imitate a fan?

periatza34

Our first time on a cruise ship. My wife normally takes a box fan wherever we go to drown out the noise of my snoring :) Trying to find ideas to make a little white noise for her. I won't use any snore relief stuff so that won't work. Let me hear them. Thanks.

A box fan is too big, but a small desk fan might work. There are also apps that make "white noise" if noise is the only thing she needs. Personally, I need the airflow from a fan...I don't care about noise!

You can also turn the tv to a "non" station, and let the static crackle!

My honey got me a Conair noise machine for our traveling.

I too use a fan. and the noise machine works wonders. Took me a few tries to get it just right-- it makes 10 different noises-- then the loudness...

perfect

http://www.sears.com/conair-su1w-silver-sound-therapy-unit-074108147950/p-SPM6529786901?hlSellerId=16742&sid=IDx20110310x00001i&kpid=SPM7755770328&kispla=SPM7755770328

We have a battery powered travel clock/sound machine that we carry everywhere. Do a search on Amazon or any other shopping site. Ours is by "Sound Oasis" and is great but a little expensive at around $85. We've had it for several years now and love it. There are cheaper models but they don't necessarily get good reviews. Foam earplugs may also help; some people say they don't help, but my guess is that they aren't inserting them correctly or are using ones that are too small for their ear canal - try different brands.

Edited by Kartgv

My honey got me a Conair noise machine for our traveling.

I too use a fan. and the noise machine works wonders. Took me a few tries to get it just right-- it makes 10 different noises-- then the loudness...

perfect

http://www.sears.com/conair-su1w-silver-sound-therapy-unit-074108147950/p-SPM6529786901?hlSellerId=16742&sid=IDx20110310x00001i&kpid=SPM7755770328&kispla=SPM7755770328

I would recommend any kind of sound machine. My husband is a snorer and I set the thing to automatically turn off after an hour and I'm usually hard asleep to the point that it takes a real window-rattling snort to wake me up all the way. If you have a balcony room you can have the door partially opened and the sea/ocean/etc will make the equivalent noise but you may also hear your adjacent neighbors cutting up.

If you have an iPhone there are some really nice "sound machine" apps. I'll list the few I have on my phone:

Sleep Pillow Sounds (free)

Sleep Machine Lite (free)

Free Bed Time Fan (free - white noise)

White Noise Ambience Lite (free)

Um, did I mention my husband snores worse than a freight train on its last leg? And loud. Let's not forget loud. His mother was the same way. OMG. I wouldn't know how to survive without my sound machine and white noise creators. LOL

Edited by mamkmm2

For many years I have used ear buds connected to MP3 Player playing continuous loop of brown noise downloaded from internet. Charged player goes all night. Even if partner is having a quiet night this has become a soothing sound that helps me fall asleep. Much smaller than any fan. Have used it for motorhome trips all over Europe and sleeping in strange hotels with distracting noise.

The first thing you want to do is ask for two beds! 2nd get a noise machine or download a good app on your phone to use. Earplugs should always be on your list anyway for outside noise or sometimes the cabins may creak/expand if the seas are rough.

The first thing you want to do is ask for two beds! 2nd get a noise machine or download a good app on your phone to use. Earplugs should always be on your list anyway for outside noise or sometimes the cabins may creak/expand if the seas are rough.

Excellent suggestion for a "white noise" app if that will help!

Edited by grillinchillin

Our first time on a cruise ship. My wife normally takes a box fan wherever we go to drown out the noise of my snoring :) Trying to find ideas to make a little white noise for her. I won't use any snore relief stuff so that won't work. Let me hear them. Thanks.

Balcony. That is my wife's suggestion for me when I snore. Do note that it is easy to lock yourself out...

Your attitude is not exactly charitable (or healthy), but for your wife's well-being -- call NCL and see if they can provide a fan in your room. HAL does this, but call well in advance. Also that way if they don't provide the service you can see about some of the other suggestions supplied here.

HOWEVER -- do not leave your balcony door open, for extended periods, ever. It will mess up the air-conditioning (room temp) for a whole sector of the ship.

I would recommend any kind of sound machine. My husband is a snorer and I set the thing to automatically turn off after an hour and I'm usually hard asleep to the point that it takes a real window-rattling snort to wake me up all the way. If you have a balcony room you can have the door partially opened and the sea/ocean/etc will make the equivalent noise but you may also hear your adjacent neighbors cutting up.

s. LOL

If you leave the balcony open, you will mess up the air conditioning for a whole bunch of rooms on both sides of you. I am sure that they will appreciate that.

DON

Well, if you "won't" (as opposed to "can't") use any snore relief stuff, invest in a good quality pair of earplugs for your wife. I'd also suggest a trip to your doctor to see if, as someone else suggested, there is some underlying cause for the snoring. It can be s symptom of something more serious.

Or you could reward your wife for her suffering by staying home and letting her have a snore-free holiday! :)

If you leave the balcony open, you will mess up the air conditioning for a whole bunch of rooms on both sides of you. I am sure that they will appreciate that.

DON

Being from Florida the last thing I would do is leave the AC running while a door or window is open. Why on earth would you be so snarky as to assume I would.

Being from Florida the last thing I would do is leave the AC running while a door or window is open. Why on earth would you be so snarky as to assume I would.

Maybe for the hundred other non-Floridians reading the thread?

There was no snark. Just reminder for ANYONE reading.

It really doesn't matter whether you leave your AC "on" or not; if you leave the door open, you will still be introducing warm humid air into the system to the detriment of those in cabins around yours.

I have a white noise machine. It is a Dohm model (Search Amazon for white noise machine). It is around $50 and worth EVERY penny. Be warned - you will never want to sleep without it again. It actually works with a fan inside and is far superior (IMO) to any phone app which reproduces the sound electronically. It is electric and I took along a power strip and extension cord to take care of all the electronics at night. (I put everything away in the morning).

Well, if you "won't" (as opposed to "can't") use any snore relief stuff, invest in a good quality pair of earplugs for your wife. I'd also suggest a trip to your doctor to see if, as someone else suggested, there is some underlying cause for the snoring. It can be s symptom of something more serious.

Or you could reward your wife for her suffering by staying home and letting her have a snore-free holiday! :)

I have tried using the snore relief stuff. None of it works or it's very uncomfortable. I probably should go and do a sleep study but that really wasn't the question at hand. The fan has become more of a sleep aid for her. She went on a girls weekend and had to take the fan with her. So thank you all for the suggestions. I will probably invest in a white noise machine as ear plugs are probably not her cup of tea. And as for my "attitude" from one poster, at least I am taking the time and effort to find a way to help her so that we both can be comfortable.

My husband is a terrible snorer plus I work nights and need to drown out daytime noises. I have an air purifier just for the sound effects but I also use the relax melodies app on my iPad set to the white sound, fan and one other sound combo. I place the iPad at head of bed and it helps me sleep so much better since it drowns out the noise. It's a lifesaver on trips since we don't take the air purifier.

Sleeping pill like Lunesta or a couple benedryl - not addicting but knocks you out when travelling.

Flints green comfort shape ear plugs 33NRR rating - i get mine at amazon

Sound app - sometimes I wear my very small earbuds with this instead of earplugs if he's really on one that night!

all three of those will have you well rested I think. works for me!

• 2 weeks later...

Sound app - sometimes I wear my very small earbuds with this instead of earplugs if he's really on one that night!

This is what I've done for years. I found an mp3 file from purewhitenoise.com called "Calming Electric Fan" and downloaded it a small inexpensive mp3 player that plays continuously on repeat. Put in earbuds and I'm good to go. It's the only way I can sleep anymore.