Help with mascara

Cruiser-66

I'm in my 60's and the last few years I've been trying all kinds of mascara thinking I will soon find one that works. Well everything I've tried has failed! Either it's so light I can't tell it's on or it looks clumpy and messy. Only thing I can think of is maybe a base coat. I'm not sure if that would make a difference or not. Has anyone else had this problem? In my younger years I didn't have any problem.

Not sure I understand the, so light you can't tell it's on. Do you mean texture?

I'm afraid you're going to get 1,001 recommendations because what works for one will not for another. I tried a base coat and it did not work for me. I use Lancome Definicils. I put on a light coat on one eye, go to the other, then back to the first after it has set a bit but not completely. I keep going back and forth until I'm satisfied.

I use Dior's- Diorshow Maximizer Lash Plumping Serum. It is a white mascara that you apply first and then your regular mascara. I've found that it helps define and thicken the lashes without it being too clumpy. You can get it from Sephora. :)

Another vote for Lancôme Definicils! In black. Love it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

^^^

This one. I've been wearing it for years. Every time I try something else (Smashbox, Urban Decay, Bobbi Brown, etc.) I always come back and wonder why I ever strayed. The only time I wear something different is an Urban Decay that is waterproof if I'll be swimming.

Log on to YouTube and start watching some beauty gurus. There are people who film videos comparing and contrasting all kinds of makeup.

Some of the most talked about mascaaras on YouTube are:

Better Than Sex

Lights Camera Lashes

Loreal Voluminous

One thing with mascara is it dries up quickly so if you are a casual user you may not really get much use of it.

My issue is it seems my left eyelashes always come out perfect.....:)

but my right ones seem to stick together:eek:......how weird is that?:rolleyes:

I get tired of trying new Mascara's.....Maybelline works as well as any

I have tried.

And the "higher end names" seem soooooo $$$$$.........

My issue is it seems my left eyelashes always come out perfect.....:)

but my right ones seem to stick together:eek:......how weird is that?:rolleyes:

I get tired of trying new Mascara's.....Maybelline works as well as any

I have tried.

And the "higher end names" seem soooooo $$$$$.........

When it comes to mascara you really get what you pay for. I keep going back to Cover Girl loose powder, but mascara is a totally different animal.

• 2 weeks later...

K's wife here: I used to swear by Definicils but for the last year and a half I'm a devotee of Cover Girls' revolting looking lime green tube of Clump Crusher. It out Definicils Definicil if that makes sense. I have oily hooded lids that make most mascaras melt into panda circles and I'm 58 with wrinkles for the fallout to collect in, but this one doesn't clump, flake or run.

It's a bit of a learning curve getting used to the weird applicator, but I use a windshield wiper move on the outer lash tips, clumping them up with loads of mascara then I roll in and comb out the clumps and let it dry. Lasts all day, but in the tropical heat you need to reapply before a formal night.

Best of all it's cheap. If it doesn't work you aren't out the huge investment of the more expensive mascaras and personally dh and I would rather spend more money on a cruise. :D

Forgot to add, when the cruise is over I like to toss my mascara. It's been in the heat, subject to various germs I pick up during travel and for my own health and safety I prefer to travel with my old tube and toss it when I get home. I find myself tempted to really hang onto my more expensive mascaras like Definicils to the bitter end to really get my money's worth but the cheap stuff -- it's gone when the trip is done and I start fresh again.

I know the "experts" say every 3 months you should replace mascara but who does that with really expensive mascara? With Clump Crusher, I find it a lot less painful when it lands in the trash bin.

I have the same problem not to mention when I take off my glasses I can't see to apply mascara. LOL

What I do is right before a cruise I have my lashes dyed. It takes about 15 minutes costs about $20 and lasts for 30 days. I think it is the best thing since sliced bread. Now, my lashes always look good even right out of the pool or the gym.

I, too, have noticed my eyebrows and lashes are thinning now that I'm over 60.

I use Revlon's Brow Fantasy and LOVE it. I use the Dark Blonde, because I have dark brows but very fair skin. It has a wonderful pencil/crayon end, and a gel brush at the other end. Very natural looking.

Eyelashes (and, this is for Lois R, too):

I don't buy expensive mascara, and I found Maybelline's Colossal works great because the brush is big.

It's not the mascara that's causing the application problems, it's the ANGLE you apply it to thinning (or thin) lashes. I am extremely nearsighted, so I put mine on by feel, and then get on top of the mirror for finishing touches.

Don't goop up the brush. If there's a lot on it, use a very light stroke. Repeat applications of light amounts works better. Less clumping.

Don't lean forward when putting on mascara, lean your head way back and use the brush. Don't start at the base; apply from halfway up the lash, which is the part you can get to first with your head back. Lashes can grow toward your nose, or outward, so this technique gets them all.

Brush toward the corner of your eye, not straight up. Brush the outer tips with the tip of the mascara brush AFTER you do the main application. This gives you that nice "butterfly" effect.

Touch up the ends very lightly.

Repeat on the ends with the head-back-outward-brushing, but very lightly this time.

Edited by pcur

Hi Peggy,:) thanks for your tips but I guess I am not bright enough

to understand them all:eek:...don't lean forward? Start at certain point?

I just want to have mascara on for work.....the angle? I stand in

front of the mirror and put on my mascara.....:confused:

Some women tend to lean into/toward the mirror to put on mascara. With your head tilted forward you end up with more mascara at the base of the eyelash, and that adds to clumping as you brush upward. The lashes are thicker at the base; they "grab" more.

Tilt the head back, start at the mid-lash point. You will pretty much be forced to start mid-lash with the brush, because you won't be able see the base.

As you brush the eyelash, sweep the brush like you were going to end up at your temple. This works the mascara toward the outside lashes, instead of having lots on the middle lashes. If you look at advertisements for mascara you will see that they emphasize the outer lashes. That's the effect you want.

Touch up the lashes and ends wherever you want more mascara with the same application. There will be less mascara on the brush, so the tips will not get a big clump of mascara.

Less is better, with repeated applications.

I usually do two applications on each side, alternately. By the time you get back to a side you've already applied, the mascara will have dried, and you aren't just adding wet on top of wet mascara.

I'm assuming you switch hands, too. Use the hand on the same side as the eye where you're applying it.

greatful for all the tips - I need help too in that dept -- anyway, Lois... I saw your posting on Welcome.. forgot what forum - and commented.. but guess you haven't been back to that particular thread -

anyway, just wanted to say HI - it's been awhile but I am always glad to run into you here on CC - I think I commented that I saw one of your pics with Bill and Rosie - hope you see THIS post- !!! ha!ha! Corkey Carol

greatful for all the tips - I need help too in that dept -- anyway, Lois... I saw your posting on Welcome.. forgot what forum - and commented.. but guess you haven't been back to that particular thread -

anyway, just wanted to say HI - it's been awhile but I am always glad to run into you here on CC - I think I commented that I saw one of your pics with Bill and Rosie - hope you see THIS post- !!! ha!ha! Corkey Carol

Hi Carol,:) I think it was the 55 and older forum? I haven't been

back there....thanks for the compliment:).....have we met on a cruise

before?:eek:

Hi Carol,:) I think it was the 55 and older forum? I haven't been

back there....thanks for the compliment:).....have we met on a cruise

before?:eek:

No - we have only shared several CC threads and you were quite pleasant in your postings - I have only been on 2 X ships and I know you cruise mostly on X ... chat with you more later... Corkey Carol