Formal night mission creep

Mom and I are cruising Alaska on the HAL Noordam later this summer. I planned, bought, and paid for my formal (or gala or fancy, whatever the term is today) outfit months ago. So what's the problem? I keep seeing cocktail dresses, lacy blouses, all manner of pretty things and thinking, "Wow, that would be good for formal night."

I'm having trouble resisting another purchase. But I told myself only one outfit for two formal nights because I have no need for these clothes in the rest of my life. They are too fancy for my church. I don't go to charity balls.

Do any of the rest of you have trouble sticking to a limit on the fancy clothes?

Thanks.

Vicki

Vicki .... If you have no place to wear these things except on a cruise and you don't plan to cruise frequently, I would not buy them.

Even on Holland America the dress is not nearly as formal as it once was. ;)

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

Two years ago, I came across an Alex Evenings Twinset for around thirty dollars and was super excited because it was 75% off and a steal. I bought it and have yet to wear it because a) I couldn't find the right palazzo pants to go with it. Finally did this year. Yayyy and b) Apart from cruising, I don't dress up that much. I would say if you plan on cruising, there is no harm in keeping a small cruise wardrobe, especially if you can get some great deals. On the other hand, if you don't cruise that much, I would avoid them.

I have a number of what we used to call formal and semi formal clothes purchased for my World Voyage on Cunard. I never go anywhere I can wear these other than cruises. But what do I look at first when I go into a store? Yes, that's right - the formal clothes! I usually don't buy but if there is a really good deal....:o

I wish I had that problem. I never find clothes I like or that I think look good on me. (I hate to shop and my local mall is 110 miles from my house)

I would say that is your excuse to go on more cruises!

How formal is the outfit you have already bought? Evening gown? Although I too would not have anywhere to wear an evening gown in my real life, I sometimes have occasion to wear a cocktail dress. Evening wedding, professional theatre or concert production, holiday party, trip to Vegas or another city where people tend to dress up more. If you see a gorgeous cocktail dress and it doesn't break your budget and looks great on you, why not get it and have another option for the cruise as well as any future cruise or special occasion at home?

Hi. Thanks, everyone, for your responses. To answer CentralCaliCruzer's question, my current outfit is not a gown. I have a black Chanel-style jacket trimmed at the neck, placket, cuffs, and maybe pockets with a double row of white pearls. I plan to wear it with a white or black shell and black crepe slacks. I was headed for orthopedic oxfords but after a six month search found some strappy black sandals that fit my post-surgical feet.

The blouse I'm coveting is on sale at Nordstrom. It is Alex Evenings, white lace, cap sleeve, princess seams, black ribbon belt. It could go with the same slacks. I am plus size so I keep the shapes pretty simple.

I've lost 30 pounds since I bought the jacket and hope to lose more between Alaska and a Caribbean cruise this fall. Thus the hesitation to build a wardrobe. On the other hand, I'll have some lovely things to rehome on this board in a few months.

Thanks.

Vicki

Aunt Joy, your jacket sounds wonderful. I would love to have that myself. Honestly in this day and age, you could pair that with blue or black jeans for everyday trips to the grocery store. You could do all kinds of things with that jacket, plus it is a timeless, classic design and you can wear that for years.

Mom and I are cruising Alaska on the HAL Noordam later this summer. I planned, bought, and paid for my formal (or gala or fancy, whatever the term is today) outfit months ago. So what's the problem? I keep seeing cocktail dresses, lacy blouses, all manner of pretty things and thinking, "Wow, that would be good for formal night."

I'm having trouble resisting another purchase. But I told myself only one outfit for two formal nights because I have no need for these clothes in the rest of my life. They are too fancy for my church. I don't go to charity balls.

Do any of the rest of you have trouble sticking to a limit on the fancy clothes?

Thanks.

Vicki

DW says a cruise is a great excuse for some new glad rags, new shoes and new hand bags.

But then she doesn't need much of an excuse.

I feel your pain, I've lost all control. I was starting to pull things our of the closet yesterday for our upcoming cruise (we leave Tuesday on the Queen Mary) and thought to myself, you've lost all control. I could easily go on a 60 day cruise and never wear the same thing at night twice. We're doing the holiday sailing on the QM again this year and I am absolutely not buying anything.:eek:

I feel your pain, I've lost all control. I was starting to pull things our of the closet yesterday for our upcoming cruise (we leave Tuesday on the Queen Mary) and thought to myself, you've lost all control. I could easily go on a 60 day cruise and never wear the same thing at night twice. We're doing the holiday sailing on the QM again this year and I am absolutely not buying anything.:eek:

Unfortunately I totally understand this. My workplace is of necessity extremely relaxed. We're talking jeans and a company t-shirt. Prior to going to work there, I thought this would be a wonderful departure from my previous much less casual dress work life.

Last year we went on our first cruise, we're going on a short cruise this year, and next year we're planning a Mediterranean cruise. I did not realize how much I actually love girlie stuff until I did a practice packing for the short cruise just to see did I need anything else. If I ever manage to talk my boss into letting me off for a month long cruise anywhere in the world, I have the wardrobe for it.

I've taken to putting on at least a sundress whenever I go out on the weekend. The girls that cashier at our neighborhood grocery keep asking me where I'm going and laugh when I tell them I am wear testing my cruise wear. :)

Thanks.

Vicki

Nope, because I have no use for them in my everyday life. I have just enough fancy stuff to cover elegant nights on cruises for the rest of my life. I would only buy new stuff if the ones I have get ruined or wear out. However, having said that...if I saw something that I just couldn't resist...well, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!;)

I hope you have an awesome Alaskan cruise. Alaska is Ah-mazing!

Edited by mousey

Have a wonderful Alaska cruise!

I have half a guest room closet of formal/semi-formal items and what did I just buy…a pink and green silk reversible jacket. Because, of course, it's reversible and I NEEDED something else for our fall cruise! If I can stay away from the summer sales next month it will be a miracle.

Melissa

• 1 month later...

I LOVE formal nights - one of the main reasons we continue to love Celebrity :D I say if it makes you happy then buy that second outfit!! Who cares if you'll wear it again but then again you might just go on another cruise someday. Also don't think you have to be uber rich to go to a charity event and wear those clothes - the Animal Welfare League here has a very formal event to raise money - and it's just us regular folks.

Edited by Jane2357

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks.

Vicki

DW oesnt ..... Worry about a budget.