What Do You Think About Traveling On Airplane With Suitcase Full Of Soda/Water?

JustCruiseMe

Do any of you have any experience? Do you think they would burst because of the pressure? We want to bring on some soda's and water but are flying in that morning.

Seems like a crazy idea. Perhaps expensive with luggage fees charged by some airlines. They would probably not break, but why not just buy the stuff after landing while on the way from airport to cruise terminal?

Do any of you have any experience? Do you think they would burst because of the pressure? We want to bring on some soda's and water but are flying in that morning.

I think it is a stupid idea especially if you have to pay for this suitcase . Seriously take a suitcase for $10 worth of soda & water ! It is not worth it !

I think it is a stupid idea especially if you have to pay for this suitcase . Seriously take a suitcase for $10 worth of soda & water ! It is not worth it !

We don't have to pay for the luggage (southwest) and 10.00 worth of water and soda would save us probably 50.00 (and more) in on board costs and we don't drink Coke products. So not quite so stupid but thanks for your input.

Just adding, I'm not asking if one thinks it's a good idea I'm asking if anyone KNOWS if the pressure would burst them.

Edited by JustCruiseMe

Buy one or two water or sodas at the airport. At your first port of call go to a supermarket and buy some sodas.

If you do decide to check it through PLEASE wrap them in diapers and ziplock bags. Usually it's MY suitcase under the leaking one.:(

Edited by SadieN

We're both Diet Pepsi drinkers. Unfortunately, most of the cruise lines seem to have a contract with Coca-Cola. So, here's what I do. I buy two eight-packs of the 20 oz. (plastic) bottles. I put two or three bottles each in doubled heavy-duty ziplock bags, then pack them in my suitcase that I check in at the airport. Never had any problems. Never had one leak or burst open. Then, after we land and claim our luggage, I transfer the bottles from my suitcase to my carry-on. By the way, when I pack, I have a digital luggage scale that I use to check the bag's weight. Even with the bottles of soda, my bag has never been overweight. If you'd rather wait until you get to the port city, take a taxi from the airport, and ask the cab driver if there's a grocery store or some place along the way where you could stop and pick up some sodas or bottled water. Be sure to give him a couple of extra dollars in the tip for stopping for you.;)

The sodas will get jostled by the baggage handlers, the changes in air pressure when ascending and descending (causing your ears to clog up) will cause the sodas to expand, and if there is a loss in air pressure....of course those sodas will be the last of your problems.

A few years ago I submitted my suitcase to checked luggage, a hard shell case with a wide aluminum frame. When I picked it up it had a dent in the case and the frame was bent to a degree that I almost did not get it open. Then locking it for the return trip was another story.

So, be careful about packing sodas/water in checked luggage. Some do get a serious drop test.

Bob

This seems like an expensive option. You'll probably have to pay a lot extra for the baggage, so why not just bring an inexpensive water-pitcher filter for the water? It's a lot easier to travel with than cases of water. For the soda, it would be cheaper to stop at a store and pick some up on the way. If you can afford the cost of the overweight luggage, you can probably cover the cost of the soda/water package.

For water, we just bring a couple of empty sports bottles and fill them on the ship. The ship water is purified by the same process as most bottled water and tastes just fine. For soda, I'd just have the taxi stop at a market on the way to port.

I agree with skipping the water. We are big water drinkers and the quality of the water on the ship has never been an issue for us.

I think bagging the sodas and then also wrapping them in a beach towel is an excellent plan. At first I was going to suggest picking up sodas when you get to the port and packing a small duffle bag to put them in, but since you won't have to pay for the extra luggage on the plane, it sounds like you have a good game plan.

Personally, for any cruises we have to travel to (other than from the Port of LA), we plan to arrive at least a day ahead. Then we have plenty of time to go to a store and get our box o'wine, Mountain Dew (I don't care for Coke either), Sobe, and whatever else we didn't want to schlep on a train or plane. Plus we already there, close to the port, without the stress of worrying about flight delays.

On our last cruise, our first port was the sixth day (we love sea days) and we got in a shopping trip, including picking up some Pepsi, grapefruit juice, etc.

Tried that once, years ago; I was visiting some friends stateside and they asked me to bring some Coca-Cola that had real sugar in it. I didn't have any problems with it bursting on me, and my suitcase squeaked under the weight limit even with it (only one case) but the security guy who x-rayed my bag gave me a weird look.

We joke about the 'coke smuggling incident' to this day.

Honestly, I think it counts as personal preference. Some people would rather not give up that much space in their suitcase/carry that much weight; some would worry about the liquid putting you over the airline's weight limit. If those aren't issues for you, and you're not bringing glass bottles, you should be fine.

Thanks, no we are bringing a small extra suitcase, travel size and checking it bc we fly southwest and we get 2 per person and we only ever check one. So we'll be good. We are going this weekend to buy the drinks/water and I am going to pack my snorkel and the small fan and perhaps some shoes in that suitcase. I have a scale for luggage so I need to make sure we aren't over weight.

Even though I am a Diet Coke drinker, I don't like to pay ship prices. At Caribbean ports, I can usually find a drug store or grocery store where I can buy a few botles. Much cheaper than ship prices and I don't have to hassle with carrying on with my luggage. No one cares at that point but I usually only get 2-3 of the 16 oz bottles so I can reseal if I don't drink the whole thing at one sitting. Most soft drinks are available everywhere in the islands so I buy a little at each port as I need it.

I can't get my favorite soda hear in Florida, but we occasionally travel to a couple of states that do, and we bring some back in checked luggage. I always buy cans, so that what I buy will last longer. However about every 1 in 4 times, one of the cans will open. Between the air pressure changes and the jostling bags, the perforation in the can top loses its strength and opens up.

It's a risk I'm willing to take for this particular product, but for the purposes of this discussion if you absolutely want to check sodas on a flight then get sealed plastic bottles.

Edited by nolesrule

First of all, the plane always carries all types of beverages to serve the passengers. So, I guess the won't burst. 2nd, I would not bother bringing anything. Just drink the FREE ice tea if you want to save. If its because you like to carry around a water bottle for convenience, then bring an empty bottle and keep filling it up w ice tea or even the water on board. For 1 week, it won't kill you. Besides, the water they serve at the dining room seems to taste good. If you want to bring something worth your trouble, bring wine LOL

• 3 weeks later...

If you are doing a Caribbean cruise, I'd just bring a couple of bottles and then purchase stuff at the first island you stop at. Might be a bit pricier than at home, but less then on the ship (if they even have what you like to drink) but a lot less hassle and effort.