Luggage tags?

lccruiser

Yes, you have to request them. They usually are available when you get official cruise documents and you request them on line. Usually takes about a week to get them, only available to US and Canadians I believe. We get 4 per person and they come with each person's name and cabin number as well as ship and sail date.

Are the luggage tags mailed automatically or do you have to request them? How soon do they mail them? How many do they mail?
We have received them automatically a number of times without requesting them.

I never paid that much attention to just when we got them, but it was after doing online check in and well before leaving for the cruise.

They sent 4 luggage tags for each of us each time.

Yes, you have to request them. They usually are available when you get official cruise documents and you request them on line. Usually takes about a week to get them, only available to US and Canadians I believe. We get 4 per person and they come with each person's name and cabin number as well as ship and sail date.

Available in the UK as well and mailed from the UK :) they usually take about a week

Ordered mine Jan. 4 after going through the online check-in process. Received them today, 12 days later. There are four for each of us. Probably spiffier looking than if we'd just run them through our printer, plus there's stickum.

Jim

There was a link just below your online check in to request luggage tags. I got mine in less than a week. Very nice with our names and room number printed.

Since we are driving from Tampa, we don't have to worry about the tags getting lost on the plane.

Sue

There was a link just below your online check in to request luggage tags. I got mine in less than a week. Very nice with our names and room number printed.

Since we are driving from Tampa, we don't have to worry about the tags getting lost on the plane.

Sue

Never put the tags on before leaving home, they are a sturdy paper,but would never make it in flight. We fly the day before and attach them before leaving the hotel or they can be attached at the pier.

Disagree with that advice. You get multiple tags, enough to put a set on before leaving home AND a replacement set if needed. Why put them on before you go? If your luggage goes astray it will be clear that the cruise line needs to be notified. You'll have your home address and phone number on your luggage bit that isn't where those suitcases need to be. Having the cruise information there means that if the suitcases are delayed there's a better chance that they will be expedited to the ship

Good luck getting luggage tags. The link doesn't work for us, so we wind up calling Celebrity. The call resulted in one set reaching us, the second never arrived. It's happening again on two upcoming cruises. It used to be funny, not so much anymore

Before we leave home I make up luggage ID tags for each trip. I put our regular contact info (name, address and mobile phone number) on them but also list our pre-cruise city and hotel and the name and sailing date of our ship.

Looks kind of like this:

My Name

Address

City state zip

Mobile: Phone #

Traveling to:

Florida hotel name from 3/14/2013 through 3/15/2013

Sailing on Celebrity Summit from Port Everglades 3/15/2013

As far as the cruise line luggage tags. I put those on when we leave from the hotel for the port for embarkation. If I have extra tags then I put second tags on other handles of our luggage, starting with the one I want to loose, or be late, the least. I do that just in case one gets ripped off.

Edited by Lsimon

The tags for our last X cruise arrived about the same time we sailed through the Panama Canal on our way home.

The stevedores will have blanks when you hand over your luggage so don't worry about your tags.

I also join the chorus of frequent flyers and cruisers who do not put the cruise tags on before flights. What we do do is put them IN the luggage if we get them or make sure that all pertinent information about embarkation etc is in each piece of luggage.

Before we leave home I make up luggage ID tags for each trip. I put our regular contact info (name, address and mobile phone number) on them but also list our pre-cruise city and hotel and the name and sailing date of our ship.

Looks kind of like this:

My Name

Address

City state zip

Mobile: Phone #

Traveling to:

Florida hotel name from 3/14/2013 through 3/15/2013

Sailing on Celebrity Summit from Port Everglades 3/15/2013

Not sure that it's a good idea to put my home address on the outside of the luggage, at least on the outward journey. I don't want anyone to know that I'm going to be away for a couple of weeks.

Not sure that it's a good idea to put my home address on the outside of the luggage, at least on the outward journey. I don't want anyone to know that I'm going to be away for a couple of weeks.

Yea, I've heard that from time to time. I guess we all decide what risks we're comfortable with and I'd rather risk exposure of my address than risk our luggage not being returned if lost. I just don't see much risk in it. I'm a firm believer in making it as easy as possible for someone finding our lost items to reunite them with us. One less step for them to take is one greater chance it would be returned to us.

Besides, our house is never empty when we're gone - there are always others there.

Edited by Lsimon

Yea, I've heard that from time to time. I guess we all decide what risks we're comfortable with and I'd rather risk exposure of my address than risk our luggage not being returned if lost. I just don't see much risk in it. I'm a firm believer in making it as easy as possible for someone finding our lost items to reunite them with us. One less step for them to take is one greater chance it would be returned to us.

Besides, our house is never empty when we're gone - there are always others there.

I'm with you Lsimon, our house is never empty when we're gone and we also have an excellent alarm system that we monitor when we are away. Like you we make tags with our pre cruise hotel information, mobil phone number, etc. :):)

Edited by drarill

Most airlines require that you put your name, address and telephone number on your luggage. However, they will accept all the information being hidden except the name, as long as the address is accessible so they can direct lost luggage.

We now use this anodized aluminum tag, which is firmly anchored by a stainless-steel cable that runs through the drilled hole in the address card and the sturdy aluminum card holder protecting that information. The brass nut that joins the two ends of the cable must be backed off to release the information.

09a0430s2.jpg

I've never had a problem getting luggage tags, except last year when I did the on-line check-in for my friends,too. There were 4 of going with two separate reservations. Somehow, the box where I checked US as Kathy's country got changed to Canada. The tags for me and my cousin came within 4 days (as usual), but two weeks passed and the other tags were still missing. I went online again to see if I could find out anything and saw the Canada on the order. I was about to call Celebrity, when Kathy called to say the tags had just come. Evidently someone had figured out the computer glitch.

3 weeks ago I did the check-in again for 4 of us. Something seemed goofy when I ordered Kathy's tags again, so I ordered them sent to me, plus my own. Well, I shouldn't have worried. She got hers and I got mine and hers, so now she and her roommate each have 8 tags.

I always put mine on when I leave home. I'm with WestLakeGirl--if the bags get lost, at least someone will see that they need to be on that ship. It doesn't guarantee delivery to that ship, but better than no info.

This time I ordered the tags on Jan. 2 and they arrived to both of us on the 6th. I love getting the tags. Makes the cruise seem somehow more real, lol.

I always have a bright yellow plastic tag with info insert, remnant from a now-defunct travel agency, on the handle of my luggage. It's are easy to see when the carousel comes around. I can't imagine being paranoid enough not to have that info available in case the bags get lost, then found. I do have the aluminum tags described below (Celebrity trivia prizes), but they are not as visible on the carousel.

As mentioned before, tags are available at the pier if you need them.