Am considering not using Royal in the future.

PEACE39742

Legend out of Qubec 10-23-2014, many issues

:(:mad:

We have cruised with Royal for 12 years and ran into the following issues:

-Toilet did not work when we boarded, fixed four hour later,

-Could not fit empty suit cases under bed; called for help none arrived and did it with my wife,

-The Centrum area during peformances, in particular the aerial, is so crowded my wife was bumped so hard she stumbled and almost fell,

-Centrum area during 50/60/70 dancing was also over crowded,

-Odors from toilets was detected in our corridor for two days,

-Under-utilizing other areas like "Anchor's Away" lounge.

-Two movies were shown in the Theater-no other shows were performed these nights. The center screen was dark and difficult to distinguish characters. The two side screen were not helpful.

-Our cabin during night time was very noisy all night because of ship noises; banging from outside ship.

-Over the past 5 cruises we've noticed a serious reduction in the quality of the food presented at both dinning room and Wind Jammer.

Good points about ship:

- Ship personnel were excellent; friendly and helpful,

- Diamond lounge was a joy, bar tenders were quick and courteous and the concierge was professional.

This is not the first report on toilet and smell issues with the RCI Legend, which is why we won't ever book a cruise on this ship.

Maybe the company will give it to Pulmantur next year when the Anthem debuts; the company will still have 5 Vision ships, plenty to do the Panama Canal and Venice, as well as the 4 Radiance ships.

-Toilet did not work when we boarded, fixed four hour later, but it WAS fixed. embtakation days are hugely busy.

-Could not fit empty suit cases under bed; called for help none arrived and did it with my wife, umm that is normal. if you do not open it up and slide it under flat of extra storage. again embarkation days are swamped with turnover and the muster drill.

-The Centrum area during peformances, in particular the aerial, is so crowded my wife was bumped so hard she stumbled and almost fell, again, what did you expect if the ship was full?

-Centrum area during 50/60/70 dancing was also over crowded, did you mention this at Guest services or on your survey?

-Odors from toilets was detected in our corridor for two days, common problem and there are a myriad of logical explanations to why they cannot ever completely get rid of the odor.

-Under-utilizing other areas like "Anchor's Away" lounge. define under utilizing?

-Two movies were shown in the Theater-no other shows were performed these nights. The center screen was dark and difficult to distinguish characters. The two side screen were not helpful. umm okay. what did you expect or feel entitled to?

-Our cabin during night time was very noisy all night because of ship noises; banging from outside ship. choose your location, choose your fate. did you specifically request that cabin without doing research> or did you book a guarantee knowing that you could end up anywhere? either way, ...

-Over the past 5 cruises we've noticed a serious reduction in the quality of the food presented at both dinning room and Wind Jammer. again, common knowledge across the board of all mainstream lines.

Good points about ship:

- Diamond lounge was a joy, bar tenders were quick and courteous and the concierge was professional.

all of those issues are minor, IMNSHO and not worth leaving a company I have established a relationship with.

You might consider giving Celebrity a try since your past RCCL cruises would count.

LuLu

I agree with "branching out" and think that trying Celebrity is a good suggestion.

But "counts" is a little ambiguous.

RC status above Gold will translate into Select or Elite status on Celebrity.

Points on the two lines do not combine. If you "switch" to Celebrity, you have to accumulate points THERE in order to advance in the Captain's Club.

Edited by Merion_Mom

all of those issues are minor, IMNSHO and not worth leaving a company I have established a relationship with.

I agree. Some recent threads have listed issues with various cruises that I would consider deal breakers. However, the above wouldn't be deal breakers for me. To each his own, I guess.

The issues on my last two RCI cruises that have me on the fence about returning involve awful customer service from the waiters as well as cabin attendants. If the staff don't care about the passengers, then the passengers will go elsewhere. I'm giving them another shot next year, so the staff on the Serenade need to step it up a notch for me to continue to sail with Royal.

-Could not fit empty suit cases under bed; called for help none arrived and did it with my wife,

-The Centrum area during peformances, in particular the aerial, is so crowded my wife was bumped so hard she stumbled and almost fell,

-Two movies were shown in the Theater-no other shows were performed these nights. The center screen was dark and difficult to distinguish characters. The two side screen were not helpful.

-Our cabin during night time was very noisy all night because of ship noises; banging from outside ship.

-Over the past 5 cruises we've noticed a serious reduction in the quality of the food presented at both dinning room and Wind Jammer.

Good points about ship:

Were they helpful or not helpful? :confused:

Were they helpful or not helpful? :confused:

If you read the ops post properly the unhelpful occasion was just once about luggage and I take the positive comments to be an overall statement about the crew in general. It's easy to see that these are two different things ???????

Good points about ship:

It is always nice to try other lines and compare. Each cruise line has its strengths and weaknesses, but I do think if you cruise an older ship, regardless of cruise lines, you will find things that are less than desirable. We ran into toilet and the noise issues, too, during our Alaskan cruise with Golden Princess. However, it did not stop us from cruising with Princess again but we just prefer RCCL and Celebrity...for now.

Like others, I think you might want to try Celebrity. diamonds get Elite status. Food and service are generally a step better. as elite, you will have either an evening cocktail venue or vouchers.

The plumbing problems can happen on any ship; no sure way to avoid those.

I'm not convinced it is the crew's job to get large luggage under your bed. Glad you manage to sort that out yourself.

Crowding at popular events can also happen on any ship; that could only be avoided if they forced people to get tickets to popular events like aerial show (or not holding them at all); even with tickets, there may be jostling for positions.

I am not happy with the attempt to make the Centrum area on Vision and Radiance class ships an entertainment venue. I got much more enjoyment in that space from the multi-story artwork, waterfalls, and soft-rock bands that used to reside there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The aerial shows are not every evening. We greatly enjoyed the one in the Centrum on our Southern Caribbean Legend cruise last year. Other nights, there were musicians there.

Edited by denamo

Sorry you we're pleased with the Legend. .

Add us to the list that doesn't understand what help was required to slide your bags under the bed. I generally lift the bed and DW sildes them under.

We are primarily Celebrity cruisers and just got off the Legend last Saturday. We found the the Diamond perks and Lounge were light years ahead of Celebrity. The martinis where ice cold and freshly made, our primary server Danielle had them at the ready for us.

Celebrity is still way nicer, but if you don't have the drink package on Celebrity (and like to drink, and are Diamond) there is no comparison. :)

Add us to the list that doesn't understand what help was required to slide your bags under the bed. I generally lift the bed and DW sildes them under.

Another way is to OPEN the suitcases to make them flatter and slide them under totally opened. ;)

LuLu

Good points about ship:

Many of us fell the same way about RCL. You may want to give Princess a serious try. Most reviews rate RCL and Princess to be comparable. The cruises are typically much cheaper and that should more than compensate for any loss in C&A benefits.

From my perspective, after my current booked cruises on Oasis and Allure... It will be ....

Hello Princess

Good points about ship:

The Legend is an old ship and has had similar complaints in the past. The toilet smell would bother me. I have cruised with RC for a long time but I normally pick Freedom class and newer ships that don't have the problems you listed above. I booked with Celebrity in 2016 since I didn't like any of the itineraries RC had in Europe.

You are always free to choose other cruise lines, compare and decide for yourself. I believe sometimes it's not the cruise line but the ship that matters in terms of service, food, etc. The only difference is the C&A loyalty member benefits -- no other cruise line offers such benefits.

Gail

I like the aerial show:)

I liked what I could see of the aerial show. But the viewing areas were very crowded. I feel like they took away a place for hours of quiet enjoyment to give us 20 minutes of intense action. That may appeal to some, but not me.

Took at Baltic cruise this Summer on Legend. The crew was Fantastic! We didn't smell any sewage except when we were in port. She is an older ship and probably has more nautical miles on her than any other ship in the fleet....she seems to be in a different part of the world every time I search her out.

Cruisers who would like to see the aerial show should get there early. Those who do not should find another venue during that evening.

I, for one, will miss her when she leaves.

Edited by Beachammo

We first started cruising on the Legend of the Seas in 2003. Since then we probably have cruised on her a half dozen times, the last one after her most recent drydock, and we still love her.

Just off of the Quantum, and for comparisons......there are none!

However, the Vision class is not full of children, travels the world, and is still a wonderful ship to sail on.

Our favorite is still the Radiance Class...........it still beats Quantum, for old time cruisers, like us!!

Rick

Edited by rubrrick

I liked what I could see of the aerial show. But the viewing areas were very crowded. I feel like they took away a place for hours of quiet enjoyment to give us 20 minutes of intense action. That may appeal to some, but not me.

How does a 20 minute show take away hours of quiet enjoyment?:confused: I found there was still quiet time with maybe some soft rock bands and the delightful Evergreen Trio with easy listening music and light dance music in the Centrum.:)