Letter to Goldstein about RCCL refusing to discuss TA bookings

lewinr

Hi, I just wrote a letter to Goldstein which I thought I would share here.

Please don't bother telling "That is why I never book through a TA" or "you need to find a new TA". This is not about the TA but rather about RCCL and their policy regarding bookings made via TAs.

Dear Adam Goldstein

Please accept my feedback regarding our recent cruise (Jewel of the Seas, Dec 27). I am sending this to the executive office as it is not a “customer service failure” but a strategic question of the relationship between RCCL, your TAs and your mutual customers. The cruise was very good, and this letter practically does not concern the cruise itself.

The issue: Our TA promised us a number of onboard benefits for booking with him: OBC, free specialty dining, bottle of wine, etc. (I am not going to mention the TA’s name because this is not a complaint about the TA but an observation about RCCL’s policies).

Before sailing I called RCCL customer service to ensure RC saw that our reservation included these benefits. They said there were not able to talk to us about our reservation because we had booked through a TA. They said we should ask our TA and there was no way to know if the benefits were reflected in our reservation until we were onboard. Our TA said that they had informed RCCL of the benefits and there should be no problem.

Of course onboard we did not receive some of the benefits. When we went to customer service to understand why, we were told “sorry, in the computer we only see the benefits provided, you will need to speak with your TA to solve it….” which of course is difficult and expensive when we’re already sailing. In discussion with your CSR I was told that this happens quite often and she spends too much time on each sailing dealing with unhappy passengers with such issues.

This situation can easily be avoided if passengers are able to check that RCCL has received information about such benefits before sailing. (Either by phone or online.) How can your current policy be in your interest as the result is a negative experience for all: the passenger who did not get what I was expected, the TA who had to spend extra time on resolving the issue and who faces and unhappy customer, and RCCL whose staff onboard need to deal with the resulting issues.

I understand the root of the policy is to avoid making problems for TAs by providing possibly passengers with incorrect or confidential information, and also to make them earn their commission by dealing with the customer. But as a result customers are caught in the middle and suffer, while protecting the customer experience must be the first priority. And I doubt that providing customers information about their benefits (without providing any financial information regarding the booking other than OBC) will cause any problems with the TA except in cases that are likely to become a problem onboard anyway. Avoiding such problems is in everybody’s interest.

So I hope you will consider to provide passengers who book through TAs with more information about their bookings and benefits, ideally online. (C&A benefits can also be added to this functionality, emphasizing the value of C&A membership to the passengers before they sail.)

Also, attached please find below the design my son has made for your next ship (“The Fish of the Seas”).

Thank you

212zjlt.jpg

Wow. I had the EXACT same problem on my last cruise and thought I was alone.

Last minute phone call to my TA before sailing, once I boarded and realized the benefits were missing had no effect, even after repeated trips to guest relations.

Its been like this for many years on all major cruise line's. I understand your point.

But RCCL would rather you book directly with them avoiding Commission paid to TA's

So they kind of put a little (tripping point) into your reservation.

TA's are no longer able to discount rate's so they provide perk's for you to use there services.,

You book with them and don't get all the perks,

It then becomes a he said she said point.

I have a great TA and get perks, but at time's the perks don't show up, I go back to my TA and they always make it right. If not then, on my next cruise.

It is my choice to use a TA and I understand the restriction's that come's with.

Hi, I just wrote a letter to Goldstein which I thought I would share here.

Please don't bother telling "That is why I never book through a TA" or "you need to find a new TA". This is not about the TA but rather about RCCL and their policy regarding bookings made via TAs........

I understand the root of the policy is to avoid making problems for TAs by providing possibly passengers with incorrect or confidential information, and also to make them earn their commission by dealing with the customer. But as a result customers are caught in the middle and suffer, while protecting the customer experience must be the first priority. And I doubt that providing customers information about their benefits (without providing any financial information regarding the booking other than OBC) will cause any problems with the TA except in cases that are likely to become a problem onboard anyway. Avoiding such problems is in everybody’s interest.......

I disagree, the basis for the policy is that TA's earn commission for the bookings that they make and Royal doesn't want their in house team to be working on issues that the TA should be taking care of because it was the TA that 'promised' the said OBC, complimentary specialty restaurant or some other perk -- NOT Royal.

In today's world it would be easy to have the complete reservation available for viewing by the cruiser, and it can be stipulated that NO changes can be made to the booking UNLESS through the TA and any discrepancies need to be handled through the TA......but I can assure you that WON'T stop people from calling Royal's reservation agents, feeling their situation is different.

So the policy is what it is.....get a different TA, who delivers what they say they will give you. Don't be taken in by them again.

It isn't the policy's fault -- it is the TA's fault. Put the blame where it should be.

If the perks were spelled out and were not provided, get a lawyer, report them to the BBB or better yet contact your state consumer affairs. In my perks they can change if I get a subsequent lower price cruise than originally booked.

While I sympathise that you did not receive what the Travel Agent offered, when you choose to book via a TA, the contract becomes between you and the agent, and not between you and Royal Caribbean. In booking this way, you do kind of forfeit the opportunity to deal directly with the company who ultimately receive your money.

For that reason, it's not really a policy failure on the part of the cruise line. The party at fault appears to be the agent, so I wouldn't expect much satisfaction from any response you receive from RCI.

I disagree, the basis for the policy is that TA's earn commission for the bookings that they make and Royal doesn't want their in house team to be working on issues that the TA should be taking care of because it was the TA that 'promised' the said OBC, complimentary specialty restaurant or some other perk -- NOT Royal.

In today's world it would be easy to have the complete reservation available for viewing by the cruiser, and it can be stipulated that NO changes can be made to the booking UNLESS through the TA and any discrepancies need to be handled through the TA......but I can assure you that WON'T stop people from calling Royal's reservation agents, feeling their situation is different.

So the policy is what it is.....get a different TA, who delivers what they say they will give you. Don't be taken in by them again.

It isn't the policy's fault -- it is the TA's fault. Put the blame where it should be.

My point is that RC ends up dealing with it onboard anyway.

How is it a benefit to them to have the problems, conflicts, etc, that result?

Not providing the information does not solve the problems, it just makes it worse.

If the perks were spelled out and were not provided, get a lawyer, report them to the BBB or better yet contact your state consumer affairs.

You think that's the outcome that RCCL wants to have resulting from their customers working with their agents?

While I sympathise that you did not receive what the Travel Agent offered, when you choose to book via a TA, the contract becomes between you and the agent, and not between you and Royal Caribbean. In booking this way, you do kind of forfeit the opportunity to deal directly with the company who ultimately receive your money.

For that reason, it's not really a policy failure on the part of the cruise line. The party at fault appears to be the agent, so I wouldn't expect much satisfaction from any response you receive from RCI.

I deal with RCCL in 10 different ways anyway before the cruise, and then exclusively on the cruise. Providing a bit extra service before the cruise that helps their passengers and them to avoid problems, I don't think it is too much to ask.

My point is that RC ends up dealing with it onboard anyway.

How is it a benefit to them to have the problems, conflicts, etc, that result?

Not providing the information does not solve the problems, it just makes it worse.

I hope I didn't miss it but did you have the perks documented from your TA? We had the same problem in December and provided the TA documentation. They removed the charge and said they were waiting for an email response from the TA. They said if there was a further problem, they would reinstate the charge. We never heard a thing after that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I deal with RCCL in 10 different ways anyway before the cruise, and then exclusively on the cruise. Providing a bit extra service before the cruise that helps their passengers and them to avoid problems, I don't think it is too much to ask.

In the same light, expecting your paid agent to provide the service and "perks" they agreed to, is also not asking to much. The blame here is with your TA, they promised you a service or product as part of the deal, and then failed to follow through, you are laying the blame at the feet of a 3rd party and not where is actually lies

We have had the same problem 50% of the times we sail. Usually it is several bottles of wine our TA has paid for that is not delivered to our room. After the first few times, we now talk to our TA via cell phone or email to confirm whether or not RCL has done what our TA paid for. This gives her a chance to call her Royal rep and get it straightened out while we are onboard. So far, this has worked every time. It's ridiculous that everyone has to waste time forcing Royal to do something that should be routine but unfortunately, it seems like that's the way they want to do business now.

I am a travel agent and you do realize it is very easy for the ship board crew to blame it on the TA because then they don't have to deal with it. A couple of times I have a problem and gone to CS and gotten the you have to talk to your TA about that and you should see their faces when I say I am the TA it gets handled very quickly then. So don't always assume the TA didn't do what they were supposed to because I'll bet 99 times out of 100 they did and the cruise line dropped the ball.

OK folks ....

1) The OP has repeatedly stated that he/she believes the TA to be an employee/representative of RCCL (note: it's RCI. Has been for years.) Sorry lewinr, but the TA is not an employee of RCI.

2) The TA is your, the cruise passenger's, employee. When you use a TA, you are hiring them to represent you in negoiations with the cruise line.

3) If you have hired a TA, and then are are contacting the cruise line directly, there is too much of an opportunity for quid pro quo disconnects. Think about it for a moment. If you are the cruise line, to whom do you listen? To the person you hired to represent you, or to you (that person's customer)?

4) The only things the cruise line is obligated to provide you are those items, goods and services identified in your cruise contract. And, that is readily available to you before booking. If you chose not to read/understand it, then don't blame the cruise line.

5) If your TA promises you this perk, or that upgrade, etc., then they (not the cruise line) are making that promise. Any failure to receive what you were promised is their fault and your issue is with them. not the cruise line. If your TA made those promeise in writing, then you have a valid claim (tort) and the option to take legal action (against the TA) is available to you.

Oh? You didn't get it in writing? Well then, just consider it another cruise . . . Up $#!T Creek . . . without a paddle.

Please don't get me wrong. I do feel your pain. I have had the distinct displeasure of having dealt with (translates to: "hired") TAs who were "less than" competent. Far too many are not really "agents" who are going to work on your behalf. Rather, they are salesmen for a store (using the title of "agency") and are more interested in selling you a product, and getting their commissioin/paycheck.

My suggestion: Either do without a salesman (masquerading as a TA) and handle your booking directly with the cruise line . . . or . . . Find a true TA, who will work on your behalf and fulfill their promises.

"OK Calgon, how do I find a real TA, as opposed to what you call a salesman?"

Easy - Peasy . . . Go to http://www.cruising.org/ CLIA, the Cruise Line International Association has established KSA (knowledge, skills and ability) standards for certification of a Cruise Counselor. They also provide you, the potential client, with a means to locate a CLIA accredited, master, elite or scholar counselor.

=10&zip[country]=us"]http://www.cruising.org/vacation/agencyfinder?&zip[search_distance]=10&zip[country]=us

Edited by Calgon1

I disagree with the OP.

The Problem is between the TA and the OP. The cruise line is really not involved here at all.

I´ve been in the OP´s Situation before with parts of the contract not being delivered as promised / purchased. However this was nothing between the cruise line and me, but between the TA and me.

In my case a simple email to my TA from the ship usually cleared the Situation.

As far as I understand the OP wants a confirmation from the cruise line for stuff they were promised by the TA. It is not up to the cruiseline to provide this to the customer. If I want confirmation of such things I Need to ask my TA about it and it´s up to the TA to provide it, maybe even ask the cruiseline for proof to Forward to me. In any case this Needs to be done by the TA not me and not the cruiseline.

As the OP asks why the cruiseline would want this to happen, I ask why should I start to pester the cruiseline about such stuff. That´s what a TA is for. So again the TA needs to provide all this and make the request to the cruiseline for me.

I agree that it would be nice to think that the cruise line would give that bit of extra service, it shouldn't be too much to ask, and that yes it probably would alleviate problems for their staff inboard, but it's not the way it works I'm afraid. The travel agent has been given the responsibility, by you, to act on your behalf, and that's the way Royal Caribbean deals with it. It's a hard pill to swallow, and we have experienced it ourselves. It shouldn't be too much to ask, but it is.

But RCCL would rather you book directly with them avoiding Commission paid to TA's

I don't believe this to be true at all. As a matter of fact, Royal states on their web site that they recommend using a TA.

i-FdcCkRd.jpg

Edited by rusty nut

Many of you have misunderstood my letter.

I am not blaming anybody. (Yes, this is highly unusual on CruiseCritic so I can understand why everybody is confused.)

I am suggesting to RC that they change their policy to help their passengers, themselves and even their TAs who should also want to avoid problems. The only possible loser is a dishonest TA.

And I am not suggesting any huge amount of additional service on the side of RCCL. It will be enough for them to list the benefits on their website as part of the process of preparing the cruise docs. If something is wrong and the passenger calls RCCL, they still get told to sort it out with the TA. (And everybody will understand this... it is the same for airplane and many other types of travel bookings.) But at least the problem is clear and hopefully solved before people get on the ship.

1) The OP has repeatedly stated that he/she believes the TA to be an employee/representative of RCCL

Where did I state this even once, nevermind repeatedly?

Obviously the TA is not an employee of RCCL.

However TAs do in some ways represent the cruise line, because (as far as know) they should have an agreement with the cruise line to act as their agent. If a cruise line has poor agents working for them, they will have more problems and it will reflect poorly on the cruise line. I believe that the cruise line understands that it is in their interest to have competent, honest and reliable TAs working as their agents.

Although this is generally the case, it is not always so with all cruise lines.

Had virtually the exact same situation with Princess:

TA provided OBC, specialty dining and bottle of champagne.

Called Princess and the Rep. was able to confirm all of the above so that we would not have an issue when we embarked the ship. All went smoothly onboard.

From my understanding of what OP said in the letter, the request is to consider making the details of the customers cruise contract available for view by the customer when using a TA. I totally agree with that request.

I'm currently using a large on line TA company, but I can't view my cruise contract with either the TA or RCI website. It has been very frustrating. I've been making payments towards the final cost. I have my credit card payment record, but the amount I've paid and balance owed doesn't match with what TA is verbally telling me. I've asked for a copy of my payment record and the on-board credit I should expect to see when I get on the cruise, but they won't give me either. One issue was my RCI Visa points, the TA didn't seem to know I had redeemed points and had to call RCI to verify. My cruise is now paid in full and I've been able to print my Set Sail Pass. I'll ask again for an email showing the on-board credit I should have for this cruise, it's somewhere between $22.00 and $102, so it's not much to really worry with.

I just want to be able to SEE my reservation, what I've paid & what I still owe and anything else such as on-board credit, drink package, excursions or whatever. Then if something is different from my understanding, I'll call whoever, whether it's RCI or TA.

I understand what the OP is suggesting. It would make it easier for passengers to see the amenities a TA has promised them on their reservation. But I also agree that the issue really is that if your TA promised you something that wasn't forthcoming then the issue, as the policy currently stands, is between your TA and you. I have had occasions when the OBC promised me by two different TAs did not show up on board and in both cases when I brought it to the TA's attention they mailed me a check.

Originally Posted by lewinr viewpost.gif

Please accept my feedback regarding our recent cruise (Jewel of the Seas, Dec 27). I am sending this to the executive office as it is not a “customer service failure” but a strategic question of the relationship between RCCL, your TAs and your mutual customers.

You distinctly stated, "your TAs"

You think that's the outcome that RCCL wants to have resulting from their customers working with their agents?[/color][/i]

The way you worded this sentence identifies:

1) You (us) as RCCLs customers. You are the TA's customer.

2) "their agents" implies the relationship is to "RCCL".

I am suggesting to RC that they change their policy to help their passengers, themselves and even their TAs

ibid.

And yet again . . .

Where did I state this even once, nevermind repeatedly?

Obviously the TA is not an employee of RCCL.

However TAs do in some ways represent the cruise line, because (as far as know) they should have an agreement with the cruise line to act as their agent. If a cruise line has poor agents working for them, they will have more problems and it will reflect poorly on the cruise line. I believe that the cruise line understands that it is in their interest to have competent, honest and reliable TAs working as their agents.

Edited by Calgon1