Not-so-random thoughts

terri910

Well....I'm almost -- but not exactly -- worried.

Hubby and I have been on a few cruises. Mostly with Carnival. Our first cruise, back in the early 80's, was on the Carnivale, and we are Platinum with Carnival. We have also cruised NCL and RCL, but have always found Carnival to be the best fit for our definition of "value for the money."

We just got off a trans-Atlantic cruise on NCL's Epic. And even though I think it almost impossible to have a really BAD cruise (short of the ship running aground or sinking), we both felt it was one of our least favorite cruises, as far as the ship was concerned (the itinerary was great, though). We felt as though we were nickeled-and-dimed at every turn. The service in both dining rooms was the worst we've ever experienced. It seemed as though all concerns (about other passengers not adhering to NCL's policies) taken to staff was ignored and answered with "Well, we are 'freestyle' and it is their vacation" (like it wasn't our vacation, too)...At the adults-only deck, they had a bar and small food buffet, but anything other than water (i.e., even iced tea or coffee) COST you and there was no self-service area. The rooms were tiny and poorly designed and the lighting was terrible!

We are thinking of putting together a cruise (for us and friends) on Carnival's cruise from Long Beach to the Hawaiian islands.

I read John Heald's blogs, and his Facebook posts, and I get the impression that there have been some changes made by Carnival that may make this proposed cruise feel pretty much the same. Have they really done away with the past-guest's party in the theatre or one of the lounges? And just the other day I read a post by John where he seemed to think that passengers should confront other passengers about problems rather than talk to Security or ship's staff first!

Are these kind of things happening industry wide?

*sigh*

I don't know. I imagine we will still do the cruise, but one couple that are friends of ours, this will be their FIRST cruise and we'd love for it to be the wonderful experience we found our first cruise to be. Is the service still as good in the Main Dining Rooms on Carnival ships? Do they enforce their policies? Heck, do they even still have "elegant night"?

We were disappointed in NCL. Not big fans of RCL, either. Should we be looking at Princess?

Edited by terri910

And just the other day I read a post by John where he seemed to think that passengers should confront other passengers about problems rather than talk to Security or ship's staff first!

This comment caught me off guard. Is it really that big of a deal to talk to other people? I know if I were doing something to interfere with the vacation of others, I'd much much much prefer that they just tell me so I can correct whatever I was doing rather than have some authority figure wave their finger at me.

I don't know. I imagine we will still do the cruise, but one couple that are friends of ours, this will be their FIRST cruise and we'd love for it to be the wonderful experience we found our first cruise to be.

You're looking at it with different lenses than they will. You're experienced. You've done this before. And as a result you have higher standards than newbies. They haven't, and so everything for them will be fresh and new and awesome. I'm sure they'll enjoy it.

Is the service still as good in the Main Dining Rooms on Carnival ships? Do they enforce their policies? Heck, do they even still have "elegant night"?

Yes, somewhat, and yes.

there have been changes, sure, but not as drastic as you are worriedly suspecting.

the past guest party 'changed' but it still exists. instead of being for EVERY past guest, it's for gold level (25 vifp points / days) or higher. so as platinum, you should be fine.

the 'captain's party', which used to be free drinks for all in the lounges (2 seatings) has been replaced with a 1.00 off promotion on all bars on the promenade deck typically. you can still meet the officers and captain, however imo 'it's not the same' and less frequented by many for that reason.

a new platinum benefit is that you'll be able to go to your room immediately upon boarding, the same as FTTF.

i don't know about john's comment about confronting other passengers or what that was about so cannot comment. however, i've confronted other passengers before that were just being unreasonable or unruly (line cutting, elevator bullies, etc.), just because i suppose that's how i am, but if there's anything you'd otherwise report to security or guest services you're still welcome to do that.

they did change to 3 person teams in the MDR a few years ago - but i find the service is still the same, though of course that's a highly subjective thing based on what wait team you get. if you're not happy request a new table / wait staff.

they do still have an 'elegant night' but it's just as relatively 'informal' as it has been since they relaxed the code from the former 'formal night'. many still dress up and such as they always have though, and personally if others avail themselves of the relaxed dress code it certainly does not affect me or my enjoyment - or if i choose to exceed the relaxed requirements.

if you've been happy with carnival in the past, i'd say that it hasn't changed so drastically that you will not enjoy the experience or have a similar experience to what you have enjoyed in the past. personally, i'd give it a shot, and if you're not happy - then try princess. it's more alike to what it's always been than it is different, though of course it is a dynamic experience, and some changes have indeed occurred.

Yes, there have been dramatic changes!

Formal nights are now elegant nights...We choose to dress up while others think flip-flops with glued on rhinestones are "elegant" They don't bother to enforce any dress code.

Staff: Still warm and friendly, maybe we have been lucky, but have always had great MDR staff.

Entertainment: Not what it used to be, but still makes for a great cruise.

Welcome back parties: When the drinks were free and watered down, no thanks, pay, but save buck...and get a decent drink.

And please! Do not attempt to compare Royal, Carnival, the NYC garbage barges to NCL! That is an insult to the NYC garbage barges!

This comment caught me off guard. Is it really that big of a deal to talk to other people? I know if I were doing something to interfere with the vacation of others, I'd much much much prefer that they just tell me so I can correct whatever I was doing rather than have some authority figure wave their finger at me.

Actually, I spoke about confronting other guests, not just talking to them.

The issue, specifically, was the "saving" of deck chairs. 2000 deck chairs and 4000 passengers. And a supposed policy that says "saving" deck chairs is not allowed, and if one is away from a deck chair for 1 hour then staff will remove any items from the chair, which can be reclaimed at Guest Services. But, people would get up at 6:00 a.m., put out towels, etc., to "save" the chair and then maybe -- MAYBE -- show up by 10:00 a.m. to claim their chair. The staff were not enforcing NCL's stated policy, and so you would have people coming to the deck, looking for a chair, seeing dozens and dozens of chairs with no one in them, for HOURS, but apparently unavailable. You cannot confront OR talk to someone who isn't there. And there is no way I would take on the responsibility of removing someone else's items....would you? So, people would go to ship staff and were told "It is freestyle cruising and it is their vacation!" And I mean, lots of people. Going to Guest Services resulted in promises of someone contacting you about your concerns, but never an actual contact or phone call. Want to know when they finally started enforcing their deck chair policy? On the last full sea day! *LOL* We figured it out by the 3rd day. We, too, would go up and stake our deck chair claim. But unlike others, we would make sure we were never gone for more than 45 minutes at a time! ;)

it's more alike to what it's always been than it is different, though of course it is a dynamic experience, and some changes have indeed occurred.

another thing i suppose i want to add, is that although the 'carnival experience' has changed, a lot of them are net benefits in my opinion. and as you're concerned given the 'nickel and diming' on NCL, i think you may be pleasantly surprised that most of the 'changes' are 'included' on carnival...

just a few off the top of my head:

as mentioned - platinum can now go right to your room on boarding, with priority luggage delivery - included.

guys burgers - new specialty burger joint inspired by guy fieri - included.

upgraded pizza - included.

blue iguana cantina - mexican food, tacos and burritos, etc. - included.

taste bar - featuring 'hors d'oeuvres' representative of several of new branded spaces - included (though it did replace the sushi cart / bar)

dive in movies - the big screen, with semi-current movies, with popcorn - included

cucina del capitano - italian place with made to order pasta - free for lunch, nominal charge for dinner

seaday brunch - included (though it did replace breakfast AND lunch on sea days - but imo it's menu is upgraded including things like steak and eggs, and both breakfast and lunch items - you can go for both if you like...

ropes course on magic, breeze and sunshine - included...

upgraded waterworks on numerous ships - included...

so, some change is good, and unlike some of the competition, most of the 'new stuff' they've added is actually included

another thing i suppose i want to add, is that although the 'carnival experience' has changed, a lot of them are net benefits in my opinion. and as you're concerned given the 'nickel and diming' on NCL, i think you may be pleasantly surprised that most of the 'changes' are 'included' on carnival...

just a few off the top of my head:

as mentioned - platinum can now go right to your room on boarding, with priority luggage delivery - included.

guys burgers - new specialty burger joint inspired by guy fieri - included.

upgraded pizza - included.

blue iguana cantina - mexican food, tacos and burritos, etc. - included.

taste bar - featuring 'hors d'oeuvres' representative of several of new branded spaces - included (though it did replace the sushi cart / bar)

dive in movies - the big screen, with semi-current movies, with popcorn - included

cucina del capitano - italian place with made to order pasta - free for lunch, nominal charge for dinner

seaday brunch - included (though it did replace breakfast AND lunch on sea days - but imo it's menu is upgraded including things like steak and eggs, and both breakfast and lunch items - you can go for both if you like...

ropes course on magic, breeze and sunshine - included...

upgraded waterworks on numerous ships - included...

so, some change is good, and unlike some of the competition, most of the 'new stuff' they've added is actually included

This is good to know. On the Epic, they had pizza 24/7.....but it cost you $5!!! We've always enjoyed that you could go up to Lido deck, on Carnival, and get pizza (or a Caesar salad) at any time! And free room service? Not after midnight on the Epic....after midnight there is a $3.95 "service charge." A "special" dining place? Definitely would cost you something. In addition to the 2 main dining rooms, and the Lido buffet, there was one other "complimentary" dining spot on the Epic...but once again, any drink other than water would cost you, and so would an ice cream for dessert!

You are definitely helping me feel better about the prospect of a nice long cruise on Carnival, again!

This is good to know. On the Epic, they had pizza 24/7.....but it cost you $5!!! We've always enjoyed that you could go up to Lido deck, on Carnival, and get pizza (or a Caesar salad) at any time! And free room service? Not after midnight on the Epic....after midnight there is a $3.95 "service charge." A "special" dining place? Definitely would cost you something. In addition to the 2 main dining rooms, and the Lido buffet, there was one other "complimentary" dining spot on the Epic...but once again, any drink other than water would cost you, and so would an ice cream for dessert!

You are definitely helping me feel better about the prospect of a nice long cruise on Carnival, again!

i kinda figured that's where you were coming from... 24 hr pizza still free on carnival, and so is room service at any hour (do tip for service as always though)... all of the special dining places are free at least for lunch - a few of them with a small charge for dinner... and iced tea and lemonade are always available (and best when mixed!), along with the normal juices, milk etc at breakfast... and so is the ice cream :)

also, assuming you'd be taking miracle to hawaii, it has not been confirmed yet, but it is likely miracle will get the same drydock treatment that pride just did, which includes:

· To be implemented during 10/19/14-11/09/14 Dry-Dock

Routine hotel maintenance

· Cosmetic enhancements such as new carpeting and tiling, etc. in lounges and public areas

· Revamping midship pool to be resort-style pool

· Fitness Center – new equipment and flooring

· Guy’s Burger Joint

· BlueIguana Cantina

· BlueIguana Tequila Bar

· Bonsai Sushi

· WaterWorks

· EA SPORTS Bar

· Alchemy Bar

· RedFrog Pub

· Cherry on Top

included among those were also the big screen tv for movies at the pool, and the green thunder drop slide.

i'd give it a go :D

We were on the NCL Epic and like you, we were very very disappointed for all the same reasons. We got off the Epic and right onto CCL.....what a difference.

Staff: CCL has far more staff visible at all times. They are far friendlier and go out of their way to "please"....not so on Epic.

Dining: We encountered not only slow service on Epic, but rude service and awful food. Even when being "nickled and dimed" to death in their "for fee" restaurants the food was way below the level of the MDR free food on CCL. As for pizza, NCL's was horrible, we much prefer CCL's. However, one change that you should know about is that the pizza place no longer serves Caesar salads (boo hoo - we loved that too) with the chicken grilled on it.

Ship: The Epic was claustrophobic to us, narrow tight halls, mini sized cabins compared to CCL. We upgraded to what NCL called a "mini suite" to just get a balcony cabin the same size as a standard balcony on CCL. It seemed on Epic that they squeezed as many cabins into that ship to have over 4000 pax..very few windows, and an awful almost "non lobby" lobby.

Entertainment: Although Epic had Blue Man Group, Cirque Dinner Theatre (for a fee), 2nd City....we found that once you saw those shows there was

very little else to do. Epic had a comedy room that was far too small for a ship that size.....we were actually bored many evenings....but rarely are we bored on a CCL ship.

Room Service: Still free 24/7 on CCL....Epic "nickled and dimed" their pax...so we never used their room service ever.

Overall, if you were happy as a passenger in the past on CCL, you will still much prefer it to the NCL Epic experience for sure. Even with some changes to the menu, entertainment etc...CCL is a far more passenger friendly cruise lines with more to do for FREE (included in your fare).

Edited by buddylover

I'm afraid the nickle and diming is a thing that is not going to go away. I saw it coming years ago when they started the steak houses and now they've extended it to quite a lot of other things. But not to the extent that you don't have choices, there is plenty to eat and good food at that. Cruising is what you make it and I have never let other people ruin my cruise.

This time last year, my DH and I were aboard the Epic. While we had a good cruise (largely because we met great people), I missed the Carnival "vibe". Didnt get the warm and fuzzy's from the staff - even from those we saw daily. MDR food was meh, same for the service.

We did enjoy the specialty restaurants and the live music around the ship.

Complete review in my sig.

I am considering the Dawn to Bermuda - unless CCL decides to go back (fingers crossed!)

Sent from my phone. Typos are inevitable.

We got off the Getaway 2 weeks ago an can not wait to go back to Carnival in 8 days. NCL has some great things and I agree it is hard to have a bad cruise but we were so dissapointed. The food was just not great, and I agree the pay restaurants weren't as good as Carnival's MDR. We enjoyed the shows but then there is nothing to do in the evenings unless you want to gamble or hang out outside in their outside crowded dance place. You need reservations to go to the comedy show once in 7 days and so we ended up in our cabins most evenings or wondering around the ship looking for something to do. The piano bar wasn't even open until the 4th night out.

You can not go wrong taking new cruisers on Carnival. They will not notice any cut backs and will be thrilled with the food, the large cabins, and the friendly staff, all things you found lacking on NCL.

Well....I'm almost -- but not exactly -- worried.

Hubby and I have been on a few cruises. Mostly with Carnival. Our first cruise, back in the early 80's, was on the Carnivale, and we are Platinum with Carnival. We have also cruised NCL and RCL, but have always found Carnival to be the best fit for our definition of "value for the money."

We just got off a trans-Atlantic cruise on NCL's Epic. And even though I think it almost impossible to have a really BAD cruise (short of the ship running aground or sinking), we both felt it was one of our least favorite cruises, as far as the ship was concerned (the itinerary was great, though). We felt as though we were nickeled-and-dimed at every turn. The service in both dining rooms was the worst we've ever experienced. It seemed as though all concerns (about other passengers not adhering to NCL's policies) taken to staff was ignored and answered with "Well, we are 'freestyle' and it is their vacation" (like it wasn't our vacation, too)...At the adults-only deck, they had a bar and small food buffet, but anything other than water (i.e., even iced tea or coffee) COST you and there was no self-service area. The rooms were tiny and poorly designed and the lighting was terrible!

We are thinking of putting together a cruise (for us and friends) on Carnival's cruise from Long Beach to the Hawaiian islands.

I read John Heald's blogs, and his Facebook posts, and I get the impression that there have been some changes made by Carnival that may make this proposed cruise feel pretty much the same. Have they really done away with the past-guest's party in the theatre or one of the lounges? And just the other day I read a post by John where he seemed to think that passengers should confront other passengers about problems rather than talk to Security or ship's staff first!

Are these kind of things happening industry wide?

*sigh*

I don't know. I imagine we will still do the cruise, but one couple that are friends of ours, this will be their FIRST cruise and we'd love for it to be the wonderful experience we found our first cruise to be. Is the service still as good in the Main Dining Rooms on Carnival ships? Do they enforce their policies? Heck, do they even still have "elegant night"?

We were disappointed in NCL. Not big fans of RCL, either. Should we be looking at Princess?

Try Holland America. Their passengers and cruises tend to be more subdued. Their cabins are nice and decent size.

Personally, I would have no problem cruising and not spending a dime on board. But DH would be another story! Our main $ goes to alcohol. We usually buy a piece of that big yummy cake and split it once during the cruise. It's like $3. That's about it. Everything else is included. Did the steak house our first cruise so have no desire to do it again.

As for JH comments, it was about loud people in the hall while a cruiser was trying to sleep. JH said he thinks the cruiser should have just stuck their head out the door and asked them to be quiet. Not unreasonable. The discussion was that some people thought security should be called. It truly wasn't a big deal, I think it depends on if someone is comfortable confronting someone else, if that person has been drinking and how they may react.

We are relatively new to cruising, never had an issue.

I have to say that Epic is my least favorite ship but I love everything it offers. That's a little hard to understand but I dislike the Epic's layout, cabins, traffic patterns on Deck 6, pool deck and the look of the ship itself. However, Epic offers more innovative dining and entertainment options than any other ship I had been on. I love NCL but I doubt I'll sail Epic again, unless the deal is too good to pass up.

I have sailed NCL for years and am quite aware of their upcharge restaurants so I just add $150/pp to the cruise budget and have a great time.

Take care,

Mike

Edited by MMastell

I understand what you're saying here, however, you never know how someone is going to react. Not everyone is as polite as you and a confrontation is never enjoyable.

Also, some people just like to avoid confrontation, and get one of the workers to handle it because then it comes from more of an "authority" figure.

I know my wife-to-be doesn't like confrontation at all, while I am much more abrasive towards others.

Just food for thought :)

Actually, I spoke about confronting other guests, not just talking to them.

The issue, specifically, was the "saving" of deck chairs. 2000 deck chairs and 4000 passengers. And a supposed policy that says "saving" deck chairs is not allowed, and if one is away from a deck chair for 1 hour then staff will remove any items from the chair, which can be reclaimed at Guest Services. But, people would get up at 6:00 a.m., put out towels, etc., to "save" the chair and then maybe -- MAYBE -- show up by 10:00 a.m. to claim their chair. The staff were not enforcing NCL's stated policy, and so you would have people coming to the deck, looking for a chair, seeing dozens and dozens of chairs with no one in them, for HOURS, but apparently unavailable. You cannot confront OR talk to someone who isn't there. And there is no way I would take on the responsibility of removing someone else's items....would you? So, people would go to ship staff and were told "It is freestyle cruising and it is their vacation!" And I mean, lots of people. Going to Guest Services resulted in promises of someone contacting you about your concerns, but never an actual contact or phone call. Want to know when they finally started enforcing their deck chair policy? On the last full sea day! *LOL* We figured it out by the 3rd day. We, too, would go up and stake our deck chair claim. But unlike others, we would make sure we were never gone for more than 45 minutes at a time! ;)

Sadly I have found others saving chairs on every cruise line and unfortunately there has not been IMHO much success in getting passengers to be thoughtful of others and as a group stop the practice. I have asked staff to find me a chair and someone was always willing to assist me.

I agree with OCruisers you sound like Carnival is a great fit for you. It is great you are platinum and can enjoy many extras your loyalty brings you.

I sail on which ever line is giving the beat price and meets my itinerary wishes. I found both good and poor customer service on each line. Though my last NCL cruise on the Pearl was superb.

Sadly I have found others saving chairs on every cruise line and unfortunately there has not been IMHO much success in getting passengers to be thoughtful of others and as a group stop the practice. I have asked staff to find me a chair and someone was always willing to assist me.

I don't want to turn OP's thread into a chair hog post, but I agree, they are THE WORST. If you're in the washroom, or the pool, that is one thing, but if you've got just a book or a flip flop down on a chair while you're in the Casino then that is just rude and inconsiderate.

We also have been disappointed with NCL but think that Carnival remains our go to cruising choice!

I'd like to remind folks that if for some reason you cannot get a crew member to help you with an issue that has to do with service like: chair hogs,wait staff,etc.the hotel manager on board, who you can reach through customer service, will be more than happy to help you enjoy your cruise!! It is never good to suffer in silence! We have found that very polite explanations to customer service has brought us help on several occasions!

You're looking at it with different lenses than they will. You're experienced. You've done this before. And as a result you have higher standards than newbies. They haven't, and so everything for them will be fresh and new and awesome. I'm sure they'll enjoy it.

Yes, somewhat, and yes.

With all due respect, I do not think you should confront individuals who are behaving in a way that interferes with your enjoyment of your vacation. I think in today's world and the agreessive nature of many individuals, but not all, it is a recipie for things to get out of hand in a hurry. Why not ask the ship's staff to step in. Keep in mind that it is the job of Carnival staff to ensure the experience had by all is a positive one. You may disagree but I think this is the most logical way to deal with issues like these that may or may not come up.

This time last year, my DH and I were aboard the Epic. While we had a good cruise (largely because we met great people), I missed the Carnival "vibe". Didnt get the warm and fuzzy's from the staff - even from those we saw daily. MDR food was meh, same for the service.

We did enjoy the specialty restaurants and the live music around the ship.

Complete review in my sig.

I am considering the Dawn to Bermuda - unless CCL decides to go back (fingers crossed!)

Sharon, in Oct 2015, the Sunshine and the Pride both have cruises to Bermuda. We are going on the Sunshine. Check it out��

Edited by mississauga

Sharon, in Oct 2015, the Sunshine and the Ptide both have cruises to Bermuda. We are going on the Sunshine. Check it out

Hi Mary! Yes, I saw those (will have a second look). Would like to bring the kids too - so October doesn't work - summer would be better! Send my best to Serge :)

We were on the NCL Epic and like you, we were very very disappointed for all the same reasons. We got off the Epic and right onto CCL.....what a difference.

Staff: CCL has far more staff visible at all times. They are far friendlier and go out of their way to "please"....not so on Epic.

Dining: We encountered not only slow service on Epic, but rude service and awful food. Even when being "nickled and dimed" to death in their "for fee" restaurants the food was way below the level of the MDR free food on CCL. As for pizza, NCL's was horrible, we much prefer CCL's. However, one change that you should know about is that the pizza place no longer serves Caesar salads (boo hoo - we loved that too) with the chicken grilled on it.

Ship: The Epic was claustrophobic to us, narrow tight halls, mini sized cabins compared to CCL. We upgraded to what NCL called a "mini suite" to just get a balcony cabin the same size as a standard balcony on CCL. It seemed on Epic that they squeezed as many cabins into that ship to have over 4000 pax..very few windows, and an awful almost "non lobby" lobby.

Entertainment: Although Epic had Blue Man Group, Cirque Dinner Theatre (for a fee), 2nd City....we found that once you saw those shows there was

very little else to do. Epic had a comedy room that was far too small for a ship that size.....we were actually bored many evenings....but rarely are we bored on a CCL ship.

Room Service: Still free 24/7 on CCL....Epic "nickled and dimed" their pax...so we never used their room service ever.

Overall, if you were happy as a passenger in the past on CCL, you will still much prefer it to the NCL Epic experience for sure. Even with some changes to the menu, entertainment etc...CCL is a far more passenger friendly cruise lines with more to do for FREE (included in your fare).

AMEN to all of that. I sailed solo on the Epic and was bored stiff in the evenings. Small selection of lounges. Lobby? What lobby? Also no deck to walk around the ship.