Tipping bartenders?

jabrown40

On our last cruise we had the drinks package, and I don't believe that I ever had to sign for any drinks. I think all they did was swipe our room card. So this is my question-do you take extra cash with you and just tip discreetly at the bar? I would like to do a little something extra when a bartender does a great job for me.

On our last cruise we had the drinks package, and I don't believe that I ever had to sign for any drinks. I think all they did was swipe our room card. So this is my question-do you take extra cash with you and just tip discreetly at the bar? I would like to do a little something extra when a bartender does a great job for me.

We simply ask for a receipt so we can tip. They get excited and get us a receipt and never forget us the rest the cruise! We don't tip each drink, but as you say, for something special and for those that do us a great job. Boarding day we tip at a couple bars we think we'll be at frequently.

We take $5s and $1s on a cruise for additional tips. I like to tip an additional buck or two to bartenders, especially at the sunset bar. Doesn't take long for bartenders to get to know us.

We tip our favorite or most frequented bartender on the last evening...as is customary on a cruise. We don't do it "per drink"...as you are in a "cashless" society on the ship...so you shouldn't need to carry money around with you!

The tips added to tabs or package prices are ample for most things...but if you go to the same person over and over...tip them additionally on the last night!

Were the same, we always tip early in the cruise, at the pool bar. DW likes her Pina Coladas made a certain way, and we find this helps.

Last month on a Costa Cruise, I was shocked, after I tipped a waitress, and she acted like it was the first cash tip she had ever received, so I guess it doesnt happen very often on there.

You can bring cash, or better yet, ask to see the receipt & "add" a little there.

Not necessarily. My main hangout is the Sunset Bar. By the end of the first, most bartenders know me by name and my beer of choice. If taking 15 seconds to reach for a beer and putting it in front of me without me asking while they are serving others is "slower", guilty.

However the reality is they are very good at serving folks on the order they appear at the bar. Regardless of whether the passenger tips or not.

Fair enough. I was not been that serious.

Overall on Reflection last year I found the service at the bar excellent. Only exception was at the sunset bar for the first few days where they seemed to be more interested in getting people who had a classic package to upgrade to premium. Was a bit annoying as we already had premium. I presume they get some kind of Commission.

They will be very happy to take tips from you either in cash or on the slip that you sign when you get your drink.. My attitude however is since they get a 15% tip for handing me a can of beer or pouring a pre-made trip, there is no reason to tip them more. A 15% tip is way too much for the limited service they provide me.

For those who say that they tip $1 per drink, do you realize that on top of the mandatory 15% tip, your additional tip means that you are tipping them at the rate of 27%. If you buy a $5 can of beer and tip at the same rate, you are tipping at 35%. Think about it.

For those of you who say that you get faster service by bribing them with cash tips, my comment is that I am entitled to exactly the same service as those who pay bribes to the bartenders. If I feel that they are serving me faster than they are serving you, that will be the very last drink that I purchase on the ship.

Maybe that is why unless I get a free drink package with my cruise, typical bar bill on a cruise is maybe $10.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

They will be very happy to take tips from you either in cash or on the slip that you sign when you get your drink.. My attitude however is since they get a 15% tip for handing me a can of beer or pouring a pre-made trip, there is no reason to tip them more. A 15% tip is way too much for the limited service they provide me.

For those who say that they tip $1 per drink, do you realize that on top of the mandatory 15% tip, your additional tip means that you are tipping them at the rate of 27%. If you buy a $5 can of beer and tip at the same rate, you are tipping at 35%. Think about it.

For those of you who say that you get faster service by bribing them with cash tips, my comment is that I am entitled to exactly the same service as those who pay bribes to the bartenders. If I feel that they are serving me faster than they are serving you, that will be the very last drink that I purchase on the ship.

DON

I'm very aware of the percentage rate. But these servers work extremely hard and a little personalized attention (tip), isn't going to impact my wallet, over the course of a long cruise. To each his own...

Was told by a bartender on a RCCL ship that they love Americans because we are not used to all inclusive including an 18 percent tip for drinks. Especially if they give you a bill to sign Americans always add an additional tip.

Love the " We get better service when we tip with a cash tip" A please and thank you also works very well.

I'm very aware of the percentage rate. But these servers work extremely hard and a little personalized attention (tip), isn't going to impact my wallet, over the course of a long cruise. To each his own...

Exactly how I feel. I do not tip because I think I will get better/faster service. I tip because I recognize that they're working very hard to make my cruise enjoyable.

I'm not from a tipping culture but please explain how tipping should be based on percentages? The smiling, recognizing you, suggesting drinks, being fast, etc doesn't get 100 times better when they bring a $500 bottle of champagne instead of a $5 can of beer?

I'm not from a tipping culture but please explain how tipping should be based on percentages? The smiling, recognizing you, suggesting drinks, being fast, etc doesn't get 100 times better when they bring a $500 bottle of champagne instead of a $5 can of beer?

The principle of tipping has been addressed and debated in hundreds of very entertaining threads on CC. So I won't debate that principle here with you.

On Celebrity the added gratuity for beverage purchases is 18%. I hold no ill feelings to those who's choose not to tip anything more. However, as a former food and beverage server from years gone by, I choose to tip a buck or two extra. My choice.

Edited by Tommy3putts

I just wanted to add my personal reasons for additional tipping.

We usually have a Suite cabin, and Michael's Club is our designated bar lounge. All drinks are gratis. And due to our Captain's Club status, coffee drinks in Il Bacio are also gratis.

Based upon these two situations, we feel it is only right to leave an additional cash tip for the servers.

I don't want to be admonished for doing what I feel is the right thing.

They are supposed to do a great job for you, that's their job. I do NOT tip extra.