Cruise Lines Can't Do Versus Can Do !

EDLOS

As stated, depending where your ship is coming from, it has to clear customs. then the crew has to be cleared. Then all the luggage has to be sniffed. Then the agents have to have breakfast. It is not just "let's tie up and everybody get off." It has nothing to do with customer service. Once the ship has docked, it's all in the hands of customs and immigration and not Princess in control.

LOL...love this!!!

Princess has their set safe time parameters for matching transfers with flights.

Nothing says you can't book your own private transportation.

Why get PO'd at Princess?

As a veteran of more than 30 Ocean and River cruises I am well aware of connecting timetables and since my 11:20 flight is the ONLY non-stop to Boston versus other available multiple stop layovers taking 10 or more hours to get there, you can see why I choose it.

My complaint is the answer I got back from Princess...Nothing before 12 noon period

IT COULD HAVE BEEN " WE WILL EXPEDITE YOU AND YOUR LUGGAGE AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE TO HELP YOU GET ALTERNATIVE Transportation"

Just simple good CUSTOMER RELATIONS EFFORT !!!!!!

As a veteran of more than 30 Ocean and River cruises I am well aware of connecting timetables and since my 11:20 flight is the ONLY non-stop to Boston versus other available multiple stop layovers taking 10 or more hours to get there, you can see why I choose it.

My complaint is the answer I got back from Princess...Nothing before 12 noon period

IT COULD HAVE BEEN " WE WILL EXPEDITE YOU AND YOUR LUGGAGE AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE TO HELP YOU GET ALTERNATIVE Transportation"

Not having been a party to the call or e-mail, I don't know the specific of what was asked and said. You initial complaint, in fact, had less to do with Customer Service's attitude than with the fact they couldn't arrange their transfer service to suit your schedule.

I have never made a reasonable request to Princess in a polite tone that wasn't dealt with at least a semi-satisfactory manner, but I'm sure it happens. If you've been on Princess before, you know that it is easy to ask the purser's desk to get you off the ship as early as possible. Usually being in an early group involves taking a Princess flight or tour, or doing self-disemarkation, which you are apparently physically unable to manage. AFAIK, disembarkation time is something that gets arranged once you're onboard. Giving the desk some lead time will get you off the ship as early as practical. Really. It's happened to me. (As has having had to wait an hour or more past scheduled walk-off time.)

Most of us who've taken a few cruises know that a scheduled 6:00 docking time, followed by having to clear international customs, pick up your luggage, and travel 90 minutes for a 9:20 arrival for an 11:20 international flight is a pretty iffy proposition at best. And - no offense, and you may in person be the most charming man in the world - the petulant tone of your posts (and you don't have to SHOUT) doesn't inspire a lot of sympathy, which is why you got the responses you did.

Have a good cruise.

Edited by shepp

Well, that's their guidelines. There's nothing a Customer Service agent could have helped you with beyond telling you about their guidelines and possibly informing you of early walk-off. But that can only be arranged onboard...

Well, that's their guidelines. There's nothing a Customer Service agent could have helped you with beyond telling you about their guidelines and possibly informing you of early walk-off. But that can only be arranged onboard...

Plus the early walk off is for passengers who can handle their own luggage.

From the OP's shouty message, it seems like he's expecting special treatment (over other passengers) just because of his flight arrangements. If that's the only flight time that is acceptable to the OP, maybe he should have just stayed over that night in a hotel near enough the airport.

Actually, there's not much the Princess rep could've done for you. It's up to YOU to make arrangements ONBOARD!!!

You booked the flight that was most convenient for you without consulting Princess and now, the odds of your making your flight have decreased..

What did you want the Princess rep to do? Tell you the captain will make sure to dock on time?

When you book independent arrangements, you assume all responsibility for making sure the flight time and other factors are appropriate. This was your choice. Princess (nor any other cruise line) has no obligation to offer special accommodation for someone who makes their own plans. It has nothing to do with customer relations since you chose not to book your flight through Princess.

Since you are so experienced, I am surprised that you didn't take into consideration the time needed to disembark the ship and get to the airport in time for your flight.

Edited by Pam in CA

... but if someone gives you an answer you don't want to hear....

So true

Sometimes there just isn't a nice way to hear "No". and it becomes poor Customer Service when the customer does not get what they want.

So many posters have explained why the O.P.'s expectations may not be reality and it isn't a Customer Service Issue but is instead a Customer asking for something that can't be done.

Sometimes it is best to have a Plan "B".

So true

Sometimes there just isn't a nice way to hear "No". and it becomes poor Customer Service when the customer does not get what they want.

So many posters have explained why the O.P.'s expectations may not be reality and it isn't a Customer Service Issue but is instead a Customer asking for something that can't be done.

Sometimes it is best to have a Plan "B".

Yes plan "B", book your own transfer.

Sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees. :cool:

What your asking is for them to make an exception for YOU. Because you didn't want to follow the guidelines and now your all upset at Princess. You could have simply stayed a night in Japan and caught your non stop flight home the next day.

For someone so experienced in cruising you seemed to have made a rookie mistake!

Since you booked the flight that you wanted now book a limo service to get you to the airport. Stop blaming Princess for your choices.

They did not give yiu the answer you wanted because they have guidelines to follow, and they cannot single out specific customers as they have thousands of others to care for too. If they did, it would be a logistics nightmare. Also, if they gave you any other answer, and it didn't work out, then you would be demanding compensation, or threatening a lawsuite.

That is why they set generic guidelines, so you can make transfers smoothly.

Getting upset not getting the answer you want to hear is just childish

[quote=EDLOS;43798680

The last morning of a cruise is a total waste.

I like to get off as soon as possible, and get on with my life.

Why should princess put you ahead of me?

Plus the early walk off is for passengers who can handle their own luggage.

From the OP's shouty message' date=' it seems like he's expecting special treatment (over other passengers) just because of his flight arrangements. If that's the only flight time that is acceptable to the OP, maybe he should have just stayed over that night in a hotel near enough the airport.[/quote']

Does the OP think he is the only one who wants to take an earlier flight?

Does the OP think he is the only one who wants to take an earlier flight?

No. I do not think the OP is looking for special treatment.

The Princess guidelines allow for some delays that are out of normal timing.

There are no doubt other cruisers on the ship who also have flights earlier than the suggested time.

The question to be answered by those who ended a cruise in Yokohama is:

a) What time was docking scheduled? and

b) What time was the first xfer to NRT scheduled?

In our case the ship was scheduled to dock at 8 AM and the group for the first Xfer to NRT was scheduled to meet at 8:45 AM, 45 minutes later. Once we were off the ship, it was 90 minutes to NRT.

So, with a scheduled 6 AM arrival, it is possible the first xfer group will meet by 7 AM and be at NRT by 9:30 AM if on time. Is that early enough to make the flight? Maybe yes, maybe no. Two hours before flight time is cutting it close.

Edited by caribill

The original poster wrote:

It seems to me 'expedite' is special treatment.

Another poster said the OP was elderly and needed a cane to walk. Therefore, it is unlikely that he can do a walkoff and handle his own luggage etc.

Clearly, he IS looking for special treatment.