First solo cruise

The main Cruise Critic website has several articles and guides to solo cruising.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/search/results.cfm?q=solo

I know this because I myself have been tempted to go on a solo cruise recently and so have been studying the subject, but after some consideration I've decided to...not go solo, and to try and convince a good friend of mine to join me. I've traveled solo before, but never on a cruise, and I don't think I want to start.

I don't want to discourage you but here were my reasons:

- You could be treated like some kind of alien; everybody else is a couple, a family, or with a friend. Many solo cruisers report a heightened interest in their personal affairs from both staff and shipmates. "Why are you cruising alone," seems to be the unspoken question, "what are you, some kinda freak?!?" Maybe it helps to have some kind of cover story.

- You will not find it hard to meet people of your age and interests, but you will find it difficult to meet other singles. Some lines do their best to link solo travelers up but the forced nature of these interactions make them pretty awkward.

- The usual awkwardness of solo travel: you're at the beach and want to go for a swim, or you need to use the washroom at the airport: who watches your stuff? Sometimes you can rely on the kindness of strangers, sometimes not. On shore, you have nobody to watch your back and help protect against pickpockets, and two heads are always better than one if you need to figure out a tricky time/space problem (like can we do x, y and z and get back to the ship in time?). If you like to have a few drinks, it's especially useful to have somebody around in case of trouble.

- You see an awesome sight, like a sunset at sea. "Wow!", you say to the person next to you, "what a sight!" but there isn't somebody next to you. Or if there is, they'll smile wordlessly and slowly back away.

- If you're a young and single female, I imagine you'd get hit on a lot. If you're a young and single man, everybody will assume that you're on the prowl, which is a turn-off.

- If you are even the slightest bit of an introvert, you may find you're spending too much time alone in your cabin. So it's probably a good idea to get a balcony. As an introvert, it really helps if you have a friend or friends who can drag you out of your shell. When you're solo, only you alone can rouse yourself to go and join activities. Easier said than done for some people.

If you want a balcony and don't want to be charged double, Royal Caribbean has Superior Ocean View Studio with Balcony and are on Anthem and Ovation. NCL also has single cabins on their new ships (Epic, Getaway, Breakaway, Escape), called Studio Cabins, but they are all inside cabins (extra special nice ones with a boutique feel!) and come with a private lounge and Studio Concierge service which arranges group dinners at specialty restaurants that you can attend with other Studio guests if you want. P&O also has both inside and outside solo cabins on Azura, Britannia and Ventura. All Fred Olsen ships offer solo cabins including balcony cabins. All other mass market cruise lines will charge you a supplement (usually 25% - 75% more) for a regular balcony cabin if you are cruising alone.

If you are interested in a River Cruise, these lines usually have solo cabins with no supplement, so you might consider that type of cruise as well.

As far as the poster above's issues with solo cruising, one of my best friends went on a solo cruise (male late 50's) and found himself being fought over by numerous women. He actually had a great time and never lacked for companionship on the 2 week cruise. One lady, who was from Monaco kept inviting him to visit her after the cruise (along with sending him photos of herself in a bikini) and then tried to get him to let her visit him here. LOL! In terms of the cruise, don't hesitate to talk to other people. Most cruisers are friendly and easy going people and won't think it strange if you strike up a conversation at all. Even traveling with my husband, it is not unusual for me to approach others onboard and talk to them and I never get rejected. Many times, I've made longterm friends this way.

Edited by SuiteTraveler

Thank you for the link- I appreciate it.

I've got the other solo traveler stuff down. No problems eating, going to the beach etc on my own. I'm secure enough to not give a crud if someone thinks I am odd. Mostly looking at this from a cost point of view.

Good!

The search articles above, plus member comments here, should guide you then.

NCL, among other lines, have experimented with solo berths, arranged around a private central lobby. Idea being, group up the soloists in one place so that there's a greater chance of social interaction. These cabins also avoid the dreaded single supliment.

That should be your primary goal: reducing or removing the single supliment. Some lines charge you full price, some charge 20-50% more. Some will link you up a roomate - another soloist of the same sex. But not everybody is willing to bunk up with a total stranger for a week.

It may be worth finding or using a good travel agent to help you find the best solo deal. Being flexible when it comes to itineraries also helps.

Edited by Dunnik

I need some real people guidance on the best cruise line for a solo traveller. I prefer balcony room, but can be flexible if there is a huge price difference. I am looking for a line that won't charge me double just because I am traveling solo. Thanks in advance!

In my opinion, the best value for a solo passenger is Crystal -- their supplements are significantly smaller for traveling solo (30% for a window cabin, 35% for a balcony cabin) on virtually every voyage - not just a few on sale. It will look like the price is much higher than traveling a mainstream line, but remember that it's also virtually all inclusive. For an extra $10 or $15 dollars a day (over paying double somewhere else), you would get award-winning service, incredible food, fewer crowds, and (usually) a smaller ship. The down side is that there are only 2 ocean cruise ships, so they may not be going where you want, when you want.

I need some real people guidance on the best cruise line for a solo traveller. I prefer balcony room, but can be flexible if there is a huge price difference. I am looking for a line that won't charge me double just because I am traveling solo. Thanks in advance!

I have so much to say on the subject, so this might run a little long. I'll try to truncate things.

First of all, there's a solo cruiser's sub-board at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373 . There's lots of discussions about issues that apply for solo travelers, including avoiding that dreaded single tax.

Second, on that tax, I wouldn't obsess about paying 100% or 50% or even 0%. If there's a cruise going to where you want to go on a line that's acceptable at a price that you want to pay, then go ahead and go!

Third and so on...

The main Cruise Critic website has several articles and guides to solo cruising.

I know this because I myself have been tempted to go on a solo cruise recently and so have been studying the subject, but after some consideration I've decided to...not go solo, and to try and convince a good friend of mine to join me. I've traveled solo before, but never on a cruise, and I don't think I want to start.

- You could be treated like some kind of alien; everybody else is a couple, a family, or with a friend. Many solo cruisers report a heightened interest in their personal affairs from both staff and shipmates. "Why are you cruising alone," seems to be the unspoken question, "what are you, some kinda freak?!?" Maybe it helps to have some kind of cover story.

- You will not find it hard to meet people of your age and interests, but you will find it difficult to meet other singles. Some lines do their best to link solo travelers up but the forced nature of these interactions make them pretty awkward.

- The usual awkwardness of solo travel: you're at the beach and want to go for a swim, or you need to use the washroom at the airport: who watches your stuff? Sometimes you can rely on the kindness of strangers, sometimes not. On shore, you have nobody to watch your back and help protect against pickpockets, and two heads are always better than one if you need to figure out a tricky time/space problem (like can we do x, y and z and get back to the ship in time?). If you like to have a few drinks, it's especially useful to have somebody around in case of trouble.

- You see an awesome sight, like a sunset at sea. "Wow!", you say to the person next to you, "what a sight!" but there isn't somebody next to you. Or if there is, they'll smile wordlessly and slowly back away.

- If you're a young and single female, I imagine you'd get hit on a lot. If you're a young and single man, everybody will assume that you're on the prowl, which is a turn-off.

- If you are even the slightest bit of an introvert, you may find you're spending too much time alone in your cabin. So it's probably a good idea to get a balcony. As an introvert, it really helps if you have a friend or friends who can drag you out of your shell. When you're solo, only you alone can rouse yourself to go and join activities. Easier said than done for some people.

I can understand the choices you made, but I've been on 7 cruises so far, with two more scheduled, all solo. I disagree with most of what you said. Taking it point by point:

- I've never been treated like an alien anywhere in the world simply for being single. When I want to talk about personal stuff, I do, and when I don't I don't. That's never been a problem for me anywhere, especially on a cruise.

- It might be hard to find other singles on a ship (we don't usually wear tags saying "YES I'M SINGLE!"), but this is mostly irrelevant to me. If a couple wants me to hang around with them, and it's something I'm interested in, that's wonderful. If not, I'm perfectly happy on my own.

- I don't carry a lot of stuff with me when I'm traveling, and especially when I'm out exploring. That and the usual big city cautions have gotten me pretty far. I've lost a few items but never had anything stolen (knock on wood).

- Awesome sights are stored in my memory and sometimes in my camera. I can share it with the people that care at home when I get back. Yes, I know it's not the same, but that's true of a lot of things in relationships.

- As a not-so-young single male, I have no experience with young single females getting hit on. I suspect that it's true. I suspect also that most of them are either used to it and can easily deflect the advances that don't interest them, or they revel in the attention they receive.

- As an introvert, I like to spend lots of time in the cabin. There's no such thing as too much time there. Still, when I want to go out and mingle, I do it. I'm old enough and stubborn enough by now to know when I want and need to meet others.

As a solo cruiser, I accept the single suppliment which generally runs 150-175% of the base fare. As a solo traveler I do so, so I don't have to share the bathroom. I don’t have to be concerned with my activities bothering my cabin mate. But the list goes on and on as to why I choose to cruise by myself. I totally enjoy eating by myself; meals, especially dinner, is "me-time"!

I have so much to say on the subject, so this might run a little long. I'll try to truncate things.

First of all, there's a solo cruiser's sub-board at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373 . There's lots of discussions about issues that apply for solo travelers, including avoiding that dreaded single tax.

Second, on that tax, I wouldn't obsess about paying 100% or 50% or even 0%. If there's a cruise going to where you want to go on a line that's acceptable at a price that you want to pay, then go ahead and go!

Third and so on...

I can understand the choices you made, but I've been on 7 cruises so far, with two more scheduled, all solo. I disagree with most of what you said. Taking it point by point:

- I've never been treated like an alien anywhere in the world simply for being single. When I want to talk about personal stuff, I do, and when I don't I don't. That's never been a problem for me anywhere, especially on a cruise.

- It might be hard to find other singles on a ship (we don't usually wear tags saying "YES I'M SINGLE!"), but this is mostly irrelevant to me. If a couple wants me to hang around with them, and it's something I'm interested in, that's wonderful. If not, I'm perfectly happy on my own.

- I don't carry a lot of stuff with me when I'm traveling, and especially when I'm out exploring. That and the usual big city cautions have gotten me pretty far. I've lost a few items but never had anything stolen (knock on wood).

- Awesome sights are stored in my memory and sometimes in my camera. I can share it with the people that care at home when I get back. Yes, I know it's not the same, but that's true of a lot of things in relationships.

- As a not-so-young single male, I have no experience with young single females getting hit on. I suspect that it's true. I suspect also that most of them are either used to it and can easily deflect the advances that don't interest them, or they revel in the attention they receive.

- As an introvert, I like to spend lots of time in the cabin. There's no such thing as too much time there. Still, when I want to go out and mingle, I do it. I'm old enough and stubborn enough by now to know when I want and need to meet others.

Bravo!!!!!!

As a solo cruiser, I accept the single suppliment which generally runs 150-175% of the base fare. As a solo traveler I do so, so I don't have to share the bathroom. I don’t have to be concerned with my activities bothering my cabin mate. But the list goes on and on as to why I choose to cruise by myself. I totally enjoy eating by myself; meals, especially dinner, is "me-time"!

Exactly!

I've traveled solo before, but never on a cruise, and I don't think I want to start.

I've traveled all over the world (and on a couple of cruises solo) and the only times I've been treated poorly have been by restaurant hosts who don't like and don't expect someone to be dining alone. Everyone else treats me like everyone else. Maybe because I'm comfortable being alone, I don't put out a vibe that says "look at me! I'm alone!"? Or maybe it's about heightened perception -- if you feel weird being alone, you think others will think you weird being alone.....but the truth is they don't. No one knows when you're sitting alone whether you're traveling alone, or whether your traveling companion is elsewhere.

I can't comment from experience here, because I have no idea whether I'm meeting other singles or not. It doesn't matter to me if the people I meet are singles, solos, couples, or families. Either I like them or I don't.

Your presumption is this is an issue, but not all solo travelers care about whether or not they meet other singles.

That's no more awkward than living day-to-day as a solo. I have no one to "watch my back" against pickpockets in the city where I live. I have no designated driver or wingman to watch me if I have a few drinks. I plan ahead when I go out so that I don't leave my things unattended and stay safe. Seriously -- it's not that hard, and certainly not awkward. Thousands of people do it daily. I wouldn't ever allow that to keep me from traveling.

Yup. But it's better than not seeing that awesome sight at all.....after all, I still have the memory (and possibly photographs). I don't prefer traveling solo, but it's better than not traveling, and far, far better than traveling with the wrong person. Then there is a person next to you, but his response is "feh, what are you so excited about?" - and that's worse than there being no one there to go "wow" with you.

Make better choices and adjust your behavior. Women who don't want to get hit on a lot (honestly don't, not just claiming to not want it) won't get hit on a lot. Single men who seriously aren't on the prowl won't be assumed to be on the prowl if they don't behave that way.

Being an introvert doesn't mean one wants to stay inside all the time, and introverts do not need to come out of their shell and join activities -- there's nothing wrong with wanting to spend time alone and not join in on activities. If that makes one happy and relaxed, that's fine (this is a vacation, after all). That's actually one of the benefits of traveling solo -- you can do whatever you want when you want, even if that is sitting in a quiet spot with a book, or listing to your iPod while you watch the waves go by.

I had to come back to comment on some of these -- I tried not to, but it was bothering me ;) See my answers in green, above

I traveled solo for many years without second thought. When a cousin asked me how I could do it, I said 'It's 100% better than not going at all". I have eaten the single supplement, and sometimes gotten breaks. Exciting Deals on Celebrity often have 150% suppl. I have also got great deals with a military rate on Celebrity. I've had some interesting experiences as a single female in foreign countries ( Italy, Tunisia, Switz....). After the trips I took with Earthwatch, just getting to the project sites, I look upon cruising as a breeze. I can't get lost in any country that uses the same alphabet. EM

Stop considering it a "single supplement"...and consider you are paying the price of the CABIN!

But paying for a "cabin" is not like paying for a hotel room - it's also food, drinks, entertainment facilities, leisure facilities, etc. A solo person doesn't eat twice as much food, take up two seats in the theatre, or use up twice as many towels that need to be laundered. If a cruise fare was for the cabin only, it would make sense like a hotel room, but it's not.

Edited by calliopecruiser

Thank you for the link- I appreciate it.

I've got the other solo traveler stuff down. No problems eating, going to the beach etc on my own. I'm secure enough to not give a crud if someone thinks I am odd. Mostly looking at this from a cost point of view.

Go solo - so much more fun! You will meet far more people without a "sidekick". People are friendly - I like traditional dining and look forward to sharing the day with others. Have had great tables except for one - in which case if you have doubts change tables after the first night. Balcony room is not essential - you will spend so little time in it anyway. Try interior or OV. RCI gives double points if you sail solo in a single room meant for two.

Try using the search feature on cruiseplum.com.

There is also a "solo deals" section.

Sounds like you have the right attitude about going solo-- now you just need the right price!! But don't let the % sway you-- just find a good price overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 4 months later...

While everyone is different in temperament and outlook, I've done about 25 solo cruises and enjoyed each one. In recent years, I've settled in with Holland America. Sometimes the single supplement is 30% and I'm willing to pay as much as 50%. With HAL, you may discover that the least expensive sailings tend to charge more than 50% as a supplement, so....sometimes the more expensive cruises will cost less for a single passenger.

I understand and sympathize with those whose mindsets prevent them from cruising solo. I have worked to overcome that. Last thought, I suspect that crusing solo at holiday time would be stressful.

I cruised solo for a number of years until I remarried (no, I did not meet her on a cruise). Traveling solo can be bleak, but I found doing it on ship to be much better than vacationing ashore. It is important to not obsess over the supplement - sure, I only ate for one and took up one seat in the theatre, but I did occupy a cabin which could have housed two doing the on-board spending which generates the profits essential to the line.

I was fortunate in regularly joining compatible tables at assigned dining - because I have always found eating alone to be the primary downside of traveling alone - for business or pleasure.

The principal thing I would address is the introvert idea. I am very much an introvert and I spend very little time in my cabin, besides sleep for a few hours late at night. I'm too busy during the day to spend time in my cabin. Too busy either reading out on one of the decks and watching the waves go by. I'm busy sitting in the Piazza listening to the entertainment provided. I'm just too busy, period. Just cause I choose to do these things, generally, by myself is not a negative thing.

In my opinion, the best value for a solo passenger is Crystal -- their supplements are significantly smaller for traveling solo (30% for a window cabin, 35% for a balcony cabin) on virtually every voyage - not just a few on sale. It will look like the price is much higher than traveling a mainstream line, but remember that it's also virtually all inclusive. For an extra $10 or $15 dollars a day (over paying double somewhere else), you would get award-winning service, incredible food, fewer crowds, and (usually) a smaller ship. The down side is that there are only 2 ocean cruise ships, so they may not be going where you want, when you want.

I second this. With all the inclusions, and the low single supplement, Crystal may well be the best value for a solo out there. And you get a luxury experience to boot.

I have just read all the comments regarding Solo Cruising.

My big concern or "beef" is the steep supplement that many cruise lines charge but one obviously has no argument to change that except by not going or finding the company that charges the least. This may not necessarily be the cruise that one wants to take. But I will have a look at Crystal although normally they look very expensive.

Also, I believe that solo men cruising have an easier time than solo women.

I have one specific question: Has any Solo Traveler been in Cat Q Single Cabin on HAL Prinsendam. It offers a better price than the double OV cabins.

Hope somebody can answer. Thanks

I have just read all the comments regarding Solo Cruising.

My big concern or "beef" is the steep supplement that many cruise lines charge but one obviously has no argument to change that except by not going or finding the company that charges the least. This may not necessarily be the cruise that one wants to take. But I will have a look at Crystal although normally they look very expensive.

Also, I believe that solo men cruising have an easier time than solo women.

I have one specific question: Has any Solo Traveler been in Cat Q Single Cabin on HAL Prinsendam. It offers a better price than the double OV cabins.

Hope somebody can answer. Thanks

I wasn't aware that men pay a lower single supplement than women.????

You may want to post your question about HAL on their board, as there are several very helpful posters over there that may not see this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's easier for men to travel solo than women, nothing to do with price.

Thanks for your answer

Why? I have cruised a lot and also met many men who have been cruising solo. The difference between me and them? No idea.