Changes... What do you miss?

Everything changes... And Carnival is no exception. Over the last 18 years of cruising, I've seen many changes... What do you miss? What would you bring back if you could... Here is my list...

1) TICKET BOOKS - I am all for the new on-line FunPass, but... I do miss the blue ticket books you got in the mail... It was a physical sign that your cruise date was coming near...

2) REAL FORMAL NIGHTS - I miss the party in the main show lounge. The strolling the lobby just doesn't have the same effect for me... Which is why I no longer bring my tux... And of course, being cheap... lol I miss the free food and drinks at the party.

3) SHIP PLACEMATS - On the last day of the cruise, the dining staff used to hand out place mats with a picture of the ship. I have several of these framed and on the walls of my house.

4) LIVE STEEL DRUM BANDS - Need I say more?

5) SUSHI - Yes, I know they have a paid sushi place now... And I know they have generic sushi on the dinner buffet... But I miss the small, free sushi bars with a live shshi chef.

6) The old rewards system... And it's benefits. Id have been Diamond by now, instead I have a bunch more cruises to go...

How about you? What do you miss?

I most agree with bringing back past guest perks. Guaranteed dinner reservations, unlimited laundry service, complimentary slot tournament entry, and a better concierge desk at Guest Relations are some of the things that I sorely miss. When you are treated better as a newbie or with less sailings on another cruise line, you know that your loyalty on Carnival is no longer appreciated.

I don't care about the place mats. Although some people cherished them and would even frame them, I considered them junk and they'd either be left behind, or end up in the trash at home.

I love formal nights, but not on Carnival. Each cruise line has its own personality and Carnival's is as far as formal as you can get. So for me, it makes no sense to dress up on this cruise line. On other cruise lines I've sailed on, like Holland America, formal nights make perfect sense. Formal means formal and everybody abides by it. And nobody runs back to their cabin to change clothes to their sweat pants and t-shirts after dinner is over.

Loved the feeling of getting those paper documents in the mail. I still have the last paper documents I ever received from our cruise on the Liberty. However, I know that times have changed and I really like now the paperless way to travel. So even though paper documents are nostalgic, I don't necessarily want them back.

I used to say that I didn't care for the steel drum bands, but after sailing on Royal Caribbean this summer, and enjoying a live music band right by the pool, I realized how much I miss them and how their absence has really changed the feel of the pool deck on Carnival ships. Watching Justin Bieber videos on the big screen is just not the same. :o

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I think that - after the dumbing down of the past guest perks- the thing I miss most is the dumbing down of the entertainment. Putting a something such as the love and marriage show or the Hasbro game show as a "headline" show in the main showroom bugs me.

I think that - after the dumbing down of the past guest perks- the thing I miss most is the dumbing down of the entertainment. Putting a something such as the love and marriage show or the Hasbro game show as a "headline" show in the main showroom bugs me.

I very much agree. The bulk of the entertainment shouldn't be guests onstage.

I feel IMHO they have dumbed down the quality of the entertainers as well. It would help if the lead singers in the 20 min Playlist Production, which I don't care for, could stay on key. It would also help if the performer in the Piano Bar could play and sing.

Also, how neat would it be to sit in a lounge and mingle with a Carnival Live performer after a show and don't you have to pay extra to go to one of the shows?

Everyone has their own expectations on a cruise and sometimes they are lived up to and other times not. I still enjoy the product I am just a little more picky about how I am entertained.

Totally agree. Do not understand why anyone would think that Hasbro is suitable evening entertainment for adults.

I remember when at one time, you were welcomed on board the ship, with the ships officers. Now, you are welcomed on board with a guy holding a camera in your face and holding up the line. Now it's "Welcome onboard, squeeze together, and smile"

Honestly, the Carnival Ships turned into the Walmart of the Seas over several years, and have dug themselves into a deep hole. I would like them to charge more money, and bring back entertainment, better food choices (not hamburger stands), show better appreciation for repeat guests. Instead it's welcome back, come to this line if you paid $50.00 and get on faster. Be sure to check out the photo booth.

Most of all is the intimacy of the "smaller" ships, which were once huge. Small enough to have at least facial recognition of the fellow guests, and all the activities orchestrated by the omnipresent Cruise Director.

Followed by the quality entertainment and food/food offerings.

I miss the Real Baked Alaska on the last evening, when the servers would march in with them and then serve to each person. (real whipped cream) not a slice of cake with fruit over it. Now they don't even have it at all.

dot

PS also chairs on the promenade deck to just sit and look at the water on sea days

Edited by dotheyes

We went to lunch on Queen Mary 2 (thanks Cruise Critic!) yesterday and there were quite a few things that we noticed that Carnival no longer does mostly in the dining room.

Crumb sweeping between courses, free standing wine buckets, sommelier, etc.

Ticket books

Table side dining (bananas foster, anyone!?)

Before I get flamed for comparing Carnival to Cunard, I'm well aware that they have two separate business models and customer bases, but these are little things that were available on Carnival less than a decade ago when I started cruising.

I miss most of what others have posted.

To add another item - the Farewell Party that they didn't advertise except I think on the 1st day and cancelled because they didn't have a good enough turnout.

We'll be experiencing the Playlist Productions for the 1st time. I'll go with an open mind, but I'm sure I'll miss the Broadway type production shows.

I miss most of what others have posted.

To add another item - the Farewell Party that they didn't advertise except I think on the 1st day and cancelled because they didn't have a good enough turnout.

We'll be experiencing the Playlist Productions for the 1st time. I'll go with an open mind, but I'm sure I'll miss the Broadway type production shows.

Surely, you must understand. If it wasn't for a lack of participation, the Fun Farewell party would still be here.

I do miss "some" of the entertainment. The production shows were not my favorites. Some were OK but many were not very well done. It also costs "a lot" to bring a show from conception to presentation. It can be well over $2,000,000. I would love to see more singers and comedy acts in the main showroom.

I do not miss the steel drum bands. They became annoying. I would love to have a live band on the pool deck that plays a variety of music. Even Jimmy Buffet gets old after a couple of hours. ;) I do wish they would "turn down" the volume on the pool deck. Sometimes it's so loud you can't have a conversation and I'm a child of the 60's who doesn't mind loud music.

I don't miss the chairs on the Promenade. I rarely saw them used. I really don't miss formal nights on Carnival. I do wish that more folks would dress a little better on Elegant Night but I'm glad the tuxedo and gown are a thing of the past.

I also don't miss traditional dining. It got to the point that the regimentation almost ended my cruising. Having to go to dinner at a specific time or you were relegated to the buffet was not something I cared for. Or, if you weren't going to be at dinner you had to tell your tablemates, call the maitre 'd and send out a signal flare so you wouldn't slow down other people's meal while they are waiting for you.

There have been good changes. The comedy shows are better. The food variety is better. The dining room menu isn't as good and service isn't "the same" but I still think Carnival is the best bang for your buck of all cruise lines and provides the most "fun" cruise of any cruise line.

Take care,

Mike

Edited by MMastell

Midnight buffet.

Decent food and whole milk at the buffet.

Cream, not half and half, at the bars for mixed drinks. A watery Brandy Alexander is NOT a thing of joy.

Professional entertainment.

My fiancé ordered a brandy Alexander at the steakhouse on the glory, and they made some gross minty grasshopper type drink. He's a beverage manager at a convention center...he was both appalled and humored that he had to teach them lol

a lot of good ones on here!:) I miss the rum swizzle party on the first day of the cruise!!:)

The Rum Swizzle Party was great! I remember that on my very first cruise on the Sensation back in 1997 (I think). Great way to kick off your week of vacation!

I do miss the excitement of getting the ticket booklet in the mail!

I miss the old dining room wait staff concept...prior to going to a team of three waiters handling more tables. When we just had our assistant waiter and head waiter, we always got the best service.

I miss actual free upgrades! Years ago on the Fantasy, we had booked an oceanview and we got upgraded for free to the Grand Suite!

Misty

Everything changes... And Carnival is no exception. Over the last 18 years of cruising, I've seen many changes... What do you miss? What would you bring back if you could... Here is my list...

1) TICKET BOOKS - I am all for the new on-line FunPass, but... I do miss the blue ticket books you got in the mail... It was a physical sign that your cruise date was coming near...

2) REAL FORMAL NIGHTS - I miss the party in the main show lounge. The strolling the lobby just doesn't have the same effect for me... Which is why I no longer bring my tux... And of course, being cheap... lol I miss the free food and drinks at the party.

3) SHIP PLACEMATS - On the last day of the cruise, the dining staff used to hand out place mats with a picture of the ship. I have several of these framed and on the walls of my house.

4) LIVE STEEL DRUM BANDS - Need I say more?

5) SUSHI - Yes, I know they have a paid sushi place now... And I know they have generic sushi on the dinner buffet... But I miss the small, free sushi bars with a live shshi chef.

6) The old rewards system... And it's benefits. Id have been Diamond by now, instead I have a bunch more cruises to go...

How about you? What do you miss?

I do not miss the caribbean music for one second. The only thing i kind of miss but do not see it as a cutback. I miss the piano in the atrium lobby. I remeber my first cruise way back when. And the piano player welcoming us in the atrium as we stepped on board is my first memory aboard a carnival ship.