Do you take your passport -

Sat1

On excursions ? Isn't that what the safe is for?

We only take our passport ashore if directed to by the cruise line. I think there's only been something like 2 or 3 ports where we had to in all our cruises. We usually leave the passport in the safe, and take our ship's card and driver's license with us on excursions.

On most non-Carribean cruises the ship keeps your passport for all or a portion of the cruise so,taking it is not usually an option.

We've never had our passports held by the ship on any of our cruises, to date.

3 of our cruises were through the Caribbean but the others, no.

Depends on the cruise line. The luxury lines take, and keep, every passenger's passports even for Alaska cruises.

Our TA was robbed in Aruba and their passports were stolen. Some friends experienced a similar thing in Nassau. If a port doesn't require it, why take it off? If you miss the ship, security will retrieve it and give it to the port agent. I just won't risk having a passport stolen.

I don't even HAVE a passport...so no...I don't take it ashore! It's not required by Caribbean ports AT ALL....now, if you're in a country that does require them, take it!

Yes, you are correct..... but if injured in one of those ports, and require a flight home, might run into a problem. I like the comment about a photocopy to take ashore. I use my BC. Enjoy.

Depends on the cruise line. The luxury lines take, and keep, every passenger's passports even for Alaska cruises.

Nope. Paul Gauguin didn't take our passports and barely even looked at them when we boarded. We put them into the safe in our cabin and didn't take them out until the end of the cruise.

You've probably never cruised outside of North America, the Caribbean, and Schengen countries in Europe. If you ever visit non-Schengen countries such as those along the Dalmation Coast, passports will be collected.

On excursions ? Isn't that what the safe is for?

You are right -- our passports go into the safe when we cruise the Caribbean, Alaska, Canada/New England, Hawaii, Mexico.

But if you are sailing the Med or Baltic or other exotic itineraries, you may be required to give your passports to the purser.

Yes, you are correct..... but if injured in one of those ports, and require a flight home, might run into a problem. I like the comment about a photocopy to take ashore. I use my BC. Enjoy.

Why take a useless copy ashore ??

You can not fly with one .

JMO

Why take a useless copy ashore ??

You can not fly with one .

JMO

Most people going ashore aren't intending to fly. The main reason for taking it is for identification purposes, and mostly a copy will do that adequately; therefore it's not useless.

Most people going ashore aren't intending to fly. The main reason for taking it is for identification purposes, and mostly a copy will do that adequately; therefore it's not useless.

A photo copy is not proper I.D.

I leave mine in the safe; but before I leave for the cruise, I make a photocopy of that first page -- the one with all the information like passport number, et cetera -- and I stick that in my travel purse so I'll have a copy of it with me should the need to have it arise.

I take my passport card ashore and leave my passport book in the safe, unless required to carry the passport book by local law. The risk of theft/loss/damage of the passport book is greater than the risk of missing the ship.

My passport card will work as ID if need be. I only take my DL if renting a car.

Edited by dwjoe