Giovanni's Table

Does anyone have any favorite items at Giovanni's Table? I have no dietary restrictions and everything on the menu looks good to me but I wanted to hear if anyone had any favorites that I had to be sure not to miss.

Pictures would be helpful too if anyone took them.

Thanks!

Oddly enough, many people (including myself and multiple family members who ate at Giovanni's on Oasis 1-2 times in the past few weeks) feel that the filet mignon is the best item on the menu. Equally odd, we didn't like most of the pasta. The gnocchi was terrible (very gluey). The carbonara was OK, but it's not traditional carbonara... no heavy cream sauce with peas and bacon. It's a basic cream sauce with pancetta and a poached egg on top you can mix into the pasta. It thought it was decent, just wouldn't call it carbonara. My BIL loves eggplant parm and said that was about the best he ever had. I've also heard good things about the lunch lasagna and that you can ask for it at dinner but never tried it.

As for apps, my grilled octopus was good but my 7 year old niece ordered fried calamari off-menu (it's either on the lunch menu or kids menu) and it was excellent.

Had connolis for dessert and while not the best I've ever had, I thought they were tasty once I removed the maraschino cherry they stick in one end (why I have no idea).

DW and I are eating there again next month via FNDR and I will be ordering friend calamari, filet, probably lasagna if available, and the cannolis again.

Just one man/family's opinion of course but I've seen similar sentiments in CC threads about people enjoying the filet much more than the pasta.

Hope this helps.

We dined there last week and I agree the risotto was very good. Oddly, my husband and I both had the filet, and we weren't wow'd by it. It tasted like it was seasoned with Italian seasoning. I guess I am in love with the taste of a wood fire grilled steak like I get at a steakhouse back home. The charge was $29pp on board, but if we had booked in advance online there was a discounted fee of $21. The Tiramisu and Olive oil cake with lemon sorbet were very tasty.

The carbonara was OK, but it's not traditional carbonara... no heavy cream sauce with peas and bacon. It's a basic cream sauce with pancetta and a poached egg on top you can mix into the pasta. It thought it was decent, just wouldn't call it carbonara.

Really confused about this -- you've said it's 'not traditional carbonara' which you describe as being a 'heavy cream sauce with peas and bacon'. Just to be clear: traditional carbonara is made with raw eggs, a hard cheese (ie. Parmesan), and European bacon (ie. pancetta). Not sure if they actually made the carbonara with the raw eggs or not but it sounds like what they've served is actually traditional carbonara, and your expectations were for a completely different pasta dish that someone else has named 'carbonara' but actually isn't. So please, DO call it carbonara in future :D

Really confused about this -- you've said it's 'not traditional carbonara' which you describe as being a 'heavy cream sauce with peas and bacon'. Just to be clear: traditional carbonara is made with raw eggs, a hard cheese (ie. Parmesan), and European bacon (ie. pancetta). Not sure if they actually made the carbonara with the raw eggs or not but it sounds like what they've served is actually traditional carbonara, and your expectations were for a completely different pasta dish that someone else has named 'carbonara' but actually isn't. So please, DO call it carbonara in future :D

I'm a burger and pizza guy, lol, so I don't doubt you. All I know is when I order carbonara in the US it comes out how I described. My FIL of Italian descent who worked most of his life in NYC also felt their carbonara was terrible and not typical.

I've got no problem admitting when I'm in wrong an area that's not my wheelhouse.

OK, I was bored. FWIW, Wikipedia indicates that you are correct in your definition as being the more authentic, traditional one. It also mentions "Variations (US) peas, mushrooms, or other vegetables, cream", so I guess I'm used to and prefer the bastardized American version. :)

I also have zero problem admitting that us Americans can be quite ignorant of things outside the US. "Irish Pubs" are common here although they're far from authentic and I learned a long time ago that Shepherd's Pie in the US, which I enjoy, is actually NOT Shepherd's Pie b/c it's made with ground beef and traditionally is made with lamb, so I believe what I actually like is Cottage Pie.

*end of food rambling*

I'm a huge football (soccer) fan if that redeems me in anyway, lol. Cheers!

Edited by OCSC Mike

I'm a burger and pizza guy, lol, so I don't doubt you. All I know is when I order carbonara in the US it comes out how I described. My FIL of Italian descent who worked most of his life in NYC also felt their carbonara was terrible and not typical.

I've got no problem admitting when I'm in wrong an area that's not my wheelhouse.

OK, I was bored. FWIW, Wikipedia indicates that you are correct in your definition as being the more authentic, traditional one. It also mentions "Variations (US) peas, mushrooms, or other vegetables, cream", so I guess I'm used to and prefer the bastardized American version. :)

I also have zero problem admitting that us Americans can be quite ignorant of things outside the US. "Irish Pubs" are common here although they're far from authentic and I learned a long time ago that Shepherd's Pie in the US, which I enjoy, is actually NOT Shepherd's Pie b/c it's made with ground beef and traditionally is made with lamb, so I believe what I actually like is Cottage Pie.

*end of food rambling*

I'm a huge football (soccer) fan if that redeems me in anyway, lol. Cheers!

I was (am?) an 'ignorant American' myself -- I've been in the UK for almost 10 years now and have had to learn the very hard way, many many times, about these things. I had carbonara from the first time from an Italian student. I was stunned with the use of raw eggs but now I'm totally used to it. For the record: I totally prefer alfredo-style sauces. But in defense of Giovanni's, an 'Italian' restaurant, I thought I'd clarify that the carbonara described sounded fairly legit. Doesn't mean it wasn't any good, as noted by your FIL :)

Also -- to be fair, Shepherd's pie and Cottage pie are virtually identical save for the use of beef or lamb ground beef (aka mince over here!). A lot of restaurants here will interchange the names freely without matching the meats. Also: speaking of mince, I was horrified when I was offered 'mince pies' at Christmas time by many MANY people, which are never kept in the fridge and were positioned as a 'sweet' dessert. I avoided mince pies for at least 5 years, thinking people were eating un-refrigerated meat pies... only to learn that 'mince pies' are not made with mince. Sigh!! :') I give up. (Consequently, mince pies are pretty tasty!)

I was (am?) an 'ignorant American' myself -- I've been in the UK for almost 10 years now and have had to learn the very hard way, many many times, about these things. I had carbonara from the first time from an Italian student. I was stunned with the use of raw eggs but now I'm totally used to it. For the record: I totally prefer alfredo-style sauces. But in defense of Giovanni's, an 'Italian' restaurant, I thought I'd clarify that the carbonara described sounded fairly legit. Doesn't mean it wasn't any good, as noted by your FIL :)

Also -- to be fair, Shepherd's pie and Cottage pie are virtually identical save for the use of beef or lamb ground beef (aka mince over here!). A lot of restaurants here will interchange the names freely without matching the meats. Also: speaking of mince, I was horrified when I was offered 'mince pies' at Christmas time by many MANY people, which are never kept in the fridge and were positioned as a 'sweet' dessert. I avoided mince pies for at least 5 years, thinking people were eating un-refrigerated meat pies... only to learn that 'mince pies' are not made with mince. Sigh!! :') I give up. (Consequently, mince pies are pretty tasty!)

FYI...Mince pies used to be made with minced (Finely chopped beef) as well as raisins, apples, spices, other dried fruits, but in modern times...maybe 20th century forward, you rarely see "true" mince pie which is fine with me!! I love it being of English descent, but unless you make it yourself , it is kind of hard to find here in the USA. :)

I love the Lamb Chops! Sometimes I will switch to the Filet as it is better in Giovanni's than Chops. For lunch, I do agree the Lasagna is awesome. Sometimes we will give them a pre order and have it at dinner. But the Eggplant Parm is also very good.

I am not too crazy about their deserts. I find they use orange zest in the cannoli's which I don't like. But the cannoli is the only desert I will order just to try a bite.

The osso bucco and lamb chops were excellent. Also the risotto. We were a group of 12 and I think we tried just about every dish on the menu. People were too busy eating to talk. Giovanni's was by far our most enjoyable meal on the Allure. The one dish that didn't cut it, though, was the carpaccio. The beef was cut too thin and stuck to the plate.

FYI...Mince pies used to be made with minced (Finely chopped beef) as well as raisins, apples, spices, other dried fruits, but in modern times...maybe 20th century forward, you rarely see "true" mince pie which is fine with me!! I love it being of English descent, but unless you make it yourself , it is kind of hard to find here in the USA. :)

I have understand that the "old time" mince pies (dessert kind) were made with minced suet(beef fat - not meat) and raisins, peel, spices etc.

I have understand that the "old time" mince pies (dessert kind) were made with minced suet(beef fat - not meat) and raisins, peel, spices etc.

Ooooh that makes quite a bit of sense -- they really like to use suet here to create pie crusts and things.

Just to contribute to the thread -- I tried the veal tenderloin parcels at Giovanni's and really enjoyed them, even though I'm not a big mushroom fan. I also have found the baked jumbo shrimp to be very good, although one time we got really dry ones which stuck to the shell so they sent out some new ones to make up for the loss. We aren't huge fans of Giovanni's overall, as the menu selection isn't our favourite, and the desserts almost all have alcohol in them which regrettably my DH can't have so for a premium restaurant, he doesn't get all the courses. But we have been a fair few times owing to meal packages that sometimes require attendance at each restaurant. (Plus you can't eat steak and sushi every day... or can you?!)