Just Off the Star

rayandshirl

:)I will write a review of our 7/6 to 7/17 cruise from San Francisco to Alaska and back on the Star soon but just wanted to say that Princess did it again -- another perfect cruise from start to finish.

:)

We are on the Star in August and I would like to know when your boarding started. We are Platinum for the first time and wonder how SF handles this. We did the BVE on the Star last month and the sign on the door said boarding would begin at 1PM. What was your experience?

Thanks,

dz

We got off the Star the day you boarded. We also had a wonderful cruise.

CA Dave, this was my first cruise at Platinum.

We arrived at the pier around 12:15-12:20, gave our luggage to a porter, then my husband drove our car to the parking garage. We waited outside for him and he was back by about 12:35-12:40. The line was very short (if it had gotten long, we would have jumped in hoping he could catch us). We went inside and were directed to the priority check-in (even though I was the only one who was Platinum). We then went to the wine table, then through security, had our picture taken and were to our cabin by about 12:52.

Having read many horror stories about boarding in SF, I was pleasantly surprised.

Who is the cruise director on the Star these days? I also really look forward to reading your review. Thanks in advance for taking the time to do it!

Thanks,

Tom

Edited by tserface

We were also in the July 6-17 sailing. Our ferry arrived at pier 41 at 11:20am. We walked the few blocks to the ship, checked in, went thru security, paid our corkage (this took the longest) and boarded the ship immediately. We were in our cabins about 12:15. Easiest embarkation and disembarkation EVER. They called all remaining groups to disembark at 10:00am! The Cruise Director is Paul Chandler Burns.

Edited by 04acruise

We walked the few blocks to the ship, checked in, went thru security, paid our corkage (this took the longest) and boarded the ship immediately.

How many bottles did you bring that you had to pay the corkage fee ?

and how much did they charge you per bottle ?

Thanks.

:)I will write a review of our 7/6 to 7/17 cruise from San Francisco to Alaska and back on the Star soon but just wanted to say that Princess did it again -- another perfect cruise from start to finish.

:)[/quote

Awesome! I look forward to your review.

We brought on 7 bottles for 3 people. We paid corkage on 4 bottles. Corkage was $15 per bottle. Each bottle was looked at to confirm that it was wine. They give you stickers to put on the bottles you want bring to the dining room so they don't charge you corkage twice.

Edited by 04acruise

We brought on 7 bottles for 3 people. We paid corkage on 4 bottles. Corkage was $15 per bottle. Each bottle was looked at to confirm that it was wine. They give you stickers to put on the bottles you want bring to the dining room so they don't charge you corkage twice.

Thanks for the info - looks like they really enforced now :(

Rayandshirl, looking forward to your review. First time Princess passenger here, will be boarding the Star on October 11th. (Right now that's one of the few facts of life keeping me sane!)

:)

Looking forward to your review. This cruise is on my bucket list.

We were on the same Star cruise.

Were the first to be let into the terminal a little past 11:00am.

No table set up to check in wine when we went past security. Looks like they had one later. We are Elite, directed to special Elite area upstairs to wait. There was coffee and pastries for us.

We were on this cruise also. All in all a good time, boarding with no problems, great staff, etc.

Traveling with a 20 month old was fun and crew were spectacular in accomodating us in every possible way! Our only big concern will be addressed with Princess by letter. We use the Lotus spa showers for our little one (mom sits on a chair in the shower using the water wand). While assisting my daughter in one stall an elderly woman (80+) in the next stall was "locked" in her shower stall. She was understandably frantic, unable to get the door open. I attempted to get the door open--stuck or such--and she was near collapse once accomplished. This dear soul did not speak English and was traumatized by this several minute episode. I made sure she was ok and reported the incident to the Lotus spa manager. Her less than stellar response will eventuate my communication with Princess. The following day I checked the same shower--no signage, nothing indicating it was still problematic (I asked for signage at the least). I reported this to Passenger Services and was told a "construction crew" would be informed. I asked for signage or similar and until the end of the cruise nothing was in place. This lack of concern I find appalling and the liability for the Company is clear.

The shortage of staff was very apparent. Princess may be doiing some cost-cutting, but at what real cost? The current staff are to be commended--they are fabulous!

msk1