Tips for 1st NCL Cruise on Escape

Hi,

We have our first NCL cruise on Nov 25th on Escape. It's just me and hubby. We have cruised 3 times. Twice on RCL Allure & Oasis with our 3 older teen children. We cruised once last Dec on Celebrity Eclipse with just me and hubby.

Now that I have the airfare booked I know the cruise is going to happen. We are flying in the day before arriving at 2:00 PM in Miami. I am still trying to find a good deal on a hotel.

We have 13270 BE balcony cabin through a TA beginning with Price. We got a great deal of 799 before taxes. We got 2 perks - the beverage & prepaid tips. I am hoping to bid on a Haven. I think they do participate in the bidding.

I'm am thinking of purchasing a dining package and maybe the Spa package. If I get the Haven then I may not spend the extra for the Spa package.

Also, I'd like to get passed for the Vibe but my hubby will not be as anxious as me.

Can you please share some of your best tips and secrets to help us make this the best cruise ever?

Thanks for your feedback.

If you are not trying for Vibe passes, show up at the port around 10:15 to avoid the crowds.

Look at your eDocs carefully since NCL uses both Terminal B and C for boarding the Escape (your room keys are at one terminal only).

Buy an SDP and try some of the specialty dining rooms. The most popular are Cagney's Steakhouse and Teppanyaki. We used our SDP at Pincho's Tapas Bar for lunch and kept ordering small plates until we rolled out of the restaurant.

Food Republic is another fun restaurant with small plates, but it is not covered by the SDP.

We always tell folks to try every bar during the first 2 days of the cruise, then go back to the ones that you like.

If Vibe is sold out ask to go on waiting list. Just read a review about that.

Spend sometime on the waterfront having cocktails.

BirdTravels make a great point about boarding terminals.

Escape was our best cruise out of the 10 we've done.

Specialty dining is worth it.

If you have to wait for a few minutes for MDR, there is a bar right between the 2.

If you order a drink over the $15.00 limit you pay the difference plus 18%

Ex: Chocolate Martini is $17.95 You pay 2.95 +18%=3.48

Deck 19 right outside Vibe has a bar and isn't as crowed as the pool area. It has hot tubs no pool.

If you are interested in bidding for upgrades, check out the haven spa suites. You'll get spa access as well as haven access, plus all the normal suite amenities. For what is typically a much lower price than other haven suite categories. You'll be located a deck below the haven proper, but it's still very close!

Hi,

We have our first NCL cruise on Nov 25th on Escape. It's just me and hubby. We have cruised 3 times. Twice on RCL Allure & Oasis with our 3 older teen children. We cruised once last Dec on Celebrity Eclipse with just me and hubby.

Now that I have the airfare booked I know the cruise is going to happen. We are flying in the day before arriving at 2:00 PM in Miami. I am still trying to find a good deal on a hotel.

We have 13270 BE balcony cabin through a TA beginning with Price. We got a great deal of 799 before taxes. We got 2 perks - the beverage & prepaid tips. I am hoping to bid on a Haven. I think they do participate in the bidding.

I'm am thinking of purchasing a dining package and maybe the Spa package. If I get the Haven then I may not spend the extra for the Spa package.

Also, I'd like to get passed for the Vibe but my hubby will not be as anxious as me.

Can you please share some of your best tips and secrets to help us make this the best cruise ever?

Thanks for your feedback.

Re: Bidding on Haven upgrades. I'd suggest not planning too heavily on getting one if you do bid. From what I've been able to determine about the whole "bidding on upgrades" mess (can you tell I don't think it's a great idea?), most of the upgrading seems to happen between interiors, ocean views, and balcony cabins. The Haven almost always sails fully booked, and the number of stories of successful Haven upgrades are few.

You'll get better suggestions and tips if you tell us what itinerary you're on: Eastern or Western Caribbean?

Re: Bidding on Haven upgrades. I'd suggest not planning too heavily on getting one if you do bid. From what I've been able to determine about the whole "bidding on upgrades" mess (can you tell I don't think it's a great idea?), most of the upgrading seems to happen between interiors, ocean views, and balcony cabins. The Haven almost always sails fully booked, and the number of stories of successful Haven upgrades are few.

You'll get better suggestions and tips if you tell us what itinerary you're on: Eastern or Western Caribbean?

Hi - We are on an 8 night Eastern. Our ports are St. Kitt, St. Marten, San Juan, and Labadee. Thank you for your feedback.

Hi - We are on an 8 night Eastern. Our ports are St. Kitt, St. Marten, San Juan, and Labadee. Thank you for your feedback.

I'm not familiar with that itinerary. Are you sure the ship is the NCL Escape? Labadee is a private stop for Royal Caribbean cruise ships and NCL does not go there.

That itinerary does match the 8 night Eastern Caribbean itinerary offered on Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas ship. There is a separate forum for Royal Caribbean cruises if that's the one you're on.

I'm not familiar with that itinerary. Are you sure the ship is the NCL Escape? Labadee is a private stop for Royal Caribbean cruise ships and NCL does not go there.

That itinerary does match the 8 night Eastern Caribbean itinerary offered on Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas ship. There is a separate forum for Royal Caribbean cruises if that's the one you're on.

I'm sorry. I have another cruise booked next year with the family and that is an 8 Night Eastern on RCCL Freedom. The cruise I have November 25 on NCL with me and hubby is an Eastern on Escape. The ports are St. Thomas, Tortola and Bahamas. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for your feedback.

Heya! Here are my top 'first time NCL' tips. (Could never fit them all in this box)

Most important thing being... book the shows early! You do not want to miss out!!

http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/12/04/8-things-ncl/

Hope that helps :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you so much. These were great tips. I can't wait to read your blog. Thanks

The Thermal Spa was one of the best experiences I have had on any cruise. Loved that place!

Find the Food Republic and District Brewhouse early on. They are both excellent.

If you like beautiful uncrowded beaches, book the Rebel Yell Excursion over to Jost Van Dyke. Have a painkiller or two at the Soggy Dollar Bar. My favorite beach anywhere. The ride over on the Rebel Yell is great and you will feel like you have found Paradise.

Attend the big parties at night at Spice H2O. Great fun!

Find out when big events are happening at the Atrium and get there early to get a seat above it and you can enjoy OSheehans while watching the craziness below. Battle of the Sexes, Newlywed Game, all of that stuff.

The Escape is a wonderful ship. We went last October and immediately rebooked when we got back. I even have the same cabin. And I cant wait to get back to the Spa.

You are going to have a blast.

You have an angled balcony cabin. Keep it! It is about 30% larger than standard balcony cabins. You can fit a lounge chair out there on Escape.

Don't miss Food Republic (which is not included as part of the dining package), and don't miss The District Brewhouse.

The Thermal Spa was one of the best experiences I have had on any cruise. Loved that place!

Find the Food Republic and District Brewhouse early on. They are both excellent.

If you like beautiful uncrowded beaches, book the Rebel Yell Excursion over to Jost Van Dyke. Have a painkiller or two at the Soggy Dollar Bar. My favorite beach anywhere. The ride over on the Rebel Yell is great and you will feel like you have found Paradise.

Attend the big parties at night at Spice H2O. Great fun!

Find out when big events are happening at the Atrium and get there early to get a seat above it and you can enjoy OSheehans while watching the craziness below. Battle of the Sexes, Newlywed Game, all of that stuff.

The Escape is a wonderful ship. We went last October and immediately rebooked when we got back. I even have the same cabin. And I cant wait to get back to the Spa.

You are going to have a blast.

Thank you for all the great tips. I cannot find the Rebel Yell excursion. Is it through the cruise line? What port is it at? Thanks :)

Thank you for all the great tips. I cannot find the Rebel Yell excursion. Is it through the cruise line? What port is it at? Thanks :)

Yes through the cruiseline.

Port is Tortola!

Keep checking if the first one is sold out they may add another. In that case the first leaves at 7:15, the 2nd at 9:15.

You get 3 hours at JVD.

I'm sailing Escape 7/1/2018 and I just think planning on a vibe pass is too much pressure. If you don't get it, and that's a real possibility, then you have disappointment within the first hour of what should be a joyous cruise.

While I know hanging out at the pool is almost impossible with such a limited amount of space, there are other areas to enjoy the sun.

Everyone is aware of Spice H2o, which sounds wonderful and there's also an area on deck 19 in the front of the ship outside of vibe that looks great too. There's 2 whirlpools there and I believe there's a bar there too. I'm actually thinking this could be my go to place to sunbathe if there is really a bar there. Anyone know this to be true?

Anyway, I want this to be a casual vacation with as little stress as possible and unless my other people really want to get crazy and run for vibe passes, my choice would be to pass on them.

I'm sailing Escape 7/1/2018 and I just think planning on a vibe pass is too much pressure. If you don't get it, and that's a real possibility, then you have disappointment within the first hour of what should be a joyous cruise.

While I know hanging out at the pool is almost impossible with such a limited amount of space, there are other areas to enjoy the sun.

Everyone is aware of Spice H2o, which sounds wonderful and there's also an area on deck 19 in the front of the ship outside of vibe that looks great too. There's 2 whirlpools there and I believe there's a bar there too. I'm actually thinking this could be my go to place to sunbathe if there is really a bar there. Anyone know this to be true?

Anyway, I want this to be a casual vacation with as little stress as possible and unless my other people really want to get crazy and run for vibe passes, my choice would be to pass on them.

There is a bar outside Vibe! The Vibe Bar and that one are only separated by the glass wall.

If you are not trying for Vibe passes, show up at the port around 10:15 to avoid the crowds.

Look at your eDocs carefully since NCL uses both Terminal B and C for boarding the Escape (your room keys are at one terminal only).

Buy an SDP and try some of the specialty dining rooms. The most popular are Cagney's Steakhouse and Teppanyaki. We used our SDP at Pincho's Tapas Bar for lunch and kept ordering small plates until we rolled out of the restaurant.

Food Republic is another fun restaurant with small plates, but it is not covered by the SDP.

We always tell folks to try every bar during the first 2 days of the cruise, then go back to the ones that you like.

Thank you for these great tips!

We aren't interested in Vibe passes as we have a B1 on deck 9. I was planning on getting there earlier than 10:00, so that helps so much, now I won't.

I'll double check eDocs for terminal!

I love the trying out all bars and then find the best one I like. I have a feeling it will be 5 o'clock somewhere though. :D

Escape (same itinerary) was our favorite cruise out of about the 15 we've done. Enjoy!

Vibe was worth it for us and honestly made the cruise, but I agree about the stress of starting out a vacation that way. We had luck with the waitlist. Maybe get there when you want, ask about the waitlist, assume you won't get it, and it will be a nice surprise if you do.

Specialty dining on Escape is GREAT. I'd get the SDP over the prepaid gratuities or just go into it being okay with the specialty dining upcharges. It was worth it! Food Republic especially (not part of SDP anyway).

We did the Rebel Yell excursion at 7:15 and were glad we did! The beach got much, much more crowded as the morning went on. It's a great excursion either way though.