Is the coffee really that bad

Weeziblu

Is it that bad?

Well, this is just my own personal experience. I drink 1 cup everyday. Normally I drink cheap, walmart brand instant coffee. My wife drinks the Kurig stuff, flavored.

On our cruise, I tried the coffee ONCE, and even now, when I think of the taste, I get sick to my gut. My wife drank 1 to 2 cups every day.

Guess I'm saying it depends on the person. But I do know I'm packing plenty of flavored creamer for the next one.

Depends. I know some people are very fussy about their coffee. (friend of mine has to have his Starbucks and his wife needs her Dunkin' Donuts - he says theirs is a mixed marriage :p )

The hubs and I don't really care, as long as we get our morning caffeine. Then again, we both sweeten and cream. If we drank it black, I suppose it would be a different story.

Carnival uses ground coffee in the buffet. It's in the canister on top.

Problem is it sits forever in the large urns. According to the coffee drinkers in the family it's not too bad when fresh.

It's better than Princess' syrup concentrated stuff.

There are no coffee makers in the cabins. The coffee on the Lido isn't that bad. I like a nice medium roast and it tastes just about right. If you like something more assertive there is a Starbucks-style coffee bar on board, (pay-for). I normally drink Keurig Donut Shop Coffee black, if that helps. :)

I suppose YMMV, but on our recent Sunshine cruise, the coffee was one of the very few criticisms I had. Absolutely terrible. It never seemed fresh and was very strong and bitter, no matter how much cream and sugar I added. The breakfast buffet coffee was tied for worst with the MDR after dinner coffee.

Am I generally picky about the java? No. Did it ruin my cruise? Heck, no! Had a fabulous time :-)

Curiously, the coffee at the Dr Suess breakfast was better, but still just tolerable and the best I had came from room service.

Hopefully this was an isolated experience, because I don't remember the coffee being bad on Sensation a few years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In November while on the Freedom, I thought the Lido coffee was greatly improved since my previous cruise four years ago. I normally find though that room service coffee and dining room coffee is even better, though this last cruise I only drank a cup or two in the morning with breakfast. I am actually in the minority who dislikes the pay for coffee at the coffee shop. It is dark roast and I dislike that. I prefer a medium roast coffee and that is what the lido coffee tasted like to me. I dont believe they will let you bring on your own coffee maker for safety reasons.

There was a change in the brand of coffee a couple of years ago in a response to complaints, and I think it's a little bit better now. It's still not very good, though, IMO. I drink it because I need a little bit every morning to get my day started, LOL. I use plenty of creamer in it, and it is just tolerable. I find it has an after-taste that is not pleasant. Once in a while, I'll keep a pretty decent cup, so I think it does have to do with how fresh it is--hard to tell when it's in those urns whether it's been sitting for too long.

For comparison purposes, I was just on Oasis a month ago, and, after hearing about how bad their coffee was, I was surprised to find it was not bad at all. I actually enjoyed it. I hear RCI's brand is Seattle's Best, but I couldn't swear to it. I just know it was much better than what Carnival serves as far as I'm concerned. At home, I drink either Donut Shop in my Keurig or a breakfast blend or just Folger's French roast from my old Mr. Coffee, so nothing fancy. I like Coffee Mate (just the original powder stuff), so I may take some of that with me for our Breeze cruise this summer ;)

I drink my coffee black. I started drinking it in the military, so I know what some nasty, strong coffee tastes like. I prefer a medium roast. I find their coffee to be an average flavor. It's not the best I've ever had but.... it is FAR from the worst. I think that nowadays many people get used to the brand of coffee and just don't want to accept anything else. My opinion though. Hope all goes well for you on your cruise. :cool:

I am pretty sure that you cannot bring electric coffee makers, maybe a french press.

We have a very fancy, grind by the cup espresso machine at home so I am spoiled. I like starbucks but I also like dunkin donuts and McDonalds coffee.

We I went on the Legend in 2008, I found the coffee undrinkable except in the dining room so I bought the "for pay" coffee.

On the dream in 2013, it seemed greatly improved. I typically am drinking room service or dining room coffee.

As another post pointed out, there are no coffee makers in the cabins. And you cannot bring your own - electrical appliances like irons and coffee pots aren't allowed because of the risk of fire.

If you're picky about your coffee, the pay-extra coffee bar does a pretty good job at prices that are lower than Starbucks on land. The coffee in the beverage stations does vary some, probably depending on how fresh it is - I've noticed it's better at breakfast when lots of folks are likely to be drinking it. To me, it's never horrible but really only OK. The coffee in the MDR is a little better.

There aren't coffee pots in the cabins, although you can get room service.

I have always thought it was perfectly fine, but to each their own.

Its been a long time.... I'd forgotten there are no coffee pots in the cabins! I was thinking there were pots and I could bring coffee from home to brew depending on the type of pot. :rolleyes:

I don't remember hating the coffee on my last Carnival cruise and most recently, I've sailed NCL and while the coffee isn't as good as it is at say... Dunkin Donuts or Starbucks, it was good enough for my morning caffeine.

I'm sure I'll survive a cruise with average coffee. ;)