Piano Bar?

tpmartin

Unfortunately, there is no piano bar. :(

Celebrity USED to have (at least sometimes) a piano bar on M Class ships in Michael's Club. It was an almost perfectly sized venue with a great relaxed, comfortable atmosphere, with fun music and fun entertainers.

The only remnant on Celebrity, is Perry Grant on one S Class ship. :o

I (and a LOT of other people!) have thoroughly enjoyed the piano bars on NCL, Carnival and Princess ships, along with Perry on X. There were large groups every night.

It's a sad statement that Celebrity is so into their own ridiculous schlock of "Modern Luxury" that they (and their passengers) are missing this great opportunity.

BUT... not to worry! You and your wife can learn how to be "Scratch DJs" playing rap and hiphop! :rolleyes:

Edited by teecee60

I (and a LOT of other people!) have thoroughly enjoyed the piano bars on NCL, Carnival and Princess ships, along with Perry on X. There were large groups every night.

Some of the most enjoyable evenings we've spent aboard a ship were in the NCL Gem's piano bar listening to Laurie Anne Gardner. She is so talented and so entertaining that after we discovered her, we pretty much went back every night to catch one of her sets. She made a comment one evening that Celebrity would never hire her, that they were getting rid of piano bars; it's quite a shame, because a good piano bar entertainer is a lot of fun.

The wife and I enjoy a good evening around a piano, we are booked on the Silhouette in April and was wondering if there is any piano music.

Thanks

Tom

We were very disappointed that we could not enjoy a piano bar on the Equinox on our Med cruise in May.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

unfortunately, there is no piano bar. :(

celebrity used to have (at least sometimes) a piano bar on m class ships in michael's club. It was an almost perfectly sized venue with a great relaxed, comfortable atmosphere, with fun music and fun entertainers.

The only remnant on celebrity, is perry grant on one s class ship. :o

i (and a lot of other people!) have thoroughly enjoyed the piano bars on ncl, carnival and princess ships, along with perry on x. There were large groups every night.

It's a sad statement that celebrity is so into their own ridiculous schlock of "modern luxury" that they (and their passengers) are missing this great opportunity.

But... Not to worry! You and your wife can learn how to be "scratch djs" playing rap and hiphop! :rolleyes:

like!

Thanks for all the responses, how sad there is no piano music on the ships.

We always made a lot of new friends in the venue where the piano player was on many ships.

I guess for my 50th birthday I'm going to become a scratch DJ, figure that is something the Carnival ships would offer not Celebrity.

I guess for my 50th birthday I'm going to become a scratch DJ, figure that is something the Carnival ships would offer not Celebrity.

Yup! But apparently, THAT is "MODERN LUXURY." :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the responses, how sad there is no piano music on the ships.

We always made a lot of new friends in the venue where the piano player was on many ships.

Well, think of it like this; how many of your friends back home got to become scratch Dj's on their birthday? Not many I think! You will be the talk of the town!!:D

Seriously, at our age (also soon to be 50) we were in high school when the god fathers of rap were around, Run DMC, Beastie Boys, etc. Its not foreign to us! That doesn't mean that we don't enjoy some relaxing piano music after a great dinner while taking our 'Modern Luxury' vacation!

Well, think of it like this; how many of your friends back home got to become scratch Dj's on their birthday? Not many I think! You will be the talk of the town!!:D

Seriously, at our age (also soon to be 50) we were in high school when the god fathers of rap were around, Run DMC, Beastie Boys, etc. Its not foreign to us! That doesn't mean that we don't enjoy some relaxing piano music after a great dinner while taking our 'Modern Luxury' vacation!

I guess I'm going to have to download some piano music onto my ipod, take my bose speakers with me and set them up in a lounge so I can enjoy some piano music while drinking some of those great Martinis on the ship. :)

My two teens are most disappointed that there will be no piano bar - both play and both enjoy someone else playing.

However if I learn to be a scratch Dj - can I wear my cap backwards?

I also greatly miss Michael's Club (don't get me started on that:)), but have often heard piano music in other locations aboard Celebrity ships. The lounge right outside of Michael's on S class (can't recall the name) has had some piano music some nights on any cruise I have been on. I also have heard piano outside Al Bacio, and in the central foyer as well. I just think it is more iffy than it used to be when Michael's was available to everyone.

I agree:)....I was on 2 different cruises with Jordan....

Fantastic:D

I think Celebrity is missing a big opportunity by not having a piano bar on each of their ships. Any ship that I've been on that had a piano bar and a great pianist like Jordan always had lots of people sitting around, and most of them were buying beverages.

I was with Lois on a Century B2B in February and any time that Jordan was playing, the Cova tables were full.

Jordan has a great repertoire and seemed to be able to play almost anything that was asked of him,

He is a great pianist..

and is often featured in the theatre:

Great music? That's modern luxury for me. :)

Edited by elena7seas

We are somewhat confused (DW says that is normal) and puzzled about why X has pretty much eliminated Piano Bar formats. On a few of our S Class ships they have provided a solo guitar player/singer which was fine. But a Piano bar format is more versatile and really does not cost the cruise line any more then hiring a guitar player. A decent Piano Bar player/singer can attract a decent crowd who buys drinks. Perry Grant sure packs em in...although we do not consider him a Piano Bar entertainer in the classic way...as Perry is ,,,,,,well Perry is just Perry.

Hank

I think Celebrity is missing a big opportunity by not having a piano bar on each of their ships. Any ship that I've been on that had a piano bar and a great pianist like Jordan always had lots of people sitting around, and most of them were buying beverages.

I was with Lois on a Century B2B in February and any time that Jordan was playing, the Cova tables were full.

Jordan has a great repertoire and seemed to be able to play almost anything that was asked of him,

He is a great pianist..

and is often featured in the theatre:

Great music? That's modern luxury for me. :)

Thanks for the nice comments about our son, Jordan.

I agree with the comments that Celebrity should keep the piano bars. When we were on the Century to Panama Canal in December/January, Michael's Club was packed EVERY night when Jordan was playing. A lot of people really like that kind of intimate space for good music.

We were on the Infinity in 2011 and the Eclipse in 2012, when Michael's Pub was still an upscale pub. Unfortunately it was not a piano bar. On the Eclipse the pianist tried to get people going by playing more up tempo numbers such as The Proclaimers 500 Miles, and people quietly sang along, more or less. The problem is Michael's Pub posh British Gentlemen's Club atmosphere didn't lend itself to "belt-it-out" piano bar singing.

When we sailed Carnival, their piano bars were extremely popular and attracted a fairly wide range of ages. If Celebrity is trying to get younger passengers, this is worth considering. How fun are they? On the last night of a Carnival ship (either the Miracle or the Freedom) DW said our good nights at about 1:15 a.m. and the atmosphere was still lively. Next morning I saw someone in our departure area who had been there and I asked her how late it went. At 2 a.m. there was still a large lively group who were prepare to continue. Unfortunately some guests complained about the noise and security shut them down. For those who want to continue after the dance clubs close, but aren't wanting to be scratch record DJs, I would think the piano bars would be ideal.

I agree. A piano bar is such a nice to meet up with other passengers and be able to converse quietly and not have to yell over loud music. On cruises years ago that was where we spent most of our evenings. Hope you are paying attention Celebrity!