Cuba Anyone?

keeponcruising

Well, a cruise would solve the food issue! We have done three land vacations in Cuba and the food offerings have been odd, to say the least. And we are not fussy eaters.

I imagine it would be best done with small ships,like the prinsendam or an azamara ship. Infrastructure in any port would be quickly overwhelmed if a large ship docked and tours were required.

Havana city tours would be great as well as tours in Santiago de Cuba. We have always felt very safe in Cuba.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We won't know anytime soon. The embargo has not been lifted and won't be anytime soon.

Hmm..Guess you have not heard the news..Our President just announced the embargo is being lifted, our prisoner in Cuba Alan ? was released & the U.S. is starting negotiations with Cuba..

IMO that's good news..

Hmm..Guess you have not heard the news..Our President just announced the embargo is being lifted, our prisoner in Cuba Alan ? was released & the U.S. is starting negotiations with Cuba..

No, he did not announce a lifting of the embargo. What he said was, there will be discussions on the embargo. The President has no power in that matter. It has to go to Congrees and pass with a 2/3 vote. Discussion hasn't even started, let alone being ready for a vote. This will not happen anytime soon and it is premature to get excited about this.

The embargo on travel isn't fully lifted, like you won't be able to go to expedia and buy airfare. Third-party sales will have to do the transaction, i doubt any American cruise line will be there quickly (though you know they are pushing hard to get there!).

Cuba anyone? I'll be there. Which cruise line will be the first to go there from the US?

You took the words out of my mouth. :D

Which cruise line will be first to sail from U.S. to Cuba?

Fingers crossed it will be HAL on an "S" ship. I would so want to be on that cruise. My DH really hoped to do that some day but too late for him. I'll do it for both of us.

No, he did not announce a lifting of the embargo. What he said was, there will be discussions on the embargo. The President has no power in that matter. It has to go to Congrees and pass with a 2/3 vote. Discussion hasn't even started, let alone being ready for a vote. This will not happen anytime soon and it is premature to get excited about this.

The embargo on travel isn't fully lifted, like you won't be able to go to expedia and buy airfare. Third-party sales will have to do the transaction, i doubt any American cruise line will be there quickly (though you know they are pushing hard to get there!).

I heard the same thing. Though the President may wish to lift the embargo, there is such clear language that forces this to go through Congress. This is not something the President has the power to do.

I heard the same thing. Though the President may wish to lift the embargo, there is such clear language that forces this to go through Congress. This is not something the President has the power to do.

I hear two words coming. "Executive Order"

Please explain why it would take a 2/3 vote in congress to lift the embargo. My understanding that any 2/3 vote is only required for constitutional amendments.

Regardless, I'm hoping the embargo is lifted and we can freely experience Cuba. Would be a tremendous addition for us travelers.

The President has no power in that matter. It has to go to Congrees and pass with a 2/3 vote.

The embargo is legislation so it can be changed with a simple majority. To debate the issue itself prior to a vote would require a super majority of 60 votes to end any filibuster but not a two-thirds vote (67 votes).

Edited by Padraic

IMO that's good news..

Actually the negotiations have been ongoing for a year now, with secret meetings hosted by Canada and apparently even Pope Francis has intervened in the discussions.

We won't know anytime soon. The embargo has not been lifted and won't be anytime soon.

I hear two words coming. "Executive Order"

Doesn't that just sum it up perfectly.

Edited by PathfinderEss