Ironing on Royal Caribbean

I'm sure the question has been asked a thousand times,

that is .... Are there any ironing facilities on anthem ?

If not ...... will probably put my OBC toward it lol.

I may pop into tesco and buy a cheapie steam iron beforehand as if they confiscate it, i won't get the hump.

I may pop into tesco and buy a cheapie steam iron beforehand as if they confiscate it, i won't get the hump.

No self-service laundry or ironing facilities on any Royal ship.

Edited by clarea

and irons are prohibited. From the RCI website:

"Onboard Policies

Q: What items are not allowed onboard the cruise ship?

A: Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned..

Prohibited items:

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.)

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles, Incense, Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Travel Steamers & Hot Plates. (Items that generate heat or produce an open flame. This includes heating pads, clothing irons, hotplates, candles, incense and any other item that may create a fire hazard. NOTE: The only exception to this policy are curling irons and hair straighteners. Matches and normal lighteners are allowed onboard. However "torch lighters" and novelty lighters that look like guns are not allowed onboard. Torch lighters emit a powerful concentrated flame, and therefore are prohibited.

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

Illegal Drugs

Skateboards & Surfboards

Aerial Drones

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.

Hookahs & Water Hookah Pipes.

HAM Radios

Electrical Extension Cords

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.

Alcoholic Beverages (Note: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.)"

The lack of self service laundry is one of my least favorite things about RCI. I always liked being able to iron my shirts on Carnival quickly and without a fee.

Now I just hang my shirts up next to the shower and let the steam help. :D

So that means you would try to take one on onboard even though they are not permitted?

The lack of self service laundry is one of my least favorite things about RCI. I always liked being able to iron my shirts on Carnival quickly and without a fee.

Now I just hang my shirts up next to the shower and let the steam help. :D

good call. I may try that :)

Boo! That policy does suck big time. We're a very active family and both me and my wife exercise a lot so we get stinky sweaty...a lot (sorry for TMI!). On other cruises we've been, we just spend ~ 1hr around midnight doing our workout laundry couple times during the trip.

I guess we'll have to sneak in some detergent and use the shower or bathroom sink.

Boo! That policy does suck big time. We're a very active family and both me and my wife exercise a lot so we get stinky sweaty...a lot (sorry for TMI!). On other cruises we've been, we just spend ~ 1hr around midnight doing our workout laundry couple times during the trip.

I guess we'll have to sneak in some detergent and use the shower or bathroom sink.

No need to 'sneak' - there is no prohibition on detergent :) I'm sure you're not alone in washing some things out in the sink. I use the laundry service on board but I have some things which are not suitable to be done in RCI's commercial style washers/dryers so I always do a few things in the sink, then roll them in a towel to remove most of the water

well ...... I might ...... I really don't see the problem

The problem is a massive one affecting many people if you cause a fire!! Enjoy your vacations and forget the ironing - use the pressing service or do as most and travel with low care clothing or have a few wrinkles. I found the dry cleaning service costs less than it does at home.

If the wrinkles are really atrocious I use Downy Wrinkle Release (spray bottle, non aerosol available at Walmart) hang the offending item(s) in the bathroom during a shower. However, I usually just forget about the wrinkles

Edited by awhfy

So.....matches are fine but irons aren't.....:confused:

We've taken a travel iron each time and been "caught" once so far - I'm sure there'll be other times. The iron is cooled down after every use by standing it on ice from the ice bucket in the sink before we leave the room.

I'm sure that we are responsible enough to ensure that there is absolutely no fire risk from the hot plate, which on a travel iron probably doesn't even get as hot as the OH's hair straighteners!!

And is certainly MUCH safer than having matches in the room.

Flame away (pardon the pun!!!).......;)

Edited by minsterman

and lighters ......

and smoking .....

and flambé .....

look at the end of the day, to RCI, it's all about the Yankee dollar.

Ironing room ???? That's a whole cabin space !!

Let people do their own ironing at their Convenience ???

the laundry would go bankrupt !!

LMAO at this joke.

PICT0008.grid-6x2.jpg

My point exactly - Star Princess fire caused by discarded cigarette.

When they ban smoking & matches due to the fire risk, then we'll stop taking our travel iron - I promise.

Edited by minsterman

The rationale behind banning steamers is the heating chamber contains metal which can overheat and cause a fire.

Hair straightners get very hot. And so do some curling irons. I wonder if those will be banned next.

On our first cruise with RCI, I thought this would be a big inconvenience. It wasn't. I send my items to wash 'n fold which I love. Swimsuits and other delicate items, I wash in the sink with some of the "mystery gel" from the shower, roll in a towel to squeeze excess water and hang to dry. I sent a few dress items to be pressed (at VERY reasonable prices) but I don't even do that now. I have my Downey Wrinkle Release and I buy more clothes that don't wrinkle. We've spent 2 weeks between cruising and pre/post days on a Med cruise without ever wearing dirty clothes or feeling a need for a self-service laundry. I now consider it a "perk" not to have to schlep down with coins and detergent. Now, even on a ship that has a self-service laundry, You won't have to wait behind me to use it. I own both a steamer and a travel iron and I now leave those behind. I don't want to try smuggling them onto the ship or hiding them in my luggage. I just like to keep it simple. If I have a wrinkle or two, I don't worry or stress. I can skip one $12 drink and get anything I need pressed or do both and consider it a vacation treat/expense.

My apologies to the admin people.

I don't like being insulted by people on this site that don't know me.

This is a discussion forum.

People are allowed to talk about pleasure or displeasure about any cruise line on this forum. That's what it's for.

Please don't expect me (of all people) not to bite when someone I don't know or have ever met in my life, calls me cheap.

This is a public apology to all on CC. and administration.

Peter Walker aka stitch

Hair straightners get very hot. And so do some curling irons. I wonder if those will be banned next.

That's the day I and most women I know stop sailing.

But I do think you do have a very good point about curling/straightening appliances being just as dangerous as steamers.