Airline Question

fcupersmith

Traveling on the Vision of Seas returning October 18. Is it too ambitious to schedule a 920 flight out of Ft Lauderdale? Price difference to a later flight is a lot more expensive. Any chance I can make it? Traveling by myself so no family to drag along. Thanks for the help!

i have disembarked & cleared Customs within 30 minutes @ Port Everglades and another time experienced long lines with wait exceeding 2 hours....:confused:

have to agree with many others ~ would not chance it and opt for a later flight

Edited by 2004corvette

Does anyone have a good estimate for what time one would be through customs after self carrying luggage at 7:30? Might provide a good idea for how much time OP realistically has to travel to the airport and make it through security.

That's the problem, the customs time can vary widely. Sometimes we're through in 10 minutes, other times 90 minutes.

I have done it off Oasis. My wife and I were probably the 40th people off the ship. We were second to customs, and the first taxi to leave. From doors opening to the airport was just 20 minutes.

To be that fast, you must be able to haul all of your luggage with one hand, you must have one hand free, or they will not let you take the escalator and the elevator takes much longer and clumps you up. We strap our bags one on top of the other, so we each were only pulling one handle each.

Be sure you know the airline's rules for being late, though. Some airlines will let you fly standby later in the day. Some will cancel your trip and you will be SOL. I think some will let you pay a fee and get a confirmed seat later in the day. If they will only let you fly standby, if you don't get on a flight by 11am, you will probably not get out for the rest of the day, or if you do it'll be the last flight out, but you will have to sit by the gates all day waiting for your name to be called.

Late standbys have a very low priority (just one step above vacationing employees) and usually the flights out of FLL on Saturday and Sunday are oversold after 11am. Those oversells roll to the next flight, requiring more people to be bumped from the next flight, etc. Eventually all the oversells will get out, but that doesn't mean Revenue-Lates will.

I have done it off Oasis. My wife and I were probably the 40th people off the ship. We were second to customs, and the first taxi to leave. From doors opening to the airport was just 20 minutes.

To be that fast, you must be able to haul all of your luggage with one hand, you must have one hand free, or they will not let you take the escalator and the elevator takes much longer and clumps you up. We strap our bags one on top of the other, so we each were only pulling one handle each.

Be sure you know the airline's rules for being late, though. Some airlines will let you fly standby later in the day. Some will cancel your trip and you will be SOL. I think some will let you pay a fee and get a confirmed seat later in the day. If they will only let you fly standby, if you don't get on a flight by 11am, you will probably not get out for the rest of the day, or if you do it'll be the last flight out, but you will have to sit by the gates all day waiting for your name to be called.

Late standbys have a very low priority (just one step above vacationing employees) and usually the flights out of FLL on Saturday and Sunday are oversold after 11am. Those oversells roll to the next flight, requiring more people to be bumped from the next flight, etc. Eventually all the oversells will get out, but that doesn't mean Revenue-Lates will.

Oasis and Allure generally begin the debarkation process earlier than other ships. OP is on Vision.

We just returned from the Vision on Monday. Being in a Suite we were group 2, just after those self disembarking. That group didn't even start until about 8:00 am and we were called at 8:15 am. The line for customs was VERY long already. I think there were 3 customs agents. We grabbed a porter who got us to the front of the custom's line and then got us to a cab. It was still almost 9:00am before we got to the airport and we still had to check bags and get thru TSA. I think we got to the gate just after 9:40 am for an 11:30 am flight. There is no way I would try for anything before 10:30 am even with self disembarking.

Edited by Ski-Lady

While we're kind of on the airline/baggage question: What is this luggage transfer from ship to not seeing your luggage until you get to your home airport program ? Sounds great. Has anyone done this and any glitches to be prepared for ? Sailing on Oasis August 22, 2015. Thanks.

Edited by buckeye rob

While we're kind of on the airline/baggage question: What is this luggage transfer from ship to not seeing your luggage until you get to your home airport program ? Sounds great. Has anyone done this and any glitches to be prepared for ? Sailing on Oasis August 22, 2015. Thanks.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do?pagename=luggage_valet_service

I believe the cost is $20 per person.

Edited by clarea

I've done this several times - sailing both Allure and Oasis. Luggage outside door by 11PM and next time we saw it was on the luggage carousel (Reagan National for Oasis last year, Laguardia for Allure this year).

Worked perfectly each time. IMHO worth every penny.

My experience.

I recently returned from the Vision on a Thursday (9/11). Even with a delay getting off the ship, I was sitting at Southwest's gate by 8:30. Customs was a breeze, a short cab ride to the airport a breeze, and no lines at Southwest's counter.

I recommend that you get in line at the Centrum EARLY to self-disembark so you will be first off the ship.

I know that things can go wrong, but I easily made my 10:30 flite.

Edited by muladybug

I've done it........best $20 I ever spent.

That's the problem, the customs time can vary widely. Sometimes we're through in 10 minutes, other times 90 minutes.

We always self disembark, and doing so, are among the first to go through customs. As such, we have never waited more than 10 min or so, and often less. I realize that is no guarantee, but it does lead me to believe that if you self disembark, and are prepared to be among the first of the self disembarkers to actually leave the ship, you probably won't have much of a wait at customs. This is based on my personal experience only, so take it for whatever that's worth to you. ;)

Security at FLL is a whole 'nother ball game though. I've gotten there super early and the line at terminal 2 has been wrapped around the lobby. Other times it's been practically non-existent.

My experience.

I recently returned from the Vision on a Thursday (9/11). Even with a delay getting off the ship, I was sitting at Southwest's gate by 8:30. Customs was a breeze, a short cab ride to the airport a breeze, and no lines at Southwest's counter.

I recommend that you get in line at the Centrum EARLY to self-disembark so you will be first off the ship.

I know that things can go wrong, but I easily made my 10:30 flite.

However 10:30 is a lot later then 9:20.

... I realize that is no guarantee, but it does lead me to believe that if you self disembark, and are prepared to be among the first of the self disembarkers to actually leave the ship, you probably won't have much of a wait at customs....

I agree with your assessment. I've seen that on Liberty disembarkations where the wait gets longer and longer as the time gets later.