Interior Stateroom Selection on Grand Princess cruise to Hawaii

bigenna

After mulling it over and looking at deck plans and talking to Princess, I have come to the place I trust in making a final decision - fellow cruise critic members.

I am currently booked in Plaza 239 - initially picked because it is relatively close to the Piazza area, when we need to get out of our confined space, and to the coffee bar at the IC, for DH's coffee fixes.

Now I am thinking that, as this cruise is to Hawaii after all, it would be nice to have quick and easy access to fresh air and lounging by the pool.

My observations on two available staterooms:

-Aloha 517, mid aft, good location, but under Calypso Reef and Pool. Near to stairs/elevators, but not right beside. One quick floor up to the pools.

-Lido 253, mid fwd, also near to stairs/elevator, but not right beside. Under Youth/Teen center. On same deck as pools.

I would welcome advice from any of you who have had any of these staterooms as to noise or any other issues.

Edited by bigenna

If I were to choose -- it would be A517. This is a "sideways" cabin which means a bit more room. We have used one of the 5-teen cabins on our last two cruises and were more than satisfied.

Whatever you choose, have a great cruise with calm seas and following winds.

Hi bigenna,

I was in an interior cabin on the Star (sister ship) to Hawaii on the Caribe Deck. If I could have had my choice of cabins (booked too late), I would definitely have chosen the Plaza Deck. It is just a hop, skip, and a jump to the Piazza where you will find lots of opportunities in the early morning and late evenings to have the whole place to yourself. This is one of my favorite locations on the Grand ships.

Will we be traveling together to Hawaii?

Thanks to all who responded. So we have two votes for Plaza 239 and one for Aloha 517. Have to do more thinking about this......

By the Way, we are sailing round trip from Vancouver on October 2nd.

I prefer Aloha or Lido on cruises with warm sea days; Plaza for port-intensive or cool weather cruises. I don't think you can go wrong with any of these three locations, and consider them the best inside cabin locations on the ship. I think you should ask yourself how often you'll want to be outside, as opposed to an inside public area. If you'll use the pools and hot tubs a lot, then choose one of the upper deck locations. If your idea of a perfect sea day is drinking coffee and hanging out at the IC, then definitely go with Plaza Deck.

I'm not a fan of taking an elevator from the Lido Deck when wet from a hot tub or pool visit, and you'd have to either walk through the Piazza from the mid-ship elevators or take the forward elevators to avoid doing that. So, I think I'd choose Aloha or Lido, but for that reason alone.

We prefer the Plaza deck on all Grand Class ships. It is so nice to just walk to your room without taking stairs/elevators after a long day ashore. Same thing in the evening - just walk out your room and you are in the Piazza. One word of warning on the Grand. The is no central staircase above deck 7 even though it is shown on the deck plans. There are only elevators. From Aloha 517 you would have to take the elevator to get up to the Lido deck or go all the way back to the rear stairs.

" One word of warning on the Grand. The is no central staircase above deck 7 even though it is shown on the deck plans. There are only elevators. From Aloha 517 you would have to take the elevator to get up to the Lido deck or go all the way back to the rear stairs."

mreasier, thanks for that, definitely something to consider that I would not have known about. Princess certainly did not offer that information on the phone as I was discussing the pros and cons of various cabin locations.

I have been on Aloha deck over the pools and I would not pick that room if you are a light sleeper. I am and thought there were piano races every night above me. All the deck chairs get pushed together at night and the decks scrubbed. Very noisy!!!

So, my choice would either be the Lido deck or keep the room you have now!

Hawaii is a great cruise. I am sure you will enjoy whichever room you choose!

I give a thumbs down for forward on Lido deck. It's a long walk to many things and if the sea is rough, you will feel it.

I never go forward on any of the Grand class ships. JMHO

I personally think you should stick with your Plaza cabin. Nice and quiet and not far from the action.

I've cruised the Grand several times and twice to Hawaii but I haven't taken an inside on the Grand yet. We enjoy being out on deck, watching for sea life and migrating birds when we cruise and discovered an easy access to the bow of the ship on deck 8 where there is the covered "Whale's Mouth."

There are about 8-10 inside cabins in the forward section, both port and starboard, on Emerald Deck 8. If you were to take a cabin there you would only have a few steps forward to a door that immediately gives you access to the front of the ship.

It's a great place to watch the sunrise or a sunset and a quick blast of fresh air. Put on a pair of good walking shoes and you can begin your day with a few laps around the deck. The gym and spa is just a few flights upstairs or take the lift.

The only disadvantage of being forward is the longer walk to dining but on such a long cruise, that isn't such a bad idea anyway.

We love the Plaza deck! The IC is right there and it is so nice to pop down and get coffee in the morning with your coffee card and have a muffin while your hubby is still sleeping! I am an early riser, so I would lay out my clothes in the hall and get dressed quietly, take my iPad to the IC and spend quiet mornings there till hubby got up. He always knew where to find me. Only noise was anchor dropping if we were in a tender port, otherwise super quiet!

Thanks to all who responded. So we have two votes for Plaza 239 and one for Aloha 517. Have to do more thinking about this......

By the Way, we are sailing round trip from Vancouver on October 2nd.

My vote is for Aloha!!! I love popping up to the Adults only pool and the buffet!

Spyro and dougH

Did you experience noise from loungers being dragged on deck above you like some have reported, especially in very early a.m. when decks are being scrubbed?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I give a thumbs down for forward on Lido deck. It's a long walk to many things and if the sea is rough, you will feel it.

I never go forward on any of the Grand class ships. JMHO

I personally think you should stick with your Plaza cabin. Nice and quiet and not far from the action.

I politely disagree with the idea of "thumbs down" to the Lido deck inside cabins.

I have cruised in them on several ships of the Grand class when cruising solo, and I love them for the the quietness and limited foot traffic in the corridors, the proximity to the pools/burger grill /pizza/softserve ice cream locations, as well as just a nice walk to and from the Horizon Court. The forward elevators are often the least used (except, of course, for when muster drill and show events are held in the Princess Theater), adding to the convenience of those cabins. I also love the quick access to outdoors and the upper open decks when arriving in and leaving ports.

I usually book a cabin on the starboard side in the 240s, and have not found there to be a major amount of motion when things get rocky (most likely thanks to the ship's stabilizers).

IMO, the Lido area is worthy of consideration.

Spyro and dougH

Did you experience noise from loungers being dragged on deck above you like some have reported, especially in very early a.m. when decks are being scrubbed?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I've been in this location a half dozen times and don't ever recall any noise from above.