Private Tour Lesson Learned

We recently spent two days in St Petersburg on SPb's Deluxe Tour. It was an amazing experience in every way ....... except one.

Upon returning to the ship on day two, we all realized we never got to ride on the subway. Not a huge deal, but very disappointing. It was never discussed by the guide, we experienced no traffic delays, we never dawdled at a stop, lingered over lunch or took extra shopping time.

I e-mailed my concern to Viktoria upon my return. ( 2 times). (I did receive an acknowledgement from the office that she would get back to me in the coming weeks.) It took almost three weeks, and another e-mail for her to reply with an explanation that the delay in communication was caused because it is their busy time. ( Hmmmmmm ..... before I spent my money I received replies within 24 hours.)

Anyway, there was an apology and an offer of a gift (for me, not the 10 other friends for whom I arranged the tour). She said there was just no reason for missing the subway, the guide had the tokens, we just didn't go.

So lesson learned, no matter which company you book with, no matter how stellar they are reported to be, go over your itinerary and expectations with your guide.

Missing the subway ride wasn't the end of the world (at least we didn't miss the entire port :eek:). We trusted that SPb would deliver the tour we confirmed, and were too tired to notice until it was too late. What was more disappointing was the lack of response from this top-rated company.

You had a day and a half to ask when the subway ride would happen. If it was a big deal, or even little deal, why didn't you ask?

Did you read my post? - I said it wasn't the end of the world. I explained that we thought they would deliver what they had confirmed Have you done SPb? It is exhausting, and the itinerary is very long. The post was to point out that I should have been more diligent. Hence the title "Lesson Learned".

I agree. The many wonderful sights, and you are not happy with missing a subway ride?

Am I happy that we missed a sight listed on our confirmation, No. Are you happy when someone doesn't provide a service promised?

Again, read my post - it says the tour was amazing in every other way. I am more disappointed in the response (or lack of). We assumed there must have been a reason and gave SPb an opportunity to provide one.

Geeeesh, a simple statement of fact, and hint for others, and the critics are already jumping on my back! :rolleyes:

Hopefully others will be more pro-active than we were - that's all.

We are using Alla Tour next year and am looking forward to seeing the subway. I would have verified the itinerary on the first day; but I have done lots of private tours and verify early, while there is still time to modify.

I agree with you that you certainly didn't get the post-tour service you should have received from what is considered a good tour company. I will say that I don't know what they could do to correct for this after the tour. They should certainly reply to you promptly and apologize or give an acceptable reason for the itinerary change.

We are using Alla Tour next year and am looking forward to seeing the subway. I would have verified the itinerary on the first day; but I have done lots of private tours and verify early, while there is still time to modify.

I agree with you that you certainly didn't get the post-tour service you should have received from what is considered a good tour company. I will say that I don't know what they could do to correct for this after the tour. They should certainly reply to you promptly and apologize or give an acceptable reason for the itinerary change.

We are also touring with Alla next year, and the subway wasn't listed on our original suggested itinerary. I asked about putting it at the end of day 2, instead of returning to the ship at 4:30, and Alla did so. I will be sure to go over the itinerary with our guide on the first day. (Mike, I'll be in Helsinki on Vision of the Seas the same day as you on Eclipse. Maybe we'll run into each other!) :D

Thank you, sippican, for pointing out your lesson learned. It's a shame you didn't receive the same attention from the tour company once your tour was over as you did before you arrived in St. Petersburg.

(Mike, I'll be in Helsinki on Vision of the Seas the same day as you on Eclipse. Maybe we'll run into each other!) :D

Hi Nancy,

That sounds great! We will be on an Alla tour there also. I am marking down on my schedule that you will be in port the same day as us.

Mike

We will be using SPB tours when we go on our cruise in two weeks. We will make sure to verify the itinerary each day.

I work as a tour guide in the US. Sometimes we have to alter or change the itineray situations occur. I usually let the participant know this as it occurs. Sometimes they will point it out to me, or remind me we were supposed to see this particular monument. It is always a good idea to be pro-active when you are receiving a service like this.

Personally, looking at the jam-packed itinerary for Spb, I don't think I would be that concerned about missing one point of interest, such as the subway, but that is just me!!!

So sorry you had any disappointment at all...We did a private tour (just DH and myself) with TJ Travel...and added the subway as well as a few other things that happened to just pop up like the post office, supermarket and a mall...We had a very active intense 2 days and still managed these extras...one of the great perks of a private tour is flexibility and one our great guide and driver handled with ease...We even got a Xmas card after our August visit...Now that's the mark of a company looking for your future business and recommendations !!

So sorry you had any disappointment at all...We did a private tour (just DH and myself) with TJ Travel...and added the subway as well as a few other things that happened to just pop up like the post office, supermarket and a mall...We had a very active intense 2 days and still managed these extras...one of the great perks of a private tour is flexibility and one our great guide and driver handled with ease...We even got a Xmas card after our August visit...Now that's the mark of a company looking for your future business and recommendations !!

We are considering doing a private tour just for the two of us and have contact a number of companies. Can you share how you structured your day with TJ Travel, and where you went? What was the best thing about TJ Travel and where do they need to improve? Is it worth seeing the subway? We would use the private tour for a day in SPB--the Churches, shopping etc. Thanks so much!

We will be using SPB tours when we go on our cruise in two weeks. We will make sure to verify the itinerary each day.

I work as a tour guide in the US. Sometimes we have to alter or change the itineray situations occur. I usually let the participant know this as it occurs. Sometimes they will point it out to me, or remind me we were supposed to see this particular monument. It is always a good idea to be pro-active when you are receiving a service like this.

Personally, looking at the jam-packed itinerary for Spb, I don't think I would be that concerned about missing one point of interest, such as the subway, but that is just me!!!

That is something I learned taking many tours. Sometimes itineraries have to be changed on the fly. Traffic, demonstrations, local holidays, weather and even from others on the tour taking too many bathroom breaks. It is often unavoidable.

That is something I learned taking many tours. Sometimes itineraries have to be changed on the fly. Traffic, demonstrations, local holidays, weather and even from others on the tour taking too many bathroom breaks. It is often unavoidable.

true Charles.... like riots in Athens :D

I understand what you are saying Sippican. Being overwhelmed with the sights can cause one to lose their train of thought, and you simply forget. But Charles is correct, sometimes we change on the fly.

Make a note for the next time... "do subway":)

And tour companies... "always remember to under promise and over deliver"

I understand about the need for flexibility when one is touring. We always DIY or use private tour companies. There has been occasion where we needed to alter plans (missed half of the Amalfi Coast last year due to huge traffic jams), but the tour guides/drivers have always kept us informed, or offered alternatives. We kept to a very brisk and time oriented schedule in SPb, completely driven by our guide (who was excellent); we met at the times directed and never requested extra breaks or mor tme at any stop. We never encountered traffic, or waited in lines, so I guess we'll never really know why.

In any case, the delayed response was most disappointing.

We can always keep the SPB subway on our "bucket list", but not sure we'll ever get back there since our list is very long :D !

Good advice, sippican.

I was impressed with SPB tours because we are using them for all the Baltic ports. We do not pay them until the second day in St. Petersburg. So I would think they would want to deliver a good product in order to get paid!!! And of course a negative review on this board or Tripadvisor would be death to their business.

We begin our cruise on Aug 20. I will post a review about SPB when I return. I will be sure to ask for the subway tour!!!!!

OP-I know you said it didn't take away from your St. Petersburg exerience but you did miss out on a neat part of the Russian life experience. We rode the subway and saw 3 stations. Amazing, beautiful and spotless.

We also went with TJ Travels and they were amazing and I can recommend them VERY highly along with Ksenyia our wonderful guide. We also asked to stop at a farmers market, grocery store and a McDonalds, all wonderful examples of their normal life but were not a part of our "tour" package.

We are considering doing a private tour just for the two of us and have contact a number of companies. Can you share how you structured your day with TJ Travel, and where you went? What was the best thing about TJ Travel and where do they need to improve? Is it worth seeing the subway? We would use the private tour for a day in SPB--the Churches, shopping etc. Thanks so much!

Since it was our first visit we wanted to see and do as much as possible in those two days..On their website they offered a variety of itineraries...We went with their suggestion for their "Active Tour" and did we see it all !! Can't think of anything we missed..It was so well organized and executed..and it really did make a difference that there were just the two of us...Our driver would literally drop us and our guide off at the entrance to all venues, at times even pulling up onto the sidewalk (yes..they do that in Russia) and was there waiting at the exits with doors opened and off we went to our next stop..We were wisked to the front of any lines there happen to be and inside..the doors magically opened when they saw our guide approaching with us..NEVER have we had this kind of VIP treatment...Even on the Hydrofoil..we were ushered on first and given the front seats...The relationship these private guides have with everyone is amazing...Improvement needed...nothing I can imagine..They go way beyond expectations to assure you have a trip of a lifetime and we certainly did..Saying goodbye to Anna & Igor at the end of our 2nd day was hard..we hugged and said goodbye to our two new best friends in Russia....You are in for a treat...prepare yourself :D

OP-I know you said it didn't take away from your St. Petersburg exerience but you did miss out on a neat part of the Russian life experience. We rode the subway and saw 3 stations. Amazing, beautiful and spotless.

Thanks for your comment.

Sorry as I am to have missed it, it helps to know that it was more than "just a subway ride", as others may think. I'm not sure any other countries have such a unique experience.

We are also touring with Alla next year, and the subway wasn't listed on our original suggested itinerary. I asked about putting it at the end of day 2, instead of returning to the ship at 4:30, and Alla did so. I will be sure to go over the itinerary with our guide on the first day. (Mike, I'll be in Helsinki on Vision of the Seas the same day as you on Eclipse. Maybe we'll run into each other!) :D

Thank you, sippican, for pointing out your lesson learned. It's a shame you didn't receive the same attention from the tour company once your tour was over as you did before you arrived in St. Petersburg.

We had an Alla tour in June/July thus year in SPB, the subway was listed on our tour for first thing I the morning, it was worth seeing but not a deal breaker. I can highly recommend Alla, they were brilliant and also organised a ballet ticket for us with transport in the evening.

Thanks for your comment.

Sorry as I am to have missed it, it helps to know that it was more than "just a subway ride", as others may think. I'm not sure any other countries have such a unique experience.

Very true statement. These subways are museums/art galleries in their own right. People of Athens are proud of their subway. (Incorporated into Archeological digs, I enjoyed the quick run down into the system to see.)

We had an Alla tour in June/July thus year in SPB, the subway was listed on our tour for first thing I the morning, it was worth seeing but not a deal breaker. I can highly recommend Alla, they were brilliant and also organised a ballet ticket for us with transport in the evening.

Thanks for the recommendation. Alla has been very easy to communicate with so far,

Very true statement. These subways are museums/art galleries in their own right. People of Athens are proud of their subway. (Incorporated into Archeological digs, I enjoyed the quick run down into the system to see.)

That is good to know. At this point, we are more likely to visit Athens in the future, than get back to SPb.

We recently spent two days in St Petersburg on SPb's Deluxe Tour. It was an amazing experience in every way ....... except one.

Upon returning to the ship on day two, we all realized we never got to ride on the subway. Not a huge deal, but very disappointing. It was never discussed by the guide, we experienced no traffic delays, we never dawdled at a stop, lingered over lunch or took extra shopping time.

I e-mailed my concern to Viktoria upon my return. ( 2 times). (I did receive an acknowledgement from the office that she would get back to me in the coming weeks.) It took almost three weeks, and another e-mail for her to reply with an explanation that the delay in communication was caused because it is their busy time. ( Hmmmmmm ..... before I spent my money I received replies within 24 hours.)

Anyway, there was an apology and an offer of a gift (for me, not the 10 other friends for whom I arranged the tour). She said there was just no reason for missing the subway, the guide had the tokens, we just didn't go.

So lesson learned, no matter which company you book with, no matter how stellar they are reported to be, go over your itinerary and expectations with your guide.

Missing the subway ride wasn't the end of the world (at least we didn't miss the entire port :eek:). We trusted that SPb would deliver the tour we confirmed, and were too tired to notice until it was too late. What was more disappointing was the lack of response from this top-rated company.

It is very disappointing that once you had done the tour the response was so slow in coming - I guess the only positive thing that can be said was the Viktoria didn't make up a reason for missing the subway, but told you the truth.

I can understand your disappointment and think your lesson learned is one that we all need to know.

Some activities are more important to one person than to another and anytime we do a privately booked tour we should jot down specifically what is most important to us and find out when during the tour we will see/do it.

We went last summer with Alla and being from NY, the subway ride was one of the things I most wanted to do. Yet, I just assumed we would do it and didn't ask "when". We did do it, in fact it was the 2nd or 3rd "stop", but the entire 2 days were so jam packed I can see not realizing we had missed seeing something until several days later.

We are doing the Med this fall and now I will jot down the 2 or 3 things I do not want to overlook in each port, thanks to your post.

BTW, not to make you feel bad about missing it, but for me, the subway was one of the most amazing things in StP. The contrast between gorgeous subway platforms and old but pristine train cars was hard for my mind to process. And the looks on the faces of the (mostly) men who were clearly off to work on a Sunday morning - pure misery for the most part, not even the slightest curiousity shown - reminded me of the average New Yorker who sees a tourist on the subway. Other than the Hermitage, it was my fav stop.

It is very disappointing that once you had done the tour the response was so slow in coming - I guess the only positive thing that can be said was the Viktoria didn't make up a reason for missing the subway, but told you the truth.

I can understand your disappointment and think your lesson learned is one that we all need to know.

Some activities are more important to one person than to another and anytime we do a privately booked tour we should jot down specifically what is most important to us and find out when during the tour we will see/do it.

We went last summer with Alla and being from NY, the subway ride was one of the things I most wanted to do. Yet, I just assumed we would do it and didn't ask "when". We did do it, in fact it was the 2nd or 3rd "stop", but the entire 2 days were so jam packed I can see not realizing we had missed seeing something until several days later.

We are doing the Med this fall and now I will jot down the 2 or 3 things I do not want to overlook in each port, thanks to your post.

BTW, not to make you feel bad about missing it, but for me, the subway was one of the most amazing things in StP. The contrast between gorgeous subway platforms and old but pristine train cars was hard for my mind to process. And the looks on the faces of the (mostly) men who were clearly off to work on a Sunday morning - pure misery for the most part, not even the slightest curiousity shown - reminded me of the average New Yorker who sees a tourist on the subway. Other than the Hermitage, it was my fav stop.

I agree. We also toured with Alla and the subway was amazing. We saw and did everything on our tour itinerary as promised.

Our 2 days in SPB were so busy that like the OP, I may not have realized we missed something until after the fact. So, I can certainly understand and sympathize.

We also toured with SPB the same week as Sippican and although on a different bus, after 2 days of intense siteseeing, I was glad that the subway ride wasn't brought up;) I am sure that it would have been fine, but having ridden on subways all over Europe (mind the gap!) I can't imagine it was all that - no matter how it is decorated, etc. I am sure it is a lot of subway trains, with a lot of people rushing around just trying to get where they need to go. We took the canal cruise and the ferry to Peterhop, and that was much more appealing to me. Everything that we did for those 2 days in St. Pete was fabulous and our guide, Maria, was very good. Thinking back I can't imagine what I would have wanted to cut short in order to ride on the subway. For anyone using SPB, you don't need to worry, you will have a great experience. And if you really want to go on the subway, you may want to bring it up to your guide early on the 2nd day.

WOW, you missed the subway, boohoo.

Not to slam you, but why don't you talk about what you liked on your SPB tour also.

We did a private 5 person tour through SPB. We even made the subway trip. You know what, its a subway. The only interesting thing was how deep the station was and the speed of the escalator.

I think a bus of 20 takes a bit longer than our van of 5. We saw all the promised sites and had no extra time left.

As far as the email, sure she could have gotten back to you quickly.

I know at my job when I'm really busy things do slip between the cracks.

I'm sure its happened to you also.

How was the rest of your cruise? I would be more interested in that then weather or not you got an email apology in a timely manner.

Just my opinion and you know, everybody has one :)

Rich

Archived