Is this a possibility? Cruise to all-inclusive

coltsmama

Me and my husband have only two cruises under our belts, both through Carnival, and he is thinking that maybe the next vacation he'd like to try an all-inclusive instead, to see how it compares. I, however, love cruising and just love the value. I was wondering if it is possible to cruise to a port that has an all inclusive, and we could stay there a week or whatever, and then catch another cruise back? are there any cruise lines that do anything like that, or am I just making up scenarios in my head? lol

That might be tough to do. I say that only because most all-inclusives are in the Mexico/Caribbean and most cruises that go there are 'round trip.

The only ones that I know of that don't leave out of the US leave out of Puerto Rico. Maybe you could fly to an AI in, say, the Dominican Republic then catch a flight/ferry/something to PR, do a cruise, then fly home. Just thinking out loud here!

There ARE some one-way trips.....TransAtlantic/Pacific or through the Panama Canal. You might look at "repositioning" cruises as well.

We've done both cruises and AIs and like them both. It all depends on what you want out of your vacation. Many times we do an AI and use that as our 'base' and do day trips to see something fun.

No matter what you do, enjoy it. Everyone's definition of a vacation is different. Find what yours is and stick with it. Good luck!

That might be tough to do. I say that only because most all-inclusives are in the Mexico/Caribbean and most cruises that go there are 'round trip.

The only ones that I know of that don't leave out of the US leave out of Puerto Rico. Maybe you could fly to an AI in, say, the Dominican Republic then catch a flight/ferry/something to PR, do a cruise, then fly home. Just thinking out loud here!

Puerto Rico is part of the US...

Windstar & Star clippers start from some Caribbean Islands so you could fly to one do the AI then cruise around & fly home

Some other cruise lines like P & O or Pullmantur cruise lines also could work for you

MSC sails from the DR

Edited by LHT28

Puerto Rico is part of the US...

The only ones that I know of that don't leave out of the CONTINENTAL US leave out of Puerto Rico. Maybe you could fly to an AI in, say, the Dominican Republic then catch a flight/ferry/something to PR, do a cruise, then fly home. Just thinking out loud here!

Probably the closest you can get to a combination vacation is to do a cruise and then fly to an airport by an AI or vice versa. If time is a problem, there are shorter (3-5 day cruises). We have sometimes combined a land stay with a cruise (for example, after a Caribbean cruise, we took an additional week and stayed in Miami and then the Keys).

Theoretically, with the proper advanced permissions both from the cruise line and the island you would be visiting, it may be possible as in essence you would be completing a closed loop cruise in total.

But in practice you would be required to pay for two complete cruises even though you would be using each one basically as different one way passages in addition to the cost of the all inclusive resort.

We were on a Southern Caribbean cruise many years ago where a couple we met on board on their 2 week honeymoon did just that. They boarded the ship in Puerto Rico and got off in Barbados (luggage in tow), where they planned to spend a week. They joined us on the beach that day and did not return to the ship. Their plans were to then re-board the same ship on its next itinerary the following week in Barbados and complete the remainder of the cruise returning to Puerto Rico. The methodology of them doing this was as I described with prearranged permissions and the full cost of both cruises.

Perhaps things have changed since then and it may not be as easily done today but that was what they did at the time.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The only ones that I know of that don't leave out of the CONTINENTAL US leave out of Puerto Rico. Maybe you could fly to an AI in, say, the Dominican Republic then catch a flight/ferry/something to PR, do a cruise, then fly home. Just thinking out loud here!

You do know that leaving from the CONTINENTAL US and leaving from Puerto Rica have the same laws and penalties. No difference between leaving from Miami and Puerto Rico.

Have you tried looking at Hawaii?

I don't see anywhere in your OP stating a preference for the Caribbean. You could book a one way 7 day Hawaii cruise,do 7 days at an AI, then do a 7 day cruise home or fly.

Cheers, h

There aren't one way cruises between HI and continental US. Cruises from continental US to Hawaii are round trip back to US.

There aren't one way cruises between HI and continental US. Cruises from continental US to Hawaii are round trip back to US.

You would have to start or end your cruise in Ensenada or Vancouver. There's not too many of those cruises and some of the ones starting or ending in Canada are part of a repo cruise.

Hawaii is a good way to do this. Fly in to Hawaii and spend as many days as you want on the islands, then do either the island cruise that starts and stops in Hawaii, or a cruise that spends a few days in the islands than sails back to the US. You will both get all you want of sailing and resorts.

Burt

It may depend on the line, the ports along the way and the port you ultimately want to get off (and then back on) at. We know folks who have done this, but they paid two full cruise fares.

A friend leaves next week on a cruise to all-inclusive. I think she said the cruise line is Carribbean Cruises, and the resort is in the Bahamas, perhaps on a private island.

They have one night aboard ship, 4 or 5 nights at the resort, and one night cruise back.

For my money, not enough cruise time to justify all that packing/unpacking, but I sure could enjoy a week-week-week situation. You know, break up that B2B action with some serious beach time.