"Club" Dining---Pure snobbery or a good idea?

CruisingObsessed

I am appalled at the "Club Class" dining idea. Not only is it a recipe to make anytime dining even more messed up than it already is; but is creating a caste system on a ship that has mass market appeal such a good idea?

Am I wrong? Do people think they need this for the extra money spent on suites and minis? Obviously Princess's motivation is cash...

I am appalled at the "Club Class" dining idea. Not only is it a recipe to make anytime dining even more messed up than it already is; but is creating a caste system on a ship that has mass market appeal such a good idea?

Am I wrong? Do people think they need this for the extra money spent on suites and minis? Obviously Princess's motivation is cash...

This subject was discussed a bit on another recent thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2352131

Personally, I HATE what the Cabin Class dining represents. I have NO problem with those paying more, receiving more. Why else would you pay more? BUT the idea of SEPARATING diners by cabin class is just... well, not classy.

DH and I are disliking the separation of "classes" in the MDR so much that we've booked our next cruise on Princess BEFORE the Cabin Class dining plan rolls out on the Royal. And then.... we'll see what happens. I hope there's some sort of modification because I LIKE Princess and I loved the Regal and expect to love the Royal but the proposed dining plan? Not so much.

Celebrity has had some really bad reviews of their MDRs since they introduced the "Aqua Class" dining in Blu (a separate restaurant). THey have done away with their brunch which was included in the cruise fare, and supposedly shifted a significant amount of dining funds to Blu and away from the MDRs.

I would rank 2015 Princess MDR food as lower than Celebrity MDR of a few years ago, but better than DCL's MDR (which has been declining seriously in recent years.)

But...if the food in the MDRs slips in quality for the riff-raff, that would be a reason to look around, not a reason to pay more on Princess. At that point, we may as well go to one of the real luxury lines.

Yeah, it's bad enough walking by Sabatini's in the morning when all those high-class folks who have booked full suites are having their heavenly breakfast. Now I have to see all those well-heeled folks sniffing as they march to the head of the line in ATD and right to their area separated by velvet ropes. What's next? Big beefy bouncers with open shirts and gold chains around their necks making sure us riff-raff stays out? Suite and Club Class life boats? Tender service with padded seats, waiters and free drinks?

Please notice my tongue is firmly planted in my cheek. I could really care less.

Good heavens. It's just a simple case of people paying more for additional services. It is not anything to do with class or snobbery. Anyone who wants to receive more can pay more and get it. My understanding of Celebrity having cruised with them twice is that the MDR still serves the same quality food. Some very much prefer MDR to Blu.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

NCL and Celebrity both offer separate dining for suites, Princess simply has to keep up or risks losing the high rollers. I was in a suite on the CB last week and I thought the amenities were well behind the other lines I've sailed. Prices do seem to go up as extra perks are added. Look at it this way, higher prices paid by suite passengers can keep prices lower for other categories.

We cruise on both Princess and HAL. We have booked every cabin type from inside to full suite, depending on the itinerary and how much time we expect to stay in the cabin. I definitely think there should be perks and incentives for booking expensive cabins, but I really dislike the idea of obtrusively segregating public spaces (including the MDR) by class. This concept is one reason we've had zero interest in Cunard. Not the end of the world, obviously, but if Princess continues in that direction, it might push me more towards HAL. We already prefer that HAL allows any cabin type to order room service from the MDR, while Princess only allows full suites to do this.

"Snobbery" is an attribute of persons, not of any specific tangible item.

Plenty of snobs book nothing but the lowest priced Inside guarantee.

And on several past cruises our tablemates in the MDR have been suite passengers. And not a snob among them. So I guess I will lose that opportunity. But I would never begrudge them the ability to chose the best cabin category that fits their budget; wouldn't that be "reverse snobbery"?

I'm not a fan of the "class" system. I object to our favorite minis being labeled as clu and having to pay more for them! I reserve a time in the anytime dining room in the morning so a special area does not entice me. We usually cruise with friends who book a balcony so will dine with them anyway. We just completed the TA from Lauderdale to Barcelona. After the first few nights the

Concerto dining room was half empty at 7:30. Karen

My last dozen cruises were in MiniSuites. Though -they were not in the areas that are now designated Club MiniSuites. If I was to sail today in a Minisuite, I would not choose the center ones - that is not my choice of location.

That being said, I am against the concept.

I personally would rather see Princess charge more and provide this type of service to all passengers. Elevate the type of line that Princess provides to their entire passengers.

It also makes logistics a mess when traveling with friends and groups.

It also makes logistics a mess when traveling with friends and groups.

Well, you always have the option of giving up the perks you just paid for in order to dine with your friends...or booking a cabin location that doesn't include the perks.

I agree--in general it is a bad idea. And if Princess is set on doing this, they need to establish a separate location for it rather than a section of the MDR.

Edited by moki'smommy

"Snobbery" is an attribute of persons, not of any specific tangible item.

Plenty of snobs book nothing but the lowest priced Inside guarantee.

And on several past cruises our tablemates in the MDR have been suite passengers. And not a snob among them. So I guess I will lose that opportunity. But I would never begrudge them the ability to chose the best cabin category that fits their budget; wouldn't that be "reverse snobbery"?

Totally agree! Many well-to-do people are not snobs and visa versa. It's an attitude and doesn't matter how many "things" you have.

I think it's fine to offer perks to those willing to pay for them. A cruise is just as nice with the basic offerings, so why be jealous of those who can afford more?? A spirit of jealousy is no different than snobbery.

But I do wish that Princess would make the new dining area a separate place, not a portion of the MDR. I've sailed on Celebrity in a balcony cabin and a full suite. I've eaten at both their MDR and the Blu restaurant (only for Aqua or suite class cabins). I like the food in them both, but Blu has a more intimate feel and better service. That's the type of new restaurant that Princess needs to create, not just a corner of the MDR.

Princess could alleviate their problem of insufficient dining space and benefit everyone by making the former Sabatini's into the Club Dining space.

Certainly a better idea than the SHARE it's been changed to on many ships. :D

Well' date=' you always have the option of giving up the perks you just paid for in order to dine with your friends...or booking a cabin location that doesn't include the perks.

I agree--in general it is a bad idea. And if Princess is set on doing this, they need to establish a separate location for it rather than a section of the MDR.[/quote']

We previously booked mini suites as my Mom traveled with a German Shepherd service dog. We needed the extra space for obvious reasons. I just had thoughts what if the only Mini Suites available for a cruise were the Club ones (others booked up) so to get the extra space, I have to pay for benefits I don't want. I have no doubt that this scenario may exist as I am a last minute cruise booker due to my job.

I guess I am one who remembers when service in the dining room was amazing for everyone.

I agree with you. I would prefer Princess roll out new features on new ships that were built for it. I think the concept of Salty Dog is tacky in the beloved Wheelhouse lounge. Princess probably should build their new ships with "new restaurant space" that they can modify for whatever whim they are thinking of that week.

Edited by Coral

Princess could alleviate their problem of insufficient dining space and benefit everyone by making the former Sabatini's into the Club Dining space.

I doubt that the Club Dining thing is going to bother me, however I like your idea. But I rather suspect that Princess is addicted to the premium dining fee.

I have mentioned this before (and gotten flamed for the trouble) but the idea of a "roped off" section of the regular dining room for the Club people will encourage any snobbery that might already exist. Of course all people who pay for higher priced cabins are not snobs, but there will be at least a few on every cruise. It's human nature. (Look at the black-card waving snobs we hear about all the time.) If the non-Club passengers can see the Club passengers receiving special treatment, and if any of the Club passengers make it known that they are the "special" ones, resentment will ensue. It would make more sense, IMO, to give the Club people their own private DR.

I know many of you did not see "The Cruise" recently broadcast on ITV (UK) TV, but there was a segment where a lady who was going to the Chef's table dinner in the special illuminated area of the Regal made a remark to the camera like "Look at them. They are out there and WE are in here." Sneering and laughing while she said it. That's the kind of thing I would expect to see from any Club passengers who are prone to that sort of attitude in the first place.

However, I will be safely in TD, so I guess I don't need to worry about it too much. :)

I doubt that the Club Dining thing is going to bother me, however I like your idea. But I rather suspect that Princess is addicted to the premium dining fee.

It doesn't bother me either. I meant that they would benefit everyone by making more dining space available rather than possibly reducing it with the Club Dining. The Sabatini's space seems to be underutilized and it already gives the impression of being exclusive with the morning 'Suites Only' sign. I expect many new cruisers think that applies all the time and don't consider it in the evening.

The Sabatini's space seems to be underutilized and it already gives the impression of being exclusive with the morning 'Suites Only' sign. I expect many new cruisers think that applies all the time and don't consider it in the evening.

I never thought of that. Interesting...

Of course all people who pay for higher priced cabins are not snobs, but there will be at least a few on every cruise.

There already are! Don't let it bother you.

...if any of the Club passengers make it known that they are the "special" ones, resentment will ensue.

Only by people who are insecure. If they're really resentful, then they should fork over the money to get a more expensive cabin or let it be.

...a lady who was going to the Chef's table dinner in the special illuminated area of the Regal made a remark to the camera like "Look at them. They are out there and WE are in here." Sneering and laughing while she said it.

Who cares??!

I suggest not worrying about how others think of each other and just have a great vacation. You'll likely never see any of these folks again, so don't let "who-gets-what" ruin your cruise. :D

Isnt there a system like this on Cunard Line,dining due to cabin option.

Anyways the roped section,will soon be replaced with a cage.

Anyone who thinks there isn't an elitism system on-board already is blind.

Sometime soon they will have their own ship to frollick around on.

Interesting we met a aus/chinese couple who refused to wear their elite card,and wore an old blue one,what a wonderful,interesting couple they were,and they got snobbed by their fellow eletists. Quite frankly it dosent take long for the real people to gravitate towards the real people,that is one of the best things about cruising.:):)

And when it comes to these so-called snobs,we just laugh at them,so i guess who cares.

Edited by mrs and mrs

I honestly don't understand this fixation on "status", of any sort.

I guess I'm luck I've rubbed shoulders with the rich and famous and the down and out.

Know what?

There are nice and not so nice people in both groups.

I'm not a fan of these "special" arrangements, what concerns me most is that the minis that I'd want seem to be put into this category.

A question.

If I book one of these club class minis will I be able to eat in standard dining?

And if so will I be in effect taking a table from the lower class plebs that don't have any option?

I guess I don't a problem with this. Princess wants more revenue. If people want to give them more revenue, go right ahead. The food is the same, right? Just the seating location is different. If people want to pay for that, who am I to object? I'll just smile, eat my dinner, and know I would never pay for that.

They're trying to keep up with Celebrity. And after just disembarking Celebrity, I couldn't care less. Didn't make any difference to my dining experience. In fact I probably got a better table in the MDR because all the suites were in a seperate restaurant