Just off Brilliance - Nice but LOUD

CarolGS

My husband and I just returned home from a 5 night sailing on the Brilliance. I just completed the questionaire and would like to post my comments here to see if others agree or diasagree with my comment on the volume of the night music in the Centrium. We had our first cabin on the "hump" and really enjoyed the balcony size and expanded views. However, because of the proximity to the centrium we could not sleep until around midnight.

Here are our comments to RCCL:

Staff overall were very good but there was no one person who went above and beyond.

Our major disappointment was the entertainment staff's decision to provide VERY LOUD music in the centrium until 11:30 - 11:50 pm each evening. We were in cabin 9076 and we might as well have been trying to sleep in the corridor. Actually, walking down our corridor we noticed the sound carried quite far forward so there certainly are hundreds of guests who are negatively affected. The Kronos band was excellent and capable of playing several different genres of music most of which we enjoyed immensely. Perhaps they could wrap up the screaming electric guitar songs by 10 or 11 pm and then wind down the volume/style of music after that. I would believe that this would not negatively affect bar sales - perhaps it might even increase them as older clientele would be more likely to stay in the centrium and younger passengers would still stay for the quality of the music. There are other lounges/discos on the ship for late night partiers who enjoy really loud music. The rest of us would prefer to relax, listen, dance, talk to other guests or just enjoy the quiet of our cabins.

Comments?

Edited by CarolGS

My husband and I just returned home from a 5 night sailing on the Brilliance. I just completed the questionaire and would like to post my comments here to see if others agree or diasagree with my comment on the volume of the night music in the Centrium. We had our first cabin on the "hump" and really enjoyed the balcony size and expanded views. However, because of the proximity to the centrium we could not sleep until around midnight.

Staff overall were very good but there was no one person who went above and beyond.

Our major disappointment was the entertainment staff's decision to provide VERY LOUD music in the centrium until 11:30 - 11:50 pm each evening. We were in cabin 9076 and we might as well have been trying to sleep in the corridor. Actually, walking down our corridor we noticed the sound carried quite far forward so there certainly are hundreds of guests who are negatively affected. The Kronos band was excellent and capable of playing several different genres of music most of which we enjoyed immensely. Perhaps they could wrap up the screaming electric guitar songs by 10 or 11 pm and then wind down the volume/style of music after that. I would believe that this would not negatively affect bar sales - perhaps it might even increase them as older clientele would be more likely to stay in the centrium and younger passengers would still stay for the quality of the music. There are other lounges/discos on the ship for late night partiers who enjoy really loud music. The rest of us would prefer to relax, listen, dance, talk to other guests or just enjoy the quiet of our cabins.

Comments?

Thanks for the review- We are boarding the BR in 3 weeks. We also learned the hard way about having a cabin near the Centrum. Now we always make sure we are at least 7 or 8 cabins down the hall:)

We had hump cabins on deck 8 & totally agree with your comments...we had 1 cabin right off the hump & it was LOUD...the 2nd cabin was 3-4 back & it was better...but you could certainly still hear the music inside even with the door shut...we were to the aft of the centrum...I was on Jewel in Sept. and was 6-7 cabins forward of the centrum on deck 9 and did not have any problems with the noise...

Thanks for the review- We are boarding the BR in 3 weeks. We also learned the hard way about having a cabin near the Centrum. Now we always make sure we are at least 7 or 8 cabins down the hall:)

We always book 1560, which is about 3 down from the Centrum, and on the side of the ship opposite from the elevator banks, and we never hear anything - even on NYE. We've been in 9076 before, and it was quite noisy. We attributed that to being on the "open" side of the centrum. Being away from the elevators helps a lot - there's a solid wall from deck 5 all the way up to deck 12 on that side which separates the centrum from all of the starboard side cabins.

...We also learned the hard way about having a cabin near the Centrum. Now we always make sure we are at least 7 or 8 cabins down the hall:)

Yep - we go down the hall even further than that. So many people say "Oh, you can't hear the music at all - it won't bother you.", but I, and obviously other in this thread, beg to differ. :);)

Yep - we go down the hall even further than that. So many people say "Oh, you can't hear the music at all - it won't bother you.", but I, and obviously other in this thread, beg to differ. :);)

I hear ya!!!:) There was a thread on here not too long ago that someone started who was so happy that they got a hump cabin on one of these ships. I felt bad having to tell them that it could end up being very noisy unless you are a late night person.

I think someone else on that thread said that they even heard Centrum nooise during the day

We always book 1560, which is about 3 down from the Centrum, and on the side of the ship opposite from the elevator banks, and we never hear anything - even on NYE. We've been in 9076 before, and it was quite noisy. We attributed that to being on the "open" side of the centrum. Being away from the elevators helps a lot - there's a solid wall from deck 5 all the way up to deck 12 on that side which separates the centrum from all of the starboard side cabins.

This must be why, when we sailed the Serenade many years ago and were just a few cabins behind the hump and on the Starboard side, it was very quiet. That or they had the sense to keep the volume of the music played in the centrum at a reasonable level at night.

I will have to admit this cruise was fairly last minute and I did not do my research on here regarding cabin location. I thought I knew it all! ;)

Comments?

The noise is due to addl speakers added during the refit of these classes. We had cabin # 9078 (D1) on the Serenade and it was a disaster. We booked this cabin, a hump cabin, some 1.5 years in advance and turned into a major disappointed. The music from the band and show reverberated via the elevators and Centrum. Even tried to sleep on the veranda lounge chair with the robe to no avail. We constantly complained to GS and they tried everything in their power, eg. closing the emergency doors, but it became a bigger issue as Pax going to their cabins would open and the shutting made even more noise. Finally, on the 3rd of a 12 nite Mediterranean itinerary, we were told that there was cabin located mid-ship available, but was a lower category balcony cabin. At this point we did not care, wanted to get some decent sleep. Met with the manager a few days later to ask for credit due to the cheaper cabin. She was making so many excuses, such as the cabin prices were the same or the best was that as D's we were not allowed to be downgraded--We simply laughed at her excuses. At the end we received approx.. $800 per credit that we turned basically into free Oasis cruises.

I guess the days of entertainment staying in the entertainment venues is long gone. I really don't mind some of it being in the centrum but why so late at night? And does it have to be so loud?

I had my worse Princess cruise ever on the Star Princess in August due to a loud DJ in the Piazza on a few nights. So I guess all of the cruise lines are moving their entertainment out of the normal "confined" areas :mad:

On the ship in the Baltic three years ago. Every Night when we took the elevator to our room , we thanked our lucky stars that we were about half way down to the aft. We couldn't believe how loud the music was in the hallway!

Yikes! We just went to Mexico and back - so not that big a deal: we just stayed up and slept later in the morning. But on a Mediterranean or Baltic cruise, you are off the ship early in the morning for a long day of touring. When we last cruised the Med (Celebrity Millenium) we were exhausted and in bed at 9pm every night except for sea days. Loud music late at night would have been a disaster.

We love Brilliance and have another cruise booked in September, but we totally agree that cabins near the centrum are VERY loud. Our last cruise we had room 8102 which is the first room from the elevator, and although it was very convenient, it was loud. We usually bring earplugs which work very well to block the noise.

The Kronos band was excellent and capable of playing several different genres of music most of which we enjoyed immensely. Perhaps they could wrap up the screaming electric guitar songs by 10 or 11 pm and then wind down the volume/style of music after that.

Comments?

I hope Kronos and the screaming guitar player are still there on our 1/21 and 1/25/16 sailings. We were on the 12/10 and 12/14/15 Brilliance sailings and the guitar player was so loud we had to book 2 more sailings just to watch him bend the strings again.;)

I hope Kronos and the screaming guitar player are still there on our 1/21 and 1/25/16 sailings. We were on the 12/10 and 12/14/15 Brilliance sailings and the guitar player was so loud we had to book 2 more sailings just to watch him bend the strings again.;)

Yes, he was pretty good but I was more impressed by the backup singer who played bass guitar and keyboards...simultaneously! :D Truly, they are a talented group of musicians; I just wish that RCCL would find a more appropriate venue for Kronos' late night rock n roll set. Then perhaps they could play into the wee hours of the morning while the rest of us enjoyed activities of the horizontal kind. ;)

Instead of complaining.....why don't you just go downstairs and join the party. Sleep in the next day.

You're on Vacation!

If you have to sleep in the next day, that's not much of a vacation. LOL

Also, if you're accustomed to arise at 4AM everyday, including weekends, for the last 35+ years, it's not possible to sleep in.

Instead of complaining.....why don't you just go downstairs and join the party. Sleep in the next day.

You're on Vacation!

Thank you, but I vacation to do what I want, not what the cruise line or you think I should do.

I haven't seen anyone on this thread say that RCI shouldn't have party music as late as wished, just move it to to a location that gives passengers a choice of participating or not.

Thank you, but I vacation to do what I want, not what the cruise line or you think I should do.

I haven't seen anyone on this thread say that RCI shouldn't have party music as late as wished, just move it to to a location that gives passengers a choice of participating or not.

Exactly!

Not sure why others think that because we don't care for something - we need to change. :rolleyes:

I don't cruise the Caribbean and in Alaska and the Med the days are so full that I am usually exhausted by 10 pm. I don't think it is too much to expect a peaceful cabin while on vacation......

If you have to sleep in the next day, that's not much of a vacation. LOL

Also, if you're accustomed to arise at 4AM everyday, including weekends, for the last 35+ years, it's not possible to sleep in.

I hear ya!