Why hasn't this been done before?

Vitulla

Here's a question I've been asking myself for a few days? Why has celebrity, or any other cruise line have virtual deck plans? It's becoming very popular in real estate a d given technology should not be too complicated to do. Think of Google Street View on every deck. Without anyone in the shots would be great. They can even go a step further and have it like turning down a specific street but into rooms, so you would know the layout of your room before you step foot on the ship.

As an example why this would be great. I am currently booked on the equinox deck 7. I have an inside cabin but there are only 2 on that wing. What I'm wondering is what is next to me? Staff staircases? Utility rooms? I was on the allure in April and had a great balcony room but right in front of me I had a staff room where they would pick up plates and I would hear the door slam at every hour of the day. By having these virtual deck plans I would be able to see if I should change deck or room type.

EQ_Sunrise_Deck_1491.gifYou must be in one of the two aft, right? The area around you is probable the service area for the deck. Ie; steward cart storage and restocking, but that is just a guess!;)

If that's the case I might be looking for another room. In April I had clinging dishes and doors slamming all day and night.

Um, I don't think the IT Dept people are up to that. They can't even get the Xpress pass working for some.

Fabulous idea though.

I think Google does it for free. Celebrity would have to reach out to them and they would have to figure out all the details. It would be a little complicated and probably take a few weeks to get everything as some parts of the ship would have to be closed to get the right shots. But a ship in drydock would be absolutely perfect.

If that's the case I might be looking for another room. In April I had clinging dishes and doors slamming all day and night.

We were on deck 9 on the hump last yr on the Reflection, and are on deck 8 again, on the hump. There was no noticable noise up and down the hall at all.

While this might be great for you and I, it's not so good for the cruise company when they are trying to sell all the cabins, not just the best ones.

This would not only be for cabins, actually that's the last thing they should put, but they should have all the venues, speciality restaurants, pool decks etc. I'm a visual person but my wife and mother are not. Before getting on your cruise you can do a virtual walk around of your ship, go into the speciality restaurants, walk the promenade etc. Create hype...

Edited by Vitulla

Here's a question I've been asking myself for a few days? Why has celebrity, or any other cruise line have virtual deck plans? It's becoming very popular in real estate a d given technology should not be too complicated to do. Think of Google Street View on every deck. Without anyone in the shots would be great. They can even go a step further and have it like turning down a specific street but into rooms, so you would know the layout of your room before you step foot on the ship.

As an example why this would be great. I am currently booked on the equinox deck 7. I have an inside cabin but there are only 2 on that wing. What I'm wondering is what is next to me? Staff staircases? Utility rooms? I was on the allure in April and had a great balcony room but right in front of me I had a staff room where they would pick up plates and I would hear the door slam at every hour of the day. By having these virtual deck plans I would be able to see if I should change deck or room type.

Sounds like a great idea... At least for public spaces it would be cool to be able to "walk the little yellow man icon" thru the ship.

Until that happens, unfortunately all us keen cruisers have to make due with CC, the info here from others, and their shared photos & videos. It is time consuming... When a cruise ship does an interactive walk thru it will be awesome (Google Streetview has been so successful that I have heard that the concept is now starting to catch on with other venues... Know for example it is being utilized for Canada's Ntl Parks & Historic Sites. So the idea is coming... Just hasn't hit the cruise market as of yet)

As for your immediate needs:

1- Stairs & Elevators

Check the Deck Plans. There are only 2 Inside Cabins in this area on Deck 7, but many more on Decks 8, 9 and 10. So you can be assured that there is no Crew Staircase or Elevator (also you are technically located over the MDR... Any Crew Service Elevator would be farther aft, closer to the Kitchen Area for Room Service etc)

2- Service Closets Etc

Check the S-Class Cabin Spreadsheet STICKY for Reviews of Cabins in the area, often people have reported in their replies where the Service Closets / Crew Areas are. LIBRARYLADY19's last Spreadsheet was as of yesterday on page 109 (Reply # 2179) ... From that point to the end... Will be cabin numbers that haven't been added to the Spreadsheet... So you will want to do a quick skim thru of those too.

Use the Deck Plans to see Cabin Numbers for all the S-Class Ships... As numbers may not always be consistent ship to ship although the footprint is virtually identical. Generally speaking cabins in the same physical location will have the same pros & cons

Ask someone sailing on the Equinox to go look for / ask for you. Might be easiest achieved by checking in with an upcoming Roll Call.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Would be nice to know where the stacks go up....and all sorts of other things

We got an upgraded cabin on a Royal ship once, but the blank area turned out to be some type of noisy blowers...that ran 24/7

Hope OP gets an answer,,,,

IT Dept has enough to contend with right now!

Probably one of the reasons Celebrity doesn't do it even if their IT dept could figure it out.

Each ship has lots of dead space (ie, no customer cabins) and fear of the unknown is usually less than fear of the known.

I doubt you'd hear anything from that dead space and if you did it would most likely only be during the daytime. I've stayed in cabins near dead space and have usually heard more noise from the cabins around me rather than from the dead space.

We have done a lot of cruising (far more then 3 years on ships) and use a few basic steps if we decide to select a cabin (we sometimes do guarantees). Simply use the existing deck plans and look at what is above, below, and around the cabin. We prefer cabins that are surrounded by other cabins (on all sides) although this is no guarantee of quiet neighbors. Another favorite personal strategy is to book cabins up near the bow! This goes against most thinking so I will explain. The heaviest mechanical equipment in any ship is located around the central axis...or the center of the ship. So cabins in the desirable middle of a ship are over the engines which can be annoying on certain vessels. Cabins in the rear third of a ship can suffer from prop vibration, and there is usually major blower/ventilation equipment located near the main stacks which are located in the rear third of most ships.

The area far forward does suffer from more movement in rough seas, but DW and I look at movement as no big deal and it can rock us asleep. But there are no major mechanical systems in the forward quarter of most ships and below decks this is primarily storage areas. The bow thrusters can be annoying up near the bow, but they only use these when entering and leaving a port so its no biggie. And since the bow quarter cabins are not the most popular they are often put in a lower cabin category so one can get these cabins at a lower price.

Hank

They really don't want to make it easy.... the less you know the better.

That certainly seems true. they could so easily mark a white space as storage or whatever and could indicate which wall the bed was against. But for whatever reason they just don't want us to know.

This has sort of spiraled in the direction I wasn't hoping for. The point of the while street view is to have a look at the ship as is. Walk from one end to the other before you actually step foot on it. Seeing cabins would be an extra step. For me that only ever opted for balcony or inside, it would give me a first look at what a suite would look like. Worst case if the cruise lines don't want to go down cabin hallways, skip that part entirely.

As for their IT dept. not being able to handle it, Google offers it as a service, not sure if it's free or not, but it seems as if they do the legwork.

When are you traveling? I ask because my family is booked in veranda staterooms across the hall from those inside staterooms on the March 27 Caribbean cruise.

There are cruise lines who actually do it. AIDA for example. If you want to have a look: http://www.aida.de/kreuzfahrt/schiffe/aidasol/360-grad-rundgang-aidasol.26065.html

It´s a great way to explore the ships.

Will have a look once I get back from work, doesn't work on mobile.

Have a look at this Google Street View style tour of the Allure of the Seas, absolutely fantastic, if all cruise lines done this I'd spend hours, days, weeks looking around.

http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/google-street-view-cruise-ship/

From what I can see on my phone, this is EXACTLY what I mean. Amazing. Thanks