LA vs Long Beach, flying into

Muumuu

Pros to LGB:

Smaller airport - easier to navigate

Closer to port

Cons to LGB:

Less service, thus fewer flight options

JetBlue is the big dog at LGB, with east coast non-stops to BOS and JFK. AA only flies in from PHX, DL only from SLC and WN only from Oakland.

Since I don't fly in/out of LGB (though I did years ago with jetAmerica) I can't speak to rental car pricing, lodging or shuttle transportation costs.

I love LGB. Great tiny airport. One of my girlfriends lives about a mile away, so she picks me up most of the time. I rented a car once - the vendors were just outside to the left of the terminal - a tiny walk.

Best thing of LGB for me is the very cool little wine bar, 4th Street Vine. A great little place! Nice outside seating, a fire garden, good selection of wines by the glass and tapas. Free internet too. I will get to LGB a good 2 hours ahead, grab a seat, order some wine and tapas and sit there, relax and do some reading.

If you can swing your flights in/out of LGB, I'd do it. I personally abhor LAX...

Just check the price difference to see if it's (LGB) worth it to you. I prefer to use BUR when I can but sometimes the cost/connections isn't worth it when we fly and LAX ends up being the best option. JMHO.

Just check the price difference to see if it's (LGB) worth it to you. I prefer to use BUR when I can but sometimes the cost/connections isn't worth it when we fly and LAX ends up being the best option. JMHO.

Agree. Just pick whatever option will be cheaper.

I just love LGB.

It's a small, quaint, romantic little airport.

It's been a couple of years but I remember no jet ways. You walk up stairs to board the plane.

Baggage claim is outside under the palm trees.

Taxis about 50 feet from baggage claim. 15 minute ride to hotels or port.

There's also Orange County, which is about the same distance as LAX but in the opposite direction. LGB certainly wins out of them all, but I would put the backup as Orange County, not LAX.

SNA is an often-overlooked choice. When I was a kid, the first flight of the day out of there at 7am served as my alarm clock - the flight path was right over our apartment. It's right there off the 405, so go right up from there to port. Depending on the time of day you are driving, you are subject to the "driving north to work" traffic jams. But, those aren't as bad as the traffic jams around LAX.