Family card games

MaiTaiMary

We'll be cruising with our 7, 8, and 10 year old. I'd like to pack a couple of card games we can play.

Any suggestions other than UNO or a regular deck of cards?

:)

A few more suggestions:

Crazy 8, Fish, Old Maid, and one that's not a card game, but is easy to learn, pack and play: LCR (it's a dice game that even my 6 yr old grandchildren can play).

Phase 10 is awesome (I'm an avid player)....but it is definitely not the quickest of games. A game your kids may like along with all the adults involved may be Mad Gabs. I could be wrong on the name, but I'll look it up and double check. If wrong, I'll post a correction.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I also say Phase 10. We are starting to teach our niece (she's 6), so we've cut it down to Phase 3 or Phase 5 with her. She's also a huge Go Fish fan. Over the summer we were able to pick up Finding Nemo GoFish/Old Maid and Dr. Seuss Go Fish/Match Game in the $1 of Target. We've had some trouble teaching her to hold her cards, but we were also able to find Frozen themed card holders in there are well.

You might look at some of the different Uno options too, just to change it up. We have an older Disney Uno game that has some different rules and cards that aren't in the regular game.

For some more off-beat suggestions:

Jungle Speed (a fun but compact and infinitely repayable reflex and memory game)

Timeline (for slightly older kids and teens, who are into history)

We Didn't Playtest This At All (for random, infuriating, hilarious nonsensical game)

Asmadi Games has a number of other small deck games of various kinds, which would be easy to pack and worth checking out for age and interest. I demoed Flowerfall last year at GenCon and it was surprisingly engaging for such a simple game.

Edited by Odile

• 1 year later...

My son is 8 and we play gin rummy together. I bought those little hands card holders when he was younger so that helps him hold all the cards.

I tried teaching him how to play cribbage; but God help me, I can't remember how, and re-learning it seems so complicated!!!

I'm off to google Phase 10 and LRC!

As a family, we play JOKERS, which is about as much as my DH and my DD can take ; )

RAt-a-tat-cat. We love this game and it is super quick.

Another thing I have gotten TONS of use out of is an iphone version of a game called Heads Up. I can't tell you how many times we have been stuck in a line somewhere and I pull out my phone and we start playing. Usually everyone in line around us starts to join in as well!

If you are willing to go away from cards there are a lot of dice games that use very similar components. Take a sent of dice and misc. markers with you and adding another game is often as simple as adding a photocopied small board and the rules. I have a small box that travels with us that contains common components and rules for Can't Stop, Qwixx, Level X, Numeri, Finito, and Martian Dice. And I'm sure there are more that could be played.

This box is also borrowed by our cruising friends, who mark inside the lid where it has been. The box is more well traveled than we are!

Martian dice has gotten the most attention from other passengers (we trash talk a lot when playing it).

We also have taken a very select brick of Dominion cards with us. This usually gets the attention of the crew - we find that many of them know games.

Have fun!

There's a German game called The Great Dalmutie, but I've no idea whether it's available in English. My brother-in-law speaks German so could read the instructions!

I didn't check whether you're UK or US, but there's a game Whot that's good for children in the UK. Don't know whether it's in the USA.

There's a German game called The Great Dalmutie, but I've no idea whether it's available in English. My brother-in-law speaks German so could read the instructions!

I didn't check whether you're UK or US, but there's a game Whot that's good for children in the UK. Don't know whether it's in the USA.

It's available in the US on the Internet. It is called The Great Dalmuti here. I'm not sure if English rules are included, but translations are available on-line.