Crab shack??

balconyfriends

We did the Crab Shack twice on last week's cruise on the Island and loved it. Great food and they offered more when my hubby asked for some. Well worth the $20 cover. On our cruise they had a table set up in the hallway outside the Horizon Court with a sample of the bowls of crabs and a waiter there taking reservations or we could simply call dining services. They offered it three times on our 10 day cruise.

We've seen a table by the Horizon Court but called the DINE line to make our reservation. I've also seen a waitress walking through the HC and pool area dressed in a crab outfit offering reservations.

We enjoyed it & there was more than enough food for us and with cracking the legs we needed the apron they provided. ;)

On our November cruise, they were only outside the Horizon Court one day, I think boarding day or the next day. We were so happy that we didn't miss the opportunity. I heard others that walked by while we were there wondering when they could have booked it.

On my last cruise they didn't have any tables with samples, but the days it was available were listed in the Patters. Just called the Dine Line to reserve. Reservations went quickly! It was delicious and I can't wait to go again. Tons of juicy seafood and great service. Well worth the $20. :)

We've seen a table by the Horizon Court but called the DINE line to make our reservation. I've also seen a waitress walking through the HC and pool area dressed in a crab outfit offering reservations.

We enjoyed it & there was more than enough food for us and with cracking the legs we needed the apron they provided. ;)

We signed up with the "walking crab" last cruise. I started laughing when she walked up but at least it was easy to guess what she wanted.

Where is the Crab Shack? I don't see it on the deck plans....

It is not a separate venue but a feature of the Horizon Court:

http://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/food-and-dining/whats-included/

HORIZON COURT BUFFET

Indulge in a delightful array of familiar favorites and regional dishes, in a casual setting at breakfast, lunch or dinner, and be sure to try the Crab Shack or Fondues on select evenings. Check back throughout the day as selections change and enjoy fresh fruits, a loaded salad bar and desserts galore. And our waiters are always nearby to serve your favorite beverage.

Charges apply for Crab Shack and Fondues.

Royal and Regal have a dedicated section of the HC. Caribbean, Crown, Emerald and Ruby use one side of Cafe Caribe. The other ships just set aside some tables in the HC the nights it is offered.

And just to add: while there have been a few comments that early reservations are not essential based on the onboard publicity, the night I went on Ruby they were turning away walk-ins even though not every table was occupied. How many servers and galley staff are allocated to Crab Shack each night is based on the total number of reservations which may rule out not just walk-in but last minute callers as well.

Edited by fishywood

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all,

What is "fondues" - is it like Crab Shack but for a fondue dinner? Do you also need to make reservations for this event? Anyone done it, and have any feedback?

Thanks in advance!

From Cruise Critic http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=400&pgtype=dining

"The Fondue Dispensary offers a variety of cheese fondues like classic Swiss with white wine, German cheddar with beer and a French cheese with Champagne. Other Swiss, German and Austrian specialties round out the menu. $20 cover charge".

It's also in a section of the HC but don't recall it being promoted on my most recent cruise & it appears to me that it's not as successful as the Crab Shack.

Click on this link to view a thread about Fondues which includes the menu & photos:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2162985

Edited by Astro Flyer

They had it on the Crown last October...starboard (right) side of Cafe Caribe

We were on Crown this Feb. Crab Shack was in the same place and was excellent. Reserve early though!

Edited by tonyweir

I thought I read that Crab Shack was at lunchtime???? Maybe it depends on the ship?

Recently on the grand class ships I have been on, and Regal+Royal,

crab shack is in a section of the lido at night.

When I was on coral in 2014, it was in the Bayou Cafe at lunch time.

I thought I read that Crab Shack was at lunchtime???? Maybe it depends on the ship?

Crab Shack in the HC is only at dinner. Some ships in Asia have Lobster Grill on certain days instead of hamburgers and hot dogs at Trident Grill. Some info on this thread.