Cruising from New York

Hi All,

I am looking at a cruise from New York to the Caribbean in January 2018.

The itinerary is great and would be great to spend a few days in New York pre cruise.

However ,as its January I am concerned about the weather. There's 3 sea days to start , the first of which is likely to be freezing but not sure what to expect after that.

If anyone can can give us any info on what to expect that would be great.

Cheers

Bob.

I have cruised from New York, but I personally would never do it in January. There could be BIG problems with weather hindering embarkation/disembarkation. I can understand wanting to spend a few days in NYC, but I don't know if January is a pleasant time to enjoy being in the city. But this is only my opinion. Many people do cruise from NYC year round, and the cruise lines would not be offering it if they could not get enough passengers to make it profitable. When I have cruised from any eastern US port, it seems that most of the people I meet have driven to the ship.

Have not done the cruise myself but i have read about it. The First sea day will be pretty cold, so mostly an inside day, but anthem has that great indoor pool erea. The second seaday i think you are at level with Orlando, so tanning in the sun should be possible if the weather is with you (depends on cold fronts etc). Third sea day is basicly in the Caribbean.

We cruised from Bayonne in December on Quantum a few years ago with an interesting itinerary. We had a great trip. As another poster said, we spent the cooler days at the indoor pool area, and also at the bumper cars, roller skating, etc. There are plenty of fun inside things to do on Quantum class ships.

The only "hassle" was having to pack both winter and summer weight clothing, so we had one extra suitcase.

Hi All,

I am looking at a cruise from New York to the Caribbean in January 2018.

The itinerary is great and would be great to spend a few days in New York pre cruise.

However ,as its January I am concerned about the weather. There's 3 sea days to start , the first of which is likely to be freezing but not sure what to expect after that.

Cheers

Bob.

I would expect brutally unpleasant weather in NYC. Do you really have to go in January?

There are no Royal Caribbean ships that sail out of New York. The Anthem sails out of New Jersey. Personally, I would never cruise out of NJ in January. It is very cold and you are taking the risk of snow storms. Granted, the Anthem is a cold weather ship and has MANY indoor venues keeping you busy, but I would not want to waste two days down and two days back, not being able to be on the pool deck due to weather. Just my opinion.

Sailed the Quantum on Feb. 2, 2015 on a 12 nite sail to the Carib. When we left it was sleeting. What a view from 2x70 lounge. The next AM our balcony rail was full of ice. Only one day was it uncomfortable, but a lot of things to do inside. We loved it very much. On the way back, it was sunny as anything, but upon reaching Nassau, we encountered a storm and endured waves up to 25 ft. Other than the squeaking the ship was fantastic. Upon arriving in Bayonne, the outside temperature effect was -12 degrees.

Ps. You will enjoy the Anthem no matter what the weather is. We sailed her in August, ,16 on a 9 nite NE/ Canada itinerary and have a similar itinerary as the Quantum sailing on Jan. 28, 2018.

We sailed the Quantum in January 2015 and will sail the Anthem this January. A great ship with loads of in door space including 2 indoor pool areas. As for doing things in NYC in January, yes it can be bad weather or just cold. There is lots to do in doors, museums, shopping, theatre, etc. Yes there can be snow, so just pack a little extra warm clothing and have a good time. NY doesn't stop in January.

There are no Royal Caribbean ships that sail out of New York. The Anthem sails out of New Jersey. Personally, I would never cruise out of NJ in January. It is very cold and you are taking the risk of snow storms. Granted, the Anthem is a cold weather ship and has MANY indoor venues keeping you busy, but I would not want to waste two days down and two days back, not being able to be on the pool deck due to weather. Just my opinion.

While you are technically accurate, for those of us who have to fly to New York, the port in New Jersey is pretty much the same as New York. One can easily stay in Jersey City and take a direct train to Manhattan.

To the OP, the risk of weather will be an issue in any weather month- we once sailed from Baltimore in Feb, and the first day was not exactly smooth. But then the days we spent in the Caribbean were pretty awesome. So if the best of the best deal is in Feb, so be it.

While you are technically accurate, for those of us who have to fly to New York, the port in New Jersey is pretty much the same as New York. One can easily stay in Jersey City and take a direct train to Manhattan.

????? I do not understand your above statement. The cruise port is in NJ. What does the airport or where you are staying have to do with anything? If what you say made sense to me, then I could say... the Manhattan cruise port is in NJ because I land in Newark and it is easily accessible by train. :confused:

Edited by champagne123

We sailed Anthem in February and it was very cold leaving Bayonne but we loved looking at the New York skyline in the distance. It was too cold to be out on deck for the first day but it gradually got warmer as you go south. We did not run into any snow leaving or coming back, but we would have loved to see that.

It really depends on what you are looking for, if you want to be outside sunning as soon as you board, than this isn't the cruise for you. If you enjoy sailing from different ports at different times of the year, then this is it.

We also enjoy NYC in the winter. Walking through Central Park and even sledding, is a unique experience.

????? I do not understand your above statement. The cruise port is in NJ. What does the airport or where you are staying have to do with anything? If what you say made sense to me, then I could say... the Manhattan cruise port is in NJ because I land in Newark and it is easily accessible by train. :confused:

For most of us, New Jersey's port IS New York. So pointing out that it's not does not apply to those of us who fly there.

The port feature is New York.

For most of us, New Jersey's port IS New York. So pointing out that it's not does not apply to those of us who fly there.

Exactly, the OP is coming from Wales. I am sure NYC is the draw, not Bayonne, NJ.

It is just like advertising Oasis from Orlando(Port Canaveral). I am pretty sure there are no ships sailing from International Drive but the Orlando area attractions are the draw, along with the cruise ships nearby.

Like everyone said, it's going to be COLD. But don't allow the weather to let you down. NYC, regardless the time of year, is a fantastic city. Taking a walk in Central Park will be chilly but take in the atmosphere and the culture. Get a hot dog from a stand, walk through Times Square at night and go people watching.

I see you're from Wales. We took a bus from London to Cardiff. Loved it there!

Exactly, the OP is coming from Wales. I am sure NYC is the draw, not Bayonne, NJ.

It is just like advertising Oasis from Orlando(Port Canaveral). I am pretty sure there are no ships sailing from International Drive but the Orlando area attractions are the draw, along with the cruise ships nearby.

THIS I understand.....but I was merely pointing out that the cruise port was in NJ, not NY. (and yes, who would be interested in Bayonne). All the more reason to point this out IS the fact that the OP is from Wales. It can be very confusing to people from the UK, etc. in trying to make arrangements.

Edited by champagne123
xxxx

I could also say the NY port is NJ as many beachgoers from NY visit our fine beaches. Also, don't forget that the Statue of Liberty is in NJ.

I could also say the NY port is NJ as many beachgoers from NY visit our fine beaches. Also, don't forget that the Statue of Liberty is in NJ.

AND....while we are on the subject....NY GIANTS AND NY JETS are in NEW JERSEY!!!!! (should I be proud of that? LOL) :eek:

Hi All,

Cheers

Bob.

Bob - it seems like everyone is giving you opinions on the weather in New York in January, but if I understand your question correctly, you are asking about the weather in the Caribbean in January. If so, then my answer is that the weather in the Caribbean in January is fantastic - warm and sunny.

THIS I understand.....but I was merely pointing out that the cruise port was in NJ, not NY. (and yes, who would be interested in Bayonne). All the more reason to point this out IS the fact that the OP is from Wales. It can be very confusing to people from the UK, etc. in trying to make arrangements.

And people stay in Manhattan, too. If I were flying from Europe, it's more likely that I will stay in Manhattan over New Jersey.

When I cruised out of Civitavecchia, I didn't stay there, I stayed in Rome. Heck, even the airport hotels are WAY closer to the port, but Rome is the destination.

The way you put it is as if the port was in Boston vs New York, when the reality of taking a vacation is Bayonne, New Jersey = Manhattan for most of us. It's vacation. Elizabethtown may be a cheap and fine place to stay, but I'm not going on a cruise out of Metro New York to stay in a hotel mall. I'm going to Manhattan, as that is the place to see.

Bob - it seems like everyone is giving you opinions on the weather in New York in January, but if I understand your question correctly, you are asking about the weather in the Caribbean in January. If so, then my answer is that the weather in the Caribbean in January is fantastic - warm and sunny.

I just looked at the itinerary, it is a 12 night Southern Caribbean sailing with three sea days at beginning and three at the end. Six beautiful port days in a row will be tiring but should be nice and warm. Prices look good too.

OP- again, this statement is technically true, but the ferry service is from the south tip of Manhattan, New York City.

Again, pointing out that the vacation destination isn't New Jersey- it's just the port.

I just looked at the itinerary, it is a 12 night Southern Caribbean sailing with three sea days at beginning and three at the end. Six beautiful port days in a row will be tiring but should be nice and warm. Prices look good too.

We usually cruise from Floridain Jan./Feb, but I was able to convince my better half, that for the price of a 7 nite Carib. cruise (including airfare), we'll get 12 cruise nights and 7 sunny & warm days.

OP- again, this statement is technically true, but the ferry service is from the south tip of Manhattan, New York City.

Again, pointing out that the vacation destination isn't New Jersey- it's just the port.

OP, also please note that other Cruise Lines that do sail out of NY / Manhattan. If your goal is to see NYC as part of your vacation, sailings from there might be more convenient.

To your original question, yes it's cold in NYC in January and quite pleasant in the Caribbean. So packing will definitely be interesting for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Your statement was a put down. Also, keep in mind, that they closed the bridge from NJ to the Statue of Liberty so that it would not take away from the ferry. Last comment on my part.