Complimentary nights query

uktog

Bonnie I wonder if you or others can answer a query.

I was chatting with some friends who are becoming loyal to Azamara about the complimentary nights programme when attaining loyalty levels. They asked a very valid question and I don't know the answer.

Later this month they have a Celebrity cruise booked and next year they plan to be on Azamara. They will change loyalty level after the Celebrity cruise. Will they be able to claim their complimentary nights for their 2018 cruise even if they "cross the line" with Celebrity (assuming they also meet the more restrictive 50% rule)?

I looked at the terms and could see nothing. I know Celebrity are proactive in contacting you if you change loyalty level on their ships, but is the information also passed to Azamara?

We began debating do we have to start to be tactical in our bookings so that we are always "crossing the line" on an Azamara sailing. It may be less of an issue at the lower levels but at Elite Plus and Platinum it's quite a bit. Platinum would be confused by the fact Celebrity would immediately send you a free 7 night cruise voucher.

We'd be interested in the official line and also the experience of others who crossed the line on Celebrity

Edited by uktog

Though I'll never meet the 50% Rule, I can tell you that Azamara picked upon on a recent change to my loyalty tier level [it's printed on Azamara's e-mail promotions] within weeks following completion of the Celebrity cruise [December 2016] that brought me to the new tier level...

Though I'll never meet the 50% Rule, I can tell you that Azamara picked upon on a recent change to my loyalty tier level [it's printed on Azamara's e-mail promotions] within weeks following completion of the Celebrity cruise [December 2016] that brought me to the new tier level...

Our question though is not did mail outs mention your new level (that's automatically generated from the system) but what is the position re eligibility for complimentary nights

Our question though is not did mail outs mention your new level (that's automatically generated from the system) but what is the position re eligibility for complimentary nights

I do not believe that I misread or misunderstood your question... Rather, I think my comment [which was merely meant to say that Azamara quickly recognized my recent change in status; all loyalty communications, other than those prompted by a member specific question, are computer generated]--when considered in combination with the Terms & Conditions of Le Club Voyage as published--answer your question...

-----

Earned Complimentary Nights: Complimentary nights have no cash value, are not redeemable for cash, are not transferable, and must be booked within one year after date earned on a new reservation. Complimentary nights can only be redeemed on sailings 7-nights or longer. Guests are responsible for paying pro-rated amount of prevailing cruise fare rate at the time of booking (calculated as the per night price of the cruise times the numbers of nights not covered by the certificate), as well as full taxes, fees & port expenses for total duration of the cruise. Complimentary Nights can only be combined with the Le Club Voyage Onboard Booking Program, the Azamara Early Booking Benefit, Back to Back Offer, and the Le Club Voyage Refer & Receive Future Cruise Credit. Complimentary nights cannot be combined with any other program, promotion, Restricted Rates, Contracted Groups or Incentive Groups. Complimentary nights earned when reaching different levels cannot be redeemed together. A balance of any unused complimentary nights can be redeemed only by Discoverer Platinum members who book 7-9-night voyages within one year of when the complimentary night(s) was awarded. Stateroom category will be based on category guest most frequently purchased on Azamara. The following blackout dates apply: Azamara Journey departing 7/19/17, 5/21/18, and 7/11/18 and Azamara Quest departing 5/5/17 and 12/22/18. Complimentary nights are earned against original stateroom category booked on cruises departing on or after January 1, 2015. To earn complimentary nights, members must have 50% of their past voyages on Azamara, must have sailed with Azamara within the past 3 years, and must have moved up in tier on or after January 1, 2015. Terms may vary by country.

-----

If complimentary nights must be redeemed on a new booking created within one year after the date on which the new loyalty tier is attained and the only other related conditions--assuming one meets the "50% Rule"--are that [a] one must have sailed with Azamara within the past three years and moved up in tier on or after January 1, 2015, Le Club Voyage's Terms & Conditions certainly anticipate the eventuality that a member who has qualified for "Free Nights" will have moved up in loyalty tier following completion of a Celebrity cruise...

Ok maybe I'm being thick but where does it say if a member becomes Elite plus on a Celebrity cruise they automatically get the discoverer plus benefit of free nights or if they become zenith following a celebrity cruise they automatically get the platinum benefit of free nights. (All assuming the 50% rule is met)

This was the debate that happened with friends. Do they have to wait until after their next Azamara cruise to ask for any benefits or do the change in tier benefits kick in automatically in relation to the free nights.

And if so, do they have to contact Azamara to ask for them or.......

If one needs to redeem the "Free Nights" benefit via a new booking within one year of a loyalty tier status change but the only other meaningful condition [no retroactivity for tier status changes which occurred prior to January 1, 2015 is likely moot for frequent cruisers at this point in time but does address a question that could arise from infrequent cruisers with an Azamara sailing history dating back several years] states that one must have sailed with Azamara within three years of the benefit claim, it seems clear--at least to me--that Le Club Voyage anticipates that the status change might well occur following completion of a Celebrity cruise; there is no other alternative in terms of reciprocal loyalty recognition within the Royal Caribbean family of brands... If one needed to earn the tier status change while aboard an Azamara sailing, the "three year" provision would be unnecessary given the "one year" claim period...

I do not know if one needs to contact Azamara to claim the "Free Night" benefit but I can tell you first hand that--while the practice may have differed in the past--Celebrity does not automatically issue a "Free Cruise" voucher when a member attains Zenith status... One must instead contact Celebrity's Captains Club [a small cadre of Reps serve as liaison to Zenith members] to claim the "Free Cruise" benefit...

That is the point of Ann's question to Bonnie and what I'd like to know too.
I read the question being whether you have to cross the line on Azamara and it appears the rather obvious answer from the T's and C's is NO. You would certainly have to contact Azamara to book a cruise to use the free nights.

Here's her question:

"Will they be able to claim their complimentary nights for their 2018 cruise even if they "cross the line" with Celebrity (assuming they also meet the more restrictive 50% rule)?"

I read the question being whether you have to cross the line on Azamara and it appears the rather obvious answer from the T's and C's is NO. You would certainly have to contact Azamara to book a cruise to use the free nights.

Here's her question:

"Will they be able to claim their complimentary nights for their 2018 cruise even if they "cross the line" with Celebrity (assuming they also meet the more restrictive 50% rule)?"

That hasn't been the case for me which is why I'd be interested in Bonnie's reply as to how it is monitored.

That hasn't been the case for me which is why I'd be interested in Bonnie's reply as to how it is monitored.

Yes that's our experience as well which is why the debate with our friends got into difficulties as we tried to work out the reasons why.

As the threads at risk of not being clear on the issue I will simplify the questions to -

1. To achieve any free nights does the guest have to change loyalty levels (or sub levels as well in Azamara's case 1500, 2250 etc) as a result of an Azamara cruise or would a change following a Celebrity cruise count (ignoring the 50% rule that's another huge bone of contention for another day!)

2. does the guest have to be proactive and monitor their loyalty level for free nights and contact Azamara - and if they are overseas is that home office or Miami? (Bear in mind Celebrity are proactive and contact you)

Like Phil the official line and description of what should happen when would help many I'm sure.

I apologise Xport I used the word voucher when I should have said letter. At least because Azamara don't contact you one avoids those ghastly pins. They would be so out of place on Azamara!

Nicole has responded. Hopefully this clears up the confusion?

"It doesn't matter on which brand Guests cross the "line" with as long as they have more Azamara sailings than Celebrity, they earn their Complimentary Nights with us. Additionally, we do email Guests who move up in tier and earn Complimentary Nights if they are opted into Azamara marketing emails.

Nicole Lukacs | Le Club Voyage Ambassador"

Thanks for that clearing that up Bonnie.

Phil, you said "this hasn't been the case" for you. What was your experience that differed from the stated policy/practice? Maybe a glitch in the system needs a fix.

From what Bonnie has said it would appear that it is indeed a glitch. I passed a points threshold on a Celebrity cruise last year that would have given me three free nights on Azamara (the 50% + earned on them applies). I hadn't really given it much thought until Ann posted the question here because I assumed I wouldn't get them because I took a Celebrity cruise to cross the line. Now I know I'll drop Nicole an email.

Thank you Bonnie that helps a lot.

There is certainly a glitch. We have passed two thresholds in the past 18 months and had no communication. Each time we passed the threshold on a Celebrity cruise.

I will contact Nicole when I get home.

Edited by uktog

Thank you Bonnie that helps a lot.

There is certainly a glitch. We have passed two thresholds in the past 18 months and had no communication. Each time we passed the threshold on a Celebrity cruise.

I will contact Nicole when I get home.

The glitch, I think, extends beyond the example of passing the threshold on Celebrity.

We did so on Quest, and did not receive an email of notification even though we are now on the list to receive marketing emails from Azamara.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

At any stage you are able to review your Azamara/Celebrity cruise history and points

Go to My Celebrity Sign In - Enter Username and Password

On the line above - Most Recent Reservations select Captains Club

Then select Sailing History - on the right

Cheers - Peter

At any stage you are able to review your Azamara/Celebrity cruise history and points

Go to My Celebrity Sign In - Enter Username and Password

On the line above - Most Recent Reservations select Captains Club

Then select Sailing History - on the right

Cheers - Peter

Thanks Peter.

It's not the points issue which we have a track of it's when are we eligible for extra nights- the two are not quite the same which is where the letter or email is needed.

Glad we know now it's been a system glitch but fear Nicole is going to have more emails to deal with in the run up to a busy time for her, the LCV cruise.

We also did not receive notification following our "graduation" last Sept. So I called LCV to see if we could apply our complimentary nights to our Feb. '18 cruise. Azamara said they required notification from our travel agent. So, I contacted our agent, who called and was asked to email the query, as "just one individual is working on the complimentary nights."

Just heard back - in order to take advantage of the free nights, we would actually pay an additional $600. ;)

We also did not receive notification following our "graduation" last Sept. So I called LCV to see if we could apply our complimentary nights to our Feb. '18 cruise. Azamara said they required notification from our travel agent. So, I contacted our agent, who called and was asked to email the query, as "just one individual is working on the complimentary nights."

Just heard back - in order to take advantage of the free nights, we would actually pay an additional $600. ;)

Why would you pay anything additional? Did they explain this to you?

Funny all my free nights have been booked on board. An email was sent to Nicole and I got my free nights. So far on two cruises. I have six more nights for 2019 to use.. maybe more when this year is over.