Fare alert!

marti2282

Good afternoon, all.

I did a dummy booking for our cruise this morning (Oosterdam, Nov 18) and found that our cabin category (SS) price had dropped $200 per person.

After final payment, but called our TA, and she was able to secure a $100 per person on board credit for us. That will buy dear husband quite a few Makers Marks!

Fewer than 50 days to go!

Just checked our 11/30 Zuiderdam sailing and only $100 less than when we booked, but without all of the "goodies" we got worth about $900 so we are still way ahead. Interesting to see how much price changes closer to departure. I check regularly just to see.

Jane

I was originally checking to see if any SBs were still available and if their prices had dropped. They've come way down also, but still not in our budget. So I will be content with the new OBC but continue to check on the SBs.

Fingers crossed!

I also check the HAL web site regular after we book a cruise. We've had price drops, once got up graded to a balcony from an interior at no cost on a TA. Our current cruise we've a price drop & when I checked today, some cabins where sold out & others had a price increase, so yes it does pay to check often.

Allan

One of the reasons we moved to Florida (from Illinois) was to catch those last-minute bargains that are out there. So many really tempting ones. Princess is offering some super deals from California to Hawaii. Too long in the air for me.

I can drive to Ft. Lauderdale, Miami or Tampa within 4.5 hours. All we have to do is make sure the cat sitter can be here. Then we be gone! Retirement is great.

Jim

One of the reasons we moved to Florida (from Illinois) was to catch those last-minute bargains that are out there. So many really tempting ones. Princess is offering some super deals from California to Hawaii. Too long in the air for me.

I can drive to Ft. Lauderdale, Miami or Tampa within 4.5 hours. All we have to do is make sure the cat sitter can be here. Then we be gone! Retirement is great.

Jim

Jim,

We did same. Retired and moved to SW FL Gulf coast. Love being so close to beach and no flights for cruises. 4 ports within few hours. Love it! Looking to pick up some of those last-minute bargains too.

Jane

Jim

Color me jealous!! I am anxiously awaiting dh's retirement so we can be you. I'm already retired, but he's enjoying his job too much to leave it yet. Can't wait to leave the snow behind. :)

...from an Internet agency.

For the Westerdam in the middle of November, San Diego to Mexico, 7 days. They are having mega problems trying to fill this cruise.

I think it is the 'fear of Mexico' that a lot of people have.

Anyway, $899.00 pp for an SB aft corner, wraparound balcony suite.

Perfect for us since we live on the west coast so flights will not be a problem.

...from an Internet agency.

For the Westerdam in the middle of November, San Diego to Mexico, 7 days. They are having mega problems trying to fill this cruise.

I think it is the 'fear of Mexico' that a lot of people have.

Anyway, $899.00 pp for an SB aft corner, wraparound balcony suite.

Perfect for us since we live on the west coast so flights will not be a problem.

WOW!

Glad you are able to take advantage -- great deal!

WOW!

Glad you are able to take advantage -- great deal!

My husband is a fanatic about checking cruise prices. He checks just about every morning when he gets up.

We never use the cruiseline to book, just internet sites.

The trouble is when you see a fantastic deal....you really have to take it right then. Clicking back on the site even in an hour might reveal a different price.

Because we fly out of San Francisco, I new airfare would not be a problem. Occasionally we see something fantastic cross country but airfare is to high.

This price only came up on 1 site when I used my past guest number. The other sites were 3 times as much....that is why you always have to check more than one site.

Also there are cruiselines like Celebrity & Royal Caribbean that say they are 'price fixed'.

That is really just for advertised prices so it is good to get on the email list of some internet agencies. Although you get flooded with a lot of their junk mail, they sometimes send you fantastic deals.

I have not had any luck with getting last minute deals directly from any cruiseline except Princess. They let you sign up & I do receive incredible discounts from them but they are very last minute.

We had prebooked a holiday cruise for this Christmas on the Oosterdam while we were on the Eurodam last New Years.

Four days before final payment we saw (on HAL web page) that prices had come down substantially, and private TA was able to rebook at discounted rate.

As others have noted before, it may pay to check before final payment date, so that one can cancel and rebook if prices have dropped substantially since the time of booking.

Edited by Zyzygy

We had prebooked a holiday cruise for this Christmas on the Oosterdam while we were on the Eurodam last New Years.

Four days before final payment we saw (on HAL web page) that prices had come down substantially, and private TA was able to rebook at discounted rate.

As others have noted before, it may pay to check before final payment date, so that one can cancel and rebook if prices have dropped substantially since the time of booking.

FYI - since you booked with HAL directly, you could have just called them and they would get you the lower fare. This way is easier, plus you can keep your cabin and any shore excursions or other cruise purchases intact.