Tahiti 10 day cruise - a few general questions...

RenaeInCA

I really need a little help before I decide to book the Tahiti 10 day cruise for Feb 2015. First off, this would be our first RSSC cruise (3 HAL, 1 X prior) and first time to Tahiti. We will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary, so I really want this trip to be special. Mostly I am trying to decide if we will do a resort only or the RSSC cruise with a few resort nights. Typically, we do a Caribbean cruise in the Spring, and a Hawaiian resort in the Fall/Winter. We don't usually do a lot of activities or excursions. Often times, we are fine with getting off the ship and exploring on our own and then enjoying the quiet atmosphere on board while everyone is off the ship.

I have a few questions/concerns that I hope someone can help me with:

1. On the RSSC excursions, are most of them scheduled first thing in the AM or are they paced out (i.e. 8am or Noon for a 8am to 6pm port call)?

2. Are any of you RSSC regulars the type who really just enjoy relaxing on the ship and taking a few excursions off the ship?

3. What is the evening dress on board? I can't recall off hand what the evening attire requirements are.

4. Are there a lot of kids on board? On HAL there wasn't and on X there were. In fact, on the X cruise there were three alones in the room next door that really put a damper on our enjoyment of the cruise.

I guess my fear is that between the long flight (we do live on the West Coast though) and port-intensive cruise, my DH won't find the cruise as relaxing as going to one or two Tahitian resorts.

If you can help, thanks so much!

While I also love the Paul Gauguin, I would look at Regent if I wanted included excursions as excursions in the South Pacific can be expensive. So, I'll try to answer the questions.

If an excursion is 4 hours or less Regent many times schedules them in the morning and in the afternoon. Longer excursions are typically in the morning (kind of early). Sometimes the ship arrives in the afternoon stays in port later which would allow for a longer afternoon excursion.

Regent typically does not have many children on board when school is in session. If schools still celebrate President's week, it can happen in February, but Tahiti is quite a long ways to go on a short school break. The most children we have seen onboard Regent was during Christmas break last year -- there were 20 (and we'll never sail at Christmas again:-) I would plan on seeing 5-8 children on board.

We have found that passengers on Tahiti itineraries prefer going off the ship to a beach rather than staying onboard. However, there will always been a few people on board by the pool. Regent regulars in particular go out on their own and do not take only included excursions. It is great when you can meet up with another couple of two and do a private excursion.

Dress on Regent in the evening is Elegant Casual. This means no shorts or denim in the evening. Men tend to wear slacks and a short or long sleeved collared shirt (depending upon the weather). Women also wear pants and a top or a dress (sundresses in warmer climates also work). There are always some men that are more comfortable wearing a sports coat when dining in the specialty restaurants or going to the Captain's Reception. This is not necessary -- it depends upon how dressed up you wish to be.

Keep in mind that you can make your cruise as relaxing or active as you want. We tend to take excursions of under 4 hours so we have the rest of the time to relax. Sometimes we get off of the ship and simply explore the area for as long as we want to. People who take excursions all day, every day do get very tired out. We sometimes designate a day as a sea day even though we are in port. Canyon Ranch Spa runs specials on port days so you could pamper yourself.

In terms of a resort in Tahiti, you can stay a day or two before or after the cruise if this is what your husband would be comfortable with. For us, resorts are too quiet/boring. We much prefer to awaken in a new place every day -- even if we simply want to go to the beach and relax:)

Edited by Travelcat2

We were on the Paul Gauguin when it was managed by Regent. I would be my first choice to see Tahiti.

The small ship was built for the islands. They have a sports deck and a dive team that is unsurpassed. They are staffed by the locals and it is one of the best experiences for the islands. They day we were on the private motu at Tahaa is one I will never forget. The Circle Bora Bora by canoe was amazing. The underwater walk phenomenal.

We stayed for 4 nights at the Intercontinental on Tahiti before the cruise - lovely.

We are booked on this cruise in December, although for 11 nights. Although we should be able to book all our excursions by now, only two locations are available. All three excursions we have been able to book start at 8.30 am and last for 3-4 hours giving the afternoon free for wandering about the location or lounging on the beach/lagoon.

I have found it impossible to get a response regarding private excursions in the more remote locations where Regent did not offer excursions. There seems to be a few sea days for total relaxation and I cannot imagine in general excursions will be too intensive - I would think Island Time will prevail.

There is an option (albeit expensive) to spend a night in an overwater onshore site in Bora Bora, but not much detail is provided, but it is a special occasion for you.

Given Paul Gauguin seems to have this market tied up and Regent is dragging its heels in delivering excursion opportunities, you might be better off with that option - if we weren't using this cruise as a chance to catch up with friends as well, we might change our minds.

I would definitely do either Paul Gaugain or Regent, not a resort. We did Paul Gaugain when it was managed by Regent--it was wonderful. We also stayed a couple of nights in an over water bungalow, and while that was really special, it was extremely expensive. Way more expensive than Paul Gaugain or Regent. And food was also ridiculously expensive and not that good.

We enjoyed the Paul Gaugain excursions very much, and we rented a car on Bora Bora and Moorea and did our own thing there.

Thank you for the replies! Originally, I had only considered Paul Gauguin for this cruise but then I saw it being promoted at a "family cruise line" in Travel & Leisure magazine and that surprised and concerned me. Don't get me wrong, I love children and can't wait to have grandchildren. But, we had noisy children with inattentive parents mar our last cruise.

My husbands two cruise irks are getting up early to leave the ship in port and dressing for dinner. I don't think I can get around the dressing for dinner for him. I think it would be so nice to see Tahiti and the Society Islands in their entirety, rather than just see a few islands.

I have found it impossible to get a response regarding private excursions in the more remote locations where Regent did not offer excursions. There seems to be a few sea days for total relaxation and I cannot imagine in general excursions will be too intensive - I would think Island Time will prevail.

You can find private excursions, look at the Pacific Islands board here on CC, the Paul Gauguin CC board, or the roll-call section for the PG or Oceania (which also does Tahiti.) There's lots of the discussion about private guides--some are quite well-known.

Thank you for the replies! Originally, I had only considered Paul Gauguin for this cruise but then I saw it being promoted at a "family cruise line" in Travel & Leisure magazine and that surprised and concerned me. Don't get me wrong, I love children and can't wait to have grandchildren. But, we had noisy children with inattentive parents mar our last cruise.

My husbands two cruise irks are getting up early to leave the ship in port and dressing for dinner. I don't think I can get around the dressing for dinner for him. I think it would be so nice to see Tahiti and the Society Islands in their entirety, rather than just see a few islands.

There are very few children generally on the PG, with the possible except of holidays, like Easter, Christmas or March Break. We had some children on one cruise over Easter, and they did monopolize the (tiny) pool, but other than that were pretty well-behaved.

If you don't like dressing up for dinner, the PG is for you--it is the most casual of ships--just no jeans or shorts at dinner, that's about it.

No one cruise will take you to all the islands, but various of the PG itineraries do cover a lot of the bases--and it is a terrific way to be introduced to the islands, and economical, considering the very high prices on the islands.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Perhaps those of you that have sailed on the Paul Gauguin recently can give the OP an idea of the cost of excursions. If I had not been to Tahiti previously, the cost of excursions on the PG (and food off of the ship) could be a deal breaker.

We are booked on Regent's 11 day (it was 10 but was changed to 11) Tahiti to Tahiti cruise December 2014. We were about to book our cruise on Paul Gauguin when Regent came out with this itinerary. One of the reasons we went with Regent was the cabins. Cabins on the Mariner are much bigger than PG and I love the walk-in closets. Regent includes tours (even though so far the only tours posted for booking are Bora Bora and Moorea), and finally we love the Regent experience. We have cruised on all three ships and always had excellent service, good food, and good tour guides. Even my TA who's cruised on PG many times told me I was better off with Regent for above reasons. We have never seen a lot of kids cruising on Regent. On our Baltic cruise (in August) we saw a few well behaved children. The same in Alaska. We didn't see any children in Mediterranean cruises or Greek Islands/Israel/Turkey. I think it depends on time of year and if you see children there are very few and very well behaved. You won't see kids running around, splaying around the pool, and being loud as you see in mainstream cruise lines. At least we haven't seen them. You will have a wonderful, relaxing, cruise. The tours we booked last week all started at 8:30am. Morning excursions is usually the norm. Have a wonderful cruise.:)

I love getting everyone's perspective!! And, Wendy the Wanderer, I love your review on your cruise! So, believe it or not, the excursions aren't a big deal - or the cost of them. We are not the adventurer type, we usually don't do excursions at every port. We are really looking for a relaxing experience, with good food and drink, great service, and a lovely cabin and balcony. We like watching the sunset from our balcony, spending time in the water (pool or ocean/lagoon), stunning ocean and island views, and having some privacy. I am really looking for an exotic place with stunning views for this trip. What we love about cruises is that we can usually eat when we want, we don't have to worry about where we are eating or how we're getting there, we get to see neat places but come back to the same room, we can do as much or as little as we like, and it's low-anxiety for my DH.

So, after doing more reading and talking to my DH, I think we are looking at May. I don't do well in high heat and humidity together, and I understand it can be that way in March and April. I'm hoping the sun's rays won't be quite so strong in May, as I am really fair and burn easily and tan slowly.

Please bring on any more comments!! I am leaning towards PG, but they don't offer the 11-day itinerary until the very end of May and I was hoping to avoid being there in mid-June. I will check on Regent to see if they offer one in May. I am dying to try out Regent :) as I was really sold on their experience.

Edited by RenaeInCA

The islands in Tahiti are spectacular. I believe it has been said at least once on this thread...... Tahiti is expensive. Several years ago a couple went to a restaurant and the cost of one hamburger and a Coke was $50. While it is possible to get less expensive food (don't know for sure), be prepared for the prices - no matter which cruise line you select.

Since Regent does not sail to the islands the time of the year you would like to go, you'll probably pick the Paul Gauguin. Windstar cruises also sails Tahiti in May but only have 7 night itineraries. You may want to take a look at them (I have heard very good things about Windstar). Here is a link http://www.windstarcruises.com/luxury-cruises-to-tahiti.aspx

Edited by Travelcat2

Renae, Being a confirmed sun bather (think Zonker in Doonesbury) I want to warn you about cruising in FP. The PG is definitely a wonderful ship and would be my first choice; but, it may not be for you as the availability of shade on the pool deck is minimal. As you know Regent ships have the pool surrounded by the overhang from the walking deck so a fair amount of shade is available. This is not the case on the PG and if you burn easily you may have to limit your time by the pool.

I also found doing three days at Le Tahaa blissful. Nothing compares to an over water bungalow--but yes it is expensive.

"...My husband's two cruise irks are getting up early to leave the ship in port and dressing for dinner..."

RenaeInCA - Your husband sounds like a man after my own heart! We will be going on our third Regent Cruise in June. We would never have even gone on the first cruise IF I had been compelled/required to wear a coat and tie to meals.....any meals! For men - A pair of slacks and a nice sport shirt (open collared) are perfectly acceptable for dinner on Regent - in all dining venues. Shorts and polo shirts are fine for breakfast and lunch. You will see some men (I would say no more than 50-60% tops) who prefer to wear a sports coat and/or tie to dinner. And if that's what they like, that's great. But it is absolutely NOT a requirement, or even expected on Regent. As TC says, just no shorts or jeans after 6PM out in public places, lounges, dining rooms, decks, etc. ((And I'm thinking that in the out-years, that "rule" might even be revised)).

I had to wear a uniform for the first 25 years of my working life and was "required" (if I wanted that particular job) to do the "coat and tie thing" for the last 18 "corporate" years of my working life. Those days are over. And if it was required (on Regent) well.....I'd just find some other place to spend my vacation dollars. :)

The thing that's nice about sailing on Regent is that it is "refined and luxurious" without being "snooty". In my estimation, there's just nothing better than sitting at the pool bar in the afternoon, in shorts and a polo shirt, and enjoying a few of the "all-included" adult beverages. And I think that would be particularly delightful on a Tahiti itinerary. Best Regards.

Pingpong, You and I agree on most issues. I hope, however that shorts and jeans do not make an appearance anywhere after 6p.:eek:

Bill

I've noticed that the two of you have many similarities (saying this in a good way;-). I don't think that Regent has a problem with shorts in the event evening (thankfully)

• 3 weeks later...

Late may and especially June are the least rainy months. The temperature is the same all year.

We have done it four times--mostly Windstar and then Paul Gaugain. I understand that the PG no longer requires long pants for dinner. They did when we went 4 or 5 years ago. The PG takes you to a private Motu that is worth the entire trip.

There isn't really much to "tour". All islands are very small. We got our own car the last time for Morea and Bora Bora. Lots of feral dogs, sometimes sad. Great beaches. We stayed at the over the water bungalows...unbelievable. It was great. My husband's non-alcoholic fruit drink was $18! LOL

Eating isn't a great priority to us in the islands because of the heat and humidity which you can not avoid. Bring little booties as all the beaches and water have coral.

I would prefer the PG as they are built to go in over the reef--the larger boats can not.

Just my insight. Wonderful place...I could have stayed, but then I am from Hawaii and I am accustomed to heat and humidity (except what we are experiencing here in California for the last week!)

I really need a little help before I decide to book the Tahiti 10 day cruise for Feb 2015. First off, this would be our first RSSC cruise (3 HAL, 1 X prior) and first time to Tahiti. We will be celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary, so I really want this trip to be special. Mostly I am trying to decide if we will do a resort only or the RSSC cruise with a few resort nights. Typically, we do a Caribbean cruise in the Spring, and a Hawaiian resort in the Fall/Winter. We don't usually do a lot of activities or excursions. Often times, we are fine with getting off the ship and exploring on our own and then enjoying the quiet atmosphere on board while everyone is off the ship.

I have a few questions/concerns that I hope someone can help me with:

1. On the RSSC excursions, are most of them scheduled first thing in the AM or are they paced out (i.e. 8am or Noon for a 8am to 6pm port call)?

2. Are any of you RSSC regulars the type who really just enjoy relaxing on the ship and taking a few excursions off the ship?

3. What is the evening dress on board? I can't recall off hand what the evening attire requirements are.

4. Are there a lot of kids on board? On HAL there wasn't and on X there were. In fact, on the X cruise there were three alones in the room next door that really put a damper on our enjoyment of the cruise.

I guess my fear is that between the long flight (we do live on the West Coast though) and port-intensive cruise, my DH won't find the cruise as relaxing as going to one or two Tahitian resorts.

If you can help, thanks so much!

I am on the same cruise as you mentioned ( Feb 4) as a second leg of a cruise I am taking in January, starting in Sydney. I have been on the Paul Gaugin once, and loved it. I could have changed ships, as both French Polynesian itineraries start the same day. I have never sailed on a Regent ship to this area, but have a lot of experience with the line.

This time, for the following reasons, I chose Regent since I am bringing on my adult daughters and spouses to join me on this leg. They need to come from the East Coast, unlike you who live in CA

1. Ease of travel for them, and pricing benefit to me since the trip is on me. Regent air is included from east coast gateways, on the PG, only from CA, so that was a plus for R. I always like to book my own air if possible with F&F points. We all enjoy the various choices for dining venues.

2. Excursions included, and they like excursions. You can go to PG website and see the choices and pricing. Many aRe exactly the same. The excursions are very expensive in this area. There will even be add-on charges for some that Regent offers, but that price info is not yet available. I find that most excursions on R are in the morning same as PG. You will not find any there that leave at noon, unless the ship reaches the port in late morning. Most people tend NOT to want to miss a meal, ever ;-). But some excursions include a meal. The excursions are, for the most part, very relaxing on both. Not like going on a long drive to Florence for a full day of walking on your own, or being bussed from one point to another

3. Dress code is same on both lines, unless PG now allows shorts for dinner.

4. Children not an issue in February, this is not a time of school holidays.

5. The sights and views are the same in both ships. It is going to be beautiful no matter the ship. But you will see much more by getting off the ship at least for a few hours each day, if this is your first time here. Excursions are anything BUT stressful. I often enjoy relaxing on the ship, say, when I have been to a port several times. Have enjoyed that many times with no regrets.

You will undoubtedly enjoy either cruise you choose. The one drawback to the PG is lack of shade on the open decks, OTOH, they have a marina on the back from which you can swim, and do other activities right from the ship. I know we will be there in the rainy season in February. Last time we were there in June, their dry season. Have fun as you continue to plan!

Edited by jhp

• 2 weeks later...

We usually cruise the Caribbean in Jan/Feb but after getting some promotional e mails from Regent we are considering a cruise to Tahiti .

I have read that this is the rainy season so for all of you who have cruises around this time is this correct and did it rain all the time ?

Just think it strange that Regent would have ships in an area where the weather was not at its best.

Thanks

Scotslizzy

We usually cruise the Caribbean in Jan/Feb but after getting some promotional e mails from Regent we are considering a cruise to Tahiti .

I have read that this is the rainy season so for all of you who have cruises around this time is this correct and did it rain all the time ?

Just think it strange that Regent would have ships in an area where the weather was not at its best.

Thanks

Scotslizzy

Although February is in the middle of the rainy season, there is no bad time to go to French Polynesia. It will be hotter and more humid than, say, June, and there may be tropical downpours once in a while, but in general, the weather is almost always lovely. I've never been there in February, but I have been in December and April, both during the so-called rainy season. It was hotter than other times, but we've experienced stormy weather in May/June as well.

We have sailed in February and there was some rain but not every day. There was one day when excursions were cancelled due to rain but the rest of the time the weather was lovely. Having said that, as you know, the world is having very different weather lately so past experiences in French Polynesia does not necessarily predict the future. IMO, there is no comparison between the Caribbean and Tahiti. I would go in any weather -- it is amazing!:)

I know some of you had mentioned that not all of the excursions had been listed yet. While I can't speak to Regent's February trips, the Mariner December 18 night South Pacific cruise has released the full list of excursions. If you check that date out, you should get a good idea for the excursions they'll offer later in the season.