Passport Control, Security and Customs Procedure

Cruiserobin

I am back with another question-everyone was very helpful with my earlier question.

I am making a procedure list for myself and friends who are traveling with us. None of us flies often enough to remember the process for going through passport control, security, etc.

We are flying 9/24 Charlotte to Hamburg in 2 weeks-Delta Business Class ( one ticket) and return from Lisbon to Charlotte on 10/7. Would someone confirm I have all this straight (in the proper order)?

9/23 Check in online with Delta the day before flight

9/24 Check in: CLT Airport

Check bags at Delta desk (have passport and boarding pass)

Security screening

1st flight CLT to ATL (DL 709 9:30am)

Arrival: Atlanta Airport

Layover in ATL: 4hrs 25 mins

No passport control, security, etc

2nd flight ATL to AMS (DL 604 3:12pm)

9/25 Arrival: AMS airport (entering Schengen area)

Layover in AMS: 1 hr 20 mins

Head toward Schengen area of airport

Passport Control-use short connect line if needed

Security screening

Access to KLM lounge for light breakfast if first flight on time

Note: Thanks to Flyer Talker for earlier providing the information above for this connection

3rd flight AMS to HAM (DL 9561 operated by KLM 7:15am)

Arrival: HAM Airport

Baggage Claim

Customs-Nothing to Declare

WEW! Hope I got all that correct. And I hope this wasn't too much information.

Now for the return flights.

10/6 Check in online with Delta the day before flight

10/7 Check In: LIS Airport

Check bags at Air Europa desk (have passport and boarding pass)

Will receive seat assignments for this flight at that time

Security screening

1st flight LIS to MAD (DL 6738 operated by Air Europa 7:25am)

Arrival: MAD Airport

Passport Control???- I am not sure what happens at this airport (departing Schengen area)

2nd flight MAD TO ATL (DL 109 11:00 am)

Arrival: ATL Airport

Layover: 2 hrs 48 mins

Immigration/Passport Control

Baggage Claim

Customs (nothing to declare)

Recheck bags

3rd flight is ATL to CLT (DL 2087 5:4pm)

Arrival: CLT Airport

Baggage Claim

I apologize for the length. I have never had 3 flights in a row so I was afraid I wouldn't know what to do. Thanks to all who even read this thread.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

At ATL, you'll also have to re-clear security before you can go to your gate for your CLT flight.

At MAD, I'm not sure. I had to show my passport, and when we arrived at the gate, had to go through security all over again, which included taking everything out of our carry ons. Not sure if this was standard or just something they were doing that day.

You will do passport control at MAD before boarding your flight to the US.

Haven't gone through MAD before, but all my other connections through Schengen out to the US involved passport control and the security show.

Yep, in ATL, you have to do TSA nonsense again after going through passport control/Customs/baggage re-check.

They will check your passport against your ticket a final time in the gate area at ATL and verify that your passport is valid for at least six months, then put a little stamp on your boarding pass.

Generally they walk around and come to you. If they are getting ready to board and no one has checked you yet, flag them down or go to them, you won't be allowed to board without the little stamp on your boarding pass.

Thank you, everybody, for explaining all these procedures. I have added all your comments to my little (or not so little anymore) cheat sheet!

One more question regarding our online check-in for our first return flight operated by Air Europa. So, we don't do online check-in the day before with Delta? Will we do our online check-in with Air Europa? We only have Delta confirmation numbers-do we need to get a separate confirmation number for Air Europa? Will they give us boarding passes for the other two Delta return flights?

Oops, that turned out to be definitely more than one question.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You really don't need to do online check in before since you will be checking bags. One thing I would remind you of is to bring a hard copy of your itinerary with you. There are sometimes "line guards" who won't let you join the biz/first class check in line without confirming that you are on a biz/first ticket. (This is at the check in desk where you would receive your boarding pass)

AMS is a big airport and you likely will not have time to stop at the lounge, which is a bit of a shame. Some of the AMS-HAM flights are on city hopper which goes out of the small regional gates and they are a decent distance from the International arrivals area, so plan on a trek to the gate.

A couple of things.....

Air Europa is a Sky Team partner and should be able to provide your boarding passes when you check in at the 24 hour mark especially if you are booked on one ticket covering your airlines and flights. (I can't remember but Air Europa may open check in at the 30 hour mark - you can get that information on their web site.) If they cannot do the Delta passes you can always check in for those flights separately at the 24 hour mark.

The first thing after you make the long walk back in ATL will be a passport check via a kiosk. There will be plenty of people to assist you from the deplaning through the corridors and into C & I. Don't let that part of the process bother you at all unless you are late. If there is any chance you might miss your connection there is a Delta help desk right there.

A couple of things.....

Air Europa is a Sky Team partner and should be able to provide your boarding passes when you check in at the 24 hour mark especially if you are booked on one ticket covering your airlines and flights. (I can't remember but Air Europa may open check in at the 30 hour mark - you can get that information on their web site.) If they cannot do the Delta passes you can always check in for those flights separately at the 24 hour mark.

The first thing after you make the long walk back in ATL will be a passport check via a kiosk. There will be plenty of people to assist you from the deplaning through the corridors and into C & I. Don't let that part of the process bother you at all unless you are late. If there is any chance you might miss your connection there is a Delta help desk right there.

Passport check via kiosk???? If you have Global entry yes...if not you will be standing in line with everybody else.

Passport check via kiosk???? If you have Global entry yes...if not you will be standing in line with everybody else.

Some US airport entry portals are getting new kiosks that any US citizen can use. Slightly different than the GE kiosks. I believe they are called APC . You can search for them on line if you want to find more info on it.

Some US airport entry portals are getting new kiosks that any US citizen can use. Slightly different than the GE kiosks. I believe they are called APC . You can search for them on line if you want to find more info on it.

The ones in Vancouver and Seattle for US customs are available for both Canadian and US passport holders. No need for Nexus. I would assume it is similar at other destinations. With the kiosks they also drop the need to complete those blue cards.

A couple of small points.

1) At your initial bag check at CLT, the agent will want your passport and will re-issue you boarding passes. The one from ATL will have in bold letters "DOCS OK". You will need that to board in ATL. Doing it in CLT saves the process at ATL. The Docs OK indicates that the passport info is entered in the system and has been confirmed by a DL agent.

2) You will still need passport at gate in ATL.

3) You have full access to all DL SkyClubs, including all 8 in ATL.

4) Look for the KLM Crown Lounge numbered #25 in the Schengen side at Schiphol.

5) You have access to the contract lounges in LIS as well as MAD. The Air Europa agents can give you information (and you can also use the "Lounge Finder" at the Skyteam website).

6) You will have the outbound Schengen immigration at MAD before you reach the gate area.

7) Again, you get SkyClub access in ATL on the return.

Have fun!!