Cruise vs All-Inclusive Resort

dortrust

Would really like to know if there are cruisers out there that also like to go to resorts. We have a cruise in 3 weeks but were at a resort last month. We have not been on a cruise for 6 years. The only reason we booked a cruise is because of the UBP.

We love both and I am just curious if there are others. Most comments seem like a cruise is the ONLY way to go. But after all this is Cruise Critic.

Here is a review I wrote after my first NCL cruise, that includes some comparisons to all-inclusives:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=39409

Note though, the experience was in Haven, and that makes a world of difference in your experience.

Edited by Kingmaker_inc

I would have to say an all inclusive must be nice. I personally have never done one, I like being on the ships moving with the sea. I know I love cruising. If I were to spend the type of money we spend on a cruise and do an all inclusive and I didn't like it as much as a cruise I would wish I cruised.

Would really like to know if there are cruisers out there that also like to go to resorts. We have a cruise in 3 weeks but were at a resort last month. We have not been on a cruise for 6 years. The only reason we booked a cruise is because of the UBP.

We love both and I am just curious if there are others. Most comments seem like a cruise is the ONLY way to go. But after all this is Cruise Critic.

I have never been to an all inclusive resort, and don't fancy the idea at all. I don't like the idea of all inclusive (I'd rather pay for what I want), but also for land holidays I'd rather travel around a bit. My ideal holiday is to spend a week or two travelling and the do a cruise at the end.

I agree with Keith. land vacations are about covering ground for me. I love climbing and Kilimanjaro is near the top of my list if my health holds. machu Picchu either way. for me a cruise is all inclusive. we don't drink and we're not foodies so the ship provides everything a resort would, usually at a much better price. 34 days from now I'll be exactly where I love to be; back aboard a cruising all inclusive.

We did an all inclusive in Jamaica and had a very nice time. Once we took our first cruise we were hooked, the entertainment on cruises beats all inclusives hands down. We love the beach; but feel a cruise is what you make of it, you need to do more than one to get a routine down. Our first was hectic, we missed activities, spent waaaaay too much on our on board account and needed a vacation at the end! After a few you learn the ropes and each one is different. Not sure resorts can change like a cruise....

My wife and I used to always go to all inclusives but the last few years we have gone on cruises. A couple factors have pushed us towards cruises. Firstly the economic value is much better on a cruise, secondly we enjoy the entertainment.

Hi dortrust,

I love both, but I find that cruises are easier to compare, even across cruise lines, after I read reviews. So I can pick a cruise I've never been on and be pretty sure I'll know what kind of trip I'll have. Vacation time is expensive and hard to come by, so I like the certainty of cruising.

All inclusives are so varied, that it's hard for me to know what I will like, even after reading many reviews.

Here are my thoughts:

If sailing in a suite: the Haven on NCLs Getaway or Breakaway. The itinerary is ok. NCL could tweak it a bit to make the Bahamas port day better for me (i like 8am-5pm) and I like every other sea days. I also find the ship a tiny bit claustrophobic inside, although I adore the Waterfront. However, the suite life in the Haven is amazing. The staff, the physical layout, the perks, it's fabulous.

If sailing in any other cabin, Royal's Allure/Oasis and Freedom and Adventure class ships. The suite life on Royal is ok, nothing compared to the Haven. So there's no need for me to splurge for a suite to feel like I'm getting a restful vacation because Royal has created a spacious fun environment, with plenty of public spaces that are relaxing, so that I never feel crowded. I think the entertainment is fun and I love the promenade, Central Park and the Boardwalk, the running/walking track and the buffet.

For all inclusives, I have been to some really exceptional places, that are about the same price as a cruise. They don't work well for vacations with my teens, because they want more activity than an all inclusive provides. But for a couples vacation I have found fantastic food, service, beaches and pools and peace and quiet at the following:

Excellence Playa Mujeres: Excellence Club, north of Cancun. Wonderful! http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g1229340-d649432-r170456733-Excellence_Playa_Mujeres-Playa_Mujeres_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Paradisus Palma Real: Royal Service, Dominican Republic. Very Good. http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147293-d583034-r136096285-Paradisus_Palma_Real-Punta_Cana_La_Altagracia_Province_Dominican_Republic.html

Grand Lido Negril. We stayed there 21 years ago when it was brand new and it was fabulous: first rate food, service and setting. Wonderful room, fatastic view. beautiful beach. It went downhill and changed hands, but I hear it's stable now.

So what are your thoughts on cruises and all inclusives?

Really good question. I can only give my opinion and my experience.

We have done many, many cruises from cruise to know where to 10 day Mediterranean. We have done 2 All Inclusives, one in Aruba and one in Jamaica.

We prefer the cruises because we are not beach people. We don't lay in the sun in a beach chair all day or spend the day on the sand. Not a criticism to anyone who does, just not us.

An all inclusive is usually being in one place for 5-7 days and we prefer the adventure of seeing different places.

The answer lies with what your type of relaxation is. If you are happy with relaxing in one place and doing what activities are available, nothing wrong with that.

We prefer waking up in a new place and seeing the world, just us.

Follow your heart.

Lynda

If you really want to compare then select between an all inclusive cruise and an all inclusive land vacation.

We have done both many times. Which one do we like better? Probably the cruise but for only one reason - the food is truly better than any land based restaurant we have ever been in, whether at an AI or just a restaurant in any city.

On land you have much larger rooms, much much much better bathrooms, better gyms, etc. If you are on an island you have all the same excursions that you have when a ship stops there.

They both have their places.

We a re frequent Sandals guests- have been over 25 times to almost all of their resorts. I can definitely say the food is NOT better on a cruise ship. Better at Sandals. Although on a recent BA cruise a few months ago, I'd say that NCL is coming closer. I will give a cruiseship a big edge on drinks- much better made, more consistent and more variety of alcohols available on a cruiseship.

I like both but prefer AIs. I would have said no contest until about a year ago. Lately with the pricing, introducing the Bev packages and improvements in food, I think it is getting much, much closer. Cost- wise sandals and cruises were similar a few years ago when you added in drinks and speciality dining. Now, with sandals pricing increasing a lot, cruise prices coming down and including more, about equal.

The one huge plus of an AI for me is the pool/ beach. I live in the sun and water on a vacation. The pools on a ship are a joke and not at all relaxing. The gigantic pools where I float my days away and the ability to swim in the ocean morning, noon and night are what elevate my sandals vacations to heavenly. I can't get that on a cruiseship. Also, if you are an adult couple without kids, being at a couples- only resort is pure bliss.

Shows are glitzier, more professional on a cruise but there's something to be said for dancing barefoot on the beach with just a few other couples to a reggae band. There a much more personalized aspect to an AI- you seem to get to know the staff better as well as other guests. We've made lots of friends chatting at the pool at sandals.

Edited by conandrob240

We did an all inclusive for our honeymoon and probably won't do another. The food was good and the place was gorgeous, but there wasn't much to do and we aren't multiple days on the beach people. Plus the entertainment sucked. We hadn't planned on doing any outings but half way through the week we had to do something! It was a pita to arrange the snorkeling and drive there.

But i have a good friend who took a cruise and said he would stick with ais from now on...he didn't do the show or main dining room and drank enough he didn't like paying cruise prices for that.

I "almost" went to one this month. Seven friends are going. They booked the last week of February (school vacation week) and the price with airfare for the Dominican Republic resort was over $2,600. I knew I could do 2 1/2 cruises at that price so ultimately decided not to go. I can't possibly drink enough alcohol to make that add up correctly.

We have been doing an All Inclusive resort winter vacations for over 15 years now and love it!

I love not having a bill when I check out!

We started cruising a few years back for destinations that would be too expensive for us to do as a land stay, Alaska, Hawaii and Europe.

I don't have any interest in cruising the Caribbean as I much prefer to go to the beach from my resort room and having someone bring me a drink and food whenever I want it!

I don't want to have to pack a bag, take a taxi, rent a chair and buy expensive drinks and food at a public beach.

We went to Bermuda because of the Breakaway, sailing out of NYC and being in port for 3 days. But the first day we did the whole pack a bag thing and didn't enjoy ourselves so the next day did a day pass at a resort and had a wonderful time.

Someone posted that the cruise is much cheaper for them than an All Inclusive, for us no as we like our drinks and enjoy ungraded dining all of which is included at the All Inclusive Resort.

Just my opinions, but we will continue to vacation All Inclusive in the winter to get out of the snow and to do port interesting cruises during the summer months!

Did an all-inclusive in Aruba for 4 nights last August; was a nice vacation and a beautiful destination, but the food was subpar and there is a LOT more to do on a ship than at an expensive resort. Oh, did I say expensive? To put in perspective, we're paying over $600 less for a 9 night cruise than the 4 nights in Aruba.

If prices are comparable when factoring in UBP I would choose a cruise. Most all inclusive don't include top shelf liquor and only offer limited selection of beer. Usually only draft beer. As for the food I would give the cruise ship a little edge here

I've never done an all inclusive vacation per say, but I have done a lot of regular land based vacations. No matter where I am, if I see a cruise ship sail by, I always wish I had taken a cruise instead. I like the feeling of being on the open water, and a cruise seems like an adventure to me. I also like being able to wake up in the morning and being in a different place. Now, cruises do have their down side. You're usually only in port for 6-10 hours, so you can't really do and see all the things that you can do on a land based vacation.

We just got back from the Dominican AIC and had a great time. The beach was great and the pools were awesome. The swim up bars at the pool were a lot of fun.

We have done the Gem, and are going on the Breakaway in October. I would have to give a definite edge to the cruise on food and drinks. The only beer available at the resort was El Presidente, and we didn't care for it.

For us, one of the best things about the cruise, is we live in the NY area, so no flights are involved. Flying, unless you can afford first class, is very stressful. We have an hour ride to the NY cruise port, and once you drop your bags, and step on that ship, vacation starts!!!! Norwegian including the UBP was a no brainer for us. That makes the cruise much cheaper..

We've done both cruises and AI's. The Haven on NCL ships is similar to a top tier room at an AI WITH the great bathroom, living room, dining room, separate master bedroom. IMO food on NCL ships is better than at AI's, including Sandals, which tries very very hard, but I think the difference is where provisions come from and the limitations imposed by being on a Caribbean island as opposed to a ship.

At this point I think there are now 2 types of cruise vacations:

1. All about the ship

2. All about the ports

And 2 types of land based vacations:

1. All about the resort

2. All about places to go and things to do and see.

And finally the "Visit the family" type vacation which may or may not feel like a vacation. ;) But can be drastically improved by taking the extended family on a cruise or to a resort. :D

I think that all of these types of vacations are good and we enjoy all of them!

My wife and I used to always go to all inclusives but the last few years we have gone on cruises. A couple factors have pushed us towards cruises. Firstly the economic value is much better on a cruise, secondly we enjoy the entertainment.

When our kids were little, we did AI's. They were a great value for us, and went to 15 different ones in Bahamas and Caribbean. When our kids "aged out" and we had to begin paying adult prices (usually at age 12) we started cruising more and more, and AI's bit the dust with us. We love waking up at different ports every day or two. The entertainment on a ship wins hands-down over the fire-eaters, dancers, etc, at most AI's. Food is food to us - never starved at an AI or on a ship! My kids always made many more friends on a ship than at an AI, for some reason. Biggest factor was my kids vote for cruising when asked each year which they would prefer!

Just got off the phone with NCL to take advantage of the current promotions (KSF as well as UDP and UBP) for 2 Med. cruises this summer. Total cost (not including service charge) is $100 per person per day (for an ocean view cabin for 4). The downside is that a standard cruise cabin is a bit cramped for 4 people - AI resorts will offer 2-3 times more space (or more) in the room. The upside is that the $100 per day includes free drinks for the duration of the vacation (up to $10 per drink) and free specialty restaurants for the duration. The "a la carte" cost of those two benefits alone is about $75 per person per day; there's a huge incentive to book before this special expires at the end of Feb.

For my family of four, cruises have always been a better option than an AI, mostly because we're not really interested in sitting at the beach (or the pool) all day every day. We tend to be more of the "explorer" type when on vacation; cruises have allowed my kids to visit more than 30 countries so far.

We're also not really big drinkers so the cost of drinks on the cruise ship is not a major factor. Most of the AI prices I have seen are in the $200+ per person per day range; we've taken a couple of dozen cruises and I'm not sure we've every spent more than $100 per person per day even for a balcony cabin.

It very much depends upon the type of vacation that most appeals to you, but we've traditionally found that we can take 2 or 3 cruises week-long cruises for the cost of a one week AI.

~Bob

For us, we like to see things and move around so AI is not for us.

The people I know that have gone on an AI have also done nothing to make me want to go AI. When I ask about their AI vacation, it always sounds like they spent 7 days drinking and sitting around a pool or beach. I wish one of them would share a great vacation story with me. Seems like the first story everyone shares is about drinking a Bloody Mary cocktail with breakfast or how they consumed loads of Red Stripe Beer all day.

I have plenty of great cruise vacation stories but I don't have any cruise stories that contain the phrase "and we were so trashed".