Tunisia aftermath

babs135

How many cruisers are re-evaluating their trips? Terrorism knows no boundaries and if we are truly honest none of us is safe anywhere at the moment.

We've nothing booked at the moment apart from a holiday in Israel (probably safest place just now!) which we will still do and we hope to book a cruise towards the end of the year. I refuse to let these b.....ds win and will do all I can to carry on normally.

Hope most people feel the same. In the meantime my heart goes out to all those people caught up in the atrocity.

I agree to an extent about going on with your life...but I would NOT go on with it in that area. We are soooo HATED...and we are targets...

It's one thing to live without fear, but you don't stroll thru a minefield and that's what the middle east and Africa are right now.

I have absolutely changed my ideas of where it is safe to take a vacation. I'm not referring to cruises in general but most of my dream destinations for land-based trips are not comfortable for me at this time so I've made other choices.

It's one thing to live without fear, but you don't stroll thru a minefield and that's what the middle east and Africa are right now.

How far do you think the "minefield" stretches today? Paris, Bali, Indonesia, Norway, England, Mexico, Canada, the U.S.?

"It" can happen anywhere! Some places a bit more likely that others, it is true.

Not changing my plans at all. Have 3 weeks on a ship coming up to Baltics and the Med.

What i can't understand is people saying they will not go to Africa. Africa is several times bigger than USA. Or are they saying they wont go to an extremely small area of Africa?

Perhaps i should not go to America this year because of what happened in Mes yesterday?

Luv the OP's post and totally agree. DW and I have been adventurous travelers for over thirty years and do not let these fear merchants effect our decisions. In fact, when the IRA was causing all kinds of problems in the OP's country that is when DW and I would jump on a reduced-fare flight to England. About 6 years ago DW and I spent 2 weeks traveling around Egypt (by ourselves) when most tourists were avoiding the country. And that was a wonderful trip made even better by all the grateful Egyptians that would walk up to us and say "thank you for coming to my country."

On the other hand, there are times when I do vote with my dollars! At this time I would not consider any kind of trip to Russia because of Putin's antics and the relatively new anti-American attitude. You might call this my own version of an economic boycott.

Hank

Terrorist acts can happen anywhere. I try to be "proactive" in researching the ports of call so that I am generally aware of the risks and make my plans accordingly. I will, however, generally avoid regions that are highly volatile. I hope to do two cruises in SE Asia next year.

Happy & Safe cruising to all!

I remember having a conversation about flying with someone who was afraid of getting on an airplane. I told her that, if it was your time to go, it didn't matter whether you were on the ground or in the air. She couldn't see getting into an airplane and increasing her chances.

I know this seems pretty light-hearted and I am painfully aware that people are grieving right now for the lives lost. I am, as well. I can't imagine saving and planning for the trip of a lifetime, only to have this horrific tragedy happen.

Would something like this keep me from traveling? Probably not. As others have said, terrorism can and does happen anywhere. You only have to look at the changed skyline of New York City to know that.

I agree to an extent about going on with your life...but I would NOT go on with it in that area. We are soooo HATED...and we are targets...

I probably wouldn't change my mind. I would still go. The vast majority of people in MENA do not hate Americans. It's the minorities that make the news. And yes, it only takes one person to kill you...but the vast, vast, vast, vast majority of Americans and foreigners in Tunisia went to bed safely.

Perhaps I am just a bit too relaxed because I travel globally for my job, and end up in sometimes sketchy places...but I have the mindset of "when it's my time, it's my time". And I've never really shaken that attitude.

Not changing my plans at all. Have 3 weeks on a ship coming up to Baltics and the Med.

What i can't understand is people saying they will not go to Africa. Africa is several times bigger than USA. Or are they saying they wont go to an extremely small area of Africa?

Perhaps i should not go to America this year because of what happened in Mes yesterday?

LOL Dave. Perhaps you might want to avoid the USA this year because of the currency situation. Hard to believe what has happened to the strength of the US dollar in the past few months :).

Hank

Luv the OP's post and totally agree. DW and I have been adventurous travelers for over thirty years and do not let these fear merchants effect our decisions. In fact, when the IRA was causing all kinds of problems in the OP's country that is when DW and I would jump on a reduced-fare flight to England. About 6 years ago DW and I spent 2 weeks traveling around Egypt (by ourselves) when most tourists were avoiding the country. And that was a wonderful trip made even better by all the grateful Egyptians that would walk up to us and say "thank you for coming to my country."

On the other hand, there are times when I do vote with my dollars! At this time I would not consider any kind of trip to Russia because of Putin's antics and the relatively new anti-American attitude. You might call this my own version of an economic boycott.

Hank

I agree with you 100%. I took cruise to the Baltics off my wish list for the near future list because all of them, within our time frame, stopped in St. Peterburg. I choose not to give Russia any of my USD.

Instead,we will be doing a 13 day Iberian Penisula cruise in summer of 2016.

I too have been to many area in Mexico, Central American on land trips in the last five years and never felt unsafe. Beautiful countries and great people.

We will not travel anywhere that has a warning with the US State Department.

Their page on Tunisia currently states, "U.S. citizens should exercise caution when frequenting public venues that are visited by large numbers of foreigners, such as hotels, shopping centers, tourist sites and restaurants. U.S. citizens should also be alert to the possibility of kidnapping."

There are also sections on avoiding crowds, the interior, crime, robbery, violence against women, and terrorism.

No thank you.

Prefer to stay in safer areas such as Australia where the alert mentions petty crime and not getting too drunk in crowded bars.

Port security and competence of local security force are two good indicators which port is high risk or safe to visit. Terrorists are cowards who like to go after soft targets and countries with lax security or shaky central government. Israel is safe but the rest of ME, not so much.

I remember having a conversation about flying with someone who was afraid of getting on an airplane. I told her that, if it was your time to go, it didn't matter whether you were on the ground or in the air. She couldn't see getting into an airplane and increasing her chances.

I know this seems pretty light-hearted and I am painfully aware that people are grieving right now for the lives lost. I am, as well. I can't imagine saving and planning for the trip of a lifetime, only to have this horrific tragedy happen.

Would something like this keep me from traveling? Probably not. As others have said, terrorism can and does happen anywhere. You only have to look at the changed skyline of New York City to know that.

Chiming in here from someone that hates flying. I don't know your friend but in my case, my fear is based on control issues and claustrophobia. It took me years to finally bite the bullet and book an international flight from NY to BCN for a Med cruise.

The thought of being trapped in a plane for 9 hours caused such extreme anxiety that I lost sleep and 9 lbs which I cannot afford to lose. In fact, at boarding time, I almost passed out when it was time to board the plane. This was with a prescription for Xanax..yes, it was that bad.

Why did I do it? I have a greater fear of missing out on all there is to see in this world.

Was it worth it? Yes and will do it again.

Due to the developments in Tunisia, my husband doesn't want to hear of foreign travel at the moment which is very sad.

I keep telling him we live in NY, probably the biggest target for terrorism. We dealt with 9-11 and lost three friends that day in the towers. We had no choice but to go on but we are forever scarred.

I do understand his concern to some extent as I was at work when the planes hit the towers and finally left when the Pentagon was hit. I just needed to get back home to my teenage sons who were in school at the time. You've all heard the term " flight or fight response". Mine was flight..gotta be with my family. If I was overseas, I wouldn't have my loved ones with me.

I found a great itinerary for 2016 which would include a number of ports on my bucket list but DH doesn't even want to discuss it at the moment.

I've actually considered booking and if he's not comfortable sailing, asking a friend to join me but I think it would create such disharmony in my house that I have to wait it out at this time.

I don't think I'm alone in this. Certainly, there are other couples that are grappling with this right now.

Sad, very sad.

Edited by celebrity

I will be starting a month long cruise in the Mediterranean in two weeks. Among the ports to be visited will be ones in Israel and Turkey. Is the Middle East dangerous? It certainly is but then so are areas of almost all countries in the world. I'm sorry but there are plenty of places that I have not yet seen. I want to see them.

I will be starting a month long cruise in the Mediterranean in two weeks. Among the ports to be visited will be ones in Israel and Turkey. Is the Middle East dangerous? It certainly is but then so are areas of almost all countries in the world. I'm sorry but there are plenty of places that I have not yet seen. I want to see them.

Have a wonderful time!

As I similarly posted in another online forum:

A mass incident like this takes over the public imagination precisely because there are many deaths grouped together. Like an airplane crash, where it's a "bunch", not a series of individual deaths.

In 2013, there were 32,719 vehicle deaths in the USA. That averages out to almost 90 people per day. Had they been bunched together rather than spread out in ones and twos across the country, the emotional effect would be far greater. You'd never want to get into your car to go to the grocery store. In reality, you willingly do so now because the numbers are scattered and the emotional impact is diminished.

Statistically, you are far more likely to die driving to the airport for your cruise than you are being killed by a terrorist. Or even on the airplane itself.

If you drastically modify your normal life to "compensate" for the terrorist activity, the terrorists win. I flew soon after 9/11 and did so without fear.

If you really want to get a handle on statistics and news reporting for laymen, I highly suggest John Allen Paulos' excellent book "A Mathematician Reads the Newspaper".

Some people will cower in fear and not leave their familiar surroundings, some will tell the terrorists to "F**K" themselves and continue to travel. I'm in the continue to travel group. Things can happen anywhere, anytime: a terrorist bomb, a car wreck, a train wreck, a fire, an earthquake. The US State Department will issue a travel warning if someone sneezes in a foreign country ;)

I've been on a week-long vacation in Israel in 1998 when Saddam was lobbing Scuds. It was during the Winter Olympics week and everyone as "pledged" to a truce, but no one trusted Saddam. It was a most enjoyable vacation. I was in Egypt and Jordan in 2009 - no hint of fear in me and I found everyone very friendly and welcoming. I've traveled solo many places and haven't felt fear (well, maybe walking from Eataly back to the Andaz 5th Ave in NYC alone at midnight).

You have to do what you are comfortable with, but don't cloister yourself - that is what the terrorists want you to do.

I don't think there is a 'right or wrong'. For those who say they will not be kept from traveling, I applaud you. For those who say, I don't want to risk the worry, fear, concern you are absolutely right.

We don't know anyone's story. The hale and hearty 40 something year old childless couple has one set of concerns and not others.

The young parents of six year old twins likely has all together different viewpoint.

How about the 60 something year old widow who traveled with her DH for over 40 years and now has to either travel alone or not go? Does she have concerns the young 'uns cannot understand?

Please don't be overbearing to those who say they will travel or to those who say they likely will not.

JMO........

I don't think there is a 'right or wrong'. For those who say they will not be kept from traveling, I applaud you. For those who say, I don't want to risk the worry, fear, concern you are absolutely right.

We don't know anyone's story. The hale and hearty 40 something year old childless couple has one set of concerns and not others.

The young parents of six year old twins likely has all together different viewpoint.

How about the 60 something year old widow who traveled with her DH for over 40 years and now has to either travel alone or not go? Does she have concerns the young 'uns cannot understand?

Please don't be overbearing to those who say they will travel or to those who say they likely will not.

JMO........

Excellent post. Hence the reason I'm not booking a cruise at the moment. I want to go, my husband does not.

As per my previous post, my husband worked in lower Manhattan 9-11 . I worked 20 miles away. I was the one that had the ability to leave my office and return home. My husband was not afforded that luxury. He had to be tested for carcinogens as the result of the jet fuel and debris that fell from the towers. He saw the devastation first hand, not on a TV screen.

I can't discount his trepidation. Forcing him into a stressful situation defeats the purpose of a vacation.

You can rationalize and provide all the statistics in the world but if someone is traumatized, that data is meaningless.

I'm hoping he will come around and willingly travel to Europe next year.

To all those that can do so, enjoy! I hope I'm in that camp soon.

Mexican resorts are actually quite safe. They have armed soldiers and navy patrol boats out in force to protect the cruise ship and surrounding port area. Just don't venture out of the tourist area on your own or against your better judgement.

Mexican resorts are actually quite safe. They have armed soldiers and navy patrol boats out in force to protect the cruise ship and surrounding port area. Just don't venture out of the tourist area on your own or against your better judgement.

:eek: You call that safe?

I call that an armed camp.

I won't speak for you but that is not my idea of relaxation and beach vacation to have to have soldiers guarding me in order to be safe...... AND actually pay good money for the privilege? No, thanks.

Excellent post. Hence the reason I'm not booking a cruise at the moment. I want to go, my husband does not.

As per my previous post, my husband worked in lower Manhattan 9-11 . I worked 20 miles away. I was the one that had the ability to leave my office and return home. My husband was not afforded that luxury. He had to be tested for carcinogens as the result of the jet fuel and debris that fell from the towers. He saw the devastation first hand, not on a TV screen.

I can't discount his trepidation. Forcing him into a stressful situation defeats the purpose of a vacation.

You can rationalize and provide all the statistics in the world but if someone is traumatized, that data is meaningless.

I'm hoping he will come around and willingly travel to Europe next year.

To all those that can do so, enjoy! I hope I'm in that camp soon.

We are so on the same page. :)

An excellent post......

None of us can say what another feels, thinks, risks, worries......