Cruise Lines Can't Do Versus Can Do !

EDLOS

The last morning of a cruise is a total waste.

I like to get off as soon as possible, and get on with my life.

Why should princess put you ahead of me?

It would appear that "Woman and Children First" would not enter your mind !

Gosh you really are a mean spirited bunch! Poor chap is obviously in a pickle and yes it would have been nice if the princess rep had been kinder. So could you be couldn't you? We've all been in a similar jam i think and it just makes us feel a bit better to get a little sympathy rather than take the attitude that it's all your own fault. Just be kind.

Glad I'm not sharing a cruise with any of you!

Gosh you really are a mean spirited bunch! Poor chap is obviously in a pickle and yes it would have been nice if the princess rep had been kinder. So could you be couldn't you? We've all been in a similar jam i think and it just makes us feel a bit better to get a little sympathy rather than take the attitude that it's all your own fault. Just be kind.

There is a difference between empathy (to understand & share the feelings of others) & sympathy (feelings of pity & sorrow for someone else's misfortune or bad luck). I'm sure most of those posting can feel "empathy" however not "sympathy" because the situation was caused by the OP not following the Princess guidelines. The OP has sailed many times & thus is aware that all cruise lines make policies to help passengers do things such as to reasonably make a flight.

The OP decided to ignore it & now expects Princess to change things for him and when they don't do it that is what he SHOUTS is terrible customer service. Ignore rules & blame someone else is too prevalent & the OP has decided that it's Princess' fault and not his. I disagree that this is a mean-spirited group because many times people go to great lengths to help those who find themselves in an unfortunate situation. However not as much when someone creates a problem then SHOUTS about it being the cruise lines' fault.

Reading the OP's roll call posts he mentioned his situation over a month ago & it was suggested that his best option was to pay the $150 for a taxi get to the airport. Apparently no one wanted to share the cost with him so now he's upset because Princess will not get him to the airport on time. On this thread he also posted that there were later flights & this was the only nonstop to Boston but the departure time he chose did not have the option to use a Princess transfer.

I think we can "emphasize" with his situation however cannot truly "sympathize" with it because it was his decision & nothing that Princess did wrong. He has the option to take a cab but doesn't want to pay the $150 & instead wants Princess to cover for him not following the Princess procedure...UNBELIEVABLE! :rolleyes:

Funny, because based on what little I see from the OP's few posts, I was thinking "Glad I'm not a Princess customer service rep." Remember, none of has any idea how things actually transpired. But..."Women and children first?" Really?

It would appear that "Woman and Children First" would not enter your mind !

You are correct.

Even if that were a reasonable assertion, hardly anyone would

apply it in a non-emergency situation.

Making an early flight, because a later flight is longer

--- not an emergency to most gentle readers.

I think it's just other people are just sick of the attitude of entitlement by some others, even when they create the problems themselves.

If you want the special treatment, shorter lines, better food, etc... be prepared to pay for them.

I think it's just other people are just sick of the attitude of entitlement by some others, even when they create the problems themselves.

If you want the special treatment, shorter lines, better food, etc... be prepared to pay for them.

Gosh you really are a mean spirited bunch! Poor chap is obviously in a pickle and yes it would have been nice if the princess rep had been kinder. So could you be couldn't you?
I disagree. The OP deliberately booked independent air and wants Princess to make special arrangements to mitigate his poor judgment. It's no different from the time I was waiting at the PSD and the person in front of me was berating the poor person at the desk to "fix" his issue with a private tour he'd booked and had problems with. He wanted Princess to refund his money and blackball the tour operator. Princess had nothing to do with the tour any more than they do with the OPs independent flight.

It's called taking personal responsibility and not blaming someone else for your mistakes and demanding that they fix it for you.

There is a difference between empathy (to understand & share the feelings of others) & sympathy (feelings of pity & sorrow for someone else's misfortune or bad luck). I'm sure most of those posting can feel "empathy" however not "sympathy" because the situation was caused by the OP not following the Princess guidelines. The OP has sailed many times & thus is aware that all cruise lines make policies to help passengers do things such as to reasonably make a flight.

The OP decided to ignore it & now expects Princess to change things for him and when they don't do it that is what he SHOUTS is terrible customer service. Ignore rules & blame someone else is too prevalent & the OP has decided that it's Princess' fault and not his. I disagree that this is a mean-spirited group because many times people go to great lengths to help those who find themselves in an unfortunate situation. However not as much when someone creates a problem then SHOUTS about it being the cruise lines' fault.

Reading the OP's roll call posts he mentioned his situation over a month ago & it was suggested that his best option was to pay the $150 for a taxi get to the airport. Apparently no one wanted to share the cost with him so now he's upset because Princess will not get him to the airport on time. On this thread he also posted that there were later flights & this was the only nonstop to Boston but the departure time he chose did not have the option to use a Princess transfer.

I think we can "emphasize" with his situation however cannot truly "sympathize" with it because it was his decision & nothing that Princess did wrong. He has the option to take a cab but doesn't want to pay the $150 & instead wants Princess to cover for him not following the Princess procedure...UNBELIEVABLE! :rolleyes:

One of the times I wish there was a "like" button, so instead I'll put a :)

You are correct.

Even if that were a reasonable assertion, hardly anyone would

apply it in a non-emergency situation.

Making an early flight, because a later flight is longer

--- not an emergency to most gentle readers.

Definitely not an emergency as there's always the option to take that later flight or stay overnight and take the earlier flight. A more urgent need would be if that flight he's trying to catch was the last flight out for a week. And I doubt if that's the case.

And the way he's reacting to the Princess reluctance to help him out of a jam he's created, I have to wonder what would happen even if they get him transportation to that airport and missed the flight anyway...he would be upset with Princess over that because they couldn't get the pilot to hold up the departure until he arrived.

Quite often overseas flights to the desired destination are not scheduled for later in the day at a time which would meet the guidelines.

This makes the alternative to the flight being an overnight stay to catch a flight the next day.

Which may well be what OP ends up doing.

I am told by Princess Cruise Lines that 5 hours and 20 minutes between docking at 6 AM, that they cannot get me to the airport that is 90 minutes away to catch my flight at 11:20 AM by their transfer.

Help me understand the NEW customer service standard that exists today !! Get in line ! Shut Up !

YUK!

Yup, it is all about clearing Customs. One cruise to Mexico 12 foreign nationals (not sure of nationality) just up and disappeared. They have to go through extra processing by Customs. So, all passengers were stuck in a "holding pattern" in lounges, theater etc. They searched the ship high and low, called on the PA for hours. Finally, located them. We cleared Customs 11:30 and disembarked thereafter. Glad a I brought a good book.:o

I can not even estimate the number of people that purchase a transfer to the airport and then do not use the tags. They opt for "walk off" and then approach the bus area and board a bus and start to complain that the bus isn't leaving (they are the only passengers on the bus)

They really go ballistic when told the bus has to wait for the people that have checked bags in the first group. I have no idea where they get the idea that a 56 passenger bus would leave to the airport with just them.

Then, of course, it is "Princess' fault and "we will never sail the %%$ line again.

This was the best quote I have read in a long time

Sometimes there just isn't a nice way to hear "No". and it becomes poor Customer Service when the customer does not get what they want.

So many posters have explained why the O.P.'s expectations may not be reality and it isn't a Customer Service Issue but is instead a Customer asking for something that can't be done.

Sometimes it is best to have a Plan "B".

As a veteran of more than 30 Ocean and River cruises I am well aware of connecting timetables and since my 11:20 flight is the ONLY non-stop to Boston versus other available multiple stop layovers taking 10 or more hours to get there, you can see why I choose it.

My complaint is the answer I got back from Princess...Nothing before 12 noon period

IT COULD HAVE BEEN " WE WILL EXPEDITE YOU AND YOUR LUGGAGE AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE TO HELP YOU GET ALTERNATIVE Transportation"

Just simple good CUSTOMER RELATIONS EFFORT !!!!!!

I'm curious as to what exactly you'd like Princess to do to expedite YOUR travel? :confused:

• Load your luggage so it can be offloaded first?
  • Slip the customs official a few bills to not have any problems with your bags?
  • Provide you with a motorcade to the airport (lights & sirens, of course) to disperse any traffic.
  • Slip airport security a few bills so you can skip the pesky security line and drive right onto the tarmac for boarding.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I wonder what flights would be available from one of the other ports on your itinerary? :rolleyes:

The OP is on Diamond, is an elderly solo traveler dragging his bags with a cane and is looking to avoid using the Japanese train system between the port (Yokohama) and the airport (unknown). Full taxi fare is roughly $150 USD and he was hoping Princess Xfer would get him there on time for cheaper.

Any more advice that involves arrival in a US port is a waste of your time.

I still think my advice would work...if only the haters at Princess would get with the program!! :D

• Load your luggage so it can be offloaded first?
  • Slip the customs official a few bills to not have any problems with your bags?
  • Provide you with a motorcade to the airport (lights & sirens, of course) to disperse any traffic.
  • Slip airport security a few bills so you can skip the pesky security line and drive right onto the tarmac for boarding.

We just got off the Island a couple days ago. At the MDR breakfast on disembarkation day we met 2 people who had to pay over $800 in flight change fees because they thought they could take a 5:00am flight out of Anchorage. They assumed since the ship got into port at 12:30am, they could leave then. Yikes!

I guess some people just don't do the extensive research that many of us do.

This has gotten to be somewhat of a funny conundrum. The fact is you can't even get 50% of passengers to actually READ the first paragraph of their boarding pass/e-ticket.

Or the part about what times check-in begins. Especially the ones who show up at 9:30 am and want to be checked in.

Disembarking has ALWAYS been a couple to a few hours after docking, they are not really associated with one another. If a ship comes in early, don't depend on CBP to also be early. They take their sweet time and someone rushing them actually makes them slow down out of spite.

Or a sniffer dog poops on the carpeting and closes off one of the gangways. (ask Pam)

HAHAHAHAHA I'm LMAO!!!! Thats the part that gets me. You go on a beautiful relaxing cruise, and then--they want off the ship and on a plane by 7am. If you are on vacation--plan an extra day. One night in a hotel, then an early flight the next day won't upset you life. If if does, maybe you should rethink a cruise, or any vacation for that matter.

If he is going from Yokohama to the international airport at Narita the best way would be to take a taxi to Yokohama train station and then catch a YCAT bus to Narita, they leave about every 15 minutes and take about an 1:30 minutes to get to Narita. Total cost would be in the $50 dollar range for local taxi and YCAT. YCAt takes you directly to the terminal.

Don't complain about Princess customer service. They tell people what they will support with transfers. Not their fault if someone doesn't like what they offer. Narita is quite a ways even from Tokyo let alone Yokohama which is on the other side of Tokyo.

Prior to the advent of the Internet companies tended to provide more help because the information on alternatives was not easily available. Today a search using "transportation yokohoma narita" would generate far more information about alternatives then Princess customer service could provide. Also if they provided recommendations about any alternative outside of their control someone might claim them to be responsible if something goes wrong. So either use their offerings or find your own way, but don't blame them when you don't choose their solutions.

Edited by RDC1