Obnoxious all-consuming "YOUR COMPUTER IS INFECTED!!!" pop-up when signing into CC

jeph

Within the last hour or so, a pop-up which fills the whole screen appeared. It announced (also LITERALLY announced, by the way, through the speakers in my laptop!) that my computer had just become infected with dangerous malware of some sort, and I'd better call the number on the screen RIGHT AWAY to deal with this problem AT ONCE, before further damage could be done. (That number, by the way, for whatever it's worth, is 844-469-7461, for those of you who may have more expertise in tracking these things down-- I was unable to find any further info on that number.) It's all bs, of course, a scam, but designed to give the (false) impression that this urgent message is coming straight from Microsoft. It's impossible to get away from this page by using the "back" button, or even closing the page-- you simply have to shut down the computer, which I did.

Now, I mention this on this forum for two reasons: First, because the SAME THING happened yesterday-- different page, different text, different phone number, but the same basic scam. (I WAS able to find some mention of that earlier phone number-- 877-667-7972-- in my subsequent online searching, so I know that at least one other person out there had recently encountered these jerks, even though the phone number seemed only to have been become active within the previous 24 hours. These guys appear and disappear as quickly as they can.)

The second, and more relevant, reason I'm bringing it up HERE is that in both cases, the pop-up took over my computer screen AT THE EXACT INSTANT that I was logging into the CC message boards. Naturally, I feel this is mighty unlikely to be coincidence!

So...has anyone else experienced this particular nasty phenomenon? Or is the only common factor between the two incidents my computer, rather than an issue with this website? I would also appreciate hearing from any of the monitors / administrators of CC if they can offer any insight...:confused:

Edited by jeph

Yes, a similar incident was reported on the Celebrity board and a host said thank you for bringing it to their attention and it would be looked into.

By the way, you might consider installing "AdBlock Plus" on your computer - it is completely free and I do not get the annoying ads anymore. In fact, it has a counter and I can see how many ads are blocked on each page. This one has 5 blocked ads, but I've seen double digits before! It's great, and free as I mentioned.

Google it - it's the first hit. :)

I also got the warning today on my PC and yesterday on my Surface tablet. On the tablet I was able to close the browser and start over without getting the message. On my PC I used the task manager to end it and then came back in without incident. It only happens on Cruise Critic and tells me my browsing has been restricted.

Another option is the Firefox browser, with the 'NoScript' plugin. By default, NoScript blocks all animations, flash & javascript - you just turn on enough stuff to make a page/site work the way you want it to work.

Often the problem is a hacked server at the advertising provider - the defaced web site [like the boards here] just has a place to insert & display whatever the ad server hands it, without any control over what is actually displayed.

I got the same pop up yesterday (or maybe the day before). It made a horrid noise when it appeared and instructed I must call the number provided. I could not get it off my screen until I shut down and rebooted.

I immediately ran scans and nothing appeared.

You have a virus or a malware problem.

I would run a malware scan.

We had a problem like this a few years ago on CC. Not to toot my horn but I was the first to diagnose a VERY insidious little malware bug that prompted us to run a scan. It was called a 'drive by'. You literally got it by running the mouse over an ad. Your regular protection couldn't solve it because it would re-route you without your knowledge.

Edited by luddite

...that 1) It is indeed going on at the site, and not just my computer; and

2) That there are easy fixes to prevent it, and

3) That there are a lot of nice people out there to give you a hand, FAST, and

4) That maybe I ain't crazy after all! (Well, I might in fact be crazy, just not having some hallucination about THIS! :D )

Thanks, everybody...

I haven't run into this problem. I'm using Waterfox with Win 7.1 Pro. I also have two independent firewalls , antivirus malware etc detectors on my computer. If your using Win XP any version , there are security holes so big that a aircraft carrier can go thru. Keep in mind that Win 10 is coming out at the end of July.

...While I will take my laptop to the shop if it seems needed, the pop-up ads intruded and "took over" when my cursor was in the log-in box at top right-- there were no ads of any kind, much less computer security-related ads, anywhere near the cursor when logging in.

However, I shall remain vigilant.

"Eternal vigilance is the price of doing business in the internet age"-- "jeph"

I haven't run into this problem. I'm using Waterfox with Win 7.1 Pro. I also have two independent firewalls , antivirus malware etc detectors on my computer. If your using Win XP any version , there are security holes so big that a aircraft carrier can go thru. Keep in mind that Win 10 is coming out at the end of July.

I thought Windows XP is extinct? Didn't Microsoft stop supporting it last year? Many of us had to switch to Windows 7 or now 8 and soon to be 10.

Edited by sail7seas

I thought Windows XP is extinct? Didn't Microsoft stop supporting it last year? Many of us had to switch to Windows 7 or now 8 and soon to be 10.

There still are people and computers that still run Win XP. Some Canadian banks still run XP for there teller systems.

Seems a bit risky running it knowing it is no longer supported and no fixes for hacking available. :eek:

I'm amazed to hear a bank would still use it.

Edited by sail7seas

Yes, a similar incident was reported on the Celebrity board and a host said thank you for bringing it to their attention and it would be looked into.

By the way, you might consider installing "AdBlock Plus" on your computer - it is completely free and I do not get the annoying ads anymore. In fact, it has a counter and I can see how many ads are blocked on each page. This one has 5 blocked ads, but I've seen double digits before! It's great, and free as I mentioned.

Google it - it's the first hit. :)

Wonderful tool. Very helpful in getting rid of those annoying popups or adds placed somewhere on a page, including on this site. But, it doesn't get them all. I also have AdBlock, which is the original product before one of the developers split off to come up with his own product by adding "Plus" onto the name. Right now I have three ads being blocked by AdBlock as I type this. I don't see any ads of any kind. AdBlock Plus doesn't show any being blocked.

Together they work great.

Edited by SantaFeFan

I've had a less sinister version of this problem. In the past couple of days when I'm on CC I get a pop-up that I've won a facebook sweepstakes. I am supposed to click to accept my prize. I can't back button away from it. I must close the browser on my Nook. In a year and a half, this is the first virus-like problem I've had with my little tablet. It only happens on cruise critic.

Vicki

I also had strange pop-ups (won a prize?) yesterday and this evening. On my pc and tablet. Hopefully I didn't get a virus [emoji45]

Off topic, but related scam. I had a phone call a few days ago. Very excited person with SE Asian accent: " You have a problem with windows!" I patiently explained to him that we had recently had all of our windows washed and I was sure that they were fine. He tried to convince me that he knew of a problem I hadn't detected, but I assured him that my window washers are quite professional, and offered to give him their name and address. He hung up. I later checked my computer (iMac) and tablet (iPad) and phone ( iPhone), and confirmed that none of them had been transmogrified into Windows machines. He must have confused me with someone else.[emoji57]

Wonderful tool. Very helpful in getting rid of those annoying popups or adds placed somewhere on a page, including on this site. But, it doesn't get them all. I also have AdBlock, which is the original product before one of the developers split off to come up with his own product by adding "Plus" onto the name. Right now I have three ads being blocked by AdBlock as I type this. I don't see any ads of any kind. AdBlock Plus doesn't show any being blocked.

Together they work great.

I found AdBlockPlus was slowing down Firefox quite badly. uBlock does as well, if not better and is not such a resource hog.

BTW, I've not had any nasty pop-up on the CC site.

Off topic, but related scam. I had a phone call a few days ago. Very excited person with SE Asian accent: " You have a problem with windows!" I patiently explained to him that we had recently had all of our windows washed and I was sure that they were fine. He tried to convince me that he knew of a problem I hadn't detected, but I assured him that my window washers are quite professional, and offered to give him their name and address. He hung up. I later checked my computer (iMac) and tablet (iPad) and phone ( iPhone), and confirmed that none of them had been transmogrified into Windows machines. He must have confused me with someone else.

Get those same calls about 2/3 times a month also from Bangladesh.

Tell them the same as you do, just to "stroke" them.

They really can't figure out when they tell me to "right click" my mouse

and I tell them that I can not do it because it bites me when I "right click".

Seems a bit risky running it knowing it is no longer supported and no fixes for hacking available. :eek:

I'm amazed to hear a bank would still use it.

There are many large companies still running XP; lots of hardware to upgrade and takes time. M$ continue to support those entities on contract.

I have two laptops with XP that runs my telescopes, can't use anything else as the telescope drives/drivers are no longer available.

Edited by Philob

My computer technician stated you shouldn't run anti-virus and anti-pop-up or adware at the same time.

I have Kaspersky (and it runs continuously), but he removed Spybot from my computer, so I do now get a lot of ad pop-ups. He told me I could go to Spybot and download, run the software, then delete it, but who wants to do that each week.

It's very confusing for a computer illiterate to know what to do. I know just enough about computers to get into serious trouble (which I have a couple of times). I did learn that the phone calls were a scam, when I talked to the IT guy at work.

I did get that same warning message, but was able to hit CTRL & delete simultaneously three times to engage the Task Manager and was finally able to get rid of the pop-up warning screen.

As someone else commented, it is the price we pay to play on the Internet in this day and age of electronics.

My computer technician stated you shouldn't run anti-virus and anti-pop-up or adware at the same time.

<snip>

Never heard that one and I have taught IT for 20 years.

Generally, it is not good practice to run two different anti-virus programs at the same time.

I run Avast anti-virus (free); uBlock ad-blocker and the Windows firewall at the same time. I run a weekly scan with Malwarebytes and have (touch wood) never had a problem.

Hello all:

I think I may have pinpointed the specific rogue ad being served that caused these issues and have asked that it be blocked from our site. We did this yesterday afternoon, so we hope we got the right one.

It is now 8:37am ET Tuesday -- if you have issues after this time please post here.

Laura