RCCL doubling fares for 2017! Too rich for us

To preface, just got off Liberty in May, our centrum E1 cost us $1450 with our Diamond discount.

Pricing 2017 season, albeit middle of summer, the lowest summer price is:

$1,619.00 USD*

AVG $809.50 / PERSON USD*

+ Taxes, fees and port expenses $199.66 USD*

DEALS INCLUDED

EXCEPT....this is an inside!:eek: If we do the balcony again, it goes to 2800 and that's with their new deal plus Diamond discount and every other discount put in perameters.

RCCL is quickly pricing us right out of cruising!!! Dare I say we may be heading to Carni????? Looks like it. Or maybe now's the time to consider the Mexican rentals. What in blue thunder is going on!!!

Even for land based holidays taken during the summer months, you will find the price is almost double. Each and every week has a separate price depending on time of year and bank holidays etc etc. We have always found the cheaper price is the week after a bank holiday or just before them or out with school holiday times. It pays to price a holiday every day / month to see the comparisons. You will be amazed.

To preface, just got off Liberty in May, our centrum E1 cost us $1450 with our Diamond discount.

$1,619.00 USD*

DEALS INCLUDED

EXCEPT....this is an inside!:eek: If we do the balcony again, it goes to 2800 and that's with their new deal plus Diamond discount and every other discount put in perameters.

RCCL is quickly pricing us right out of cruising!!! Dare I say we may be heading to Carni????? Looks like it. Or maybe now's the time to consider the Mexican rentals. What in blue thunder is going on!!!

That's not double...

$1,619.00 USD*

DEALS INCLUDED

The only way to make such a claim is to compare with the same cabin at the same time of year. Even then if a holiday is involved in 2017 that was not in 2016 prices could increase. Reality is prices will go up as they do with most things.

Read that again dude, the balcony IS double what we paid this year!

Just tried Carnival and their qte for a cove balcony is $2,258.00

TAXES, FEES & PORT EXPENSES: $180.22

TOTAL: $2,438.22

Not too much better but at least we'll save a few dollars.

And for those of you obsessed with semantics, the same date/same cruise/same balcony we had in April... for 2017 is...$2,396.00 That is roughly $1000 more dollars.

And Scotty, we've cruised RCCL once or twice every year since 2004 and we've seen gradual increases over the years as expected, but nothing of this kind.

Edited by BecciBoo

There's ~$350 pp (or ~$700) price difference for double occupancy between a May 7th 2017 and July 16th 2017 for Liberty on the same itinerary.

You cannot compare May and July ever. Summer pricing peaks in July and August.

The only apples to apples comparison is same home port, itinerary, ship (maybe class) and time of year.

Dang, damd if you do damd if you don't, I started using the same April date to placate those of you who griped about apples/oranges....and I wasn't comparing months I was comparing years.

NCL is $2,467.42 for guarantee balcony on Escape....their pricing went from $599 up to $729 pp for inside when you went from 2016 to 2017.

All the pricing above is for last week in April, for an E1 or similar, with all taxes/fees. except my first post which was for July sailing.

I was making an observation and got pelted!

Guess I'll go back over to Celebrity board, they don't seem as critical as you guys. Been a while since posting here.

Edited by BecciBoo

I did the same pricing comparison but for November 2017 when I discovered that our balcony cabin although not double this year's was several hundred dollars more.

I found that only Carnival came out to a couple of hundred dollars less than RCL. Princess, MSC and NCL all came out to the same if not more money than RCL.

Edit- It gets hard these days to compare apples to apples as all cruise lines now seem in include choices of extra items whether you want them or not

Edited by molly361

And for those of you obsessed with semantics, the same date/same cruise/same balcony we had in April... for 2017 is...$2,396.00 That is roughly $1000 more dollars.

And Scotty, we've cruised RCCL once or twice every year since 2004 and we've seen gradual increases over the years as expected, but nothing of this kind.

Not your dude friend....

You compared a I cabin to a balcony... in my mind, no comparison..

I did something similar and got called out for it too... I stood corrected as I compared a full fare balcony to a club royale discounted GS and the difference wasn't much. But a discount club royale balcony to a GS club royale is a big difference to most....

You can get a balcony on Liberty in May 2017 for $2138.80 (includes Diamond discount).

April will cost more than May, but less than July/August. April is the tail end of spring break season.

The cheapest times to sail are going to be when schools are in session. It's best to avoid Spring break, Summer break and the fall/winter holiday sailings.

Edited by nolesrule

Appears same thing is happening at the grocery store. One can hardly afford to eat and restaurant prices are crazy. Often wonder how low income families survive since it is tough for middle income retirees.

Appears same thing is happening at the grocery store. One can hardly afford to eat and restaurant prices are crazy. Often wonder how low income families survive since it is tough for middle income retirees.

I know, food prices are scary.

$1,619.00 USD*

DEALS INCLUDED

you said it yourself. It's summer pricing. Not the same as May

Dang, damd if you do damd if you don't, I started using the same April date to placate those of you who griped about apples/oranges....and I wasn't comparing months I was comparing years.

NCL is $2,467.42 for guarantee balcony on Escape....their pricing went from $599 up to $729 pp for inside when you went from 2016 to 2017.

All the pricing above is for last week in April, for an E1 or similar, with all taxes/fees. except my first post which was for July sailing.

I was making an observation and got pelted!

Guess I'll go back over to Celebrity board, they don't seem as critical as you ttguys. Been a while since posting here.

One thing that often comes into play when comparing spring prices from year-to-year is Easter. Easter 2016 was March 27. Easter in 2017 will be April 16 - might be causing some of the price increases.

RCCL is quickly pricing us right out of cruising!!! Dare I say we may be heading to Carni????? Looks like it. Or maybe now's the time to consider the Mexican rentals.

What in blue thunder is going on!!!

Just got off Explorer in May...35 night B2B/Transpacific was $1,670pp with $875 OBC. :eek:

Two weeks ago I booked a 14 night Transatlantic for April of 2017 for $699pp with $550 OBC. :D

Just booked an 8 night Pacific Coast on explorer for $374pp with $175 OBC. :)

(like ALL advertised cruises, prices quoted do not include taxes, tips, transfers, hotels, rental cars, or airfare)

I think the prices are just fine... never have ANY problem finding great deals. :o

Edited by teecee60

The other factor to consider is how far in advance did you book this past May's cruise on Liberty of the Seas? You can get better deals if you can book well over a year in advance, for which it would be too late for next July's sailings.

I am seeing the same as you BecciBoo. Prices are higher next year. We have a couple of things booked but while prices are on the rise we're going to take a land based vacation that we've been wanting to do for some time.

Also our August cruise has had big price drops on balcony cabins since final payment so last minute might also be the way to book.

Oddly, when I booked Harmony (Dec 2016) a year in advance, I have a D5 for $1881 (with all fees included). I already booked Adventure (Dec 2017) more than a year in advance, and got an E2 (higher category) for $1565 (with all fees included). In fact, that $1565 is still the price for an E2 on Adventure in 2017 (at least thru my TA who does get special rates for a certain block of staterooms).

We usually book a year or 2 in advance. The new Harmony is also way higher than the cruise we did on Allure, but that was couple years ago. I'm just saying the pricing is much higher compared from year to year.

Did not mean to cause a fire storm....but that's how I see it.

We aren't "giving up" RCCL , never said that, but it may affect our cruising frequency.

One thing that often comes into play when comparing spring prices from year-to-year is Easter. Easter 2016 was March 27. Easter in 2017 will be April 16 - might be causing some of the price increases.

Never noticed any higher pricing for Holidays except Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years. But maybe as you say. We were just trying to go with some cruise buds who already have one booked on Harmony and we were just shocked at the pricing on her....so we tried Liberty....and were equally shocked.

When we first booked Oasis on her maiden year, we got $899pp for a oceanview balcony and it has consistently gone up since then. Now an inside on Harmony is considerably more on her maiden year.

Like I said before, we'll have to save more money.:cool:

Edited by BecciBoo