Liking inside cabin?

Earl Colby Pottinger

Am I the only one who like insides cabins when travelling solo?

What I like about inside cabins is not only the costs, but since the cabins are designed for two people there is a lot more space to spread out my stuff.

Even better on the Carnival dream the second bed was one of those you pull down from the roof. So here I have a cabin with just a single one person bed and lots of floor space.

I LOVED IT!

Am I the only one?

Edited by Earl Colby Pottinger

From what I have heard, you are not the only one. One solo lady I met on a cruise loved her inside because you could make it totally dark at night (she even stuffed towels around the door to block out any light seeping in!).

Inside cabins are great for sleeping at any time of day although you can tend to lose track of what time of morning it is. We've had many oversleeping experiences when we've forgotten to set the alarm.

I prefer inside cabins also, looking out a window makes me dizzy when on a ship. I am fine on deck but those windows throw me for a loop, plus I like total darkness at night and its great for a mid afternoon nap.

Natural-light hack for those who are inside but want to know when the sun comes up: Put your teevee on the bridge-cam channel & mute the sound. It'll be dark overnight, but will get brighter with daylight (depending on how cloudy the weather, of course.)

Natural-light hack for those who are inside but want to know when the sun comes up: Put your teevee on the bridge-cam channel & mute the sound. It'll be dark overnight, but will get brighter with daylight (depending on how cloudy the weather, of course.)

Well, that's not natural light, so it's not a "hack" to get natural light; knowing when the sun comes up isn't why I want the natural light - it's because it's natural light and not technological light. It affects the brain differently ;)

I like the inside cabins too !

Only problem is not knowing the temperature outside and no frame of reference as to conditions.

I've had to return to my cabin more than once to pick up or drop off a sweater.

Though I"ll take any cabin-as long as the price is right.

I always prefer a balcony, but it's hard for me to justify paying that much for just me. That said, I got a great deal on a balcony for my upcoming Pacific Coastal and booked a balcony for my Alaska cruise next summer, hang the cost! Other than that, my solo cruises are insides or, even better, studios if I'm sailing on a ship that has them. I don't like the insides, but it's better than not being on the ship! But, I do miss sitting on the balcony reading. I was on NCL Epic in March in a studio and was delighted to learn the spa has a large aft balcony. I spent a lot of time there. :D

What I like about inside cabins is not only the costs, but since the cabins are designed for two people there is a lot more space to spread out my stuff.

Even better on the Carnival dream the second bed was one of those you pull down from the roof. So here I have a cabin with just a single one person bed and lots of floor space.

I LOVED IT!

Am I the only one?

I'm a vocal fan of the studios on NCL, if that answers your question. :) I get the best sleep of my life in those cabins, and I love the coziness. I have no doubt other people would find it hugely claustrophobic.

I've had balconies when sailing with my significant other (enjoyed being out there together), and when solo (mostly got bored on the balcony alone, but it was also brutally hot on that sailing).

I've never had a balcony. I've had porthole, ocean view, and inside. I don't spend much time in the room and I've found that I care more about room location than I do room type. So for my next two cruises I booked inside lido. The one thing I won't do is the inside upper/lower. I want the king bed when I'm on vacation. I really like how dark the inside cabins get. If I see a good deal on ocean view or balcony I may take one....but I won't sacrifice location for it.

For me it interior, especially when solo. It's all I can afford.(Thanks Carnival) a balcony is nice, able see whats out side, the port, sunsets and so on. I use my cabin for sleeping and showering. Have had balcony's in the past and on a 7 or 8 day cruise I spend maybe an hour and a half on the balcony. Anyway to each their own.

Hi,I usually book inside cabins because of the price savings. I really like inside cabins with a sofa or loveseat. I have that on my 2 Explorer of the Seas Pacific Coastal cruises on September 23,and September 30. Kendra

• 1 month later...

Nope. I've been blessed by the upgrade fairy sometimes and enjoyed outsides and balconies, but I love a nice, snug inside -- especially for afternoon naps. (I almost always cruise solo.)

Caro

• 2 weeks later...

i try to get the cheapest cabin I can get, which is usually an inside. On my last cruise (solo on a Hurtigruten coastal cruise) we were well above the Arctic Circle in late May, so had 24/7 daylight. I had to smile when I heard those with big windows complaining about curtains being insufficient to keep their cabins dark enough for sleeping at night.

I never spend much time in my cabin except to sleep, bathe, and get dressed, so I don't really need a window or balcony. On most ships you can turn on the TV and get the bridge cam that also displays the outside temperature, wind speed, and sea conditions so you know how to dress.

I cruise solo and always do the balcony. yes it cost much more but i also like spending time there as well. at times nice to get away from all the people on the ship. and just have quiet time looking at the water.

could never do an inside. i did it once a long time ago on my first cruise, and never again lol. the lowest i would do is an ocean view , i like to know where i am going.

I cruise solo and always do the balcony. yes it cost much more but i also like spending time there as well. at times nice to get away from all the people on the ship. and just have quiet time looking at the water.

could never do an inside. i did it once a long time ago on my first cruise, and never again lol. the lowest i would do is an ocean view , i like to know where i am going.

I do the same, I admire those of you who can do an inside cabin since they are cheaper but I couldn't stand it. :eek: My enjoyment comes from sitting on the balcony watching the world roll by, I just wait until a cruise comes up that I can afford. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Many times an OV is only $40 more than an inside. What the OP was talking about sounds like a 1A. I need the double beds for some reason.

The time I did OV it was $90 more for an OV guarantee. Wasn't worth it to me not to be able to pick the room location. Now I pay about $100 more for an inside lido. Love the location! Thinking about trying the lido inside picture window which is at the very front of the ship. I just don't know if it's worth walking all the way down the hallway. I've been down there before to be close to the observation deck but I didn't use it much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Saint Greg

The time I did OV it was $90 more for an OV guarantee. Wasn't worth it to me not to be able to pick the room location. Now I pay about $100 more for an inside lido. Love the location! Thinking about trying the lido inside picture window which is at the very front of the ship. I just don't know if it's worth walking all the way down the hallway. I've been down there before to be close to the observation deck but I didn't use it much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The advantage is one of my travel companion and I did that, while we shared the cabin we also had the entire front of the ship available as our balcony.

We found very few people went to the front of the ship, and most times we were completely alone or the only other people we on the other side of the ship.

We literally just step out our front door then the door to the outside to get a balcony that spanned the entire ship. This was great for coming in and out of port as you could see everything.

Please note this is on the Carnival ships, NCL ship I have been on do not let you go up front if the ship is moving (ie, it is fine once there are anchored in port, and Holland America did not have the hidden front decks to go on.

I am doing RCCL Empress of the Seas and report on her later today.