Rccl phasing out library rooms?

The library on Explorer is still on deck 7, aft centrum. The card and game rooms on deck 14 were changed into Izumi.

Thank you Bob

Do you know if they have put the cards & games anywhere else?

If not, I'll just BYO UNO or something similar.

Thank you Bob

Do you know if they have put the cards & games anywhere else?

If not, I'll just BYO UNO or something similar.

Sorry, I don't know for sure with regard to Explorer, but I thought I saw some games in the library on Navigator.

So do I. I don't have an e-reader, and don't plan on getting one any time soon. There is nothing like relaxing with a real book in hand, which I don't have to recharge.

Please, RCCL, don't remove any more libraries. I love to sit in there when I want a quiet place to read.

I had an e reader - didn't like it and sold it. I much prefer regular books. Last fall on the Rhapsody there were large glass fronted cupboards with books. I and many more seemed to be borrowing. It was close to café latitudes so were lots of comfortable chairs by the windows if you wanted to stay in that area and read. People still donated books - there was a place to put them. Rest were signed in and out.

Might be as libraries are getting obsolete nowadays as we are now on the digital age.

One cruise line I know that has a huge library which they call explorations cafe is Holland America, but that is because the line caters more to the older crowd so is very classic, traditional and more old fashioned than other lines.

I spent most my time in their library during sea days..

It was still there in January but they had chairs in front of the bookcase. So, if people are sitting in the coffee bar area, they are blocking the books. Not a very good set up.

The location you refer to is where the library was moved to when the ship underwent its revitalization. Before then the library was a relatively small location on Deck 9 overlooking the Centrum. That area is now a new stateroom.

I hope they don't take away the libraries fleet wide. My family often takes vacations during the school year. This requires us to find a quiet spot to do schoolwork each day. My daughter has spent many hours in the libraries on Freedom and Explorer working and reading quietly.

I hope they don't take away the libraries fleet wide. My family often takes vacations during the school year. This requires us to find a quiet spot to do schoolwork each day. My daughter has spent many hours in the libraries on Freedom and Explorer working and reading quietly.

You don't get grief over that? When my kids were in school it was a major issue since school funding was tied to attendance

I have the former library booked on the Serenade next May. My undergraduate degree is in English so can provide book recommendations if anyone stumbles into the cabin looking for the library.

It's amazing how they can squeeze more cabins in during dry dock. Laura is in one now and we really didn't realize it until I was trying to show it to her on the brochure deck plans. 6137 on Freedom. I think it used to be a storage closet

Their are 2 ships that I know off that have no longer have library rooms. The Brillance is one. And when the Vision had their revitalization last fall, they put cabins in place of the library. The "library" is now on a small wall near the shops

Funny to read this today. Just last night I was watching a show called "Dream Cruises" about Brilliance OTS, and one of the ship features they gave a brief scene to was the library, showing one person sitting in it, and one browsing the shelves.

Granted, it didn't look much bigger than a generous walk-in closet. And I was on Brilliance a few years ago and have no memory of seeing a library.

It's amazing how they can squeeze more cabins in during dry dock. Laura is in one now and we really didn't realize it until I was trying to show it to her on the brochure deck plans. 6137 on Freedom. I think it used to be a storage closet

I researched the specific cabin I wanted before booking the serenade cruise last week while on the adventure. The next cruise guy finally asked me where the cabin was. He didn't have the updated deck plans.

I researched the specific cabin I wanted before booking the serenade cruise last week while on the adventure. The next cruise guy finally asked me where the cabin was. He didn't have the updated deck plans.

My wife booked me the Ben and Jerry sweet while on Freedom and the next cruise lady didn't know what it was. She had to call Miami to verify room number. :rolleyes:

Guest maddycat

I really don't think that RCI is doing away with the libraries on their ships. When we were on the Quantum last April it had a nice library. It's a secluded area on the balcony of Two 70. There were several computers and some very comfortable club chairs and sofas. There was a good assortment of books.

I read it all; paperbacks, hardcovers and my kindle. I love the cover for my kindle making it seem like I'm holding a book. One side is empty, the other side has the kindle. I wouldn't be happy holding a kindle without it. There were instances that I had some down time and since we usually book insides and PR cabins, the library provided a relaxing place to read. Sorry to read that the on board libraries might be phased out.

I read it all; paperbacks, hardcovers and my kindle. I love the cover for my kindle making it seem like I'm holding a book. One side is empty, the other side has the kindle. I wouldn't be happy holding a kindle without it. There were instances that I had some down time and since we usually book insides and PR cabins, the library provided a relaxing place to read. Sorry to read that the on board libraries might be phased out.

We have yet to be on an RCI ship where we couldn't find a quiet location where we could relax and/or read, whether that be in a library or elsewhere. Frequently we have noted in the Cruise Compass that a particular lounge has been designated a "Quiet Zone" for a certain number of hours.

We are ex librarians and the new e readers are what most are going to. Is it all bad yes and no older cruisers may want hard or paperback books but for the most part they are not cost effective. Many schools are using e readers in place of print text books so that, like it or not is the future.

I dislike the idea of using that "quiet space" for cabins but as we all know RC or other cruise lines are $$$$$$ first over cruiser likes or dislikes.

We have yet to be on an RCI ship where we couldn't find a quiet location where we could relax and/or read, whether that be in a library or elsewhere. Frequently we have noted in the Cruise Compass that a particular lounge has been designated a "Quiet Zone" for a certain number of hours.

The library on our last 3 Voyager class cruises was so convenient. It was practically outside of our cabin door. I also love that it overlooks the RP.

• 2 months later...

On Serenade, the library was changed to the "Book Nook" on Deck 5 Cafe Lattitudes in the Centrum. Libraries are supposed to be quiet, but not Lattitudes. Any performance on Deck 4 below can be heard all the way up to Deck 10. Can't believe anyone would want book the Royal Suite on deck 10 right next to the centrum. Must be noisy.

The post dry dock deck plans for the Liberty of the Seas show the current deck 10 concierge lounge as a Library/Card Room so keeping some sort of library seems to be in RCCL's plans. Although trying to read a book where others are playing cards might be a bit challenging.

I too enjoy turning the pages of a real book but I also enjoy having an amply supply of good books on my ipad when I am traveling. To me it seems a better option than weighing down my luggage with several pounds of books or depending on the ship's library to have something I want to read.

I am on the Grandeur. As posted earlier, there is no library, just a case with books which don't seem to be arranged in any particular order. The daily Sudoku and Trivia are here and maybe games. The Viking Crown was supposed to be quiet this afternoon but when I was there some people were babbling away in French or something and were a bit loud. I am in the Solarium and it is full of noisy kids.

• 2 weeks later...

Count me as one who still loves to read "real" books. Me darling wife uses a Kindle, but I just can't get used to it. There is always the problem of glare and keeping it charged. Also, if I leave it behind somewhere, there goes several hundred dollars.

Reading is one of my favorite forms of relaxation while on a cruise, be it on the beach, on the balcony, or just waiting for me darling wife to spend money in the shops.

I tend to bring along several paperbacks from the swap shop at home. When finished, I leave them in the ship library. It makes more room in the luggage for me darling wife to bring home bric-a-brac purchased on the cruise.;)

One of my first stops while exploring ship is to visit the library and see what is of interest. I was very disappointed in what someone else described as a "book nook" on our most recent Serenade cruise. It was the poorest excuse for a library that I have ever seen on a ship!

First RCCL eliminated The New York Times via Fax and now it looks as if the libraries will suffer the same fate. This is a sad commentary.:(