Excursions - how to choose??

Margaritavillager

I suggest that you read the Ports of Call board on cruise critic for each of the places you are visiting to determine what you want to do. Surely you can find something that everyone will enjoy.

Do not limit yourself to excursions offered by the cruiseline. They are overpriced and very crowded. You can get a much better experience and much better value for your money if you engage a private tour guide that is recommended here (check their reputation on Trip Advisor too), or if you you catch a cab to the beach. Give yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship (like a 1-2 hour cushion). Reputable guides will get you back in time - the survival of their business depends on it.

here are some recommendations:

http://www.toursplaza.com/eng/hiring-driver.cfm

http://www.cozumelmexicotours.com/

I would see no problem with each person doing what they want. If two or more want to do something, they can do it together.

I agree. You don't have to do everything together. Pick out a couple of excursions that everybody wants, and pick out some individually.

Sting Ray City is not hard or life threatening. You can do as much, or as little as you wish.

Thank you DonnaK for the links.

I would love the Dolphins in GC and Tulum in Cozumel...hopefully I can get everyone on the same page. First time there for all of us and we're coming from 3 different states.

Any reason to worry if we don't go thru Carnival for excursions?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think since you're first time cruisers it's probably better to stick with shore excursions from the cruise line. Yes you do pay a little more but some of the benefits are that if the excursion is running late that they will wait for those booked on their excursions. And like someone else mentioned, it's not necessary for everyone to do the exact same thing. If some want one excursion and others another splitting up is fine. Then everyone gets to enjoy what they want to do.

I never take excursions through the cruiseline, and I think that as long as you do your research and go with a reputable private agency, then you're ok going off on your own. It doesn't matter if you are a first time cruiser or not, you just have to play it smart and be aware of the time and with whom you are working.

However, if you are planning to go to Tulum, then I would book that own through the cruiseline because it is far from the port and an all-day excursion.

BTW - ships do NOT guarantee that they will wait for late running excursions booked through them. Instead, they guarantee to get you to the next port if they cannot wait.

Edited by DonnaK

A few years back, we only booked excursions through the cruise line. We would get frustrated waiting on the inevitable thoughtless person that didn't return on time, have to leave one place we were enjoying only to be shuffled to a spot that we weren't interested in. We would stand in the boiling sun waiting on the folks booked on the excursion to slowly emerge from the ship, watching the time, knowing we were leaving late. We started booking our own excursions. We used ONLY those that were highly recommended on CC and Trip Adviser. We've never looked back. We let everyone go and do the excursions they want. We've had one of our family go scuba diving while another couple of folks went on a tour and a few that stayed on the ship to enjoy a less crowded pool. We found that we really enjoyed getting together at dinner and hearing about everyone's day. We have laughed about some of their experiences and lorded it over on some of them that didn't quite think it met their expectations while our excursion exceeded expectations. It's worked out great for us because we always had someone that pouted a little bit when we would vote on what excursion we would ALL take together. Everyone gets what they want.

The best thing I can suggest is not to try to do everything together. The first time I went on a cruise with a group of ladies there were 7 of us. A couple of them wanted to go to the Tulum ruins and I wasn't keen on the idea but went along anyway. It was one of the worst days....I am not interested in history and it was very hot and I got eaten alive by mosquitos plus the tour took up the entire 8 hours we were in port. I would rather have been on a nice beach. After that experience I feel it is better to split up if all of you don't agree on what to do. Lots of people love the ruins......it was just not my cup of tea.

Both Cozumel and Grand Cayman are easy to do on your own and it is easy to get around by yourself. Both have great beaches if you are interested in that.

By the way you do not have to be brave to swim with the stingrays. We were hesitant at first but went ahead and did it and it turned out to be the highlight of the cruise. They are very gentle and like being around people so it was an awesome experience.

Edited by Marie51

I would pull a list of all the types of things you want to do -- some islands offer the same excursions or similar so you may be able to work it out so at least 2 of you want to do the same thing all the time and sometimes all 4 of you. Usually we are a group of 6 and while we LOVE each other -- that's a lot of togetherness if we try to do everthing together. Sometimes it was fun to split into smaller groups and do whatever, then make plans to meet back for dinner and share the exerpeinces and pictures. I know people who have tried to do everything together and someone always ends up feeling pressured, or upset that they didn't get what they wanted even if they didn't speak up. Its everyone's vacation - do what you want.

There are 4 ladies going to Grand Cayman and Cozumel in April.

No one is brave enough for Stingray city so I thought Dolphins! Well two don't want to do that either. It'd be a shame to split up, but how do you choose without anyone missing out??

Whenever traveling with a group I don't plan or expect everyone to be together at all times especially excursions. Each person has an expectation of what they want to experience and we just all agree that we do what we want regarding excursions. If someone else wants to do the same thing than that's just a bonus. It's actually fun sitting at dinner and listening to what everyone did that day.

That's how you choose without missing out .

Is there a reason you have to stay together?

No sense spending the money on something people will not enjoy.

When we cruise with groups, heck even when I cruise with just my husband, we always agree to meet up at dinner and discuss our next days plans. Sometimes we do tons together, sometimes dinner is the only interaction.

There are 4 ladies going to Grand Cayman and Cozumel in April. No one is brave enough for Stingray city so I thought Dolphins! Well two don't want to do that either. It'd be a shame to split up, but how do you choose without anyone missing out??

Why do you have to do everything together? Each one picks a tour, each one pays for herself. The cruise tours take you on a bus at the pier, and bring you back. You meet for dinner to talk about your adventures.

If you do your own tour, make sure you are back on time - not the time of sailing, but 1/2 or 1 hour before it. Also make sure your watch is on the ship time - double-check in the morning (cabin TV has ship time)

There are 4 ladies going to Grand Cayman and Cozumel in April.

No one is brave enough for Stingray city so I thought Dolphins! Well two don't want to do that either. It'd be a shame to split up, but how do you choose without anyone missing out??

What are you goals? If staying together has a group is your goal, then you are going to have to find some sort of a compromise.

However, if adventure is your goal, then split up and then share your adventure together at dinner.

FYI - you can go to Stingray City and not get in the water. You can also go to where the dolphins are and just watch (without paying for the swim with the dolphins).