Port Canaveral to add at least 4 new cruise terminals

rolloman

There is absolutely zero chance port canaveral will ever see more cruise traffic than Miami or PE.

According to CLIA, it's not at all unlikely. In 2012 (the last year for which complete data were available) the embarkment numbers stack up as:

Miami - 1.887 Million

Port Everglades - 1.797 Million

Port Canaveral - 1.707 Million

Which means that PC only has to add 180,000 passengers/year to match Miami.

That equates to the equivalent of one additional ship doing 7-night itineraries and carrying ~3461 passengers/cruise, or one ship doing a mix of 4 and 5 night cruises carrying an average of 2465 passengers/cruise.;)

Edited by orville99

According to CLIA, it's not at all unlikely. In 2012 (the last year for which complete data were available) the embarkment numbers stack up as:

Miami - 1.887 Million

That equates to the equivalent of one additional ship doing 7-night itineraries and carrying ~3461 passengers/cruise, or one ship doing a mix of 4 and 5 night cruises carrying an average of 2465 passengers/cruise.;)

Correct, and just to what we know, NCL bringing a ship, Celebration cruiseline bringing a ship, Quantum making port visits.....this alone will be enough to surpass the other port counts. Port Authority folks have made it clear...Port Canaveral will be the largest, busiest cruise port in Florida.....soon.

There is absolutely zero chance port canaveral will ever see more cruise traffic than Miami or PE.

Let's see - Orlando is one of the cheapest airports to fly into, the area has more to offer than the others and there is lots of support.....

You could be wrong

No, no, no .....

This article doesn't say they ARE doing this ..... just that some consultant said they "would need to" add 4 new terminals....

Everyone getting all up in arms over this ... its by no means a definite... my god .

No, no, no .....

This article doesn't say they ARE doing this ..... just that some consultant said they "would need to" add 4 new terminals....

Everyone getting all up in arms over this ... its by no means a definite... my god .

Settle down guy.....this is just one article from today...everything is being talked about HERE, LOCALLY, on a daily basis. Ground breaking has already happened for the multi-million dollar dining and entertainment complex, new pier 1 will open in a few weeks, several additional ships are now scheduled to home port here and more are on the way....

I'm sure Miami with a new entrance to the port using a new tunnel won't hesitate to increase his capacity by expanding as well.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

While I'm sure that Miami does not want to let PC take the top spot without a fight, PC's expansion will start bringing increased traffic next month. Miami will be stuck playing catch up very soon (if not already);)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Let's see - Orlando is one of the cheapest airports to fly into, the area has more to offer than the others and there is lots of support.....

You could be wrong

MCO maybe cheaper to fly into but I sure wish it was closer to the port. Ground transport was very disorganized on Nov 15 for Explorer's first disembark. There were other problems as well, hopefully things get smoother. Hopefully new terminal improves things.

Denise

No, no, no .....

I was going to post on this as well!!! Only a consultant's evaluation of what is needed for future expansion.

Time will tell and we Brevard County voters will have a say in what happens as we elect the Port Commissioners. I believe that those things that are not burdensome on the county and improve the local economy within the physical limitations of the port area will happen pretty much as the study says.

While I'm sure that Miami does not want to let PC take the top spot without a fight, PC's expansion will start bringing increased traffic next month. Miami will be stuck playing catch up very soon (if not already);)

PortMiami remains World's Busiest Cruise Port with more than 4 million passengers last year

Press release port of miami 😜

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Miami - 1.887 Million

I stand corrected!!!

PortMiami remains World's Busiest Cruise Port with more than 4 million passengers last year

Press release port of miami

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile appSent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Unfortunately, this statistic is intended strictly for Miami-Dade politicians, and is misleading at best. The Port of Miami measures passenger traffic in terms of revenue per passenger, and since their port revenue model collects revenue both when a passenger embarks and again when that passenger disembarks, they divide total revenue by the ~$12.50 port fee they collect anytime a passenger steps on or off a ship, which essentially counts each passenger twice. The reason I used the CLIA data was that it counts only embarkment - which factors out the political gimmicks ports use to inflate their numbers (the bigger the number the greater the funding;)).

Canaveral is awesome for people who drive to the port. Tons of cheap parking and neat views of KSC. Getting there from Orlando is a bit of a pain (for those flying in), but 1 way rentals are cheap (if you prefer driving yourself) and it is better than trying to get to Galveston.

If flying Orlando is horrible for international passengers (yes, even with Disney, or maybe because of). Talked to a Brit last time I was there and he said customs is always a huge wait in Orlando. He intentionally flies in via Detroit so he can clear customs there instead.

FLL will always be my favorite for a fly and cruise,

Edited by JasonV1

It's a 9 hour drive for us to PC, or a flight to FLL. our family much prefers flying into FLL, but our preference comes with a cost for sure.

I would think for anyone that has to fly, unless you want to tie in an amusement park visit, FLL is so much easier to manage both from busy-ness of the airport, distance to port, and availability of hotels and such if you have to come in a day early. We usually fly in a day early and the one time we did that in PC there just wasn't the choices like you have in FLL for hotel, food, etc

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Unfortunately, this statistic is intended strictly for Miami-Dade politicians, and is misleading at best. The Port of Miami measures passenger traffic in terms of revenue per passenger, and since their port revenue model collects revenue both when a passenger embarks and again when that passenger disembarks, they divide total revenue by the ~$12.50 port fee they collect anytime a passenger steps on or off a ship, which essentially counts each passenger twice. The reason I used the CLIA data was that it counts only embarkment - which factors out the political gimmicks ports use to inflate their numbers (the bigger the number the greater the funding;)).

I still very proud to live in a state with 3 ports 😀

You could be wrong

Not to mention it being 3-4 hours closer than FLL and Miami for those driving in from the north.

There are actually five cruise ports in Florida:D

Actually 6.5 !

Jacksonville

Port Canaveral

Palm Beach (Celebration Line .. and I know its not a real cruise, but ... )

Port Everglades

Miami

Tampa

(and the .5 is Key West ... its just a stop, but still it sees big ships!)

:D