No shaking hands - fear of noro virus

Most Captains and Staff that we've encountered wanted to bump knuckles versus shake hands, but I've seen more hand shaking on our last couple of cruises. Some just stand with their hands behind them so it's clear they don't want contact. I can't blame them for no contact with all the events where there is a reception line.

I love it. The last thing I want to do is shake anyone's hand. At a recent party for suite guests none of the officers shook hands with the passengers, and I was relieved. I don't remember what cruise line it was in the past, but I remember there was no shaking of hands by the Captain on formal night. Possibly HAL?

Edited by sauvichick

Norovirus is very common, and most people are exposed at least once a week just by touching doorknobs or shaking hands. As long as you are exposed at least every 6-8 weeks or so, you should have a good immunity and will not have any illness.

The people that get sick are the ones that don't shake hands, don't touch doorknobs, constantly lather themselves with disinfectants, etc. and thus have weakened their immune system.

If you have weakened your immune system through these behaviors, and there is an outbreak aboard, it's highly likely you will get sick.

If you go out and experience the environment and strengthen your immune system, then shaking hands is going to ensure that you maintain your immunity. Just make sure that you don't wait until you are aboard to try to strengthen your system...that's a recipe for a ruined cruise. Make sure you have a prepared immune system well before you get on the ship.

Norovirus is very common, and most people are exposed at least once a week just by touching doorknobs or shaking hands. As long as you are exposed at least every 6-8 weeks or so, you should have a good immunity and will not have any illness.

The people that get sick are the ones that don't shake hands, don't touch doorknobs, constantly lather themselves with disinfectants, etc. and thus have weakened their immune system.

If you have weakened your immune system through these behaviors, and there is an outbreak aboard, it's highly likely you will get sick.

If you go out and experience the environment and strengthen your immune system, then shaking hands is going to ensure that you maintain your immunity. Just make sure that you don't wait until you are aboard to try to strengthen your system...that's a recipe for a ruined cruise. Make sure you have a prepared immune system well before you get on the ship.

Well-stated! People have been touching each other's hands since the beginning of time. We are designed to come into contact with germs all day long. I have a particular concern with the long term effects that so much germ-avoidance may be having on the immune system, particularly as it relates to food allergies (which my family deals with in spades).

I noticed on our last cruise, the staff was fist bumping too. Almost all of them. Weird on the last night saying good bye to all the staff lined up outside the theater, giving them all fist bumps LOL

This is been common for a while, but I remember a few years back and we were in a suite on another line for 1st time and I was told by another passenger we must to fist bump at party with the officers, the Captain came to us and introduced himself and held out his hand for a handshake.

Thank you - someone is finally making sense. Proper hygiene is always necessary, but some people go overboard.

Edited by mek

I dance modern jive and spend evenings dancing with multiple partners. I wonder how I survive.... Oh yes, I wash my hands regularly.

Fist bumping - How rude!

I agree about remembering to wash your hands before eating and particularly after using restrooms. You do NOT build up immunity to Norovirus nor EColi.

In UK we don't "fist bump"!

I agree about remembering to wash your hands before eating and particularly after using restrooms. You do NOT build up immunity to Norovirus nor EColi.

You are SO right! Anyone can get EColi or Norovirus. Personally, I don't understand why people want to shake hands. You don't know what that person has touched or if he/she washed their hands recently. I refuse to shake hands at church, on a cruise, or anywhere because I have a transplant and my immune system is supressed. People with cancer or other medical problems can and do pick up illnesses easier than those who are very healthy. As another poster pointed out, other cruise lines have stopped shaking hands with the crew and HAL is one of them. I only get to cruise once every year and I certainly don't want to be ill and confined to my cabin while on one so I don't shake hands and I wash my hands often.

You are SO right! Anyone can get EColi or Norovirus. Personally, I don't understand why people want to shake hands. You don't know what that person has touched or if he/she washed their hands recently. I refuse to shake hands at church, on a cruise, or anywhere because I have a transplant and my immune system is supressed. People with cancer or other medical problems can and do pick up illnesses easier than those who are very healthy. As another poster pointed out, other cruise lines have stopped shaking hands with the crew and HAL is one of them. I only get to cruise once every year and I certainly don't want to be ill and confined to my cabin while on one so I don't shake hands and I wash my hands often.

I have a bit of an issue with that one too. Everywhere else it is more or less my choice if I want to shake hands with someone but in church they make you feel obligated. I don't go there to be social. Just leave me alone and in peace. And my position on this has nothing to do with germs or a weakened immune system.;)

After going through the receiving line, and shaking all the Senior Officers hands, If you are still worried about that Nasty Noro V.... Go to the nearest restroom and give those hands a good wash.

I myself am more worried about who has handled the drink glasses on the trays the waiters carry about.

YOU CAN HAVE IMMUNITY TO NORO V. Can last from 6 months to a couple or more years. Check it out at the Centers For Disease Control.

I pay so much for my vacation, the last thing I want to do is get sick.

So don't put your hands in your mouth after shaking someone's hand. Seems pretty simple to me.

Sounds good to me!

After going through the receiving line, and shaking all the Senior Officers hands, If you are still worried about that Nasty Noro V.... Go to the nearest restroom and give those hands a good wash.

I myself am more worried about who has handled the drink glasses on the trays the waiters carry about.

YOU CAN HAVE IMMUNITY TO NORO V. Can last from 6 months to a couple or more years. Check it out at the Centers For Disease Control.

You gain immunity from having had the Noro V or being genetically immune. Also there are different strains of Noro V, having had one does not mean you won't catch another.

Unfortunately the virus can stay "live" on hard surfaces. You are probably just as likely to pick it up from a chair etc as from someones unwashed hand.