Ladies... Do you wear heels to the MDR

I love, love, love shoes. I'm going on my 3rd cruise in August. I've never ate in the main Dining room, but plan to this time around. Is it okay to wear heels or wedges? I thought I read that due to safety it was best not too.

Thanks for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I always wear wedges (or heels occasionally) to the MDR and pretty much the whole time while onboard. Not sure where you heard it's not a good idea. The only time you wouldn't want to is going on an excursion, or milling around outside the ship. What else are you supposed to wear especially on elegant night - tennis shoes?! :eek:

You can wear the shoes of your choice: heels, flats, sandals, tennis shoes. ( no plastic beach flip flops).

On elegant night you see a lot of heels and strappy sandals.

Why would heels be unsafe in the MDR? No different than a nice restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Cruise Critic App

Ha! That's exactly what I was thinking! Ok, good :) I have proof to show the hubby my shoes are A-OK. Thanks! 😃

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LOL! That's so cute - look honey, everyone on cruisecritic says it's ok :D Seriously though the only time I have had trouble in heels is when it has rained on the open decks - it can get slippery...

A piece of advice, I wear heels but the tiled floor can be exceptionally slippery! I walk very carefully and try to walk on the carpet where possible!

Freedom b2b Sept 2014

Splendor Jan 2014

Breeze Sept 2013

Imagination Sept 2013

Triumph Sept 2008

Pride Sept 2007

Miracle Sept 2006

I see ladies wear ridiculous shoes on ships and I wonder how they don't slip and fall..and I have seen others fall on the tile or open decks after a light rain or cleaning. High heels might be ok in most places, but for ships, I would recommend some dressy sandals or lower/wide heeled wedges. Also, women seem to think the ship doesn't rock - you will experience some motion on all ships so it's safer to wear shoes that work for that.

I bring 4 pairs of shoes on every cruise: sport sandals (Tevas) for shore excursions & embarkation day, flipflops (rubber bottomed) for the pool, dressy low heel wedges (black or silver goes with everything) and water shoes for any shore excursions that require them.

You are vacation so be comfy and bring shoes that can go with everything from a gown to your favorite jeans.

A piece of advice, I wear heels but the tiled floor can be exceptionally slippery! I walk very carefully and try to walk on the carpet where possible!

Freedom b2b Sept 2014

Splendor Jan 2014

Breeze Sept 2013

Imagination Sept 2013

Triumph Sept 2008

Pride Sept 2007

Miracle Sept 2006

This! The combo of slippery floors plus a dress terrifies me!

I have always worn heels to MDR except the one December cruise that we had 20ft waves :eek: They do however end up in my hands by the time I'm headed back to the cabin after a few too many night caps! :p lol

We moved to Key West 13 years ago & I swore I would never wear anything but flip flops again! I wear them, plus kitten heel thongs on elegant nights and it totally works for me. DH wears topsiders or loafers sans socks with his guyabera and slacks on elegant nights and regular Hawaiian shirts and slacks on other nights. I guess you could say we're Key West Formal!

I've only been on one cruise, but I wore my favorite pumps to the MDR on elegant night. I had no problems whatsoever, but I made sure I held onto DH when walking on slippery surfaces just in case. All other nights I just wore flats. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I wear heels or wedges occasionally in the MDR aside for elegant night. Maybe you heard about safety concerns with heels if doing a galley tour. That floor is slippery and I wouldn't wear heels if you do that.

I can't wear heels due to balance issues but I have worn a wedge. My daughter wore heels every night to dinner. I think the biggest thing is the bottom...I try to bring shoes that have more of a grip on the bottom (almost rubbery) so I don't have to worry about slipping on the tile areas. Wear whatever you are comfortable in and even if you are the only one (you won't be...not even close) who cares ;)

OH YES!!!!

Wear heels and show off your legs!! Enjoy yourself and dress to the nines!!! Don't just go formal on elegant night, you can dress for every night! I love the MDR and enjoy dressing up.

The first night, sail away night, is one time almost anything is acceptable -- since not everyone has their luggage yet. But after that, is a more formal casual.

Yes, Oh yes!!! Wear heels. Hang on to someone if the ship starts rocking, but normally it doesn't get too bad for heels!!!

You can wear them but remember, you are on a moving vessel. I have seen women go tumbling down the stairs while wearing heels. I would hate to see you ruin your vacation because we hit a wave and you tumbled off your heels and sprained an ankle.

You can wear them but remember, you are on a moving vessel. I have seen women go tumbling down the stairs while wearing heels. I would hate to see you ruin your vacation because we hit a wave and you tumbled off your heels and sprained an ankle.[/quote

Well said! I always wear heels to the dining room. There are times when going through rough seas when I have worn a more practical pair of shoes or even changed my outfit because the heels would have been dangerous and potentially

landed me with a sprained ankle or in someone's lap !!!:o