leaving the ship strategy?

TeachKinde

Last time we disembarked in San Francisco (a little over a year ago) it was a cluster.....

We had a LOT of time planned into our departure and BARELY made our flight. (Actually, we only made it because the flight was delayed!) I felt that we spent a lot of time getting off the ship and getting our luggage at the port. Question: Does anyone opt out of putting bags outside of their cabin and just deal with them on their own? Seems like it would save time if you are concerned about connections. Wisdom anyone?

Don't know if they're getting their act together across the board or only at certain ports. Last Sunday (18th) in Bayonne was the smoothest ever. Put our bags out the night before. Off at 810, in a taxi at 835 and at EWR at 9.

Last time we disembarked in San Francisco (a little over a year ago) it was a cluster.....

We had a LOT of time planned into our departure and BARELY made our flight. (Actually, we only made it because the flight was delayed!) I felt that we spent a lot of time getting off the ship and getting our luggage at the port. Question: Does anyone opt out of putting bags outside of their cabin and just deal with them on their own? Seems like it would save time if you are concerned about connections. Wisdom anyone?

I've done it when time was important, but generally prefer to just put them out. Many do the walk off with their own bags.

If you're willing to take your bags off yourself, you can leave when you want and beat the huge line at Customs etc. One more reason we travel with carry on only. If you use space saver bags you an get a whole suitcase of clothes into a carryon. Edited by s2kreno

We did the self disembarkation once, on an NCL cruise, due to an early flight. We left so early that we had no delay getting access to the elevation for our luggage. Also, we had arranged for transport to the airport instead of relying on taxis (because it was 6am). It worked out well, if you can handle your luggage without assistance.

If you have to go through US immigration and customs, then an early start will help you get through early. Check with the service desk as to how early you can disembark and whether of not US immigration will be ready.

We tend to fly out fairly early so we mostly self-disembark.

We line up our suitcases at the designated place about 45 minutes ahead of when they tell us to line up. Literally we're always among the first dozen or so to walk off the ship. It's a bit cumbersome for a short while, but we catch the first taxi we see and we're off. Virtually no line anywhere and no finding luggage.

We travel with 1 checked bag and 1 carry-on and we always carry our own bags off the ship. If you have the ability to collect your own bags from the baggage claim and take them to your car or taxi, then you probably have the ability to transport them off the ship. I don't see any purpose in giving the bags to Celebrity and the baggage handlers to risk damage, loss or additional delays. If you have any concerns, then carry your own bags off the ship and leave as early as you can.

Good Luck

If you each have a carry on and one suitcase I would disembark myself as others have said you have your luggage and it will not be lost. That is the quickest and easiest.

We handle our own bags 100% of the time even when we don't have a plane to catch. It's easy and quick and you never lose your bags.

And this is the reason that the carry off line is really long for people who really need to get off early to make a flight.

Thanks a bunch.

DON

And this is the reason that the carry off line is really long for people who really need to get off early to make a flight.

Thanks a bunch.

DON

Really? Although I have only used the regular "carry your own luggage" off process once it has always been my understanding that it is no way intended for those that have chosen to book their flights too early for the regular process.

Do not give Celebrity another option for charging a fee by charging more for those that must get off first to make a flight. I bet the line would be short with that kind of process.

Thanks a bunch.

DON

You're welcome. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers. NOWHERE does Celebrity stipulate that the self disembark is for people catching early flights ONLY. The only rule is that you MUST be able to manage your own bags. If you booked an early flight, then make sure you are first in line.

Right on jagoffee.

Edited by TeaBag

we used the luggage valet program the last few cruises and it was sooo worth it! You pay $20 per checked bag plus the airline bag fee, put the bag out the last night (keep our carry on bags with us) and see our baggage again at our home airport. Get our boarding passes on board and leave the ship leisurely, go right to security at the airport. Easy peasy

we used the luggage valet program the last few cruises and it was sooo worth it! You pay $20 per checked bag plus the airline bag fee, put the bag out the last night (keep our carry on bags with us) and see our baggage again at our home airport. Get our boarding passes on board and leave the ship leisurely, go right to security at the airport. Easy peasy

This would not help a person with an early flight. Usually flight cannot depart before noon. Otherwise, it's great.

And there is a time limit that usually does not allow the luggage valet for early flights. The luggage valet operator needs time to collect and deliver the luggage to the airport.

Definitely not 'Easy peasy" for anyone trying to catch a earlier flight.

(Sorry previous post wasn't there when I completed my response)

Edited by bigbeergut

We use self disembarkation in Sydney in order to catch an early flight home to NZ. We are able to do this because we know the system very well, but if I was in a foreign port that I didn't know I would choose a later flight in case of "THE UNKNOWN" striking.

We had some cruise friends that did self-embarkation on a cruise and had to wait 20 minutes for an elevation on the ship, just to get off the ship. They barely made it to their flight.

If you do this, it pays to go as early as possible to avoid this.

We handle our own bags 100% of the time even when we don't have a plane to catch. It's easy and quick and you never lose your bags.

we do the same. Have kept our bags for the last 20 cruises. Then we control the process from beginning to end.

yesterday, we got off the quest 2 hrs earlier because we had kept our bags.

schedule was for 9 am....... we were ready at 7.......... so we walked off.

We will be staying in San Juan extra days after our cruse. The ship arrives at 7am. Check-in at the hotel is 4pm. So, we will be in no hurry to leave the boat. Would it be just as easy to leasurly pack in the morning and carry our own bags off? We will be just catching a cab to the hotel.