booking reservation time for select dining

twentyknots

We will be cruising on the Reflection in December with Select Dining option. After reading comments about long wait times on the Reflection due to recent Suite Dining changes, and the benefit of making reservations for a preferred dining time, I asked my TA to make reservations for 6pm each night. She said we had to wait until 4 to 5 months before sailing. I decided to do it myself and see the following comment on the website under Select Dining:

Celebrity Select Main Dining reservations can be made online up to four days prior to sailing, or once onboard with the Maitre d'. Subject to availability. Gratuities must be prepaid in order to participate in Select Dining. Only groups of 20 or less can be seated at one time.

I've seen several posts where it is recommended to make these reservations early as they fill up fast. I'm confused. I understand the website to say these reservations can't be made any earlier than 4 days before sailing.

The only time we have experienced a wait of any length (20 mins)in select dining was when we wanted to dine right after the show. Even with reservations it can take a few minutes before you are seated.

If you want to make reservations you can do it on-line yourself no need to involve the TA. I will caution you you must do each day separately, there is no way to do a reservation for the same time each day in one transaction.

You might want to make a reservation for the first day or 2 and then the rest once in the ship.

Actually, when I read the website instructions again, I see that maybe it means reservations can be made at any time up to 4 days before sailing.

I believe I made our reservations around 3 months prior to our Cruise..the website was giving me problems, so I just called Celebrity and spoke to a representative who reserved the times that I requested. We love Select Dining!:D

To me there are two reasons for select dining:

1. You go when you feel like it each day. Some days early, some days later.

2. You don't get 'stuck' with people you don't care for or, worse, you get a table for 6-8 and you are the only ones who show up, leaving you sitting with just you and cabin mate at a big table.

With select dining, you can sit with others or not, as you please and you meet different people at each dinner

I really don't get the concept of making reservations in Select Dining for a specific time. Seems to me the point was that you go when you feel like dining. I've never experienced a wait longer than about 5 minutes.

I agree. I think making reservations with select dining defeats the whole concept. If you want 6pm every night, do early seating. We have never had to wait more than 15 minutes with select. I choose select because I never know what is going to happen during the day. Maybe I don't feel like eating at all. Maybe I had too much at the pool bar and I am napping. Maybe the burgers looked good in the buffet. Maybe they are having a watch sale that I can't miss. :D

Actually, when I read the website instructions again, I see that maybe it means reservations can be made at any time up to 4 days before sailing.

Yes, you can make reservations online UP TO 4 days before, otherwise you need to wait until you are onboard. I have made reservations for the first evening for each of my three upcoming cruises, two of them not until next February. Generally, we go when we're hungry and rarely have more than a few minutes wait, if that, however on the first night it's often disorganized for some reason and we find that by reserving that particular night we get seated more quickly. It's a little complicated to reserve online but once you get it sorted the first time it's easier for subsequent nights.

Thank you all for your replies. We have sailed many times and a few of those cruises on other cruise lines we have tried select dining on recent trips and found we liked it. We did not make reservations for a specific time, going instead whenever we wanted to, although usually early. Never had much of a wait and enjoyed meeting new people each night.

The only reason we are considering making reservations on the Reflection is from the reviews I've seen lately about long waits, which seem to be due primarily to the recent Suite changes in the main dining room.

Thank you all for your replies. We have sailed many times and a few of those cruises on other cruise lines we have tried select dining on recent trips and found we liked it. We did not make reservations for a specific time, going instead whenever we wanted to, although usually early. Never had much of a wait and enjoyed meeting new people each night.

The only reason we are considering making reservations on the Reflection is from the reviews I've seen lately about long waits, which seem to be due primarily to the recent Suite changes in the main dining room.

As previous posters have suggested, make reservations for first 2 nights and then decide what you want to do after you see how things go.

2. You don't get 'stuck' with people you don't care for or, worse, you get a table for 6-8 and you are the only ones who show up, leaving you sitting with just you and cabin mate at a big table.

With select dining, you can sit with others or not, as you please and you meet different people at each dinner

That's why we book select as well. Traditional was fine back in the day when that was the only dining choice. Now with all of the other options there is always someone missing from the table. Also sometimes I make friends before the cruise through the roll call and can arrange to eat with them if they have select as well.

I agree. I think making reservations with select dining defeats the whole concept. If you want 6pm every night, do early seating. We have never had to wait more than 15 minutes with select. I choose select because I never know what is going to happen during the day. Maybe I don't feel like eating at all. Maybe I had too much at the pool bar and I am napping. Maybe the burgers looked good in the buffet. Maybe they are having a watch sale that I can't miss. :D

The problem is nobody wants 6pm they all want 7pm which is prime time. I think Celebrity shouldn't even offer reservations for select dining online. You can barely make a payment or book a cruise without having to call direct. I can't see how the reservation system can work. Making a reservation for a table in a special section with a particular waiter should be outlawed. If you want the same wait staff every night book set seating of book a reservation at 8:00.

We prefer Select Dining and do not make reservations. On our recent Century cruise we became friends with a couple we met on board and most evenings dined with them. We enjoyed a particular wait team, and would ask when we entered the dining room if there was a table in their section. If one wasn't available we didn't mind a different section, but more than half the time we could be seated in our first choice.

Sheila

Yes, you can make reservations online UP TO 4 days before, otherwise you need to wait until you are onboard. I have made reservations for the first evening for each of my three upcoming cruises, two of them not until next February. Generally, we go when we're hungry and rarely have more than a few minutes wait, if that, however on the first night it's often disorganized for some reason and we find that by reserving that particular night we get seated more quickly. It's a little complicated to reserve online but once you get it sorted the first time it's easier for subsequent nights.

How do you make the select dining reservations online...they let me do specialty for just the first 2 nights with limited times but I can't find how to do the regular reservations for select dining. Thanks!

How do you make the select dining reservations online...they let me do specialty for just the first 2 nights with limited times but I can't find how to do the regular reservations for select dining. Thanks!

Go to the specialty dining page when logged in and looking at your cruise. One of the options (scroll down) is select dining. You can enter reservations there....add it to your cart and go from there.

It's screwy, but that's the way you have to do it.

We are in select dining on our next cruise. We make reservations for each night because should there be a line, we can get in the shorter reservations line. We normally eat at 7-7:15 which is often peak time so reservations can help get us seated just a little faster.

Note: unlike a restaurants at home, they don't actually hold tables for reservations...it just gets you closer to the front of the line. If you don't show up, they don't care and you haven't inconvenienced anyone. You can always just get in the walk up line at some other time.

Edited by ghstudio

The problem is nobody wants 6pm they all want 7pm which is prime time. I think Celebrity shouldn't even offer reservations for select dining online. You can barely make a payment or book a cruise without having to call direct. I can't see how the reservation system can work. Making a reservation for a table in a special section with a particular waiter should be outlawed. If you want the same wait staff every night book set seating of book a reservation at 8:00.

Must admit I agree, for me it should be about flexability for everyone and the ability to turn up at a time tha suits you dependant on the itinerary that day. This block booking of certain times just defeats the big plus of flexibility for the majority and while I understand some find the set times either too early or too late the block booking of say 7pm must give problems for those turning up and using the system as I think it should be used.

Must admit I agree, for me it should be about flexability for everyone and the ability to turn up at a time tha suits you dependant on the itinerary that day. This block booking of certain times just defeats the big plus of flexibility for the majority and while I understand some find the set times either too early or too late the block booking of say 7pm must give problems for those turning up and using the system as I think it should be used.

But with traditional you eat with the same people every night. I like to meet as many new people as possible on a cruise. Widen my horizons. If I had to do select, I would do the reservations for first night or two and then wing it.

I really don't get the concept of making reservations in Select Dining for a specific time. Seems to me the point was that you go when you feel like dining. I've never experienced a wait longer than about 5 minutes.

Last year, our group of six family members was sailing together. In traditional dining, 6:00 is too early and 8:15 (or whatever) is too late. At the risk of sounding like Goldilocks, 7:00 is just right. It took a while but on the Celebrity website, I made a 7:00 reservation for our three cabins for five of our seven nights. The first time, we had a spectacular serving staff so I asked if we could continue to be seated at the same table. I was told that if we changed our reservation to 6:45, they would accommodate us. It was a wonderful cruise and the dining experience made it even better.

We have also booked our 7.00 pm slot for the cruise, because we are creatures of habit and we are happier eating at 7.00. As everyone who has prepaid gratuities has the option to make bookings I do not feel guilty in doing this as the early sitting is too early and 8.00 is too late for us. In light of the fact that we choose to sit together (my hubby struggles to follow conversations on bigger tables due to his deafness, and we quite like our own company, even after 46 years) I can't see how we would inconvenience anyone else to any great degree.

I wish everyone on this thread a wonderful cruise, whenever and wherever they cruise.

The biggest reason to make a reservation is to develop a relationship with your Waiters and Sommelier. We just got off the Silhouette and one of the best things about the MDR was getting to know our Wait crew. It only took them a day to get to know our preferences and they took incredible care of us. By making reservations even though on select dining, we were able to get the same wait staff every night we were there. Without reservations, we might have been all over the dining room.

We are sailing in August and were able to call Celebrity and make reservations for Select dining for whatever nights we are planning on eating there (I think 4 or 5 out of the 7 nights). The main reason we made reservations is that we are traveling in a party of 12 with children ranging in age from 2 to 11 and one child with a food allergy. We figured the structure would work better for us.

We have also booked our 7.00 pm slot for the cruise, because we are creatures of habit and we are happier eating at 7.00. As everyone who has prepaid gratuities has the option to make bookings I do not feel guilty in doing this as the early sitting is too early and 8.00 is too late for us. In light of the fact that we choose to sit together (my hubby struggles to follow conversations on bigger tables due to his deafness, and we quite like our own company, even after 46 years) I can't see how we would inconvenience anyone else to any great degree.

I wish everyone on this thread a wonderful cruise, whenever and wherever they cruise.

Obviously the big disadvantage is the block booking of the 7 pm slot as seen by postings on here, is that its going to make it difficult for others that want the flexability and turn up around that time. I'm of the opinion Celebrity should not allow bookings for select as it has to effect others at peak times but as always they make the rules and people have a right to take advantage of that.

We will be cruising on the Reflection in December with Select Dining option. After reading comments about long wait times on the Reflection due to recent Suite Dining changes, and the benefit of making reservations for a preferred dining time, I asked my TA to make [/b]reservations for 6pm each night. She said we had to wait until 4 to 5 months before sailing. I decided to do it myself and see the following comment on the website under Select Dining:

Celebrity Select Main Dining reservations can be made online up to four days prior to sailing, or once onboard with the Maitre d'. Subject to availability. Gratuities must be prepaid in order to participate in Select Dining. Only groups of 20 or less can be seated at one time.

I've seen several posts where it is recommended to make these reservations early as they fill up fast. I'm confused. I understand the website to say these reservations can't be made any earlier than 4 days before sailing.

The only reason I mentioned 6pm is the OP said that's what time they wanted to eat:D

I still can't get to the select dining reservation. After I choose the 2 of us under dining it leaves me there. No place to find select dining...what am I missing?

Once you've signed into My Celebrity, choose which cruise you are wanting (if you have more than one booked), click on Manage my Reservation, click on Cruise Planner, hover over Dining and Beverage, click on Select Dining on left side, click on Add To Cart, click each guest you want to choose, click Next button, select Date and then Time, click Add to Cart, should show $0 balance, click Continue Checkout, next page fill in your name and email for a confirmation and you're done! Good Luck!