Formal night Every Night

I never said I wanted to force people to dress formal. However, the Quantum/Anthem will have 17 dining venues that are casual or smart casual, and ONE that is formal. I can understand people who don't want to dress up complaining about not being able to go the MDR on other ships because the alternatives are the buffet, or a pay restaurant. On the Quantum they will have several more "nice" establishments where they can dine, but not have to get all gussied up, or pay extra.

Folks have been complaining about formal nights on CC for years, and many have suggested setting aside one dining room where people can dress formal. Now that they've done just this, people are still going to complain that they can't eat in the formal restaurant, unless they dress formal :confused: I don't get it.

You CCers know this will happen. Just wait 'til the new ships start sailing.

It is simple why people will complain....IF, the menu offering is NOT available at another restaurant. I don't like to vacation and dress formal, simple as that. For formal night on traditional cruises, our formal is NOT tux and long evening gown ('glittery outfit for me and slacks and bold bright shirt for DH, sometimes sports jacket). Not formal by any standard of mine. If I wanted to enjoy the menu offering from the Grande and couldn't because of my attire, I could see myself being pissed.

Can you see that point of view?

I believe LMAXWELL mentioned that lobster will be available everynight in the American Icon Grill. Where can I see the menus for the various restaurants, especially the MDR no fee ones. thanks....

I believe LMAXWELL mentioned that lobster will be available everynight in the American Icon Grill. Where can I see the menus for the various restaurants, especially the MDR no fee ones. thanks....

Scroll down, click on the restaurant you want to see, then on the smaller "view restaurant" icon and the menus will appear

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/dining/

It is simple why people will complain....IF, the menu offering is NOT available at another restaurant. I don't like to vacation and dress formal, simple as that. For formal night on traditional cruises, our formal is NOT tux and long evening gown ('glittery outfit for me and slacks and bold bright shirt for DH, sometimes sports jacket). Not formal by any standard of mine. If I wanted to enjoy the menu offering from the Grande and couldn't because of my attire, I could see myself being pissed.

No.

Are you also going to be mad if you're staying in a balcony cabin, but want to eat something only available in the suite restaurant but didn't want to pay for a suite? Or be mad because you want something from Chops, but don't want to pay $30? Well, the "price" for the items in The Grande is to wear formal attire. Royal made the rules, so let's see how well they are enforced.

Here's the link to the dining program announcement:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5804

Specifically about formal nights:

"The dress code at three of the dining rooms will be casual, but The Grande is for those who love to dress up in their finest. A nod to the bygone era of ocean crossings, The Grande will offer timeless dishes to diners clad in elegant evening wear. Lobster lovers take note: the popular crustacean will be available every night."

I never said I wanted to force people to dress formal. However, the Quantum/Anthem will have 17 dining venues that are casual or smart casual, and ONE that is formal. I can understand people who don't want to dress up complaining about not being able to go the MDR on other ships because the alternatives are the buffet, or a pay restaurant. On the Quantum they will have several more "nice" establishments where they can dine, but not have to get all gussied up, or pay extra.

Folks have been complaining about formal nights on CC for years, and many have suggested setting aside one dining room where people can dress formal. Now that they've done just this, people are still going to complain that they can't eat in the formal restaurant, unless they dress formal :confused: I don't get it.

You CCers know this will happen. Just wait 'til the new ships start sailing.

No need to wait until the ships start sailing, the complaining has already begun, as I predicted. :rolleyes:

No.

Are you also going to be mad if you're staying in a balcony cabin, but want to eat something only available in the suite restaurant but didn't want to pay for a suite? Or be mad because you want something from Chops, but don't want to pay $30? Well, the "price" for the items in The Grande is to wear formal attire. Royal made the rules, so let's see how well they are enforced.

Well stated! :cool:

No.

Great analogy!

No.

You can order items for an 'upcharge' in the MDR, if you so choose....that is a cruisers option. Confusing dress with fee, is wrong.

If there is a suite restaurant that is only available to suite cruisers that is just fine. That comes with the choices someone makes for the cabins they picked and a substantially higher cabin rate as well, if a suite is chosen. The comparison isn't correct. All the restaurants are available to all cruisers -- those that have an additional fee, people can choose to go to or not. But they should also be able to have the menu options available (and if needed an appropriate extra charge) -- without having the requirement of dressing in a certain way. It is their vacation as well.

I am in complete agreement here. I like the idea of a formal restaurant. I don't particularly like dressing formally more than once on a cruise, but I like this menu and I understand the policy and what is required. For those that like formal evening they can go to this restaurant at their discretion, once, twice, or every night if they wish. Yet some people are unhappy because it's not the WHOLE SHIP participating. People that want formal night are getting what they asked for and yet don't seem satisfied.
I'm sure... Just like there will also those who will howl "I paid good money for my cruise and I should be able to have dinner in the Grande in my running shorts, t-shirt & flip flops if I want to! I shouldn't be kept out if I don't want to dress up!!!"

So far I think my prediction is coming true a whole lot more than yours... :)

So far I think my prediction is coming true a whole lot more than yours... :)

That's a shame. RCI is giving people EXACTLY what they asked for. A formal environment with enforced dress code and people whiz and moan over it. As much as I eschew formality in my daily life, I am all for an environment of formality being created and held to for those that want it.

People are just going to have to realize they can not have everything in life handed to them if they whine and stamp their feet loudly. Sometimes you have to follow the rules to get what you want. I understand and accept that if I want to eat in The Grande that I need to dress appropriately! It is not simply my choice WHEN and how OFTEN or NOT to do so. I think it is brilliant.

That's a shame. RCI is giving people EXACTLY what they asked for. A formal environment with enforced dress code and people whiz and moan over it. As much as I eschew formality in my daily life, I am all for an environment of formality being created and held to for those that want it.

People are just going to have to realize they can not have everything in life handed to them if they whine and stamp their feet loudly. Sometimes you have to follow the rules to get what you want. I understand and accept that if I want to eat in The Grande that I need to dress appropriately! It is not simply my choice WHEN and how OFTEN or NOT to do so. I think it is brilliant.

Agree completely - and I have no issues or complaints with the rest of the ship not being formal.

That would be pretty silly - when I go out to a nice, upscale restaurant here with a dress code, it's not like I expect the rest of the city or even the rest of the neighborhood to adhere to that restaurant's dress code.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Edited by LetsGetWet!

TBone2k...you mentioned that RCCL says that lobster will be available everynight when you talk about The Grande...but I don't see it when I go to their menu..did I miss something?

I don't know, I was just quoting the article. You are right though, I don't see lobster there, but it is on the menu at American Icon Grill.

Edited by TBone2K

I would LOVE to dress formally every night IF we were cruising back in the days of flying with unlimited luggage and steamer trunks.

The harsh reality is that many of us are trying to stick to allowable carry-ons or, at most, one checked bag. This makes it much more difficult to pack proper formal wear. One night is doable, two, maybe. Multiple, not so much. The hubby's suit, dress shoes and a couple of dress shirts pretty much take up one large carryon, with maybe room for a few tshirts and some underwear. Forget gowns!

Personally, I think this is the real reason many people don't "do" formal. It's a pain in the buttocks.

I would LOVE to dress formally every night IF we were cruising back in the days of flying with unlimited luggage and steamer trunks.

The harsh reality is that many of us are trying to stick to allowable carry-ons or, at most, one checked bag. This makes it much more difficult to pack proper formal wear. One night is doable, two, maybe. Multiple, not so much. The hubby's suit, dress shoes and a couple of dress shirts pretty much take up one large carryon, with maybe room for a few tshirts and some underwear. Forget gowns!

Personally, I think this is the real reason many people don't "do" formal. It's a pain in the buttocks.

Admittedly we do have an advantage. I have Lifetime Platinum status on American Airlines due to extensive business travel, so we pretty much still have unlimited free baggage as long as we're flying AA. We're doing a chartered cruise in May with lots of different theme nights in addition to formal night - will have to see how much luggage we come up with for that one. If I was paying the $25?$35 per bag each way, we might reevaluate too. But I'm thinking the main thing we'd probably cut out would be the tux & gown. A suit with multiple shirts and ties, and cocktail dresses for her doesn't take up all that much room. For us the largest factor is probably how many shoes she brings! :D

I would be surprised if they could even keep a small dining room requiring formal every night filled each evening.

Many people celebrate special occasions on cruise ships, and many just like to dress elegantly, not us, but we dress very well. I can see, depending on the size of the dining venue and PRICE up charge, and not counting on the average formal diner to pay for it, a formal venue might very well be a good experiment. I assume it would be much like the Captains table that many people crave to be at.

Admittedly we do have an advantage. I have Lifetime Platinum status on American Airlines due to extensive business travel, so we pretty much still have unlimited free baggage as long as we're flying AA. We're doing a chartered cruise in May with lots of different theme nights in addition to formal night - will have to see how much luggage we come up with for that one. If I was paying the $25?$35 per bag each way, we might reevaluate too. But I'm thinking the main thing we'd probably cut out would be the tux & gown. A suit with multiple shirts and ties, and cocktail dresses for her doesn't take up all that much room. For us the largest factor is probably how many shoes she brings! :D

Try $100 each way for a second bag...flying Air Canada to Heathrow! At least most international flights don't charge for the first checked bag like most domestic flights do. I used to be able to check a bag per person on Delta for free, since I had their credit card, but I dropped that like a hot potato when they raised the fee for the card to higher than the benefits were worth to me. I'll stick with Southwest for domestic flights when I can. They still allow 2 checked bags free.

I believe a consistently-formal dining area (i.e. "The Grande") is a reasonable compromise. It will placate those who enjoy dressing up and save them from viewing the unwashed masses.

I also believe that the success of this endeavor does not depend on how well RCI enforces the dress requirements. Rather, society will dictate how long the segregated concept lasts, especially if "The Grande" offers food that is available no where else (for example: filet mignon, lobster, escargot, etc.). If RCI does not provide a non-formal outlet in which to receive these items, passengers will revolt and "The Grande" is doomed to failure.

History does not lie.

$25 or $35 may be true on US flights, but the last time we took a transatlantic the second suitcase was $100. We cut back on that cruise on our luggage.

I believe a consistently-formal dining area (i.e. "The Grande") is a reasonable compromise...

if "The Grande" offers food that is available no where else (for example: filet mignon, lobster, escargot, etc.)....passengers will revolt and "The Grande" is doomed to failure.

I like the overall concept of the multiple and varied dining rooms, but the above statement is very true. I know I would be upset. I doubt very much that a formal-only dining room will be full every night. Maybe it would be busy on sea days (like many formal nights are now), but on busy/late shore days, not so much. And seeing the "best" dining room sitting nearly empty, while waiting in line for another venue would be annoying, at the very least.

Edited by srlafleur

I believe a consistently-formal dining area (i.e. "The Grande") is a reasonable compromise. It will placate those who enjoy dressing up and save them from viewing the unwashed masses.

I also believe that the success of this endeavor does not depend on how well RCI enforces the dress requirements. Rather, society will dictate how long the segregated concept lasts, especially if "The Grande" offers food that is available no where else (for example: filet mignon, lobster, escargot, etc.). If RCI does not provide a non-formal outlet in which to receive these items, passengers will revolt and "The Grande" is doomed to failure.

History does not lie.

I like the overall concept of the multiple and varied dining rooms, but the above statement is very true. I know I would be upset. I doubt very much that a formal-only dining room will be full every night. Maybe it would be busy on sea days (like many formal nights are now), but on busy/late shore days, not so much. And seeing the "best" dining room sitting nearly empty, while waiting in line for another venue would be annoying, at the very least.

I guess we'll find out soon enough whether the Grande will attract reasonable levels of diners or not.

As for the menus, I've already seen that brought up, specifically with respect to lobster - and its been confirmed that lobster is available in at least one of the other main venues. I agree that other venues have to have similar quality of food and also make sure to offer some of the key "marquee" items like lobster. I don't think we'll see an "identical" menu at one of the other venues, and that wouldn't seem to make much sense, sure would take away from the variety. Hopefully not too many of the "I won't dress up no matter what!" crowd will insist on absolutely identical menus somewhere else every evening.

Would be the loneliest ship in the fleet

My guess would be that it would sail with less than 20% of cabins occupied

My guess is that it would sail no less full than the rest of the fleet average.

It would be interesting to see if a group out there were willing to do a whole ship charter; throwback style. Higher cruise cost, formal evenings, introduce some of the missed services (white glove service, chocolates on pillows). Afterall they have full ship charters for music and entertainment cruises, kid free, adult, and lifestyle cruises. People are willing to pay significantly higher costs to participate in activities and events that interest them and have a say in how the ship runs that week as well.

I don't disagree with your statement, but if the demand was there someone would try it I think.

Why a higher cruise cost? It doesn't cost 1 cent more to enforce a "No jeans, No hats, No t-shirts dress code with the normal 2 formal nights that require a jacket and tie minimum.

It would be very easy to announce that 1 ship, say Enchantment, would have the MDR dress code enforced, then run with it for a season. Maybe even bring back the Horse Races!

Couldn't be any worse than some of the other decisions they have made.

Why a higher cruise cost? It doesn't cost 1 cent more to enforce a "No jeans, No hats, No t-shirts dress code with the normal 2 formal nights that require a jacket and tie minimum.

It would be very easy to announce that 1 ship, say Enchantment, would have the MDR dress code enforced, then run with it for a season. Maybe even bring back the Horse Races!

Couldn't be any worse than some of the other decisions they have made.

I don't think you could pick just one ship and run with it, as you say. People expect a consistent pattern throughout the fleet. People want to wear jeans to dinner. Why is that a problem? People don't book Royal Caribbean for a rigid, formal dress code requirement.

Would have to pick another ship besides one that runs a 3/4 day Bahamas run. If you tried to employ a strict dress code on that itinerary you'd be sailing empty ships.

So why a charter? That gives the group complete say over the clientele makeup. It's a FORMAL cruise. That means formal style activities and dress code, no shorts in any public venues past 4 PM except the pool deck. Pants, jacket, tie are required every evening for dinner and for after dinner entertainment. Ball room dancing and Sinatra until your eyes fall out. Pay more, get more, eliminate the things you don't want.

Yes, horse racing should return regardless. Why did that ever go away?

Hopefully not too many of the "I won't dress up no matter what!" crowd will insist on absolutely identical menus somewhere else every evening.

They will, count on it. And if you think about it objectively, they have every right to.