Snobby Passengers??

These Are people in this very board , on the CArnival section.

I've seen at least 10 different people make the same comment.

I don't know if they are credible as I don't know them, hence my surprise and question

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

RCL is a mass market cruise like carnival. It's not a Regent or Oceania or Crystal. I don't know where you heard RCL attracts snobs, I have experienced no such thing.

I read it on this board! In this very section.

I read it on this board! In this very section.

of course its one of those stereo types thats based partly on the truth. younger party types love carinival as the fun ship and older more mature and serious folks like RC ships. i prefer the company of older mature people with a bit more class myself.

what happened that they caused a problem?

Hi DannyDriscoll,

This is what happened just before we went on our cruise we were deciding what type of cabin we were going to get and booked a JR Suite, but when the price dropped we switched to a Grand Suite and there were a few left, but this one person was not happy that she got a JR Suite, but we did not know it was ours that she got in till the meet and mingle and she told us that our mail and invitations were in her room and that she would make sure that we will get them. But that's not the end of the story when I was at the Meet and Mingle I had mention so someone that I was going to do Acupuncture and she must have overheard me. So when I got the invitation inside was a note saying that I could get a discount off on it. So I went to the SPA and brought the invitation along with the note and they told me that they do not do any discounts on it and that someone played a dirty trick on me. I went down to the customer service area and told them what happened and they were shocked that it had happened and they were very helpful with it. One other thing that happened on this cruise was that someone from another room there charges were showing up on our bill for the refrigerator which we did not use. Always check your bill statement because you never know what charges that are not yours will show up. Customer service fixed this to. Last Year when we were on another cruise we were in Saint Thomas and our driver left 15 of us stranded at Coral World and this tour was booked on the ship Oasis of the Seas.

We have mostly cruised Carnival and have found some cruises just more friendly than others. On RCCL, it was VERY friendly. And mostly British to boot- which is funny because of the "reserved British" stereotype, but we found we made new friends quickly on that cruise! It could be on another cruise (we have 2 future cruises booked on RCCL) we will find them to be less friendly, but our experience was positive in the past.

So far we have only cruised on Carnival, but to be clear it's because the price, dates and ports were what we were looking for. I'm not a die hard supporter of any cruise line/resort/etc.

To be clear, my husband and I usually cruise with our boys (five of them, though our next cruise in January our two oldest will not be with us-military got them instead! :( ) Though we are trying to do more things as a couple, now that our boys are older. I am a fairly reserved person, I like to have fun, but I'm not always the best at meeting new people. I would hardly call myself rude or unfriendly, just a bit on the shy side when it comes to putting myself out there in large groups where I do not know anyone.

We have booked a cruise on RCCL for this upcoming January. We got an amazing deal, and the kids were thrilled to try something new. To be honest, so were my husband and I.

What I'm really surprised about is how many people say that guests on RCCL, and even the staff are snobs.

Maybe I'm wrong, but making such a harsh judgment about someone you don't know seems pretty snobby to me.

And can we really say that there aren't snobs on CCL? I know I sure met a few on our three cruises...and a few of them took the cake! sheesh!

Is RCCL really that bad? I'm hoping for some unbiased opinions, as I'm just not one of those gals that's going to be a die hard CCL fan/RCCL/NCL etc...I've not been treated yet to anything that would inspire that sort of loyalty from me.

Hi DannyDriscoll,

This is what happened just before we went on our cruise we were deciding what type of cabin we were going to get and booked a JR Suite, but when the price dropped we switched to a Grand Suite and there were a few left, but this one person was not happy that she got a JR Suite, but we did not know it was ours that she got in till the meet and mingle and she told us that our mail and invitations were in her room and that she would make sure that we will get them. But that's not the end of the story when I was at the Meet and Mingle I had mention so someone that I was going to do Acupuncture and she must have overheard me. So when I got the invitation inside was a note saying that I could get a discount off on it. So I went to the SPA and brought the invitation along with the note and they told me that they do not do any discounts on it and that someone played a dirty trick on me. I went down to the customer service area and told them what happened and they were shocked that it had happened and they were very helpful with it. One other thing that happened on this cruise was that someone from another room there charges were showing up on our bill for the refrigerator which we did not use. Always check your bill statement because you never know what charges that are not yours will show up. Customer service fixed this to. Last Year when we were on another cruise we were in Saint Thomas and our driver left 15 of us stranded at Coral World and this tour was booked on the ship Oasis of the Seas.

unfortunate i tend to stay away from mingling, i find people to be often petty and jealous. probably she was jealous you had a GS and she paid the same for a JR suite. why cant people just enjoy a vacation?

I really try to avoid and ignore snobby passengers, it only bothers me when they are snobby toward the staff, and try to treat them like slaves at their beck and call. That REALLY bothers me to no end! I have never found a staff member to be snobby, just hard working people who rely on our tips to feed their families.

People are people, you're never going to change them so just avoid them,or put up with them - in the end its up to ,you to not let others dictate how you feel or how you enjoy your holiday.

If you feel inferior to snobbery then that's something you need to deal with. Most of these people are strangers and have no impact whatsoever on your life (or shouldn't have).

My life has bounced around from mixing and being with the have's and the have nots, and in both areas you find snobbery of some kind (there are also inverted snobs).

What I don't understand is why people want to better others - as though they feel better making someone else feel inferior. It actually makes them lonelier people in the long run.

Just laugh at it and get on with enjoying your holiday x

The other thing is, it depends what your definition of snob is.

I was laughing with my sister in law over the weekend as she feels holidays is all about getting to know new people, she talks to people in elevators, hot tubs, anywhere. On the other hand I really, really don't want to mingle other than the odd quick conversation. Our DD meets friends and we don't see her usually for a fortnight, so the two of us have our own table wherever possible, and want some time to ourselves. We spend all year very busy at work and with friends, and although I love people I just want some peace and quiet.

I don't think that makes me a snob. We just use our cruises for down time.

I really try to avoid and ignore snobby passengers, it only bothers me when they are snobby toward the staff, and try to treat them like slaves at their beck and call. That REALLY bothers me to no end! I have never found a staff member to be snobby, just hard working people who rely on our tips to feed their families.

It's the clicking of the fingers and lack of eye contact, manners and acknowledgement that annoys me (not just on cruise ships). Why can't people say thank you?

These Are people in this very board , on the CArnival section.

I've seen at least 10 different people make the same comment.

I don't know if they are credible as I don't know them, hence my surprise and question

A lot of it comes from the snide remarks when questions are asked about things pertaining to a one cruiseline. It rubs somebody the wrong way and then it starts. Doesn't matter which cruiseline. And trolling is the other problem. I saw it happen just this past week, it started out nice and helpful, but than it was trolled.

Edited by sammee
Deleted a couple words by accident.

I had read the criticism about RCL passengers who had these perks, specifically in reference to passengers who were Diamond +. I traveled on a TA where many passengers had this status. I found no one who was at all snobbish or talked much about the perks of frequent traveling with RCL. RCL became my favorite cruiseline after that TA.

Many times what people think are "snobs" are just people voicing their opinion. For example, I cruised Carnival a few times, and when I discovered that RCCL offers a better product, I talk about it. I don't look down on Carnival, but it can be perceived since I state, Carnival has less to offer, poor entertainment, and lack of fun activities. Does not make me or others a snob, because I noticed this.

I see snobs on Royal every cruise

All those Diamond and D+ cruisers with that special card that gets them behind those special doors.

I heard they get free drinks while the rest have to pay for their own drinks:eek:

Edited by jonbgd

We've sailed on a bunch of different lines and only ran into a few "snobs" . I have another name for them.

One crew member told me they call them "lovely's".

So remember that the next time you say that this is "lovely" or that is "lovely". You may just be a "lovely" too.

We have cruised both lines and made some wonderful friends on each. I don't think one is less snobby then the other. Like many other posters wrote, you find a mix of people on all lines. Just like in life, sometimes you "click" with someone, and sometimes you don't. I found the staff to be great on Royal and less friendly on carnival. Again, one incident wouldn't change my mind about cruising w/either line. Go and have a wonderful time and take the good w/the bad. Happy cruising!

I have cruised both lines and my general impressions are

Carnival: Mostly middle class couples/families/groups of friends, but some portion of the guests are ones who scraped up nickles and dimes for a long time to take the cruise and if ANYTHING goes wrong they are in trouble. I do read these things a lot on the Carnival boards.

RCI: Mostly middle class couples/families/groups of friends, but some portion of the guests are upper middle class or have considerable means to where RCI is not their only vacation in years, etc.

Onboard I haven't really experienced snobs, per se, but I have met people who immediately start telling me their collection of assets and values...I was just curious where they're from and how they're enjoying vacation. I don't think it's snobby so much as just a bit showy and no real harm.

We all know REAL snobs look down on RCI anyways. :D

We've been on 19 cruises so far and I can honestly say that we've only met one SNOB, and it was on the "Adventure of the Seas". This so-called gentleman was out of NYC and was a total jerk! A retired travel agent that bragged to everyone at the table that he was on his 50th cruise, that he was staying in the Owner's suite that even had a baby grand piano in it, and he would speak for everyone at the table. When he asked me where I worked, I told him that I worked in the Toyota auto plant in Kentucky. He responded by saying "oh, you took away a job from an American!". Born and raised in the good ole USA, I was highly offended! And when my wife stated the she worked for our local school system, he said "surely you're not a cook in the cafeteria, are you?". And, yes, she actually was! It didn't take long for us to leave this guy with the rest of his comrades, so that he could enjoy his piano in his suite while we had a fabulous cruise!

Sir, I hope that you read this so that you realize that you truly did make an impression on us. But it hardly was a good impression!

:cool: Bill

We've been on 19 cruises so far and I can honestly say that we've only met one SNOB, and it was on the "Adventure of the Seas". This so-called gentleman was out of NYC and was a total jerk! A retired travel agent that bragged to everyone at the table that he was on his 50th cruise, that he was staying in the Owner's suite that even had a baby grand piano in it, and he would speak for everyone at the table. When he asked me where I worked, I told him that I worked in the Toyota auto plant in Kentucky. He responded by saying "oh, you took away a job from an American!". Born and raised in the good ole USA, I was highly offended! And when my wife stated the she worked for our local school system, he said "surely you're not a cook in the cafeteria, are you?". And, yes, she actually was! It didn't take long for us to leave this guy with the rest of his comrades, so that he could enjoy his piano in his suite while we had a fabulous cruise!

Sir, I hope that you read this so that you realize that you truly did make an impression on us. But it hardly was a good impression!

:cool: Bill

We were in Owner's Suite #1600 last December on the Adventure of the Seas. The Owner's Suites on RC do not have a baby grand piano, but the Royal Suite does.

We have cruised on both cruise lines and have always "fit in" with people of all walks of life. We are not rich. We are not snobs. We are every day people who love to cruise. While we have enjoyed Carnival, we have enjoyed Royal Caribbean more. This is our preference.

Happy cruising everyone!

So far we have only cruised on Carnival, but to be clear it's because the price, dates and ports were what we were looking for. I'm not a die hard supporter of any cruise line/resort/etc.

To be clear, my husband and I usually cruise with our boys (five of them, though our next cruise in January our two oldest will not be with us-military got them instead! :( ) Though we are trying to do more things as a couple, now that our boys are older. I am a fairly reserved person, I like to have fun, but I'm not always the best at meeting new people. I would hardly call myself rude or unfriendly, just a bit on the shy side when it comes to putting myself out there in large groups where I do not know anyone.

We have booked a cruise on RCCL for this upcoming January. We got an amazing deal, and the kids were thrilled to try something new. To be honest, so were my husband and I.

What I'm really surprised about is how many people say that guests on RCCL, and even the staff are snobs.

Maybe I'm wrong, but making such a harsh judgment about someone you don't know seems pretty snobby to me.

And can we really say that there aren't snobs on CCL? I know I sure met a few on our three cruises...and a few of them took the cake! sheesh!

Is RCCL really that bad? I'm hoping for some unbiased opinions, as I'm just not one of those gals that's going to be a die hard CCL fan/RCCL/NCL etc...I've not been treated yet to anything that would inspire that sort of loyalty from me.

When on RC try and steer clear of the display and containment area known as the CL, this is where they are usually to be found from around 16.00 onwards, just to hog a seat to await the dispensing of free drinks. Not all in the CL are snobs.

I see snobs on Royal every cruise

All those Diamond and D+ cruisers with that special card that gets them behind those special doors.

I heard they get free drinks while the rest have to pay for their own drinks:eek:

Hey, Johnny Be Good, by the time you have paid for 12 to 15 cruises it's nice to be able to have a free drink or two. I'm not a big fan of the lounges though. On our March cruise, three drinks were loaded into the card and you could drink them at any bar between 4:30 and 8:30. How far are you from Diamond. We have been cruising eight years now. If you do one a year, it will take you about the same amount of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Want to figure out if you're cruising with snobs? Walk into the MDR on formal night wearing jeans and a polo. The snobs will pop their heads up like Meerkats in the Kalahari.

This is so true! Made me laugh!